Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
It seems Kotaku is pretty awesome as usual.

quote:

What I hate is the Wii U Pro Controller.

You might be saying, "Well, you hate the Wii U Pro Controller because it looks like the Xbox controller." No. Rather, what I don't like about the Wii U Pro Controller is that it's too light. It feels like the first PS3 controller, the SixAxis, which was also too light. There's no heft to it—and the Wii U controller feels as though it's going to float out of your hand.

Thank you Mr. Ashcraft, I am glad you have informed us that the Wii U controller is filled with helium and will fly. There's a new gameplay mechanic Nintendo kept secret!

I wonder if it's really true that the force feedback is incredibly weak and unnoticable. I can't imagine why that would be the case. Maybe it's a piece of poo poo test unit or something? Though I kind of wonder why he hates the controller being so light. As for it feeling like it would "easily snap in half." ... I don't think Nintendo has a track record of releasing hardware like that.

Also, apparently a bunch of people got pissed recently at Kotaku. Something about when they released some screenshots of PS3's Batman to Wii U's Batman, they doctored the images to make the Wii U not look like as much of an improvement? I never heard anything about this, and kind of doubt it... but thought it was funny to hear a claim of this against Kotaku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

The best feeling controller ever was the GameCube :colbert: they should slap a proper second analog and another shoulder button on that

I agree on this. The wavebird is one of the best feeling controllers I've ever used. Which is funny, because I remember when the controller was announced... people were bitching that it was the worst controller ever, stupid, babby toy, etc... then the super long handles were reduced in length and people were bitching about how it was now impossible to hold and not designed for Americans. People were saying Japanese had hands half the size of most Americans so the controller was designed only for them and not for anyone in America etc etc... and then the controller was just so comfortable.

Someone did post a comment on that article of a black colored GC controller with an extra stick and the -, home, and + buttons in the center. I would love that.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Evil Benius posted:

Oh and ZombiU has me there as well. A game I just know is going to end up disappointing me, but I am excited for anyway.

So far, every single hands on has been impressed and in love with the game.

I mean, I guess the beginning / demo could be great and the game horrible... but so far there really hasn't been any big complaints by those who have gotten to try it.

Unlike Red Steel, which got hyped by Nintendo and Ubisoft over and over again... then when people tried it it was like: "Uhmmm it's ok. We like using the Wii Remote to aim a gun and sword stuff seems ok. Maybe the final version will be better." Release: "gently caress this game." Went from ehh maybe it'll improve to HATE.

I remember my roommate got the game and the sword fights sucked. He got tired of trying to play them the right way and realized he could just waggle the remote aimlessly and as wildly as possible and win. Who cares about blocking and special moves when wild hits will eventually hit them? They could barely get an attack in and I think he only ever really died once or twice in late game special boss fights.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

greatn posted:

I would hope this at least inspires an angry phone call from Reggie to EA's president.

It should bring back the Reggie of old. He personally visits the president of EA and powerbombs him through the planet.

And then...........Waluigi.

waa

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Maybe I'm just a bond fanatic but count me the gently caress down for this if it has good multi on top of all the Bond goodness. I loved the Goldeneye remake on the Wii and this looks like that times a hundred. Visuals definitely need tweaking though it looks like a Wii game rendered at 1080.

I remember reading reviews of the GoldenEye on the Wii... And it seemed like it was a pretty good game. But then almost everyone I know that has talked about the game hated the poo poo out of it and were like: "THEY RUUUUUUINED IT :qq:"

But I'm fairly certain that 100% of their reasoning is the fact that it is the new Bond rather than Pierce Brosnan. Never really heard any reasoning other than: "They ruined it" or "It's not supposed to be the new actor in Goldeneye! :qq:"

That being said, I hope to play all FPS on console with something like the Wii Remote and nunchuck from now on. I hate dual analog so much. I played way too much FPS on PC for years before dual analog became a thing... I'm just too used to a mouse and can never quite feel the same or the same control with 2 sticks as when I have a mouse. Oh well.

I wonder if we'll have several games trying to do FPS using aiming via the tablet... like you have to move it around to aim. I can see it being ok for sniping games but I feel otherwise it would be annoying and I wouldn't want it to be the main aiming mechanic.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 27, 2012

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

The thing is that when you watch the 2011 E3 when you know it's a new console, it's like seeing Fight Club the second time. Things that were unclear or confusing now make perfect sense.

I realized immediately the Wii U was a new console when I watched that E3... I never once thought it was confusing / seemed like 100% nothing more than a controller for the Wii.

Many goons, however, were posting their raging hatred of Nintendo for releasing a new controller instead of a new console about 5-6 hours later.

Some of which had been posting angrily about it for hours, rather than having just seeing everything for the first time.

I don't get it.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Man, forget Brawl/Melee/Wii U SSB. The real question is whether or not Brawl Blog is gonna come back. That poo poo was the BEST!

I agree. I remember going there each day like: "WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?"

And I also agree on not starting the big Melee vs Brawl debate again for the millionth time in this thread alone.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Revol posted:

Yeesh, this was deserving of a custom title?

edit: Not that I'm going to bitch for a mod to change me back. If somebody wants to spend $10, they get to spend $10.

Odd, I would have thought your post would be more misunderstood by an angry person as a: "LOOK NINTENDO IS GOING TO FAIL EVEN IF IT SOLD OUT BECAUSE THEY MADE TOO FEW ON PURPOOOOOOSE" than a "pls dont hurt ntndo" thing.

--

Someone asked about why people would want the black model... for me it would be the discount and Nintendo Land. I had a pretty good time playing Wii Sports with friends at a few parties and with the family so I figure I could get some fun out of that. Plus the extra memory space would be nice (though I plan to get a big hard drive for it anyway, so this isn't a big plus). I'll probably buy a ton of digital stuff though so the discount on that will be nice.

At the same time I'm low on cash right now, and want to save up more before getting another console. I'll probably buy it when Monster Hunter comes out.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Using your guns DOES attract zombies. I can't remember where... but I remember article linked in this thread about a week or so ago that mentioned it.

It talked about how a room would have 2-3 zombies and you could shoot them to kill them easy but then suddenly zombies would be coming.. that you often had to decide of a gun was really worth it due to other zombies coming.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
But we JUST had a post a page ago where it was from the guy from Sega saying: "yeah we didn't do that because :effort:" It wasn't Nintendo going :tinfoil: and blocking the Internet from our fragile child-like minds.

edit:

quote:

From the producer at Sumo Digital:

quote:
I've just commented on this over at Eurogamer. Bear in mind Voice chat is only supported by third party peripherals and then only on the GamePad. Given we felt only a select few players would therefore go buy said peripheral and it meant only one player being able to chat, we opted to spend the time and effort on features more players would enjoy.

We've hardly rushed it out, we've attempted to support as many WiiU specifics as we can via the 5 player splitscreen both off and online, WiiU specific game modes, Mii's with a unique vehicle and more.

You make these calls with a launch title as you don't know what kind of uptake a given feature has. Besides, lack of voice chat never hurt Mario Kart Wii eh? :P

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 23, 2012

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Xenomorph posted:

1) What's up with the storage? / How will it be handled?

These posts show up every page almost and it always makes me wonder why someone bothers to make a super comprehensive first post since almost no goon will ever read it and will just enter the page asking basic questions w/o looking anywhere else first. I feel sad for the guys that spend a long time making really nice OPs :(

quote:

After buying dozens of Virtual Console games and WiiWare stuff, I *immediately* stopped buying all together when I learned they are tied to the system, not to my account.

What account? The Mii you made?

Or did you mean the separate Club Nintendo website that the Wii didn't really do anything (that I recall) with? I never once really thought there was some account tied to my Wii.

The odd one that I can more easily see being confused on would be the 3DS and Club Nintendo. Since on that you tie the two together via your 3DS, yet it's only for coins rather than some kind of game ownership account.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I wasn't asking about if anything was tied to an account. I know it's tied solely to the Wii. I was more confused by the fact that Xenomorph said he downloaded *dozens* of titles before he realized it was tied to his Wii and not some kind of user account that was we never set up.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Artix74 posted:

I assume this only transfers the licenses for VC/Wiiware/etc like how the DSi->3DS transfer did? Mainly curious so I know how much VC stuff I'll need to redownload.

quote:

*Data will be moved to the SD card, at which point you switch it back to the Wii U
*The data will be moved onto the Wii U and then deleted from the SD card.

It doesn't sound like it'll do it in the same way as the 3DS's dumb transfer. Unless "the data" is the license. Which doesn't make sense. But.... Nintendo.

I'm assuming/hoping it's not a redownload though.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

And from the Nintendo Direct stuff about a page ago, it says you will make a Nintendo Network account using a password and email and all purchases will be tied to that account. And I'm not sure what account you keep referring to on your Wii. There was no kind of account for it, ever. No matter how much we wish (and logic would dictate) for the Club.Nintendo account to count as ownership of the games, it was never specified to do that or called a Wii account or anything.

Though the Wii transfer stuff I suppose might only tie it to the console, which is dumb... but not unexpected of Nintendo. Hopefully something like that could be fixed once they implement Nintendo network into their other consoles, phones, PC, etc.

Xenomorph posted:

(I was one of those weirdos that camped out all night to get one at release).

I did that too. I tried to go to a Super Walmart to buy the Wii at midnight, was person number 14 in line... then some manager came out and screamed at everyone to start leaving because Walmart apparently was only given 9 consoles. So I waited overnight at a Best Buy which was said to have received something like 96 of them.

I thought the overnight thing was pretty badass. Several people playing DSes and whatnot, cardgames, people were all nice and friendly. They even made a list of who was where in line that we later gave to the Best Buy people to make things easier. People would get up and drive to the nearby Taco Bell, McD's, etc, and come back with food. Some guys next to my friend and I actually got some extra Taco Bell and shared it with those around them.

MUCH better than the people camping for the PS3 that had stuff thrown at them and whatnot.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 8, 2012

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Guy said they took a waiting list after preorders ran out (which took 1 day) so there is zero chance of anyone picking it up day one there.

They didn't set the limit of preorders at the number of stock they were getting though. They actually have it set lower so that people can still come in and buy them.

Granted they probably won't last more than the day it comes out... but people who camp out could still get one probably.

As for ZombiU, I think it looks pretty awesome. A lot of people have been saying it's like another Demon's Souls. Pretty much all hands-on previews have been very positive.

The only negative things I can really recall being said about it were:
1) It's on the Nintendo babby console so it'll suck
2) Some guy in this thread that said being mostly blind to your surroundings while searching through your backpack was bullshit and not realistic because of peripheral vision and that it was just a bullshit mechanic etc.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

melee combat is pretty boring (doubly so because there is only one melee weapon throughout the game, with one attack animation/type).

I thought I saw something about there being a few other weapons? I at least recall something about a pickaxe killing zombies a lot faster?

Also I thought there were 2 or 3 attack animations? NOt that that makes it anymore exciting. At the same time, I can't see a huge reason to clammor for several attack types with the melee weapon, as you are just some regular person barely able to survive in a world of zombies.

Though it is pretty stupid that you can't upgrade your cricket bat. It should let you customize and fix up everything. You could make CRICKETBAT-CHUCKS.

I still plan on getting ZombiU when I get a Wii U (Monster Hunter release probably)... but I guess I'm more glad it'll probably be down in price then. I was really hoping the game would do well. At least it seems like it's pretty decent (if you like the hopeless survival variety of survival horror games I guess) rather than just plain bad.

I've been skipping through the thread some, it's sad to see that some of the ports weren't even done that great. I guess it's just a problem of everything being rushed so much for the holidays and all?

I love Nintendo, but this makes me more glad to not be early adopting like I did with the Wii. I also have this wish for there to be a Monster Hunter branded console now (I know there won't).

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Iacen posted:

I found this linked on another forum: Wii U launch: Reactions mixed, software already discounted

The headline is rather alarmist, but the content doesn't seem that hit-driven. Is it really that unprecedented as the article makes it, that the games are being sold with a discount already? I have no idea how American retain works and the whole Black Friday-stuff eludes me.

I've seen several games have discounts on them on day one pretty much. I think Best Buy and Toys R Us often has stuff like buy 1 get $10 off or a $10 gift card or buy 1 and get a game from this selection free, etc.

And yeah, Black Friday is when lots of retail stores do big discounts to turn people into ravenous beasts willing to murder each other to save $5-$15 or so.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Edit: Oh geez. I always wondered how goons managed to hit quote and not edit.

greatn posted:

Might be bullshit but this says if you just cancel firmware update when it asks it will still go ahead and download it in the background while you do other stuff. If true should be added to OP. Comments there say it works but who can trust kotaku?

Some goons were posting about doing this on day 1 actually.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Went by Gamestop to pick up my preorder of the Adventure Time CE today. Got to try out the Wii U pad for a bit.

Now I had no doubt about it feeling comfortable, they've been doing a great job at ergonomic controllers for a while. Not to mention everyone said it felt good. But I was VERY impressed by just how good it felt. Was pretty nice.

I played the Rayman demo and... yeah it does look nice, like everyone said. And the game seemed ok... except I got to a Murphy section within a minute of playing 3-4 minutes later I left as I was tired of Murphy mode.

I could see it being fun with friends. Rotating the big spike maze thing for the viking girl to go through would be too hard with a friend. I would probably slam the spikes into them as hard as possible every chance I got.

With the AI though...... not so fun. Why do they just walk slowly along? Why do they look at jumps for several seconds before taking them? gently caress. They should've at least had an adjustable AI level. Pro player mode where the AI does good even if you gently caress up a little... Good mode where it is competent at least and plays fast... And babby mode, which is what it currently does. It'd be the challenge mode: can YOU babysit this lovely player?!

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Well, demographics and attention. The Wii had an enormous install base but the fact that nobody at all CARED, even when good games came out, really hurt it.

Everybody just seemed to purposefully forget it - big titles would be announced, and many, many people owned a Wii (not just casuals!), but there would be little to no conversation about them online. Nintendo's horrific 2008/2009 release schedule seemed to make everyone not even bother to check if there was anything worth playing on their Wii.

I recall 3-5 years ago I'd look around on varius forums and news sites that showed up, and see people always commenting: "Oh well when [whatever new good looking Wii game) comes out it'll finally give me a reason to stop my Wii from collecting dust which it has done for 3 years now!" And then a few months after that game came out something else would come out, and the same people would say: "Oh I can't wait for [next new game] to come out, It'll give me a reason to turn on my Wii which has never been turned on in 4-5 years now!" And then several months later some other game would come out and the SAME people would be posting these things.

I made an account on one site and asked a guy why he hadn't gotten these last 3-4 games that came out that everyone was looking forward to and he'd be like: "Well I just figured I wouldn't bother with it and wait til another game came out." I had a few friends with Wiis that I tried to get to buy games like No More Heroes and they would just be: "Eh... I dunno I think I might want to buy this PS3 game that just came out and only has a rating of 60/100 instead because it still looks cool." People seemed utterly commited to not even buying games they acted excited about on the Wii.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
As a quick note on my "haven't played Wii in forever maybe this game" thing earlier, I'd also like to point out that 1-2 years of not playing now isn't as big of a deal... whereas my story was people 3-5 years ago saying they hadn't played their Wii in 2-4 years or whatever.
----

I still want to get a Wii U, despite the troubles it's having now. I did lose my job recently though so it's not a very GOOD idea to do. Despite not having a lot now, there'll always be a good library of fantastic 1st party games in the future. And I'm still interested in playing ZombiU, Lego City, NSMBU, and trying to show support to any of the indie DLC games. A shame the Deluxe download stuff is only til 2014, rather than 2 years for anyone... but it doesn't sound like a lot is missed on that front so far.

I do love Monster Hunter... But it's hard to think of buying the game again at the moment. I do look forward to Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Monolith's RPG, and whatever Retro is doing that "everyone wants us to do."

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

flyboi posted:

This is just what the Wii U thread devolves to when poo poo posters have a chance to provide their insight from their parent's basement.

I do recall some article that was released right around the time of the Wii U going on about how various AAA titles were going to lose money unless they sold 2-6 million copies each and whatnot. It is getting a bit ridiculous and I figure part of the paranoia over the crash comes from stuff like that.

I know this isn't exactly online... but the other issue that I'm surprised hasn't come up yet is the fact that Nintendo doesn't have an actual account system for your purchases, despite the Wii U having you make an account (:psyduck:). I've never had as big of an issue with this as I'm completely paranoid about losing anything and have extraordinarily good luck with electronics either never messing up, or performing way better than they should. But I know others with too many issues so....

Also:

blackguy32 posted:

Lets also keep in mind that this generation of consoles has lasted far longer than anyone ever expected it to.

Except hasn't it also sort of lasted shorter, considering they claimedt he Move and Kinect were going to easily add at least 5 years to their life? I know the other reason for this gen lasting so long would be due to the fact that MS and Sony were pretty much bleeding money for the first few years, too.

One thing I've been wondering about is the Elite console's digital purchase deal. I know it only lasts the first two years... would there be any chance Nintendo would renew something like that for new only consoles later on? It seems like a nice perk of the black one, and if that didn't happen... seems like a price reduction would be coming soon at the very least. I mainly wonder because I'd love to get a Wii U for a few games and for future games, but won't really be in a great financial position to buy a new console and several games for a while right now.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I've been considering getting a Wii U after getting a new monitor this month. I was wondering if there are currently any deals / upcoming deals on the console? I already know about the MK8 and free game offer.

I'm probably going for the premium console as well. I'm aware that I can get a good external hard drive for the system, but I like the little extras, the game, and the eshop bonus vs paying that much for an extra hard drive I won't fill or use for anything else.

Right now I'm thinking ZombiU (I know it has boring melee and combat but still love the idea), 3d world, Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101, and the mk8 deal.

If there's no great deal on the console, should I just grab a refurb from Nintendo? I recall seeing some goon mention they were pretty good quality and he couldn't tell the difference at one point.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

Zombi U is probably the best game on the system which isn't a knock against Donkey Kong or 3D World because those are amazing also, but Zombi U is goddamned perfect and the somewhat negative to mediocre reviews are dumb and wrong

I actually followed it a lot when it came out. Seemed a lot of people were super let down by the melee attacks being super simple. I actually made a post or two trying to defend it because i'd read tons of the stuff about it at the time. I mainly put my note about it in here as I expected tons of goons to tell me not to bother and call it boring garbage or something.

Edit:
Looking at the refurb page.... does the refurbished Wii U deluxe not come with the charging cradle and stands? Also do you get club nintendo points for refurbs?

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 11, 2014

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

A Bystander posted:

The only Warriors game that I ever gave a poo poo about for more than one playthrough was Warriors Orochi 2 and in that, the enemy generals could be a pain to take out until you got the weapon trait that lets you break through their guard.

I actually really liked the Samurai Warriors: Chronicles game on 3DS a lot. I liked the semi (barely) strategy element of sending generals around and having to switch around the battlefield for the objectives and whatnot. Then again the last time I had played a Musou game was........ Dynasty Warriors 3? Maybe 4?

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Finally got my Wii U refurb in today. I guess I got lucky in that there are no noticeable cosmetic blemishes or anything it! Very nice.

But I'm confused how to register it with Club Nintendo. I linked my Nintendo Network ID and it seems to have automatically hooked me up with my Club Nintendo Account. Yet I see no proof of it on the club Nintendo site. Is it just being slow or is there something else to do?

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

How long did it take?

It ended up showing in my club nintendo about an hour later... so it took around 2.5-3 hours. I knew Club Nintendo was going slow a few days ago for the MK8 stuff, and didn't know if that was still going on or what.

enojy posted:

Oh! About redeeming it on Club Nintendo, it showed up automatically when I next logged in, after having linked the console to my Nintendo ID and all of that. I'm pretty sure it showed up the same day. They do claim that refurbished consoles aren't eligible for Club Nintendo coins, but it worked for me. YMMV, maybe?

Yeah I was worried that maybe they were trying to fix that coin thing, and accidentally made new systems just not show up from some dumb mistake. I've not yet seen anyone who didn't get the 160 coins for their refurbished unit as well.

Also starting out with the Wii U like this is really great. I went with the Best Buy deal for MK8 because I'd rather just get $10 of gas now rather than get 3 games that will take me a while to play (work, various events to go to, 3DS games, PC games, Wii U, reading... no need for so many game purchases right now) by using the TRU deal of 40% off or whatever it was for another game. But still I get Nintendo Land, Mario Kart 8, NSMBU (from the free deal, I'm a soulless monster and just don't care a ton for Pikmin), and have 400 coins expiring on Club Nintendo so I also got Super Metroid through their current offering. Hopefully next month also has a good game to spend the coins on.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 5, 2014

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I've been really paranoid about messing up my gamepad. Does anyone have some kind of preferred product or whatever they use to protect it? I've been putting mine back in the wrap that it came in.

Also I sort of wish the refurbished Wii U still came with the charging cradle... I've got so used to that for my 3DS.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Watching the Splatoon stuff, the only thing I could think of was "poo poo, playing with goons will just be dicks drawn everywhere."

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I always hate how people showing off how to play a game seem to not be very good at the game. The guy playing Captain Toad was going on about how he's the biggest completionist there is, while skipping the big coin stack in that video.

It wasn't terrible, but it reminds me of some gaming news site having Mario 3D Land footage a long time ago, where the guy was barely capable of playing a level without dying 8 or 8 times, and was going on about how hard the game was. And it was something like.... Regular world 3 or 4. And he was pretty must running off ledges or jumping to his death seemingly completely on purpose.

I'm enjoying the footage for Splatoon now though! Toad I'm going to need some more convincing on. Or at least a lower than $60 price. It seemed interesting but not amazing enough for a MUST PURCHASE just yet.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
It does look hilarious... but I kind of hope it's a small part of something big. Or has a lot of improvements to it in the future. Otherwise it feels like something I wouldn't want to spend more than $7 or so on.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I've read about it before, but I can't remember. Does switching your Wii games over to the Wii U get rid of any Wii stuff you had on the Wii U? Or does it just merge the 2? I know it doesn't on the 3DS, but I could swear I read something once about losing something on the U.

I can't hook my Wii up in my current room, but my roommate uses his TV in the other room for his computer now so I can't play the Wii too often. Only problem is I like using Gamecube controllers on the Wii still, too. Considering just getting an HDMI converter for my Wii to use it in my room instead.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
edit: wrong thread

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Is the Nintendo e3 page super broken for anyone else? All day I've been going to pages for games, and when I click "videos" or "screenshots" it just gives me a 404. I thought maybe something would show up at the end of the day, but nothing yet. (and I know the round table is still going.... but...)

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Just wanted to repost this saying I just got back from buying the game for $10 at Best Buy. Of course they didn't care enough to put up any $9.99 sale signs, leaving it marked as $29.99. But it came up as $9.99 on register.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I recall someone posting this a while back:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6553PW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know it is for the pro... but would it work with the Wii U gamepad? And of course I don't mean "will it show video" and poo poo. But will it work for using it as a controller? I'm going to eventually get pro controllers when they go on some sort of nice sale again... but I'd like to gently caress around with my Wii U gamepad on the PC some until then here and there at least.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

edit: also like for real I really need your guys' help for questions for the OP

I've only recently been following the thread a little, and I'm pretty sure I've already seen 6 or 7 people ask if they can use the Wii U Pro Controller to play Wii games.

And this has been true since the last console, but also it should mention that you can't just copy your SD card over from the Wii to Wii U, you have to use the transfer feature.

edit: I meant to answer / quote this too:

Bass Bottles posted:

If all I want to do is copy Wii game save data from my Wii to my Wii U, can I just copy it to an SD card and skip the transfer process?

Nope. I guess it was intended as some kind of anti-piracy measure. Not that it helped piracy on the Wii.... You've never been able to just copy game saves over, that I know of. When I got my Wii on launch day, it had the Internet / first update bug. Rather than wait 2 weeks for it to be repaired, I chose the option where they sent a replacement and I mailed mine back in. I copied all the save info to my Wii and lost my 6-7 hours of progress in Twilight Princess, Wii Sports stuff, and all of the Miis except the Mii of me that I kept on my Wii Remote.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 30, 2014

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

Aw, geez. It may just be that TP and Wii Sports are, unfortunately, both of the games that CAN'T have their data copied? I was able to do it with Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wario Land: Shake It!, and DKCR. I wish I knew which games could and could not have their save data copied, but that sounds like an absurdly difficult and tedious task.

Maybe they changed it at one point? All I know is, when the system came out, I was very annoyed that I couldn't just copy save files from "system 1" and then put those save files on "system 2." It pissed me off that they got rid of memory cards and left us with no way to take our progress to a friend's console. I never tried it again after my first month of owning the Wii.

Ultigonio posted:

Hum. Even the current OP tackles this - it's the second question in the F.A.Q. with a nice, simple picture that I'll probably be re-using for the new OP. Any ideas on how to get people to actually read the dang thing?

I honestly have no clue. In the 3DS, eShop, and Wii U thread there seem to always be people who just come in and ask w/o reading the OP. I guess some are just lazy and have a "NOW NOW NOW NOW" mentality and won't ever look :(

Spacebump posted:

Is there anywhere that has Wii U Pro Controllers for a little less or am I going to just have to pay full price?

Someone recently posted that KMarts (or at least in his area) were clearancing out the Wii U Pro controllers for $30. I mostly keep up with this thread to spot any awesome game sales or to see if there are any big U Pro controller sales. Sadly my closest KMart is 20 minutes away in the direction of nothing I ever go to, so it's not really worth it to use the time and gas to possibly find they don't have them / maybe don't have that price at mine.

Edit: Also apparently if you order from playasia, you can get the Japanese ones (no region locking on controllers) for $30 or so. Granted the S&H is high enough that you should only really do this if you want to order 3-4 controllers. You might even save a bit on 2 controllers.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Shyfted One posted:

White Wii U Pro controllers are on sale for $30 for the week starting next Sunday at Best Buy.

Spectacle Rock posted:

Thanks for telling me about this. Here's a copy of the flyer; discounted Wii Remotes too! Also buy one get one select games, yay!

Click to enlarge this image

I could swear when I was checking Walmart for those clearance stand chargers people kept mentioning (which I didn't find it the 3 that I checked) that I saw the Wii U pro controller for $29.99 there. Along with some knockoff one for the same price, which surely doesn't have the eternal battery that the official one has!

(Also the only Kmart near me didn't have them when when I called 2-3 weeks ago... argh, drat you cheap pro controllers.. I want you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I don't know what ungodly force compelled me but finally 100% on Lego City. Over 40 hours I can't remember the last time I put so much time into a none multiplayer title

Does this mean it took 45 hours to 100% the game? For how much everyone talks about how it has this unbelievable insane amount of content that will keep you busy forever.... that seems really short. I was expecting at least 65+ hours from how much people hyped it up.

enojy posted:

Also, that stand charger (for the Gamepad, yes?) is really cheap even at full price. I paid $6 at Gamestop; it's even less a penny less on Amazon.

I swear someone said 2-3 weeks ago you could find it on clearance at Walmart for something like $3.65 or so. I didn't go out of my way to find it, just stopped at ones I was passing by and I never saw it. :(

• Locked thread