Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Christoph posted:

I should have made clear that was an awful moment in a bad movie.

In "Dead Man," with Johnny Depp, Gary Farmer plays the bizarre American Indian "Nobody." Three years later, Farmer played the father of the main character in "Smoke Signals," wherein he asks his son who his favorite Indian is and the boy says "Nobody." Farmer repeats "NOBODY" then makes a really creepy face to drive the reference home.

He also appears tending pigeons on a rooftop in Jarmusch's Ghost Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's also a shot early in the movie where they're introducing Angel and he walks down a hallway towards the camera and flashes his badge and ID for us. The picture of his face on the ID is the same exact shot, cropped down to just his face.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MichiganCubbie posted:

One of my favorite little moments comes from Inglorious Basterds. In the scene where Landa and Shoshanna are in the restaurant, Landa orders strudel for them both. This is rather innocent. However, before she can take a bite, Landa suddenly remembers that he forgot to order the whipped cream for the topping. He orders it and won't let Shoshanna eat until it comes. We get a heavy-handed shot of the cream being put onto the strudel, and then Landa eats. After watching her eat, he asks her about it, and you see her kinda grimace and swallow.

The reason for this, and him relaxing after her eating is because whipped cream wasn't readily made Kosher until the late 1950s. Before this, a large amount of cream was made with gelatin, which is decidedly non-Kosher. Now, it was possible to make it Kosher, without gelatin and with a blessed animal, but Shoshanna has no way of knowing if it is.

Now, non-dairy creams can more easily be Kosher, but that wasn't invented until 1945, so this has to be natural whipped cream. In addition, the likelihood of it being Kosher in German-occupied France is slim-to-none. Shoshanna being willing to eat this indicates that she's not a practicing jew. That said, I believe that Landa knew who she was and was just having fun with her, toying with the prey, so to speak.

They don't bring this scene up, or really talk about it at all. It's simply a nice little note and shows that Landa does his homework.

Doesn't he also order her a glass of milk to drink and you see her freak out a little bit?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Terminal Entropy posted:

On a similar note, Tom Waits is the Joker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG2nEPYXL7c

I've thought for a while now that Heath could have played a young Tom Waits in a biopic really well.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Unmature posted:

Also in Iron Man 3 Tony uses the Mark 1 suit to meet Rhodey at a bar. It's sort of like his shortrange travel suit I guess because it's covered in dings and paint scratches like he just uses it as a beater when he doesn't wanna waste power or something in one of his better suits. You can also notice damage on some of the other suits like the Iron Patriot as the movie progresses. Iron Patriot is covered in dings because Rhodey wouldn't care about his suits paintjob, but Tony's suits are mostly pristine.

That might have been his Mk. III, I didn't notice, but wasn't the Mk. I the scrap suit he built in the Afghani cave?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really get the impression that in Iron Man 3 they used PTSD as a quick script replacement for alcoholism. I know in interviews, a few people on the production have said that Marvel asked them not to include anything about Tony's drinking problems. I get where they're coming from logically; Tony is a hero and having your hero drink to excess could easily come off as glamorizing and not a character flaw. The nerd in me however thinks Tony's drinking problem is a central part of his, admittedly, oft-lovely personality.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also I've heard that while Kubrick was shooting in 1.33 because he anticipated the home video market, he was framing for 1.66(?) and not even really looking at the dailies in 1.33.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Roger Tangerines posted:

I heard it the other way round. Kubrick specifically framed The Shining for 1.33 because he hated cropping and letterboxing on TVs. He wanted to release something that people would be able to watch on TV/home video without problems, but couldn't predict the rise of widescreen TVs. He had to have a 1.85 version for cinematic release - many cinemas wouldn't even be able to screen a regular 1.33 print. So he framed for 1.33 and shot on 1.85. If you watch one of the widescreen versions, you'll notice it if you're looking - there's never anything happening at the edges of the screen because the whole thing is being framed in the smaller box in the centre.

I quite like the full-frame version. I think it adds to the claustrophobia of the film. A lot of the visuals in The Shining are dependent on size, and I think that some of the internal shots of the hotel are weakened when opened out. But if I were screening it for friends I'd go with widescreen because not everyone's a sperg.

No, he shot it so the full frame of 1.33 was appearing on the film and the version released to cinemas was letterboxed from that. That's why in a few shots you can see things like the shadow of the helicopter at the top or bottom of the frame in the full screen version; he was thinking about the wider screen but printing more on to the film so that nothing of his vision would be removed from the TV edit.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's more difficult for things like cigarettes, drinks and food where the actor has to be shown drinking or eating them, and cigarettes are just always burning down.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

N. Senada posted:

There is! German forces invaded North Africa in 1941 and were eventually pushed out towards the end of 1942. The campaign was essentially a failure as they were weakened by long supply lines and a well-stocked British army.

:goonsay:

Content: In World War Z there's a (lite spoilers)POW in South Korea who says North Koreans have repelled the zombies because the government ripped out the population's teeth to prevent them from chomping on people. The POW's teeth have also been ripped off.

During this campaign, Hitler was known to take his trusty metal detector and wander the desert for hours in his official Nazishorts, but all he ever seemed to find were old soda pull-tabs and $0.43 in assorted change.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
More specifically what I want to know is how the foreign dubs/subs handle his use of slang. Do they shift into a different dialect? Do they get messy with the grammar? Do they simply use a different accent? Rural or city? How effective are these changes?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Inzombiac posted:

I noticed that when I saw it in theaters and made a noise that was like "BWOAHAHA!" much to my friend's chagrin.
That guy is a really good actor and I wish he got more roles.

edit:
"KEVIN" sounds terrifying.

He was also a poop enthusiast in an episode of It's Always Sunny.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I liked that in the beginning of The World's End you can see the meteor that brings the Network coming down as King sits on the hill and watches the sunrise.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Squalitude posted:

It hasn't been mentioned because this is the Subtle Movie Moments thread, and those really aren't subtle ;) Does remind me of the early pages of this thread where people were basically just listing all the jokes in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz though.

Yeah, I seem to remember when the first teaser poster went up with a list of the pubs, people immediately said "I guarantee you those names will be allusions to the structure of the movie."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

parque bynch posted:

I was on my iPhone at the time and didn't want to mess up the spoilers. Edgar Wright posted these lovely images of the bar signs on his blog.

http://www.edgarwrighthere.com/2013/08/24/the-12-pubs-of-the-golden-mile/

As you can see from the sign for The Mermaid, it isn't just the idea of mermaids as sirens, but also the hair color of the three mermaids. A red head between two blondes: a marmalade sandwich!

I love the blue smeared across a few of the signs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think I heard that the reason it looks vaguely chainmail-ish is because it was selected for someone much smaller than him and he was a last-second recast. I guess it was just super stretched out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Nastyman posted:

When I was watching it I couldn't stop thinking about how well designed the Predator is.

Thank god they didn't go with the original design:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jedit posted:

It's the scene with Michael Caine in Paris.

I think it might work better if you just have Alfred sitting down, perspective shot showing two people at another table that just might be Bruce and Selina, cut back to Alfred's eyes opening a little wider and him starting to take a deep breath. End it without explicitly showing Bruce and before he toasts or whatever it is he does there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also wasn't everyone outside of the bathroom "in on it," so to speak?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

nucleicmaxid posted:

Then rewatch it I guess?

This is literally one of the major plot points. In some ways it could be seen as the main it of the movie and it is explicitly stated. It's the literal opposite of a subtle movie moment.

Yes but where is it explained that he was a slave is this mentioned in some subtle moment or is it just some crazy fan theory also why do people call him Django as if that was his name?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

iajanus posted:

Not sure if anyone's noticed this here before, but I was rewatching Iron Man 2 and the logo on Ivan Vanko's pitsuit looked pretty interesting once I started looking more closely...

Do you think him being named "Turgenov" on the jumpsuit was in any way a reference to Gen. Turgidson from Dr. Strangelove? Was it about boners?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok, I guess more characters just need boner-referencing names.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

amityville anus posted:

I like how matthew mcconaughey's character is an inverse of the one he played in Dazed and Confused

Instead of loving school girls he hates a school teacher?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MindlessHavok posted:

You guys are crazy. Sam Jackson was the worst part of that movie. The lisp he had was awful.

My wife literally said "I don't think he knows what a lisp is." Apparently Sam Jackson actually had a pretty severe lisp for a long time and worked hard to overcome it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't know if that's really all that subtle; it got a big reaction out of the audience when I went. Like, they make a really big deal about nobody being able to lift it earlier.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

muscles like this? posted:

Well, in AoU it was because that villain is traditionally missing an arm and they might be priming him to show up in the Black Panther stand alone.

Yeah, I know who you're talking about and I didn't even think that one. I was thinking when Tony's in the Hulkbuster suit and one of the arms gets ripped off that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Whoa that's pretty subtle. I think you might be reaching a bit with it. Is there anything in the text to support that or is it just someone's pet theory?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jerusalem posted:

Is it just an old legend, or did he really make American Graffiti on a dare from Francis Ford Coppola to just make a straight up reality-based film about young kids hanging out?

Because if so Coppola should give him more dares.

I've heard Andrew W.K. basically made his entire career on a dare from Wolf Eyes, but that's probably a wild exaggeration.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MichiganCubbie posted:

Everyone knows this scene from Jurassic Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRxQ3dcaQk

The kids get away because one of the raptors slips in the freezer after Tim runs in there, right? Then they lock him in and run away while the other raptor is still dazed from running headlong into a cabinet. But, why is the freezer sitting there open in the first place, with ice on the ground?

Earlier in the film, we see Hammond sitting in the dining room eating lots of ice cream . He says it's because it's all melting. The power was knocked out by Nedry, and everything, including the freezers, are off. Hammond went into the freezer, got ice cream, and left it open because it doesn't matter since the power's out. Everything is melting in the freezer, including all the ice.

After the power is turned on, the freezer restarts. All that melted ice is now water on the floor, which re-freezes. The door is still open from Hammond leaving it open, allowing Tim to run into it. The raptor slips on the ice that was allowed to melt and refreeze because of Hammond's action letting the freezer warm up faster than it would have if it was sealed.

Hammond leaving the door open allowed Tim and Lex to survive the kitchen, by giving Tim somewhere to run, and giving the raptor somewhere to slip. His thinking about ice cream saved his grandchildren.

One further than that, actually. Lex surviving the kitchen allows her to be able to be in the control center when the raptors attack again. This allows her to use the computer to lock all the doors. By locking the doors, Grant and Ellie survive. Hammond's desire for ice cream saves everybody.

Considering Spielberg didn't care whether there was a cliff on the other side of the T-Rex fence or a goat, I can't imagine he thought this much about it. The freezer door was open because he wanted it to be open. The raptor slipped because uh oh the freezer's slippery.

I love Jurassic Park as much as the next guy, but Spielberg wasn't setting an elaborate puzzle in which pieces were being set an hour of screentime before they came into play.

The seat-belt "life finds a way" bit I kind of buy though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember hearing the script supervisor talking about this and telling Spielberg it didn't make sense and his response was basically "too bad."

I respect that. He looked at the scene of the trex pushing the car down the road and decided they either couldn't do it with the technology they had or that it just didn't work and made a decision to put the pace and tension of the scene over concerns about whether it made sense spatially. It's a movie about making dinosaurs, issues like geography are less important than making a movie that crates feelings both of awe and terror.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like there's some Charles Nelson Riley in there as well.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What kind of struck me about Finn is that he was able to wound a loving Skywalker in a lightsaber battle. Like people use that to complain about Kylo Ren being a chump but seriously it was like Finn's second time holding a lightsaber gently caress.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

deoju posted:

I watched the new Ninja Turtles movie recently. It was a fun distraction. At one point April O'Neil calls Will Arnett's character Vernon. Vernon is in the middle of making a sandwich with just parmesan cheese and yellow mustard. GOB eats the same culinary masterpiece in the 4th season of Arrested Development.

I'm confused about where him being named Vernon comes into this. The cartoon had a cameraman named Vernon too, although it was kind of a different character.

http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vernon

Also the mustard/parmesan thing from AD was probably a shoutout to Martin Mull, who played Gene Parmesan and also Col Mustard in Clue.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It can be both!

If it's not a Martin Mull reference it's a weirdly specific coincidence.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Henchman of Santa posted:

Black Dynamite could fill a page of this thread. My favorite gag is the tear that keeps appearing and disappearing on Honey Bee's cheek.

For me it's a tie: the extra who gets injured by a stunt kick gone wrong and who is replaced and the black panther guy who reads the direction out loud.

"Sarcastically I'm in charge!"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes. It's also the joke, not just something one should "like to think."

I think he's approaching it like he hopes it wasn't scripted and they just went with it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You might be the first person ever to think that the X-Files did too many monster if the week episodes and didn't focus enough on the overarching mythology.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

snergle posted:

i should of clarified it with s1-s2 of xfiles I tried to rewatch and couldnt get out of s1

The first season has Squeeze and Beyond the Sea, which are both top-tier and MoTW episodes. The second season has The Host and Humbug, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

sweeperbravo posted:

People have difficulty discerning "subtle" from "ambiguous." Maybe the thread ought to change titles to accept both since it's just gonna keep hapening anyway.

Maybe it should be vague, in a very subtle way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Fried Watermelon posted:

The coordinates they had were coming from the radio tower antenna, they were so accurate that they missed what they were aiming for (the entire compound) and only hit the top of the tower.

I just like the idea of the Death Star shooting this one guy specifically.