Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Adding my own "Just want to say that I love this podcast" post. Gets me through those long days working at the book crematoriu... library. I said library.

Is there somewhere that has convenient links to all the of the musical artists featured so far? I never remember to write them down when the websites are mentioned at the end of the episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Nice, thanks!

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Woebin posted:

I don't know if American scouts wear their ranks as badges or something, but if they do some of the Night Vale ranks would be pretty cool.

They do and holy hell yes I would proudly sport a Blood Pact Scout badge.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
New episode is up!

Carlos :swoon:

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

maxnmona posted:

What cast? That was Carlos.

I was hoping to find out whether his perfect, beautiful hair had recovered from the butchering inflicted by the vile Telly.

Telly.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Sex Robot posted:

WAITIN' FOR THE BUS AW poo poo IT'S ANOTHER BUS.

I like to queue that song up while I am, in fact, waiting for a bus and only seeing other buses.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

maxnmona posted:

This Friday is the most ambitious episode we've done, and it's more ambitious than any other podcast episode I've personally come across.

The script for it that my co-writer wrote is about twice as long as anything we've done, and I spent hours recording the voices and sound effects for it, as well as composing and recording a brand new score for it. I'm very excited to see it released, finally.

Oh man, I want to just speed up time until Friday now.

This week I let my 13-year-old son listen to a few episodes. His review is that it's AWESOME, and also, "Night Vale sounds so cool, I wish I could live there! ... actually, maybe not."

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I like the weather, even when I don't like it, if that makes sense. I don't think it wrecks the flow at all.

And besides, radio announcers need to take a break, after all. The weather is Cecil's only chance during the show to go to the bathroom. Do you really want Cecil to not be as smooth and sonorous as he could be because he has to pee? Have some sympathy, people.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Bash Ironfist posted:

Okay I've never listened to a podcast before. I noticed I can listen to each episode in quicktime through firefox. But is there a way I can listen to these on my iphone? It'd be cool to lay down and listen to these at night.

You can download them through iTunes and transfer them to your iPhone. Plus, with iTunes you can open up the track options and tell it to treat it like a music or audiobook file rather than a podcast, so it won't disappear after you've listened to it once.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I could listen to Cecil's voice all day. Does he do other radio shows, voice acting, audiobooks etc?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I love how this podcast has faceless women, 5-headed dragons, and everything else, but a Carlos-pony is just too :stare:. Tumblr is far worse than anything us mere mortals can conceive.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

I wonder if any real sponsors would buy one of the existing ad spots that Cecil does; I.E., the sort of ads we already here, but with whoever paid for it getting the totally non-sequitur name drop.

I doubt Subway would pay for "Devour your own heart", but I could've seen Subservient Chicken-era Burger King marketing wanting in.

I would love to be a fly on the wall during Night Vale pitch meetings to giant corporate marketing departments.

"...Okay, but we don't like that Cecil guy. Let's get Taylor Swift to do the ad instead."

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
You just know Carlos has an old lab coat with a frayed hem and grease stains that he wears when changing the oil in his car.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Somebody else made a trailer for Night Vale as a summer blockbuster movie. It's pretty much just a montage of shots of everything vaguely Night Vale-ish, but the Apache Tracker got a good laugh out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK7MsOsYM4g

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I love Cecil's impressions of the other townsfolk. His "Larry Leroy" voice this week was priceless.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Count Chocula posted:

My little sister keeps saying she wants to 'move to Night Vale'. Should I be worried?

Nah. Episode 13 suggests that a sudden, unexplained desire to abandon your old life, cut all ties and move to a trailer next to Old Woman Josie's is a pretty normal way for people to settle there.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
Today I took my car to the mechanic, and the loaner car was a tan Corolla.

I felt like Steve Carlsburg the rest of the day. UGH.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I'm just waiting for it to get big enough that international tours are no big thing.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Len posted:

PC. I set its audio type to podcast and made every possible thing I could fill in "Welcome to Night Vale" and the only way I could even find it was to make a smart playlist.

I go the other way and set all of them to audiobook. Makes relistening to them easier since iTunes won't auto-delete them like it will with podcasts (depending on your settings of course).

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Oz posted:

I totally didn't know that Fey(Faye?) was voiced by Molly Quinn until the credits. It really didn't sound like her when I was watching the episode.

I didn't recognise the voice either, but my 13-year-old son heard just the first segment and said, "Isn't that Pemily Stallwark?" I thought I was a pretty serious WTNV and Thrilling Adventure Hour fan, but he puts me to shame.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I can't decide whether or not I like knowing that Cecil has a legitimate reason to dislike Steve Carlsberg. But that's probably because one of my all-time favorite moments is his first mention, which was the first time Cecil really dropped his "friendly radio announcer" persona to just tear into Steve for tiny, petty reasons.

I was driving a tan Corolla at the time so maybe I just sympathized with ol' Steve Carlsberg.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

dragon_pamcake posted:

The weather this week was amazing.

I'll second that. Possibly my favourite weather yet. After it finished playing I was torn between wanting to hear the rest of the episode and wanting to rewind it to hear that song again, and the song won out.

e: This whole episode was fantastic. I was cracking up when the man who is not tall started arguing with Cecil's narration of what he was thinking.

Leospeare fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 15, 2014

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
Kevin and Lauren make a good team! Two hosts is a different dynamic for this show but I've liked it a lot. A regular Desert Bluffs spinoff series would be awesome.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
Who all was in the cast? Any new voices?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
A Europe tour renews my hope for an Aus/NZ tour someday.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

I wonder how many other mayors have had to learn the lesson of the Dog Park the hard way? Perhaps it's a right of passage with them.

Just Pamela Winchell, presumably. The dog park was new in episode 1.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I'm choosing to believe that Cecil referring to the clowns as "nightmares" was a Beyond Belief shoutout.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
Episode 55 was pretty good, but the commercial made me laugh the hardest. The laws of physics? What are you, a narc?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

tlarn posted:

I'm actually listening to Thrilling Adventure Hour from the beginning thanks to the crossover episode; got the first few episodes downloaded and already listened to a couple, liking it a lot.

I was worried when I saw it was almost two hundred episodes, but I see that the episodes vary a bit in length. This is good and bad. There's a lot of episodes but I'm probably going to be caught up before Halloween. :ohdear:

One of the great things about TAH is that they were going for years before they started podcasting the shows, so the first episodes don't suffer from the "finding our feet" stage that most podcasts go through in the beginning.

Also, if a particular series doesn't capture your interest after a few episodes, you can just skip it and cut down on that intimidating episode count.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Action Yak Police posted:

I got my tickets in the mail and they both have a splotch of black ink at the top. I hope that won't be a problem.

That depends, have you committed any acts of betrayal against Night Vale's pirate community?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ILcZj61QiI

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

AstroZamboni posted:

Is that the first time you've repeated a weather artist? No complaints, because Doomtree is loving awesome.

Danny Schmidt has been on twice. Also some guy named Joseph Fink, whoever that is.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Earwicker posted:

I covered a Kanye West tune a few months ago so Disparition is now mainsteam hiphop

What's Kim K like?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
Kevin says, "I think you'll be just... JAZZED about it." Clearly he's just inviting Cecil to the first performance of the Smilin' God Smooth Jazz Orchestra.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

maxnmona posted:

Jesus Christ.

Also someone whose ethnicity has been a source of much debate, best not to open that can of worms.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Agent_grey posted:

I need to hear all about this, unless its just exactly as you described and maxnmona walked away silently.

Check Jeffrey Cranor's twitter and scroll down to May 4 for the story.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

AstroZamboni posted:

The weather on the new episode is loving awesome. The final verse is a paraphrasing of three distinct works by Carl Sagan done really well.

This song is my loving battle cry from now on

That song is also a free download on Sifu Hotman's bandcamp site! And the whole album it's from is only $5.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Mr Tastee posted:

I don't know much about designing characters, but I would think the usual vest/tie/glasses came from the idea of giving him a calm and refined, if a little nerdy look to pair up with his "talk radio host" voice and role.

Of all the male radio announcers I've known, the calm and refined ones wear polo shirts and khakis most of the time (which is how I imagined Cecil before I started seeing pictures of him in live shows). Only sports announcers and managers wear anything approaching businesswear. But that was small-town commercial radio, not public, so YMMV.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Amateur Sketch posted:

How can Trump be Hiram when he's already literal Marcus Vansten? Descending a golden escalator is at least on par with building a proverbial literal ring and launching a golden hat into it.

I could see Trump building a private library right next to an underfunded public library, filling it with books he'll never touch, and refusing to let anyone else in.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

Got my tickets for the Auckland show! So hype!

Me too, near the back. Going by the number of seats still available, it's 90% sold out in the first quarter hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Earwicker posted:

So I am currently in Auckland NZ a few days before our show and I've been walking all over and noticed a bunch of advertising for our show, but listing the wrong venue.

So please note that the show is at Sky City - the other place got condemned and shut down or some poo poo!

The Auckland show was fantastic all around, I loved every second of it. I don't know what else to say except that I'm so grateful you and the rest of the Night Vale crew were willing to sit in a plane for 15 goddamned hours each way to share it with us.

Also, you picked an incredible week to come to NZ, as we don't often have politicians get hit in the face with sex toys during speeches. What a time to be alive.