Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arglebargle III posted:

Convenience for English speakers was not high on the list of priorities when pinyin was being developed. That's really the only answer you need. More specifically, Chinese has a ch sound, they needed a different grapheme for q because it's a different sound. They had to pick some way to write it and they didn't need the letter q for anything else. Be grateful the Communists won the war, if the Nationalists had won instead of discussing the tiny learning curve of pinyin we'd be discussing how to read ㄓㄨˋ ㄧㄣ ㄈㄨˊ ㄏㄠˋ.

Bopomfo is cool you guys, and you should learn it because there are a million different ways to spell everything using Roman characters. I still see different spellings on the same street walking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

How much do we know about the non-alcoholic drinks in Rome? Usually we only here about the wines (and that beer was considered barbaric/ungenteel) but how much do we know about milk/juices?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mycenae and Delphi were my favorite things to see when I went there a few years ago. Both have modern museums next to them along with the ancient sites.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Odobenidae posted:

Keep in mind that this was a teacher known almost exclusively for being a coach and teaching "health" classes alongside gym. I'd like to think that he subscribed to the "Keep one lesson ahead of the class" method of teaching.

That's not a method, that's your first year.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kuiperdolin posted:

Horse manure is not nearly as gross as human waste though.

No, its still pretty gross. Usually bigger too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

I almost never see spaces used in Chinese by friends/students.

Periods and commas do exist in Chinese but are rarely used except in books or for educational purposes.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arglebargle III posted:

That's a wig, he was bald at 19.

They didn't say it was his hair.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HEY GAIL posted:

edit: here it is, "The Control of Nature," 1987.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1987/02/23/atchafalaya

This is a great article and everyone should read it even it its like a small book.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HEY GAIL posted:

Gout Patrol, i think by your avatar that you are Australian--New Yorker is an American magazine that's full of great articles like that, and about half of them are available on the internet without a subscription

it's hard to pick a favorite part of that article but i'd have to say imagining the accents of the people involved

I'm American, I just enjoy the cartooning style of David Pope :worship:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

This is cool. http://www.caitlingreen.org/2017/03/a-very-long-way-from-home.html

It also provoked the dumbest comment I've seen in a long time, a reply to a picture of Roman glass found in Korea.

"amazing! in this times glass was unknown in Europe!"

How much has been written about the Christian communities in Southwest India? If the Byzantines were trading with them regularly they must have known but what I remember from world history classes is that once the Portuguese got there they didn't know they would find Christians.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This was my immediate recommendation, but the person I was talking to wanted something else.

Tell em to go suck a cabbage.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Is this going to make alot of people mad about something?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jack B Nimble posted:

Slight derail but..Short sentences are good for general utilitarian writing but, like, Faulkner style long sentences are good too? Has opinion really turned so far against long sentences in, say, academia/college? Like I know journalists have to write for everyone, but are long sentences just bad now?

As Grand Fromage can attest, when trying to teach English writing to students who write in their native language with few breaks, you need to break them down brick by brick before they can write what would be seen as a essay that "makes sense" in English. You need the fundamentals and know what standard writing will look like before you also can break the form and still be understood.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CommonShore posted:

No buy my fake internet gold.

no gently caress this guy, he has globalist gold, my stuff is made for real patriots

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arglebargle III posted:

Sex isn't very portable.

But I will have you know my sex is incredibly potable.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ynglaur posted:

I think you mean potent. Unless I'm not being imaginative enough.

:getin:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Banana Canada posted:

Go shopping in mainland China for some clothes with hip "English" slogans or design elements and you'll see variations on all of this today. Badly translated or misspelt phrases, copied non sequitur words or sayings, "lorem ipsum" style lifting of blocks of texts from a random book or news article, voweless gibberish, etc.

A year ago I had some students in Taiwan making flower arrangements for mother's day. They were wrapped in some kind of fancy paper that had English on it. I took one and read it. It consisted of the same two articles over and over again:

A Dave Barry column about horseracing/gambling? (can't remember exactly)
The scandal about Nancy Reagan's astrologist

This is apparently used in Taiwan/China for many different kinds of flower arrangements. And I can't even remember if I told this story before in this thread or another.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea has the best tiger art.

I have no idea what's going on here either but I love it.

Its obviously :catdrugs:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So yeah, as far as Hittites and loving animals:

Pigs and dogs = death
Horses and mules = totally cool
Cows = up to the King

Dads and sons in a threeway = cool beans

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FAUXTON posted:

Roman chariots not only had truk nutz, they had full on truk dicks. Apparently they hung those dick charms on the underside of their chariots to protect against bad mojo.

Seems like you're just dragging your dicks on the ground.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: it can be argued, for example, that the US isn't a nation-state.

:eng101: As a AP Human Geography teacher, you would get no credit if you use the US as an example. I think there is a direct reference to that in past short-answer examples on their website.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don’t even want to know their reasoning on this; do I?

The official definition is the country needs to be relatively compact (i can't remember why exactly) and close to ethnically homogeneous as possible. Like, Malaysia wouldn't count as one not just because it has several large ethnic groups but also because it is fragmented geographically. Looking online I see some examples saying the countries need to be small but nothing about prorupted states or fragmented states.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Squalid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpdpffv9dH8

I gaurantee those guys hunting monkeys deal with nasty insects and thorny plants way worse than anything in Europe. Of course Roman's in the Republic and Empire did often use leg wraps even when they still wouldn't wear pants, but as far as I know that was all about cold.

Using a monkey's tail to to tie it into a nice monkey bag around the head seems very inventive.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So if Roman Emperors all had several names, many of which were used at different times in their life, when did English just start using just one of those names for the common translation? Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus becomes Nero, which makes sense when Nero is first. But Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus is Claudius. Is this naming convention just from some monk a thousand years ago and the inertia became too much to change?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arglebargle III posted:

Now is this true? Probably the particulars are not accurate, but it's plausible in the general outline and it's told well.

Same for the sailing crew who threw their wealthy master overboard and sailed off to sell his riches. Herodotus says that a dolphin carried him to shore and that when the magistrate confronted the crew when they returned he confronted them over their lies. Is this true, well putting aside the dolphin story as fantasy rightly or wrongly, the broad outlines are completely plausible.

That last story is close enough to the Mutiny on the Bounty, so it makes sense.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh hey well my source is Galileo on this. Galileo says that everyone knows Copernican theory is right but they're just afraid to say so. He wrote that down. I think that assertion is in Letter to the Grand Duchess Christina of Tuscany.

Are you guys really gonna "well actually" the Galileo affair?

Also I wouldn't call Galileo the middle ages.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

To drag this thread back to its subject matter, I wonder if the way people are behaving in the forums right now is similar to how average Romans behaved during one of those civil wars where a provincial general was declared emperor and everyone had to wait around until he won or lost his coup attempt.

And most people not knowing who won for weeks afterword.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I know it's not completely forbidden, there was one mosque in Kuala Lumpur that opened for tourists part of the day. All the other ones I wanted to peek into were not allowed.

If they just have worship in the Hagia Sophia without otherwise destroying it, well, whatever I guess. I don't trust the Turkish government but I do sort of trust the desire for tourist dollars.

They have alot of desire for tourist dollars because alot of those tourist dollars stopped flowing ever since the failed military coup, and the airport bombing.

It does suck you never got to see the Hagia Sophia yet, it was to me, much more impressive than the Blue Mosque. I don't see the political situation getting better there any time soon.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

Also I hope you all enjoyed Agesilaus' speedrun.

You could have let the fun go on for at least another 12 hours

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

The Qing didn't pay out silver. Part of the motivation for selling opium was that Britain was tired of sending all its silver to China for tea, since the Chinese wouldn't accept anything else. Opium was very popular in China before the British (despite what official Chinese histories nowadays will tell you) so it was an easy thing to sell/trade for tea.

The Chinese insistence on silver as the core of the economy was a constant source of weakness, though. The devaluation of silver due to American mines was a huge destabilizing force on the Ming, and the requirement of converting actual everyday money to silver to pay taxes squeezed the peasantry at various times to cause huge revolts.

You got any book or article recommendations to know more about this (worldwide silver deflation)?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Arglebargle III posted:

IIRC domesticated livestock are dumb as rocks and do plenty of incest even if you try to stop them.

the lizard people have trained us well

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yadoppsi posted:

This discussion is interesting. How bout you go use your scroll wheel instead of trying to police this thread.

What is the Roman equivalent of a shinebox if everyone mostly wore open-toed shoes?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How much of the med is statistically egyptian pee?

All water is pee, so all of it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Does anyone have some good sources on the Rashidun Caliphate and the historicity of it/the rulers? I'm sifting through Seeing Islam as Others Saw It for my own knowledge and a couple other journals online, but I'm looking for stuff that easier for high schoolers to read. I know everyone is poopooing "pop history" but I really could use some concise, easier to read stuff that doesn't start to veer into "islam is a lie" junk.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Anything where humans have fire is modern history imo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cheetah7071 posted:

it's hard to tell from the archaeological record but (intentional) fire almost certainly predates homo sapiens

Ah, I see another person who studies BIG HISTORY (tm), now we're talking on the right time scale.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

galagazombie posted:

This was much the same for the Abbasid's as well. When the Mongol's rolled through the Caliphate had been falling apart for centuries. This was't the Caliphate that could wage war against Tang China anymore, it was a rump state that was at constant war in a fractious land. Not to diss Genghis or anything because what the Mongol's achieved was indeed incredible, but a large part of their success was due to their conquests being big empires that had both just bled themselves dry. This is ironically how the Islamic Conquests had gone themselves, where the big empires of their day had just annihilated each other and the Arabs got to pounce on the survivors.

Yeah the Abbasids when taught in high school and you only learn their "reign" number (750-1258) and you go "whoa they lasted a long time!" but for the last 300 years they were generally under the thumb of several different groups for the last 300 of that, where the Caliphate was still the legitimate religious authority in the Sunni world, but had very little military power itself anymore.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sebzilla posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fixed_Calendar

13 months of 28 days, plus one "Year Day" (or two for Leap Years)

Weekdays are consistent through months, which is pretty neat.

...I kinda wish this happened, cast down the lunar months with their false gods

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cool conversation shifter: What crop was the most world-changing coming from the New World to the Old?

I say tobacco, because eating is for suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Megasabin posted:

If we think about things broadly enough, I guess we can say that the Western Asian farming are the progenitors of many of the major ancient prehistory civilizations. By virtue of the migration of Western Asian farmers being responsible for the development of agriculture in Eastern Europe, Central Asia, and India, we can for example say they lead to the Indus River Valley culture.

I thought that this result (agriculture in the Indian subcontinent coming from the Middle Eastern hearth) was not 100% confirmed?

fake edit: just copying from Wiki, seems to say 99 yes%:

quote:

According to Gangal et al. (2014), there is strong archeological and geographical evidence that neolithic farming spread from the Near East into north-west India.[15][16][note 1] Yet, Jean-Francois Jarrige argues for an independent origin of Mehrgarh. Jarrige notes the similarities between Neolithic sites from eastern Mesopotamia and the western Indus valley, which are evidence of a "cultural continuum" between those sites. Nevertheless, Jarrige concludes that Mehrgarh has an earlier local background," and is not a "'backwater' of the Neolithic culture of the Near East."[31] Singh et al. (2016) investigated the distribution of J2a-M410 and J2b-M102 in South Asia, which "suggested a complex scenario that cannot be explained by a single wave of agricultural expansion from Near East to South Asia,"[16] but also note that "regardless of the complexity of dispersal, NW region appears to be the corridor for entry of these haplogroups into India."[16]