Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

physeter posted:

With that said, the Romans had an intricate system of military decorations and the electorate had a deep reverence for it. So yes, if you went off to war as a teenager and managed to score a corona muralis or something, you might skip aedileship and move straight on to quaestor (the office between aedile & praetor). Keep in mind that deliberately trying to win high-end decorations in the Roman army was like playing Russian roulette with 4 chambers loaded, so this was not a Good Plan unless you were suicidal.

When you're saying trying to get high end decorations was most likely suicide, was this because you'd be smacked down for being an ambitious little poo poo risking lives for no reason, probably be killed due to the dangerous acts necessary to get them, or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

veekie posted:

Yeah but based on what Western history shows, conflict drives practical, applicable innovations. Improvements in production to feed the war, innovations in logistics and military technologies, but philosophers need to be fed, and coming up with Confucianism, Daoism and Legalism doesn't quite seem like the kind of thing a military-led scenario would fuel.

I don't think Western history shows that at all. Conflict brings out all sorts of responses, look at all the art and poetry and pacifism that arose after WW1 for example, or the Renaissance, which featured among other things half of Italy trying to kill or conquer the other half. Political ideas are very often a practical and applicable innovation because when you're in the midst of chaos people are going to be suggesting all kinds of alternatives.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Was it them who had that ritual where they would stage a ceremony to impress the spirit of a city with how awesome they were and how much better worshippers they would be then the lamos in the wall?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Cambyses conquered Egypt I don't see why he gets the short end of the stick just cuz he was insane.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Por que no los dos?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I just read an offhand reference to the apparently not common but not unheard of practice of citizens of a region suing the governor for corruption once he was out of office. Any truth to that?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

How much is the survival of a recognisable Chinese empire due to the decentralization of their belief system versus the centralization of the Pope's authority in Rome?

The "survival of the Chinese empire" is propaganda from current states claiming legitimacy by linking themselves to the past regardless of how tenuous those links are.

Like, most people wouldn't consider Charlemagne to be Roman but he sure as hell called himself the Holy Roman Emperor cause he was powerful and ruled a big chunk of territory some of which used to be Roman. That's about the strength of the links between most Chinese 'dynasties.'

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was reading a book about early church history and it asserted that we know that early Christianity was popular among the downtrodden because early Christians used Greek, the language of the lower classes in AD 50-250 Rome. I was under the impression that Greek was like an educated language?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Man I cannot talk about Marduk without thinking of Sealab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCoiNj09xBM

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Something that's not flammable.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Then you have ancient Egypt where getting shitfaced was not only socially acceptable but a big part of their religion (in order to stop Sekhmet from destroying the world the egyptians held a party once year where you had to drink until you passed out).

Man egyptian religion is so cool. Is there a good book that deals with egyptian life middle kingdom?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I live in Chicago, and there's an early map of the city from the 1830s? Iirc that shows a small lizard mound on the north side. Like most of those mounds, the local settlers didn't give a poo poo cuz why should they and it got plowed for farmland/developed. No records, no pictures.

We don't know how many of those there were and we never will. And that's how you get a bunch of italian-americans smoking cigars in front of a columbus statue and declaring that columbus found nothing but savages.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I always love that one anecdote from the english lord who's in the middle of a battle against perfidious Scots and he comes across a bunch of border reavers from both sides just hanging out and chatting out of sight.

When they saw him they hurridly started to fight.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
China has 5000 continuous years of culture! According to the government.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Crosspost

FAUXTON posted:

look it's one legion okay? By the way, the Rubicon? They were making it up to be this big thing, 'you cannot cross the rubicon with an army' have you seen it folks? It's a puddle, you can't even really tell you've crossed it even, I mean the only way you know you're out of gallia cisalpina there is that you walk into Rimini, so I don't think the senate really gets around much outside Rome. But we'll see what happens, won't we folks? I mean it's a roll of the dice really, These losers in the senate expect me to just leave all these big beautiful legions, and we love our troops folks, we really do, don't we love the troops? They're wonderful, but these old guys in Rome, i call them the sleepy senate, you'd never believe how low energy they are, especially Cato, right? I call him Mister Serious, Mister Serious Cato, but that sister of his is a beautiful woman, she really is, and Serious knows that, so I can't be too hard on him, anyway, they wanted me to come back alone, and believe me, I wouldn't have any trouble handling walking back to Rome myself but think about it folks, we take care of all of Gaul up there and then they just want me to leave the troops at the river after all we did for the big beautiful republic, so I brought back just the one legion, you know, to give them a heroes welcome at the gates because really Rome wasn't doing so hot when I left but now I come back from winning Gaul, they said it Gaul could never be pacified, but maybe they just weren't as good as me, you know? They had to beg and plead with brennus, tears in their eyes, to spare Rome but now I come back and they're saying "magna roma" again and i don't think anyone was saying that before, but they didn't bring vercingetorix back from alesia, nobody builds a wall like I do but they don't tell you i built two walls, they thought one wall was enough but I knew this vercingetorix was a tough guy, really big with the gauls and I said "we need another wall to be sure, he's a big guy around here and we should do two walls" so we did two walls and now he's a prisoner, but they won't let me bring the troops home even though I made rome great again and we won in gaul and we won in iberia and we won in brittania and now they say we can't win in rome, folks do you think we should go win in rome, yeah I think we deserve to win in rome so why the hell not, like I said let's just roll the dice and see what happens

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm wondering if the odds of surviving to the end of your 25 years of service were any worse than, y'know, the odds of just surviving 25 years as an average commoner. With a free sword and significantly better odds of being fed during a crisis.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Also, are there any good resources for reading about urban life in the late republic outside of Rome? Somewhere like idk Philippi or Massilia or Syracuse?

yeah I'd like ancient urban history recs too

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Han dynasty invented Christianity got it

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Imagine fumbling and dropping that.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
too much focus on the poor guy who got bit by a scorpion and not enough on the guy who's embalming his brother for the tenth time this year.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Steely Glint posted:

Are there any English-language books or papers one would recommend on the judiciary (and hopefully also contemporaneous unofficial dispute resolution systems) in Early and/or Middle Imperial China? I've picked up Chinese Policing: History and Reform by Kam C. Wong that touches on pre-Qing "policing" and have found a few grad student papers discussing Qin legal manuscripts, but I'm not sure how to search further since my layperson approach of mining relevant Wikipedia articles for citations has come up short. Apologies if this is outside the purview of the thread.

I am also interested in this and basically any books on early peacekeeping/enforcement of laws in general, I know that police are a relatively new thing and have a vague understanding of hue and cry and that's it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Whorelord posted:

I've had this niche meme stuck in my head for a few days and who the gently caress gets any work done on a Friday afternoon?

I learned who this guy was from this meme and also find it very funny!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

Very tempted to rotate and push into the valley.

Elden ring messages just keep getting more baroque

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Prehistoric pagliaci...

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
When I divide the estate, I divide the estate, know what I'm saying?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

(not totally accurate: the law also banned sex with mules and horses, but at an explicitly lower penalty)

this inspired some questions and now I want to know, does anyone have some good recommendations on how and by who ancient laws were enforced? I know that the police as we think of them are an extremely modern thing so I'm kind of looking for information on the systems that existed before that basically.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
What was that seige defense weapon that was basically a firework on the end of a pole? Something you could reliably give to conscripts and increase their effectiveness without getting too complicated

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

It wasn't just a siege defense weapon but you are likely thinking of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysorean_rockets

and their more famous version once the British ripped them off,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congreve_rocket

The Congreve rockets were the origin of "the rocket's red glare" in the Star Spangled Banner! :911:

Reading about the tactics reminds me about Stalin's Organ during WW2, but I suppose the same principles applied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_lance

i did some more digging and this is what I was thinking of but your stuff is also cool

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A lot of that is just "what shows does local us public television get rights for."

What I miss is the 1990s golden age of British mystery shows, all rebroadcast on PBS Mystery!

Poirot, campion, Marple, Brett's Sherlock, etc.

For a large part of my childhood this was one of the few things we were allowed to stay up late for.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Marduk sounds pretty cool.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Which is why the Wheels suck because they enslaved the horse god rather than befriending her and that's why I'm gonna raid the poo poo out of them.

wait gently caress wrong thread.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Overly sarcastic productions on YouTube has a pretty good dragon breakdown highlighting both the similarities and differences between dragon myths

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

You don't need to be a disbeliever or a charlatan to get the results you want from a reading. In messy datasets (literlly messy, for entrails), if you go in predisposed to be looking for a specific answer, you will probably find it. All it requires is that the process be complicated enough, and require enough judgment calls, that the same omens might plausibly be read differently by two on-charlatan diviners.

I have kind of fallen backwards into a data analyst career and this speaks to me.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
See now I just wanna start assigning chengyu to Egyptian dynasties

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Buddhist monasteries got big into banking and it was really hilarious (to me) to read through Chinese and Asian history and realize that a lotta dynasties followed the same "religious minority with wealth" pattern that you see in Europe in regards to Jewish moneylenders. Encouragement, oh poo poo we're in debt and need cash, purge the monastaries and seize wealth, oh poo poo we're in debt and need cash, encourage buddishm and get more money, etc.

https://www.asianstudies.org/public...dern-east-asia/

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hold on, you're telling me a fish made these aquaducts to wash away my sin?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

Guys, I've been thinking, maybe the Norse Gods came from Troy too?

No, they came from space. Except for Odin, he was just an old guy they met who told them who they should be.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

BrainDance posted:

So I guess what I'm asking, dragons, or "dracones" like used in the Latin here, what did that actually mean to a medieval person? Did they just believe in it and take it literally? Is it referring to something else? What are the dragons here and why did this author think "yeah dragons that works, right alongside lions and stuff"? Is the author just stretching what's believable hoping people who previously didn't believe in dragons now suddenly consider it for the sake of fulfilling that prophecy? When did people stop literally believing in dragons? What are dragons just generally to medieval people?

I think I'm operating on the assumption that all the dragon stuff from the middle ages was symbolic or just known as myth, or from ancient times. Though I'm wondering if I'm wrong.

I mean people had found fossils and poo poo plus in much more recent times people thought that moose and platypi were mythical. Plus "dragon" as a term has always been very broad, it wasn't like your average medieval peasant was picturing Literally Smaug there have always been tons of different spins on that.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
C'mon Lives of Ancient Whores!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Unfortunately, Suetonius was a kid when Vesuvius blew up

C'mon works that were used for sources for Lives of Famous Whores!