Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

cba to find it but there was a recent article about the DC power grid in sf that just exists to power elevators

i thought they got rid of all of those a few years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

i have never understood people wanting things like consoles and routers to look 'pretty'

its a box that you look at once and then it sits somewhere and provided its not aggressively gaudy you can just ignore it

i like SOHO netgear stuff for this reason, they're a box of aluminum that is exactly the size of the number of ports

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

if you somehow gave it a really annoying sound I think they would use it.

at 2:30AM.

only because another cat might want to use it. causing the other cat jump in bed and start whining

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so nice of you all to raise clean organic dog food

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Squinty Applebottom posted:

like if you have rats in your room you should ask a nearby yosposter to borrow their cat, who will solve your pest problem for some scritches + tuna

rats can be pretty big and vicious for a cat

get a terrier for optimal results

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

my parents had a fox terrier

good news: no more rabbits eating stuff in the garden

bad news: terrier digs up garden

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

people who actually run horse farms seem pretty cool though

I mean, they're nuts but in a different way from the rich people

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vicas posted:

how do you even break that functionality with a fuckin' button presser, goddamn

android lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

my mom loves horses

except she just does pedigree research, betting and now has her own broodmare that she only sees every once in a while

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a southern man don't need him around anyhow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

prefect posted:

would use a computer with a gear shift

those are called cars

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

all goatse social media

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

~Coxy posted:

just use margarine like a normal person

i believe this is a capital offense in wisconsin

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah but this is just a stepping stone to his next big thing

supercar insurance fraud?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah, usd and

1: the actual part of the game where you could lose your ship is a minimum of two years away
2: you can buy insurance every so often (theoretical planned feature)

I would consider playing this game if it meant I could troll people out of their $400 autism chariots

that game exists and its called eve online

the problem is that once you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eve is fun if you can tolerate having fun for 5 minutes at a time after taking a multi hour shift of guarding a single spot of space

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raspberry pi is probably cheaper than the shield

edit: same price on sparkfun

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vicas posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/HFnjW

sort of tangential to kickstarters but gamers literally cannot stop throwing money at a game that will never come out oh my god

i'm going to assume that was actually build for dcs a-10

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

that's the free space of kickstarter fantasy bingo

look for ones that have manufacturing kickoff in late january

"entrepreneur" or startup fairs or whatever the gently caress are also good for this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

prefect posted:

they have a picture of a closed laptop

i hate to say it, but i'm actually kind of interested in something like this

i threw some of my money at them :allears:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-4941-Double-Sided-Acrylic-Yards/dp/B004V40IUS
there now you can make your own too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

plus i get to live forever

you mean undead forever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

local man discovers one weird tip to never get a computer virus again, mcafee hates him!!

police investigating disappearance of local man

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Werthog 95 posted:

please wipe off your computer screen before taking a picture for your computer screen kickstarter.

one usb port huh? whats the power output, 5 nits?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

three thousand united states dollars

that is like the only realistically priced kick starter i've seen

small run poo poo is expensive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sair posted:

but the battery will be good for several days of use without recharging!

*average day of use consists of 1 hour of viewing at the eco brightness setting averaging less than 50 lumens

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mido posted:

literally the worst lighting conditions for casual projecting

also lol forever at the banal logic that will decide how much to keystone automatically

if its even automatic loool

the half assed but actually trying solution is an ir range finder and a look up table

(real solution is image processing of course but nobody does that outside of projector walls)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mido posted:

it'd have to scan to find the most perpendicular angle to the surface it's going to project on unless it wants to do some really scary keystoning

if it's not gonna do that then its going ot need to rangefind the 4 points that will be the corners of the screen and do something hilarious from that

fixed angle projector, assume whatever is straight ahead is the wall

i said half assed way

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

in reality you have a single I2C register on the DLP for "keystnoe_value" so all the sensors and smarts you could possibly want are going to be mashed down into 0-255

not poo poo keystoning is done in hardware

and the register is on the dlpc not the dlp, learn2projector

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i dont know poo poo about projector HW, my naive guess would be that correcting for a known (relatively small) keystone effect would be a minor amount of extra processing compared to decoding compressed video, etc. would a low or mid-end consumer projector be able to use some cheap commodity HW and be "good enough" ?

the question is how does the dumb little robot know how much keystone to apply, not how to apply keystone in the first place. in ti dlp projectors the dip controller can apply all those transformations with a simple setting of some registers. this type of software (ok firmware?) keystoning has the result of not using all your mirrors in every row which reduces the image quality. the "proper" way to do keystoning is by moving a mirror in the optical path. needless to say cheap projectors do it in software

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Al! posted:

why are you guys arguing the minutiae of this thing that doesn't make sense on a basic level

well someone asked how it worked :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

"we spent $10k on a model solution brushed aluminum prototype that we filmed to shovel injection molded plastic at you"

works for investors, A+ would CNC again

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DiabloStarCraft posted:

can you tell kickstarter stopped manually approving submissions a couple of months ago? there's now no difference between this and indiegogo now.
also that tvtropes kickstarter, I wonder if xkcd guy knows they're using an edited uncredited version of one of his comics, or Nintendo are letting them use one of their characters.

also I just read about 100 pages of this thread through a week, that sure was worth my time.

xkcd guy uses a creative commons license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/
clearly it's not commercial!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vodkat posted:

How can you be so bad at cooking that you think this is a good idea?

for using a skillet? quite easily. especially if you have an electric range and don't know the temperatures of different oils or to look for the leidenfrost effect ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect )

however for this... just use an ir thermometer ffs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and if you must spend a ton of money: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_pro_surface.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

doesn't that prevent negotiation of higher power delivery?

though i guess nobody follows that part of the usb standard. well, apple

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nelson MandEULA posted:

of course you're going to cook better if you use a thermometer and closely follow a recipe. that's what people should be doing in the first goddamned place.

for $199 that money you could buy a $30 t-fal skillet, a $96 super-fast thermapen, and a $70 subscription to america's test kitchen's whole web empire. and you'll actually learn things along the way like how to properly chop an onion, how to tell when a pan is hot, and how to make a roux.

but oh no, i'm not going to use a recipe! that's for idiots! cooking is something that either comes naturally or doesnt and there's no way to improve expect by spending money on gimmicky gadgets.

tbh i am kinda intrigued by a skillet with a built in thermometer and an alarm

rest of it is retarded though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

other risks: not know what patents are

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

hey what was that food scanner kickstarter thing? because this looks to be pretty much the same thing https://www.consumerphysics.com/myscio/

e: it is that thing.

so handheld spectroscopy is a thing has been tried before. there was a university spin off startup trying to do this for drug identification for cops however it didn't really work very well and the company ended up going out of business

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thesoro posted:

the oatmeal guy is makign a kickstarter

and by god it looks to be the wackiest loving thing since Cards Against HUmanity thank the loving lord someone has the brains, the knowhow, and dare i say it THE GUTS to be this loving wacky

see but cards against humanity is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

get better friends

• Locked thread