Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Finger Prince posted:

Nobody show to Toyota's designers this.

2020 Prius eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

glyph posted:

Ho buddy, have I got bad news for you. Them ain’t allen heads.

Hahahahaa

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I would be okay with 2 separate CAN buses, one that is completely severed from any network and one that runs the infotainment and other junk. We're at a point where cars will be more and more connected to the internet. Chevy just had an ad where it shows Alexa/Siri opening the car doors. Why? Who knows.

What are we securing against?

Malicious code, probably, but bad manufacturing definitely. Instead of another key fiasco where a physical component causes accidents because no one took the time to think that people have keychains, we're opening up cars to have faults that you can't possibly test against. It's going to be something stupid like someone using up the available memory by having the car on too long and inadvertently causing some process to crash or freeze but since it was never really possible for it to crash there's not going to be an error message and whoops now the brakes don't work.

Or just one of those ransomware attacks.

Envisioning a heist where a hacker in the getaway car causes the doors in all the cars around theirs to open on the freeway while going 90 mph with police in pursuit. That would be a pretty cool (and gory) movie scene somehow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Reminds me of the logic of some of the folks when I was in college. The university used to charge some absurd amount of money for a semester parking pass on campus. The fee for getting caught parking without one was half that. The college parking was so crowded people would miss class if they couldn't find a spot somewhere. So the economy became conducive to people rolling the dice and parking without passes when they found a spot and not moving the whole day. Because of the volume of traffic in and out, campus police never caught anyone more than once.

I did this for my car registration in college and grad school. The state made you get registered every year but didn't mandate any actual vehicle inspections. it ended up being that a ticket for an expired registration was less than a tenth of the cost of the registration. so I just never registered my car for 5 years straight and I end up getting only about three tickets.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, our glorious NFL will be arguing this one for quite some time. Physics is a bitch.

They are already deniers of the combined gas law.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dazzle camo. You can't tell whether it's a Supra or a Bugatti fiero

Or Chrysler

edit: lol

That Works fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 18, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grakkus posted:

As well as a Soviet-era Eastern European car called a Borewicz:

The car in question:

That interior is siiiiiick

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Pretty sure the Prius has a similar shifter mount high up like that too, at least the ones my last job had for fleet cars did.

My 2012 does.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

Is that what that's for?? I've been driving one for years and never knew. I'll have to try it out! The regen alone is better than coasting in an automatic - I never considered there may be more available.

I was told that the engine braking wasn't regenerative, is that true?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cutlasses used to be p cool

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dennis McClaren posted:

Has anyone ever built a project car where the accelerator is the same as an airplanes? Where you have to move the accelerator forwards and backwards. Seems like it would be pretty fun.

Seems like a good way to slam the brakes and slam the accelerator forward at the same time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Where is the terrifying part?

The 3 seconds before death where you realize a homemade roll cage wasn't a good idea.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

It would be nice if they could put one in the driver's seat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Powershift posted:

The bricks didn't just vanish, so they're all proper hosed.

I was thinking the same thing. It's just insalt to the thousands of pounds of brick injury.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I read that word properly then came back to make this joke. gently caress you, well done. :hfive:

I actually wrote it out with the right spelling then was like "hey wait" and edited in a shameful joke

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Buncha jealous non-R8 owners itt

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

ya, cuz we don't buy poo poo cars

*gazes around AI*

:shuckyes:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thief posted:

is this real?

Business up front, party in the back.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

edit: Should add I'm bad judge on truck styling...but egads.

Goddamn that looks like poo poo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

thanos_truck.jpg

hahah yes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wrong thread

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

I want to piss in it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't know where to put this harlequin Saturd.

In here

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

So if I stance a car, make it worse to drive in every aspect and ruin the ride, it belongs in this thread, but if I do the same but opposite it doesn’t?

Yes

E: no but opposite.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thief posted:

mainly because it eventually resulted in one of the best car pictures ever being taken:

Gets me every time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thief posted:

sorry but safety is of the utmost concern to me

that is why i am currently leasing a Subaru Crosstrek. the superior boxer engine allows me to maximize ground clearance with the same center of gravity of a lesser utility vehicle. that combined with the AWD is why i NEVER have to worry about my car flipping over when mounting that massive pile of snow that accumulated next to my front wheels comprised entirely of the snow on my windshield that slid off perfectly and with ease thanks to my Stage 2 defroster system

This is pure uncut New England poo poo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

There are probably good owners of them out there, but I can think of the last 3-4 most heinous driving bullshit events I've encountered on my commute and it's been an Acura RDX every single time. I think the vehicle attracts a special type of rear end in a top hat with no concern for their own or anyone else around them's safety with a dose of nastiness on top of it.

e: like if I was still dating and not married and a girl told me she drove an RDX I'd walk out kind of deal.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sweet, IKEA is making spoilers

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I see plenty of them mounted but I've never seen one in operation.

To be fair neither do most of the people that own them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

It's how the ad was presented. Frankly I didn't want to research it any further because it's just so horrid.

Why

Firmly belongs itt

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

If I can't fit a sheet of plywood in it then there's no loving point to having a bed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You're in the right thread kid

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:chloe:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i dont hate it. why is it bad?

I don't like it because it's yet another vehicle with a bed on it that's loving useless.

I'd just get a Cherokee if I wanted to offroad with 4 doors I guess?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Why would a LONEWLF need an extended crew cab?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

fakeaccount posted:

Why would the mirrors tilt down when you shift into reverse anyway? I've never even heard of this.

So you can't see the little kid laying right underneath your tire

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

When your foot wells are full of water because your Wrangler daily driver soft top leaked, if there's a bad enough electrical problem you're not exactly going to notice it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Looks a lot nicer than the GM paintjob just falling off the vehicle at least.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Just eat the drat delicious waffle fries. Our existence on this planet has far worse implications.

The best fast food fries were Central Park, may they (almost) RIP in peace

I dunno pretty easy call to not give money to a company that just got exposed for giving money to LGBTQ hate groups but you do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

um excuse me posted:

If we actively refused patroning places that did shady poo poo we'd basically starve. I say this as a two week strike ends for my local grocery store for trying to kill a bunch of benefits for workers.

It's my local too. Did you cross the picketline?

"No Ethical Consumption in Capitalism" isn't enough for me to ignore Chick Fil A when 5 guys is making fries down the street and isn't at least actively trying to ostracize my family members from society. There's bad capitalism and there's blatant.