Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wallaka posted:

140+dB sound pressure level.

They got to hear what that sounds like only once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xzzy posted:

Well every racing series clips a car's wings with rules. So I guess they go as fast as they can within the limits of their governing body.

But that doesn't roll off the tongue now does it. :v:

If ya ain't cheatin', ya ain't tryin' :clint:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

Why would someone put those ugly rear end wheels on an accord wagon.

Needs vinyl wood-grain appliqued to the spokes

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It seems to have been modified for a very specific reason, but I can't figure out what that reason is. Those look like deep fryer baskets packed into the back.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

right click "copy image location" to get the url of the image itself.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'd still rather be killed by a high speed robot than some dumbass in a corolla. Makes for a better epitaph.

RIP Blue Footed Booby
Died eating a Google bug

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xzzy posted:

We actually got one step closer to that the other day, and if the proposed rules get implemented might even be required equipment within 10 years.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/13/13936342/wireless-vehicle-to-vehicle-communication-v2v-v2i-dot-nhtsa

Once cars are talking to each other, traffic lights won't be far behind.

Audi has an interface for traffic lights. https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/news/press-releases/2016/08/audi-announces-first-vehicle-to-infrastructure-service

It's one way (the light telling the car how long to go until it changes), but it portends more traffic signal and vehicle interaction in the future. Smart traffic management will probably be a bigger deal than self-driving cars in the long run.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

THIS is the part that scares me. Given that there are people who can't be bothered to get their oil changed, imagine the ways people will fail to maintain robocars. It's too easy to imagine someone saying "sure one of the cameras is broken, but there are three more! What's field of view??"

Rest in Pieces

Presumably the cars will have self-tests to prevent them from going when damaged. Which will then lead to forum discussions of how to bypass the lockouts and get a damaged self-driver back on the road without actually fixing it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xzzy posted:

Uber must really hate money with the way they constantly give the middle finger to pretty much every government they encounter.

I mean they got a raw deal early on when cab drivers started getting sue happy over their business model coming under threat, but since then Uber has acted like Sex Pistols: The Company.

Their business model depends entirely on screwing their drivers as much as possible, so the lawsuits are quite justified, IMO.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

http://i.imgur.com/kfuoM17.gifv

edit: this took about nine loving tries to make it embed so if it doesn't work for whatever device you're using I apologise in advance

Yeah, I pulled it up before you got it animated and was wondering just what it was I was supposed to be seeing that was remarkable.

I now see that someone was testing a new sort of run-flat tire. Doesn't look ready for market just yet, though.

That's actually what my driver's ed teachers told us to do in a bad road situation - if you have to ruin the tire and rim, do so to get to a safe place to pull over. I think they took that advise a little too strongly.

Of course, the body damage to the left front suggests that this person may have hit something to cause the damage in the first place and may not be driving on a full tank of gas, so to speak.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 16, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nocheez posted:

I don't think individuals will own driverless cars in the future. Wouldn't you rather keep your garage space open and just press a button to request the nearest available car, and pay per ride? A driverless car sitting in your garage for 95% of its life is a waste.

There will certainly be a role for driverless car sharing (particularly in urban areas), but it's not going to displace ownership. Having your own car you can leave stuff in or customize to your own personality is a powerful draw that isn't going away.

When car-sharing is perceived as something you do to save money, people will want to own their own cars just to show they can afford it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

The reason Uber is so cheap is because their fares only cover something like 40% of their costs. They're losing billions each year. Ride it while it lasts.

Once they drive traditional taxis out of business, they'll be the new taxis. It'll cost more than the old taxis and the service will be worse, but the drivers will only make half as much.

Welcome to the Victorian Industrial Age Gig Economy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

When I was in grade 7 a teacher once asked who thought advertising and marketing provided a benefit to society and I was the only person in the class to not put up my hand. Then I had to explain that I thought companies were willing to stretch the truth or create a story just to convince you to buy into their product or service and everybody told me I was stupid and ads tell you about new cool poo poo to buy. The older I get the more I realise how hosed up that was.

“Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don’t have on something they don’t need.” - Will Rogers

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

eighty-four merc posted:

I work at a Toyota store. The whole "techs are at fault" thing is Toyota's angle to try and not have to buy back every rav on the road.

No one is installing them wrong, it's just a bad design and Toyota refuses to fix the part. They keep replacing the same part with basically the same part and expecting wheels to stop falling off.

Part of instructions for current campaign is you have to get someone else who is also certified to do the campaign to watch you torque everything down to spec and sign off on it. Presumably so they can say it's a conspiracy of crooked techs who want ravs to fall apart or something. Pretty cool.

Rav4s are having piston ring problems too, aren't they? A friend of ours is having hers replaced by Toyota despite having 150k miles on it. She said there was a waiting list of like two or three weeks to get it done due to all the others needing it, too.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

I love the C-HR and I'm a literal automotive designer. The undercuts and surface interaction are exciting as hell to me.
Maybe it will only appeal to designer types though which is a shame. I thought most people would appreciate how out there it was :(
A+ would daily drive.

Bring back tail fins.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

People love to poo poo on HOAs but after you experience the neighbors who love to park on the lawn and whose house looks like it survived a war, you're a bit more thankful for them. Granted, the ultra nazi ones are terrible too, but my current one has only given me grief for leaving out my trash can on the curb for 4 days.

Real cities have zoning laws, enforced by the local police force, rather than resorting to quasi-governmental stand-ins.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

The weirdest thing about Homeowner's Associations to me is that they are a uniquely American thing, the land of OUR FREEDOMS. Telling someone they need to have their house a certain way, just like the rest of the street, is the kind of conformity that you lot usually despise.

It's the direct result of OUR FREEDOMS, actually. HOAs are most prevalent in cities with weak and/or decentralized governments and little or no zoning laws.

Turns out it really does suck to have a neighbor running a hog manure processing plant in his back yard. Without zoning laws they can do exactly that. HOAs then are formed to put some limits on how residential properties can be used. Not being directly accountable through open, public, democratic processes, they can tend to get a bit autocratic.

Turns out strong government is actually a good thing in most cases. That's why everyone wants to live in blue states with high taxes, high services, and high quality of life - resulting in high housing prices. Weak-government red states tend to have lots of OUR FREEDOM and low housing prices because no one actually wants to live there.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I unironically appreciate you formatting it like a Trump tweet for us. Shouldn't Crossovers fall under "car" designations rather than "truck" for CAFE requirements, since they're built on car platforms?

The Chrysler PT Cruiser was technically a truck based on the precise definitions. I think it's complicated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bajaha posted:

I found out they make white vinyl decals for use with certain tires, like the Michelin pss which I've recently bought.

I'm tempted just to see what it'll look like, but not sure how vinyl will hold up.

Peel and stick whitewalls would be kind of cool. You could cut all sorts of shapes into them. It would be a much cooler fashion statement than stancing and all that other rot.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Thank you, this is the kind of insight that's needed with this stuff. Don't forget, I'm not American, so I have a large degree of separation from how your law actually works.

I still say he wasn't done just for "not telling them what they wanted to know".

In a sense they actually did prosecute him because he didn't squeal - but only because ratting out his compatriots was a way to save himself. The charges against him were not made up just to persecute him for not cooperating. They had a solid case against him and offered him a way out. When he refused the deal, they went ahead. It's not the Kafka-esque scenario some civil libertarians paint.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

Oh nothing, just gotta keep those upperty kids down their whole lives fellow GOP voter.

I guess you'd be better off if they didn't actually forgive the loans so you could pass your debt on to your kids.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Huh, I always wondered what made Cadillac stop being recognized as a luxury car manufacturer by the the general public

Yeah, GM lost its way with the Cadillac brand in the 80s. They were no longer exclusive and luxurious, they were just rebadged Chevies and it was obvious. They squandered generations of brand value overnight.

Then GM tried to turn Cadillac in to BMW and failed miserably. It just stands for pretentious bullshit now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fakeaccount posted:

Give me a history lesson here. Why was it happening?

Because US car makers were still selling cars by the pound at that point. Large cars were expensive to buy and maintain, but were well appointed and luxurious to drive (with terrible gas mileage). Burning lots of gas was just part of the cost of ownership. Small cars were cheap to buy and maintain, with chintzy, spartan interiors. They got good gas mileage because the owners couldn't afford to buy it. The assumption was that people would buy all the car they could afford, and were buying small cars only because they couldn't afford a big one.

Imports started eating their lunch because there actually was a market for well-appointed small cars. Honda, particularly, with first the Civic and then the Accord, sold like crazy because they were small, fun to drive, and well appointed with lots of luxuries and gadgets that simply couldn't be had in a small American car.

GM's response was platform-sharing across brands - so they could sell you a small Chevy upmarket as a Caddy. With five brands, though, keeping them distinct became a problem. The similarities between Chevrolets and Cadillacs became too obvious and the Cadillac brand lost all of its luster in a hurry. That's also why Oldsmobile and Pontiac bit the dust.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Seems like an awfully expensive method to harvest oranges.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

Another sad thing about 80s GM is the Fiero. Here was a car with so much potential ruined by beancounters and poor marketing. The '88 models were a massive improvement but the damage had been done.

80s GM: Half-assed design and half-fast performance.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

I'm allowing myself a moment of cognitive dissonance between "they've clearly been using it to tow things" and "no one would ever use it to tow it's just a bumper extension".

I've seen those before. The balls are different sizes so they can tow a variety of trailers without as much hassle.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'm rather confused by this. For kicks I Googled "Gaggi Hills" and it is a town in Sicily - yet the sign is written in English. I'm also seeing American cars and signage, but that appears to be a German license plate.

It must be a stunt for a TV show somewhere.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

weg posted:

A friend got a Fourtwo recently and is head over heels in love with it. She was very proud of her purchase and insisted I give it a test drive. The transmission is truly as bad as reported, possibly worse. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was the goofiest piece of poo poo I've ever driven. Awful throttle response, bad ride and under no circumstance will it ever smoothly shift gears. Also the gas pedal is hinged on the floor, not on the traditional push-in arm most cars have so they somehow made that feel horrible too.

They got the size right at least, it is really drat small. If I lived in a city where a car like that made sense I'd have a nice bike and a bus pass instead.

My daughter is the same way. Smart buyers are operating with a rather different set of criteria than the rest of us. She absolutely loves it and I struggle to find a single nice thing to say about it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

buttcrackmenace posted:

... or what a couple of insane Austrians can cobble together out of a Smart coupe with a dead engine and a wrecked GSX-R 1000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwzHJo3IXM

This one's cute, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnp-PKvNIZk

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

:(

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

iospace posted:

... Did they use a Veloster as the base here? Either way, :barf:

Given the location of the fuel filler door, it's a VW Beetle.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That's kids' stuff. This is where it's at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLaBFkeHG0A

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

Someone confirm for me that you have places in America that have a single pump handle that supplies different grades of fuel? Maybe i haven't read the last page or so correctly.

Because if that's true, that's the weirdest poo poo that has come out of this discussion for me. Every petrol station I've ever seen has separate nozzles for each grade. I've seen 91/95/98* and diesel all on the one machine, with four separate nozzles

*We measure octane differently to you, not sure what the equivalents are.

Yeah, I just bought gas today at a pump with three grades and one hose. Most of them are like that here. If you're buying 10 gallons, a couple ounces of the wrong grade left in the hose don't make any difference.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

A lot of essos here have tim hortons in them so you can get gas and fuel up your car in one stop.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's actually Impressive Chrysler has survived as long as it has.

They've reportedly been on the brink of bankruptcy for about 50 years now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

They've gone bankrupt twice and were bailed out by the taxpayer both times.

I must be getting old because this poo poo wasn't *that* long ago and I remember it clearly, it was a big deal, we even had hundred page threads about it on this very forum. But more than 1 person pops in every week asking "how has Chrysler not gone bankrupt?" Uh they just loving did? :confused:

The 1980 bailout wasn't technically a bankruptcy. My point was more that they've been struggling with their finances even since the '50s. They've been up and down, but never very far from insolvency.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I have very confused feelings for Chrysler. They've made such amazing things, but can never seem to make things right

I've owned several Chryslers through the years because their cars were interesting at least. They generally weren't very bad about repairs - at least the stuff that broke was fairly cheap. The expensive stuff like the driveline lasted a long time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

spog posted:

I'm getting a real sense of proportion here

Paris to Moscow (1500 mi) is less than New York to Denver (1600 mi).

New York to LA is about the same as Lisbon to Moscow.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's in Townsville?

Sounds made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

http://47news.ru/articles/118838/

Google translate says a man was pissed at his wife for wanting to change her last name to "Verny" as part of a supermarket promotion so he filled her car with concrete. Russia.