Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There’s two 40k wikis, Lexicanum and the Wikia one. Is either one better than the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Klaus88 posted:

1d4chan is an accurate representation of your typical 40k fan at least. And its funny, sometimes, once in a blue moon.

I started browsing their wiki, their article on Trazyn the Infinite reminded me why I bought his miniature when he was first released.

(It’s because he’s hilarious)

Also their article about Duncan Rhodes is pretty entertaining.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of, I wish Relic would get off their rear end and make a sequel to the Space Marine videogame now that they’ve left Dawn of War 3 twisting in the wind.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don’t know how I didn’t know this, but last night I learned that Titus in ‘Space Marine’ was voiced by Mark Strong, which is pretty awesome. I’m aware that he also voices Eisenhorn in the recent Xenos game as well.

He clearly has a good time with the franchise, I wonder if BL will tap him to narrate one of the audiobooks at some point.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

All this talk of Space Marine, if any of you guys have it on the Xbox360 and want to rally up some coop horde mode madness, let’s get some games going.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Schadenboner posted:

What's a console-haver doing in the forum for people able to read?

:confused:

Me no use words good, but me like flashing lights and pew pew sounds

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

berzerkmonkey posted:

Humble Bundle has a bunch of BL books and shorts available.

Oh poo poo! I’ve got a bunch of those books already, but it’s still a steal for the new stuff. Thanks for the heads-up!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If you want light and fun 40k insanity, get the two Ciaphas Cain omnibii. It doesn’t get much lighter than that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, there's a pretty good bit of warp fuckery with one of the Imperial Guard books. Basically they get sent after a distress call from a desert planet, which gets attacked by tyranids. Only problem is when they get there, there's nobody there. Turns out the message they sent out as they were getting overrun was the original distress call. So they got sent to rescue themselves, but they only needed rescuing because they got sent.
It'd almost be better if it was just a munitorum error.

Oh poo poo, I remember this book. What was it called?

I’ve been watching a lot of the 40k Theories YouTube channel, it’s neat because the creator doesn’t just read off the wiki and actually throws some interesting ideas around.

One of my current favorite theories is about Yarrick and how he’s been able to withstand injuries that would kill a Space Marine, let alone a normal human: Orks are latently psychic and can make things happen because they believe them to be true, so Yarrick is unkillable because the Orks believe that he’s unkillable. :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I really liked Warmaster, though some of the twists were a bit cliche.

When is the next Pariah book coming?

More importantly, when are they reprinting Pariah for those of us that missed the first print run?
I’m kind of surprised it didn’t get a reprint when Magos came out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wait, what Necron stuff was in Mechanicum?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

Some of it's in the Games Day exclusive short story books from, IIRC, 2012 or 2013? I dunno where I put them so I can't check now.

ETA: TL;DR version: some explorator dudes are investigating a tomb with skitarii, and they start getting horror movie killed one by one. Last explorator alive realises that one of the team was a Flayed One all along when it gloats while killing him, implying that the AdMech is fully infiltrated.

2013 is pre Necron backstory reboot, isn’t it?

I mean not that it makes a difference, I’m just curious.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Are the Callidus assassins the psychic blanks? I think they got tied into the Necron Pariahs, pre Necron reboot (where the Pariahs ceased to exist).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arcsquad12 posted:

Either way it's a step up from the Tempests Scions codex literally being an SS handbook with the German words edited out.

Wait, what the gently caress?

I liked the way the Space Marine videogame handled women characters - the leader of the Imperial Guard regiment is a woman, and she’s depicted as being competent, not sexualized, not a damsel in distress, and really at no point does the game call attention to her gender or turn her into an overcompensating tomboy with a chip on her shoulder or something. She’s just there to get poo poo done.

When I decided I wanted to build an Imperial Knight model because I thought they looked cool, I bought one of the older codexes just so I had an idea of what Knights were all about. I rolled my eyes a little bit when the codex said there are no female Knight pilots, so for my Knight’s headcanon backstory I decided to make the pilot a woman just to give the codex the finger.

And then I learned that Dawn of War 3 had beaten me to the punch with Lady Solaria. :v:

Anyway here’s my (almost complete) Knight, I like how it’s turned out. :shobon:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Immanentized posted:

Rumor/Anecdote/fragmentary evidence was the young spartiates would have to go kill a helot (the not quite slave, not quite freemen peasant class in Sparta), to prove their worthiness before becoming full citizens. Sort of a Skull and Bones secret society thing but instead of hanging dick infront of your future peers, you killed a person just trying to survive.

Isn't the paired off to kill your partner thing also stolen from star wars? Isn't that how the Empire red dudes trained? Dumb as hell, I mean, way to kill off 50% of your viable and mostly trained recruiting class.

Yeah, I remember that from the Star Wars: Crimson Empire.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MonsterEnvy posted:

Speaking of Cain here is the cover of his new book.

Whoa whoa whoa, we’re getting a new Cain book? What’s the ETA?

Schadenboner posted:

Re-release the Cain mini you Emperor-forsaken bastards!

I’ve got that mini. I spoke to the manager of my local GW store and he said that after recent legal kerfuffles, the current GW policy is to not release minis unless there’s tabletop stat lines released for them simultaneously, and vice versa.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 25, 2018

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groetgaffel posted:

Cain vs Newcrons is at the top of my wishlist.
I'd love to find out how Cain would react to instead of facing enigmatic metal warriors doing enigmatic things, came face to face to an Overlord that out-:smuggo: even him.

Trazyn the Infinite.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zasze posted:

For sure read pariah first magos while good gives up waaaaay too much of the game to be read before hand.

I harp on this all the time, but it sure would be sweet if they reprinted Pariah.

Oh well, it’s not like I’m starved for BL stuff to read.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Time sensitive post because I’m in a secondhand store:

Is the Iron Warriors omnibus worth buying for $8?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well I’d left the store by the time I saw these replies, but I’ve got a ton of store credit so I’ll be sure to grab it when I go back. Thanks for the recommendations! :hfive:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vadoc posted:

Either way I hope this encourages them to also have a sequel to the Space Marine game.

Christ, this. Space Marine owns, we need a sequel.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Have any books/stories explored what Adeptus Mechanicus thinks of Necrons? Like, they’re living, sentient machines, you’d think AdMech would have an opinion about them.

I know there was the rumor that AdMech was worshipping one of the C’tan trapped on Mars and didn’t realize it, but I don’t know if that’s still true in the current fluff.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There’s a “nerds who read nerdy franchise fiction are antisocial, news at 11” joke in there somewhere, but you bring up an interesting point. With BL stuff, it’s fiction that’s inherently tied to a social hobby - tabletop gaming. I don’t know what the overlap is between people who play the games and read the books, and I’m sure there are people who are into one or the other, but you’d think there’d be enough common ground for people who read the stuff to have basic social skills.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

Not if you've spent enough time around a GW store you wouldn't.

I spend a lot of time in my local GW store and there’s a shitload of social people there, but my GW store is also exceptional so YMMV I guess.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cessna posted:

Straight up, if I was at a book store buying a BL novel and someone walked up to me and asked if I was into 40K I'd probably make my excuses and leave quietly.

Sure, there are nice people into this hobby, but there are also a lot of weirdos.

It’s a well known fact that Ted Bundy had a Grey Knights army and was an avid reader of 40k fiction.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Iron Rose posted:

I genuinely can't tell if you're joking or not

I’m joking, just poking fun at the idea that someone in a book store striking up conversation about mutual reading interests might actually be trying to lure you into their unmarked white van so they can lock you away in their rape-dungeon or something.

Like yeah Barnes & Noble isn’t a nightclub, but it’s not a monastery or library either.

Also full disclosure I half-assed my research on Ted Bundy before using him for the joke. Bundy was executed in 1989, I don’t know if Grey Knights existed as an army or if 40k books were a thing at that point. :v:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 6, 2019

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bunnyofdoom posted:

Eh...I've stopped recommending 1d4chan because of all the loving racism/misogyny now.

(It's real baaaaad_)

Are there any 40k wikis you’d recommend?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Didn’t ‘Legion’ by Dan Abnett tackle the (pre-Heresy) Alpha Legion from the perspective of regular people?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chiwie posted:

This makes him BL's goto for tie in novels.

I initially read “goto” in the context of C. S. Goto and was real confused.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Azubah posted:

We all know Mark Strong is going to do his damnedest to be on the project somehow.

He needs to start kicking some doors in and get Space Marine 2 made.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

How often does the fluff call back to/acknowledge our present-day "real world" or its history? Like I know the Golden Throne is in antarctica or something, and aren't the High Lords of Terra located in the UK where the Games Workshop HQ is located? I'm picturing stuff like the Voyager 2 probe sitting in Trazyn the Infinite's collection.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

wiegieman posted:

I find this particularly funny, given recent events.

What do you mean?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Didn’t that technological enlightenment also lead to a full on AI uprising which caused a self-imposed “dark ages” because everyone now feared technology?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What Cawl book?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The November issue of White Dwarf has a bit about Inquisitors and mentions that Jokaero make “digital weapons” and lists off ring-weapons and finger lasers as examples. “Digital weapons” in this context means “weapons one wears on their digits (fingers)”, right? Like basically miniaturized weapons?

I also didn’t realize the Inquisition had smaller Ordos outside of the main three, and the examples they gave were hilarious (literal time-cops, or the group that does gently caress knows what, and the other group whose sole mission is figuring what the gently caress the first group does).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

They are separate Ordos that act independently from the main three. As inquisitors go about their duty their interests/focus might change and that’s where the ordos and their focus/specialities come into play. I believe a lot of the smaller ordos (Ordos Minoris I think they are called?) were created for the 40k pen and paper games, so I don’t know if they are considered canon or not.

The Ordos Minoris are in the recent White Dwarf I mentioned, complete with rules and stats for making your own tabletop Inquisitor within one of the Ordos Minoris. I’d say they’re still “canon”.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Oh, nice! Did they include the Ordos that was in charge or monitoring feudal worlds for chaos/heresy? I always liked them the best - it was fun to think of them as grimdark anthropologists.

Not that I recall - the article only named a handful, but it said there are a ton that weren’t listed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I always liked the stuff about the Ordo Time Cops all vanishing/ceasing to exist for a few hundred years, and then one day just suddenly existing again.

What is this from?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

abrosheen posted:

Magos, especially the novella at the end, was so good. I really enjoyed Pariah too, and all of these novels link together and build, so my advice would be to keep reading all of them (Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Magos, Pariah) and join me in praying for Abnett to soon continue the Eisenhorn/Ravenor series.

Going into Ravenor, the middle book was probably my favorite of the three. The first felt like a lot of setup, and the third was a continuation of side stories from the first two that build to something else.

Has Pariah been reprinted or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ed balls balls man posted:

Titanicus is great just for Abnett's depiction of Skitarii before they actually had models and became steampunk shite.

Counterpoint: skitarii models are cool and good. :colbert: