Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I spent around an hour playing Mario Kart 8 and it feels just fine on the Wii U gamepad (the one with the built-in TV.) The only real downside is battery life. The size is a non-issue. Coming from hundreds of hours of Mario Kart 7, the controller felt right at home. The actual handling of the karts was a different story, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm probably going to pick up MK8 tomorrow. I have 3 of the 4 games they are giving away for free and I don't care about WiiU Party. Is anyone interested in buying my code?

There's a thread in SA-Mart for this. I'd link it but I'm on mobile right now, sorry.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You can save 20 bucks by buying a refurbed from Nintendo and MK8, it has 32 gb memory and it'll make your free downloadable game give you five dollars.
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...oryId=cat140077

I did this. Overnight shipping cost $17 and it got to me 18 hours after I placed the order. It also looks and plays perfectly brand new, except it came in a box marked "refurbished" and the gamepad & console have small "reconstitudo" stickers on the backs (for whatever reason, both stickers are 100% spanish. Maybe because I live in Florida?)

It doesn't come with the charging cradle and stand, but that strangely costs only $6 (official Nintendo version) from Gamestop, and yes, you NEED it.

Finally, it claims that the console can't be redeemed for coins at Club Nintendo, but they're dumb because it showed up in my to-do list as a new console registration and gave me the 160 coins!

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 1, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For those 9 of you who just bought a Wii U this weekend, I just found Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on sale for $22.49 at Target.com (online price only, it seems -- worked out to $27 shipped.) Seems to be $35 - $40 everywhere else.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gray Matter posted:

Does anyone know how exactly the free game promo for Mario Kart 8 works? Specifically, I bought a copy of MK8 and haven't registered it yet.

I'm wondering if I'll be able to register it to get my free game download (Zelda), and then be able to buy a promo code from someone else to also be able to download Pikmin3 on the same NNID.

You can do that! I just did exactly that. The seller may need to redeem the promo code first, and choose Pikmin 3 as the game (it will send them an actual download code to pass onto you.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

About 3D World -- is it different enough from 3DS' 3D Land to merit a purchase? I already completed that game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Spacebump posted:

Yes, it's a much better game.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I liked 3D Land, but 3D World is much better. It'll feel like 3D Land was a demo for 3D World.

Awesome, thanks! I really liked 3D Land (except for god drat loving rear end in a top hat Shadow Mario levels,) but I had completed it within a week or two and felt no desire to go back to it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I'm not usually the type to slobber over video game graphics, but Pikmin 3 is loving gorgeous. The art department really knocked it out of the park on that one.

I agree. The only thing that sours it just a little bit for me is the fact that Nintendo doesn't seem to know about anti-aliasing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MaxDuo posted:

Finally got my Wii U refurb in today. I guess I got lucky in that there are no noticeable cosmetic blemishes or anything it! Very nice.

But I'm confused how to register it with Club Nintendo. I linked my Nintendo Network ID and it seems to have automatically hooked me up with my Club Nintendo Account. Yet I see no proof of it on the club Nintendo site. Is it just being slow or is there something else to do?

I also got a mint refurbished Wii U. I even splurged on the overnight shipping and they got it here in about 18 hours. In total with tax, that was $230. It didn't come with a charging cradle, so I picked that up with Mario Kart 8 for $70. Brings my total up to $300, which is $50 less than the bundle with tax... but I don't get a wiimote and wheel. Of course, I didn't realize that the wiimote has a ton of functionality on the Wii U, so I'll likely be buying one of those for around $30, bumping my total up to $330.

I guess in the end, the price difference was kind of negligible -- I could've paid $20 more to get a bonafide brand new Wii U that couldn't possibly have been previously owned by the world's most disgusting baby or something like that. Of course, if I had opted for the free shipping, that would've been $17 more in savings.

Oh! About redeeming it on Club Nintendo, it showed up automatically when I next logged in, after having linked the console to my Nintendo ID and all of that. I'm pretty sure it showed up the same day. They do claim that refurbished consoles aren't eligible for Club Nintendo coins, but it worked for me. YMMV, maybe?

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 5, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MaxDuo posted:

I've been really paranoid about messing up my gamepad. Does anyone have some kind of preferred product or whatever they use to protect it? I've been putting mine back in the wrap that it came in.

Also I sort of wish the refurbished Wii U still came with the charging cradle... I've got so used to that for my 3DS.

My old roommate bought a Wii U on launch day and we spent around 6 months passing that thing around and generally beating the poo poo out of it. It can handle the abuse. I'm sure Nintendo still has a firm grasp of what it takes to make a console outlast the tests of abusive children and manchildren alike. When I was about 7 or 8, I got the original Game Boy for Christmas. When it used to frustrate me (Mario Tennis, Castlevania) I'd set it on the ground screen facing up, and put all of my weight on one heel on the screen. I must have done that dozens of times, and that thing still works.

Also, you can get that same charging cradle & plain cradle for $6 at Gamestop! I'd expect something like that to be $20 or more, but it's only $6. It rules, especially if you've got a coffee table right in front of (or to the side of) you. Or, if you order from Amazon often enough, it's just under $4 there.

Crowbear posted:

If anyone hasn't bought MK8 yet for some reason then Amazon has it for sub $50 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Kart-8-Nintendo-Wii-U/dp/B00DC7G2W8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1402022157&sr=1-1

Get on it. It's super fun.

And still eligible for a free eShop game if registered by 7/31!

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 6, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'd love to see a Super Mario Sunshine HD remake, because I never played the original, because I never owned a Gamecube. Now a third of this thread hates me.

Part of me kind of scoffs at Nintendo, because they already rehash enough poo poo (see: a majority of Nintendo IPs) but at least they're choosing great games to remaster.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I know it already gets plenty of praise, but I just picked up Rayman Legends and it's the best platformer I've ever played by a longshot. Gonna have to get Origins after I'm done with this... if I'm ever done with it...

vvvv Oh nice! I unlocked a couple of levels in the "Back to Origins" painting, but figured they'd only put in a handful of levels from it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 8, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just paid $27 for it and I'm not even mad. A game hasn't glued me to my couch this horribly since...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

kater posted:

Wait, is that why the Wii U eShop is so empty? I have to access the shop while within Wii mode or whatever? Are you loving joking?

It's probably because you are completely locked out of the Wii mode unless you own a Wiimote at the very least. I'd be upset if I bought a game that uses a d-pad and two buttons on the Wii U eShop for like 8 bucks, only to find out that I can't even start it unless I go buy a $40 controller.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Speaking of savings, just a friendly reminder that some/all of your Club Nintendo coins may not be expiring on June 30th, as the cycle is every two years. So, any coins earned after July 1st, 2013 will not expire, while any coins earned before then will. Just check your Account Status -> Coins & Rewards on the website if you're unsure.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Raserys posted:

It is Bloodborne but gently caress that, I'm calling it Bloodborn. TGS sounds like a really exciting event! :v:

I'm calling it Beast's Souls, because I never want to have to tell anybody that I'm looking forward to a game called Bloodborne.

gently caress, that's just as impossible to pronounce as Demon's Souls.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Crowbear posted:

There was some really neat stuff in that presentation. I'm bummed that X got delayed though, and the complete lack of any new SMTxFE news is kinda worrying.

Don't sweat it. The actual meat and bones of the presentation was only like a half hour (excluding the skits) and they didn't even really talk of the Star Fox project, nor the other two projects Miyamoto is working on (Project Somethingorother and Project Iforgetwhocares.) SMTxFE is basically "niche franchise cross niche franchise", and didn't really have any place in the cramped presentation where priority #1 was clearly selling more Wii U consoles. (Don't get me wrong, I like both SMT and FE quite a bit.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wild Knight posted:

Is that blood? How does a moon get blood on its teeth?

It's bottle rot.

iminay posted:

would it still be zelda if the main character isn't Link? interesting concept to ponder, kind of neat too be honest.

If the guy in the trailer really isn't Link (it's Link,) I'd sooner expect to see a double feature (along the lines of Link's wolf form in Twilight Princess) than a completely different lone protagonist in a Zelda game. Sounds like way too much of a gamble when this game is slated to be one of the few big guns that the Wii U desperately needs. Of course, canonically, each game's Link is supposed to be a different person, but I don't think anyone actually plays along with that.

axleblaze posted:

Skyward Sword was secretly tracking what everyone was naming Link so they could finally bring gamers the character they've been yearning to play: Assballs.

Don't forget his trusty steed, My Dick.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 11, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mortimer posted:

Nintendo sells refurbed Wii U's plus nintendoland for $200.

worth it? It even says on the page "YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED BY OUR HIGH REFURB STANDARDS" but that makes me distrust it even more.

I bought one and it was perfectly "brand new", packaging and all (except you don't get a retail box, rather, an OEM-looking box that says refurbished on it.) Not a single external sign that it had ever been touched by non-gloved hands. Nintendoland was also sealed and seemingly untouched.

It also should get you 160 Club Nintendo coins despite saying otherwise (worked automatically for me, YMMV.)

Beyond that, the only two differences are the discreet "refurbished" stickers on the backs of the gamepad and console, and the package doesn't come with the charging cradle and stand, which costs a whopping $6 or less.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 11, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rack posted:

Niiiiiice.

Water looks incredible. If there's one thing the Wii U is doing really right, it's water.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kaubocks posted:

I'm highly considering going entirely discless with the WiiU. Kind is dicey what with Nintendo's account system (by which I mean lack thereof) but it just seems like it would be so convenient. Haven't entirely decided yet.

The only thing that regularly turns me off about buying Nintendo games digitally is their superb resale value, especially the first party titles. That's something to consider!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just to be sure - your Wii U will need to be in your bedroom to do this. It sends everything to the pad on a second wifi connection and it's not powerful enough to go through walls.

It's a pity, I was hoping I could use it in my room that's directly above my lounge where the wii u lives, but I lose signal too often.

That's not entirely true! I play in bed often, but that's only about 12-14 feet away from the Wii U, and only through one wall. I haven't had a single problem.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

drat, too bad you have to buy a specific 2DS SKU/bundle from Walmart in order to get that $40 Walmart gift card. $70 off a 2DS would be an incredible deal. Walmart does accept competitor's coupons, don't they? It's a REAL long shot, but I wonder if they'd accept that one.

Alternatively, if you want to be a real scumbag along the likes of couponing mommies, you could probably buy one color 2DS from Best Buy with the coupon, not open it, and bring it to Walmart after "losing your receipt" to exchange it for a different color and maybe still get that $40 gift card?

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 11, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mortimer posted:

Only at participating stores :colbert: too bad the nearest one is an hour away.

Is the mario kart bundle even that good a deal? If a refurb console is $200 and MK8 is $60, that means you're getting another wiimote, a plastic wheel, and another game for $70. And they discounted WW HD, so if you don't want a plastic wheel and have a regular wii (to scavenge wiimotes from) I don't think it's such a good deal.

It's not a bad deal if you're opposed to getting the refurbished Wii U from Nintendo. You can get Mario Kart 8, the Mario Wiimote, and the wheel attachment for about $105 shipped from Amazon, putting the Poor Man's Mario Kart 8 Bundle at $305. The real bundle after tax comes to around $350, so you're essentially paying $45 more for a more attractive box that may or may not fetch you a better return if you decide to sell the lot in X years.

It's Mario Party 10 time on the Treehouse stream. Have any F-bombs been dropped yet? Any minute now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kaubocks posted:

I just did this last night. Create a new user, hook up your NNID, and then when it asks you to make a Mii you pick "choose existing Mii" and your 3DS Mii will be there. A little unintuitive and confusing, in my opinion.

I did this initially, and a few precautionary tips so you don't get "burned" like I did:

One, if you import your Mii from your 3DS (or Wii?) and decide to change its appearance on the Wii U, you will overwrite these changes the next time you open the eShop (or otherwise connect to Nintendo via your NNID) on your 3DS -- I guess it treats the 3DS Mii as the master copy since it originated on that system. Which leads to problem number 2...

I decided the "best" way to alleviate this was to create a new Mii on the Wii U and make it the new "Master Mii" for both systems (I don't know, I guess I felt the Mii Maker was more convenient with a 5" touchpad and 55" TV rather than the lovely 240p 3DS screens.) If you do this (you shouldn't, see below,) do not name this new Mii the exact same thing as the imported Mii, for perhaps more reasons than just the fact that Nintendoland won't seem to let you copy progress data to a Mii of the same name. That suggests that any other game that uses a Mii's name (and not the Mii itself) to store save data will do the same thing.

Of course, the best way to have gone about this would've been to just update the look of the "Master Mii" on the 3DS, gone online with it, and have it update on the Wii U automatically, but NOOOO. I've lost all of my Nintendoland progress, and there was a lot. :-(

TL;DR: if you import a Mii from one system to another to use as the main user's Mii, only make visual changes on the originating system or poo poo goes wrong.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

irlZaphod posted:

No, we have stars instead of coins, we don't get Platinum rewards or anything, and our catalogue is terrible.

We don't get the Digital Deluxe promo or the Virtual Console reward games either.

Well, the Platinum rewards aren't such a big deal. Last year it was a Zelda soundtrack or a set of 3 mid-sized posters. I guess the massive 8-bit Luigi poster was kinda cool, but otherwise, eh.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Crown Face posted:

I ordered a refurb last Friday because of how highly it's been praised in the thread, and I've been passing the time by buying games and accessories for a system I don't yet own and obsessively watching over my e-mail/order status to see when it's going to change from "submitted".

I haven't seen anyone mention much about a screen protector for the Wii U gamepad, which seems kind of strange compared to how often it's brought up in the 3DS thread. Is it just not as important as a 3DS protector because you're using it inside or is it just an unspoken rule that you should always have a screen protector for a touch screen thing?

Hori makes the officially licensed one, and it's around $6. I guess it's generally a good idea to pick one up. I use the touch screen on the Wii U about a billion times more often than I do the one on the 3DS (some games utilize it a lot,) and the fact that the screen is constantly exposed puts it at even greater risk for wear.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

thehacker0 posted:

I'm thinking of trading in my old ps3 and 3DS which i never play at gamestop and picking up a wii u for another ~150.

How old is your PS3? You should check if it has either hardware or software PS2 support. I hear those are worth extra, since Sony cut that out years ago. I don't know just how much extra it would fetch now that the system is 7 or 8 years old, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

thehacker0 posted:

I'll look into that, although it's not that old. Its a slim model, but not the newest version I don't think.

Oh okay, I think they stopped with the PS2 backwards compatibility before redesigning the console.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fly with me posted:

Looks like McDonald's is going to have some Mario Kart 8 toys in their Happy Meals.
Not right yet, as the How to Train your Dragon toys are still out, but sometime in the next few weeks.

Looks like I'm going to be having Happy Meals as lunch for a few weeks.

They'll sell you those toys separately without having to buy and potentially consume McDonald's food products. No clue what they charge, but I guess if it's like a dollar or less than the Happy Meal, you might as well just get the Happy Meal.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Have you tried swearing to God?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fremry posted:

Since that Target deal is coming up, I'm gonna get MK8, Super Mario 3D World, DKC tropical freeze, and use the MK8 code for NSMBros U. My favorite type of game is platformers, hence the choice of games. Anyone have a suggestion in what order to play the platformers?

Out of all of those platformers I'd probably play Rayman Legends first.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

i like tacos posted:

I just bought the Mario Kart 8 bundle and I got a free game to choose from and I don't know what to choose. I have never played Wind Waker or any of the Pikmin series and I never really completed Super Mario Bros Wii. I'll probably be playing alone so I don't really know which one to choose. Can you goons help me out?

Wind Waker is the best single player game of the lot. SMBU and Pikmin 3 aren't bad either, and I'd put them in that remaining order. I think you've got to have a knack for RTS games to really enjoy Pikmin. Against my better judgment (I generally dislike strategy games) I picked it up, and had a hard time getting into it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

K-Flow posted:

I've heard of the input lag on the gamepad when playing a virtual console game but my question is this: is there any input lag on an HDTV when you're playing a virtual console game?

Once upon a time I was super anal about any sort of input/display lag (music game dork,) and I don't feel like there's any sort of noticeable lag. I mean yea, you're likely playing on an LCD HDTV, so there's some lag there, with a wireless controller, which introduces more lag, but it's all negligible. Likely to the tune of a few milliseconds.

NOTE: only virtual console games I've played are Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros, and Super Castlevania IV. Haven't tried any of the Street Fighters, which I imagine would be the only games where lag could be an issue.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 22, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Definitely get Pushmo World. You play as Mallo, an anthropomorphic marshmallow dressed as a sumo wrestler. Your objective is to pull apart giant 8-bit structures that sometimes resemble things so you can climb to the top, several stories high, and rescue a little baby marshmallow that got stuck on top and immediately proceed to start tossing it in the air

It also has infinite replay value if you're really into puzzle games. You can create your own puzzles and download others' creations, and there's already a lot of really good ones (by good, I mean the illustration.)

I really wanna get Shovel Knight but $15 just sounds so steep for an indie game. I know that probably makes me sound really cheap, but I've spent like $350 this month on video game poo poo.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 26, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm kind of hoping the gold and platinum Club Nintendo rewards are really awesome this year, since you know Nintendo was looking like real dogshit around this time last year and high profile releases like Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon X/Y, Super Mario 3D World, and Mario Kart 8 turned two hurting systems around.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SyHopeful posted:

This is one of the very minor things that annoys me about Nintendo. The charging connectors for the 3DS XL and Gamepad are just different enough to be incompatible. Same for the stylus'. I wonder if they have a rationale for that.

Oh, even the stylus is different? I can't wait until I lose mine! Even the OG DS, DS Lite, and 3DS have slightly different stylus'. They did this poo poo on purpose. It's been the same drat thing for 10 years now, why bother changing it in manufacturing?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

bef posted:

If you go the refurbished route and don't mind having a wheel its actually cheaper to get the wii u + wii remote refurbished along with mk8. You also get Nintendoland on top of it. Saves around 60 bucks

And it's worth mentioning that Nintendoland is actually really cool if you're into kinda-mini games and/or collecting things.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bobnumerotres posted:

I wonder if Guacamelee will come out at midnight? Or would it release later in the day?

Most likely not; I think only first party games come out at midnight. Check later today. I'm on mobile so FU thread deal with the double post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Malt posted:

Someone in one of the PS threads was saying they removed most of the meme's in this edition. Shouldn't be an issue for people anymore.

Trolololol is still in there, but as far as meme's go, I haven't seen too much else. Then again, I'm pretty ignorant to most meme's, thank loving god. I'm about 3 hours in, and if this had been a 4chan fest of a game, I'd have probably stopped playing it.

• Locked thread