Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Alterian posted:

It looks like Jasper isn't growing as fast as he should be for a toddler. He's sort of almost plateaued out at around a year and a half and is now in the 10th percentile (He was in the 95th as an infant). I'm 5'8" and his dad is 6'5" so we're not short people. Anyone have experience with taking a child to an endocrinologist? The doctor said something about checking his bones to see if they're maturing too fast or something. I'm feeling slightly guilty it might have been something I did because I had to be on methimazole while I was pregnant and was slightly hypothyroid as well.

We were just there on Friday following up my son's most recent tests! A Bone Age Scan is super fast and easy - it's an x-ray of his hand and wrist. Those images are then compared to standard images - they are looking at the thickness of the growth plates. You get results back that say things like "Bone age: 7years, 7 months. Actual age: 7 years 3 months." There will probably be a battery of blood and urine tests as well just to get baselines for everything and make sure everything is within normal range. My kid also does DEXA scans (bone density imaging of the pelvis and hips), but that is because he has pre-existing hypercalcemia...or had it anyway, kids with Williams Syndrome pretty much all have it in infancy and grow out of it over time. She orders blood and urine every 6 months to his growth hormone levels, thyroid, calcium:creatinine ratio, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Alterian posted:

How long do the xrays take? Making any 2 year old sit still is difficult. He didn't freak out over his small blood draw to check his iron/lead or his shot but he had a full on tantrum about me holding him and his hand for a few minutes so he wouldn't mess with his band aid.

Like no time at all. Liam had one done as part of a study we went to, it was literally "Here, sit on my lap and stick your hand in here! We're done!" When we do them at Children's Hospital, it's in the regular radiology department so maybe...2 or 3 seconds between when they put the kid's hand down and when they press the GO button on the machine (they have 2 techs, one to position the kid and then take 2 steps back and the other who just sits in the booth and takes the pictures as soon as tech 1 steps back). We try to schedule them for when my husband or mom can be available to help because it works better to have them stand there with him and basically hold him still. I keep telling the techs I'm fuckin' DONE with babies but they still don't love it when I'm in there. I do recommend going somewhere that specializes in pediatric imaging, they're far more equipped to deal with the getting poo poo done FAST and fun and here's a sticker or twelve okay bye.

My kid has a lot of health issues so there are lots of visits for various specialties with weird testing. We practiced for this by playing games - like the FREEZE! game and the "I'm giving your arm a hug with this totally non-threatening blood pressure cuff that is totally for sure not trying to kill you, isn't it super silly!" game. It wasn't not so much role-playing the doctor visit as it was just making a game that we played in all different settings and circumstances, so when I asked him to do it at the doctor, he didn't realize was because Something Was Going On That Was Weird And Scary.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Sockmuppet posted:

Haha, don't worry, you'll get your turn, it'll happen whenever he starts a regular activity with other kids, be it daycare, kindergarten or school, and has to start building his immune system ;)

Yeah, it happens sooner or later. Last year at kindergarten pick-up time, you could tell which kids had been in daycare/preschool vs. which ones had stayed home with family until kindergarten started just by whether or not the moms were complaining about how much illness their kids brought home over the year. The ones who who had stayed home spent the whole year sick as hell, the ones who had already been trading germs for at least a year were bulletproof.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Where does this come from? I see lots of people reporting in this thread about having gotten it but I don't know a single person in my non-Internet circle of friends who has ever had it. Just wondering if there are environmental factors that are different where I live or something.

RSV is actually so common that most children have gotten it by the time they are 2. In healthy kids with no underlying health problems or prematurity, it can be written off as "the baby is sick". A mild case looks like a common cold. The environmental factor where you live may just be that the doctors don't use the term, they may simply say "oh, it's a virus it needs to run its course, go to the ER if the baby has trouble breathing."

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Some parents will just straight up let their kids get away with things like it's no big deal. I'm not entirely certain there's ever really one surefire way to do anything about it when it is affecting your kids, without pissing someone off along the line.

Agreed. Kids are kids, they all go through phases where they're the taker or the takee, the biter or the bitee. It's dealing with the parents that is a problem. In the situation in question, I'd just keep policing the situation. I wouldn't prevent the kid from taking the toy or instrument every single time, because my kid needs to learn that there's such a thing as taking turns and maybe his turn with this item is over right now, but when it becomes just the other kid only wanting things because other children have them, I'd tell them no, sorry, choose something different right now because it isn't your turn with this one yet. The other parent can be pissy all they want, they'll either get over it eventually or just quit the class because the other moms are *soooo mean* to their kid.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Sockmuppet posted:

So, my 20 month old only wants mum, i.e. me, when she's distressed, tired, sick, mad, or otherwise upset in any way, shape or form. She's been sick a lot these last couple of weeks, and since I'm a student and my husband works full time and in addition has been travelling for work a lot lately, she's had a lot of experience with me being the one to stay at home with her when she's sick, comfort her and tuck her in at night. Now he's back and she's better, but she still only wants mum. Thus I turn to you, wise people with older children - do we just indulge her as far as it's possible, and wait for this particular mummy-phase to pass on it's own, or do we push dad, even when she's wailing for mum? It's particularly bad at bedtime, and we had a little argument earlier because my husband insisted on putting her to bed because he thinks that if she keeps getting mum every time she wants, she'll grow used to it and keep demanding just mum, but I figure it's just a phase, and I'd much rather just do the putting to bed with a minimum of frustration all around.

It's a phase. Give it a while and it'll be all about Dad to the point where your feelings are hurt because you're never wanted. Then it will switch again. We just went with it because there wasn't any point in making everyone miserable with 30 extra minutes of screaming about bed/bath/whatever. It didn't break him, he's fine and happy and enjoys doing things with either or both parents, although I admit he prefers daddy to handle the bathing and to have mommy be the one who sings (but then I've heard my husband sing, I can't blame him for that one. And frankly Daddy seems to make bathing more fun than I do, I just don't really seem to have the knack for making it all fun and games).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I have a kid with special needs who has attended public school at least 2 days a week from the age of 3. He rode the bus for 3 years (the buses have seatbelts here - real ones, not just lapbelts, and he was forward facing in his carseat that was installed on the bus for him every day until he was 5). I drive him to school now and have for 2 years.

From a parent perspective, driving and picking him up is far superior for the purposes of communicating with his teacher. When he rode the bus, he missed out on a lot of things because it was something she mentioned in passing to the pickup parents but for some reason didn't get it into the note home (one year, we received a call from the school that there would be no halloween costumes allowed...which apparently didn't apply to the special ed 4 year olds but since the teacher didn't get it into the note home she threw in his backpack after quickly scratching it down while the kids were grabbing their coats, he was the only kid in his class not wearing a costume on halloween. I happened to be picking him up for a doctor appointment that day and boy does it feel lovely to walk into the classroom and see your kid is the one being left out). I have way better communication now, because I see the teacher every single day - I know all the stuff that isn't really important enough to write down but that makes up an important part of his day. I also get to meet other parents and feel a sort of sense of community within his class and his school - his classmates know me, their moms and some of their dads at least recognize me, I'm there in the mornings when the PTA is asking for help making photocopies and dropping off flyers to classrooms real quick, so I get more involvement in his school. It's nice to see the principal and have her actually smile and invite a group of us for coffee because she's got time and wants to just check in instead of only seeing her when I've requested a meeting because there's a problem.

Potty training him was a real mess with the bus ride too, we used to send him in underwear with a diaper under it for the bus ride and his teacher would diaper him before sending him home too because the bus doesn't stop for potty breaks. His school was 7.4 miles away. It was a 12 minute drive. The bus took 1 hour and 6 minutes....and he was by far not the first kid on or last kid off, there was no way I could expect him to hold it that long, and the driver can't leave the bus with a bunch of kids unattended to take a kid to pee, so suck it up and piss yourself was basically it.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a baby gate that our cats can get through? Looking at some with pet doors but it looks like they can be closed or something? Or should I just make my fatty cats jump to get through?

e: I"m looking at this one but it seems the door is pretty big. It'll probably be put up permanently between our dining room and living room to keep Colby penned up in the two rooms.

I know this is a couple of pages ago, but we had this gate because we had an elderly cat with mobility problems....I was looking through my old albums on facebook the other day and look what I found:

Based on the date of the photos, he was 3 years old. Babies are gonna go straight through it. (FWIW, the minigate DOES lock, so what we ended up doing was just locking it and putting a cat tree on each side so they could get over it but he couldn't.) To be fair, it was really nice that it was extra tall, so he couldn't just vault over it like every other gate on the market.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 28, 2015

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Jordan7hm posted:

First time I've posted in this thread, hope it's the right one for this...

Yesterday I got a phone call from a local public (French Catholic) school that operates on a Montessori model. They have a wait list, and 4 years ago I put my son on it. He's finishing up grade 1 right now, and it turns out they have grade 2 spots available. I have like 2 days to decide, because registration ends this week.

For some context of my son's situation:

6 years old with a later birthday (November)

Has language delays / possibly disorders that have been assessed by both a psychologist and speech pathologist. Is (finally) receiving support through the school board... This would continue at the new school. Has minor speech delays for which he is receiving support. Presumably this would continue as well. In his testing he scored very high on non-language based metrics (like 90-98th percentile).

Currently attends French school and speak French at his mom's house on weekends. Is totally bilingual, but that means he mixes the languages when he can't think of the appropriate word.

He's not doing great in school. They only recently figured out that he's not speaking only French because of language problems, rather than because of attitude problems. I'm still not sure his teacher really gets it.

I would massively appreciate any anecdotal information people have to share about Montessori schools. I'm meeting them Thursday and am like 90% sure it's worth a shot, but the more I can learn the better.

Also, given it's a Catholic school... Anyone have experience with how hard Canadian Catholic schools push the religion? His mom is technically Catholic but not exactly practicing.

I can't really speak to the Montessori issue or the Canadian Catholic Schools issue, but I do have a kid receiving special education services and therapies in a public school. It sounds to me like you aren't particularly happy with your son's situation as it stands. Is he currently in the local public school? If you were to pull him out of his current school and put him in the Montessori school only to later find that it wasn't working for him, would there be problems getting him back into his current (or another) school? I would definitely call the department of special education at your local school system and determine what services would look like in a private school setting - would the school board send a therapist to the Montessori school to provide his therapies, or would they send a bus to his school to pick him up and bring him to a public school where services would be provided and then take him back to his private school when therapy is over? If they opt for the transportation, how much of his educational time will be lost on a weekly basis to sitting on a bus? That's a real question, I know people whose children are bused from private school to public school for therapies and then back again, and it's more than 2 hours a week of instructional time lost.

My son spent a half a year in a less-than-ideal (i.e. super loving lovely) educational environment - the second half of kindergarten ended up being him just playing with toys in the special ed room with no effort to educate him at all as a result of staffing changes while I screamed bloody murder and eventually reported the school to the state for violations of his federally protected right to an education. It's demoralizing, to see your kid failing to succeed because people don't understand or don't care to learn his needs. In the end, we ended up transferring him to a different school in our local school system and having him repeat kindergarten. I'm so much happier with the situation he's in now, and it has nothing to do with funding or school location...it's all down to a teaching and support staff who go out of their way to do the best they can for him.

I guess what I'm saying is: Make sure you do your homework about what his services will look like, maybe talk to the administrators of the Montessori school to be clear they understand that your child has a speech issue and will require special consideration as a result. I don't know anything about special education law in Canada, but in the US I would tell you that if you aren't happy with how his schooling is going right now, you could call a new IEP meeting and change the plan (of course, based on my own experience I will also tell you that changing the IEP isn't necessarily going to *fix* anything, either...but it might. We were rather specifically dealing with a perfect storm of bullshit and staffing changes at that crappy school).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

sullat posted:

I have. It's the FAA recommendation, I believe. It is also a giant pain in the rear end. We just checked the drat things and let him squirm in his own seat.

I have also done it. We did longer flights, but it's functionally the same thing. The kid is old enough to require you to buy them a seat anyway, and you're going to need the carseat on the other end when you arrive. I figured we were better off installing it on the plane than checking it or gate-checking it and risking unknown damage to it in that process. The real pain in the rear end was carrying it through the airport for layovers, but it's doable (I brought a GoGoBabyz cart, you strap the carseat to it and it turns it into a "stroller"). Besides, my kid was still a squirmy bastard at that age, the carseat was familiar to him so he was less flail-y.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 8, 2015

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Hdip posted:

In the US we don't have that. I don't they they allow any straps on babies sitting in your lap during take off and landing.

Also, in the US anyway, once your kid hits 2 they can no longer fly as a lapchild and HAVE to be in their own seat. Younger than 2 they can be on your lap, but they're super weird about the kid not being *attached* to you at take off and landing, so if you're wearing them they make you take the kid out of the carrier for take-off/landing and just hold them in your arms. Which seems counter-intuitive to me, but then again I don't know what safety data they're working off (I assume they *are* working off studies...I hope they are!)

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 9, 2015

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

sullat posted:

Yeah, young kids are pretty cool about these sort of things. I worry about when they are older, though. Ahen conformity becomes the highest virtue.

I think this is pretty much the truth here. I'm the parent of a 1st (almost 2nd) grader with special needs (developmental disability - Williams Syndrome) and the feeling I get from the WS support groups for parents and caregivers is that antibullying practices are really helping at the elementary school level, and to some degree the high school level...maybe not across the board in high school, but it seems somewhat better. Middle school though, that's still seemingly a wasteland.

My kid is treated like a sort of...well liked younger brother by the kids in his class. I wouldn't say they treat him as an equal, I wouldn't even say they treat him as an actual friend (he wasn't invited to a single birthday party this year, and last year only 2 and I can't tell you how glad I am he's got a July birthday so we'll never have to deal with explaining to him why no one from his class wants to come to his party). But they treat him nicely, they baby him, they help keep him on task or remind him not to wander away when they're at recess or walking to the cafeteria. He's definitely not accepted as a true equal, but there's a sort of benevolence usually reserved for pets and babies. And it's sort of a common theme among the parents I see on the support groups in elementary school - our kids are treated well by their classmates, but it's still heartbreaking because it's quite obvious that our kids don't actually have FRIENDS. They treat him nicely when he's there, they don't even notice when he's not. The high school parents report a sort of split between social isolation (not a lot of bullying, just ignoring or isolation) and popularity along the lines of class pet. The middle school parents though? Good god, I don't even want to contemplate how bad middle school is going to be.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 5, 2015

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Sweet Gulch posted:

Doctor says our son has reflux or an ulcer. We have medicine to try out! There's light at the end of the tunnel!! :dance:

Keep in mind that there are multiple reflux medications that all work in slightly different ways so if the first one you try doesn't work, don't lose hope.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yeah, I can't either. They say not to rinse em, though. I'm not sure exactly how we're going to manage this.

We had a diaper service that also told us not to rinse. When I questioned them further it turned out that they did want us dumping the poo poo into the toilet, which in my son's case at the time meant I rinsed them with a sprayer because it was long before he was creating anything remotely solid and turd-like. They never said word one to me about my hosing the poop out. I think when they said "no rinsing", they meant to discourage people from doing wierdness with wet pails full of bleach-water. They wanted to control what cleaning products were used on their diapers.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

VorpalBunny posted:

He is over the moon with the idea of full time school, since he loves his current preschool stuff so much (even the homework), but I can't take him out for a random day at Disneyland or whatever without giving him a school absence and if we get too many we are stuck with the same punishment as everyone else (parent meetings to start). Trust me, I still plan on a few surprise adventures during the school year but I have to limit that kind of stuff and it makes me kind of sad.

It really depends on the school district, how strict they are about that. We're in San Diego Unified and they really don't give much of a poo poo as long as the absences are "excused" and not like 5-10 days in a row. By "excused" they mean "A parent or guardian is willing to call the school that morning and say said child has a cough/fever/something like that." You can't say "is sick", you have to give an actual symptom of something. No idea why. Mine's going into the second grade and I've kept him out for Disneyland trips in both kindergarten and 1st grade. I'm not taking him out of school for funsies on a regular basis, maybe twice a school year. Pretty much everyone is totally aware of the fact that he wasn't sick but it all gets a nudge nudge wink wink and no one gives a poo poo. This past year we kept him out for Disneyland when his grandmother was visiting from out of town and his Principal actually mentioned to me that she hoped he had fun "being sick" because she thinks spending time bonding with family is an important part of growing up a healthy well adjusted little person.

He's not missing enough to put him behind academically from where he needs to be and he's an incredibly healthy kid for the day-to-day. Last year he really only had 4 sick days - 2 were me faking it and 2 were for the day of and the day after his eye surgery. I'm also generally pretty careful to schedule doctor and dentist appointments either very early in the day so he can still go to school right after or as late as possible in the day so at most I'm only picking him up maybe 15 or 20 minutes early, which I think probably buys us a bit of grace because they are aware that he has really complicated underlying medical issues which require a lot of specialist visits to manage and he could very easily be missing 15 or 20 days a year if I weren't careful about scheduling.

As for homework in Kindergarten, I find that varies from teacher to teacher and school to school. In his kindergarten year, his teacher announced at Back To School night that the research just isn't there to prove that homework helps with anything and in her opinion it only served to cause stress and disrupt important family and activity time so she would not be assigning any homework but could we please read with our children/have them read to us as their reading improved for 20 minutes a night. My friend whose daughter was in Kindergarten in a different school in the same district had her kid coming home every Monday with a packet of 20 worksheets to complete by Friday, plus the reading, and often additional worksheets sent home daily because they hadn't completed them in class.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

sheri posted:

Our elementary school hours here are 9:05 to 3:35. Where starts at 7:30
D:

In San Diego, my kid goes from 7:45 to 2:10 4 days a week. On Wednesdays they have "minimum day" (i.e. the minimum federally required instructional minutes) as a budget saving measure, he goes from 7:45 to 12:05. They open the school gates at 7:30 for the kids who eat breakfast.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

photomikey posted:

Hi fellow San Diegan! These are exactly the hours I was thinking of when I wrote the last post! What school?

He goes to Foster Elementary (in Allied Gardens, across the freeway from SDSU).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

photomikey posted:

No, Hearst Elementary is across the freeway from SDSU. That's where we go. ;-)

Ok fine, it's at the Waring Rd exit off the 8, but no one who isn't from Allied Gardens knows where the hell it is and SDSU is the closest point of reference. Also hahaha, you live like within a mile or two of us. Our kids are going to go to middle and high school together.

In San Diego goon kid news, here's my kid with his Special Olympics Gymnastics team tonight on the field at halftime during the Chargers-Cowboys game. (he's the little one plugging his ears because apparently 70,000 people make a bit of a racket.)

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 14, 2015

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BonoMan posted:

Thanks for the reply! Another question.

Nora is allergic to cow's milk. She loves soy milk and the doctor told us he wants her off formula in the next two weeks and on milk full time. However everything I've ready online says that you should use calcium fortified soy milk because of the way the body doesn't absorb calcium from Soy milk as much as cow's milk.

But I can't find that poo poo anywhere. Only thing I can see is Silk and it's generic counterparts. The Silk has more calcium and fats than the generics, but I don't know if it has enough calcium. Anyone else with the same issue?

How old is she and why does he want her off formula? If it's just because it's his standard answer for "well, she's this old now and I want all kids this age off formula", that might not be a compelling enough reason. I would have a talk with him about your concerns and ask him for recommendations or a referral to a nutritionist.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BonoMan posted:

Thanks.. Yeah I think that's his reasoning. To be honest I didn't even question it. I just thought "ok guess its time for kids to be off formula?"

My son had a condition called hypercalcemia as an infant - his body just didn't process calcium the way everyone else's does, it just built up in his bloodstream to dangerously high levels. It caused him great pain and put him at risk of kidney damage. So he needed to be on a prescription formula with very low levels of calcium and NO vitamin D in it. His hypercalcemia resolved somewhere between age 2 and 2 1/2. As a result of his medical needs, all the rules about when to stop formula just went right out the window because really it was providing him with the nutrition he needed in a safe way and stopping formula just because the pediatrician normally recommends it between 12 and 18 months just didn't make sense. His pediatrician would give me all the little flyers he usually gave about all that poo poo and then would say "The HMO requires me to give you all this crap, please disregard these 9 out of 10 points on this paper, they do not apply for your son."

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BonoMan posted:

So apparently my 1 year old was "beating up all the kids" today at daycare. They were saying she's hitting all the kids when she falls and gets frustrated. And that her usual punching bag, Mae, wasn't there today so she took it out on the rest of the kids. And they gave her timeout every time she did it.

Which, you know, she's 1 so timeout does fuckall. And every single time I drop her off and take her out of her car seat and get her stuff ready Mae comes up laughing and giggling and gets in her face (which I don't care, I like it) and once I saw Nora sort of swat at her. But in an uncoordinated "I'm going to touch that thing in front of my face" way. Not a malicious hit or anything.

Which is what I am assuming she was doing with the other kids. Also they claimed that every time another kid got in trouble she'd point at them and go "ohhhhhhhh!" Like in a "na na na na" way.

But you know... she's loving one and points and grunts an "ohhhh" out at anything that gets her attention. Geez. I mean we've been doing a good job of telling her no lately as she starts to clearly be figuring things out, but I've never seen her get frustrated after a fall or even hit anything in any other way than a clumsy attempt to grasp it.

She's 1? It sounds to me like your daycare providers have zero loving clue what developmentally appropriate behavior is. They're ascribing far more advanced motives to her behavior than she's capable of at this point. And I personally would probably be pretty uncomfortable with continuing to take my kid to a place that is going to misinterpret behaviors that poorly and then assign judgment on the kids as a result. I mean, they're just deciding that she's not only a bully but also is taunting other children? That's loving crazy, and it WILL affect how they treat her.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

VorpalBunny posted:

A little background - I have 3 kids, the oldest is almost 5, and we just enrolled him in TK a month ago.

Over the past few days, my son has started acting out during lunch at elementary school. He's been in school for about 4 weeks, was really good for the first few weeks, and now this behavior is coming up later in his schoolday. The teacher pulled me aside today and said for the first few hours he is really well-behaved but by the time lunch and second recess rolls around (about 3 hours after school starts) he acts out.

Two days ago, he was roughhousing and fell off a bench and hit his head on the ground. He was sent home with a head injury report, which is protocol even if he really didn't hurt himself.
Yesterday, he was spitting on and at people.
Today, he was shoving kids to the ground in the cafeteria.

I am at a loss on how to discipline him, as this is all taking place at school away from my sight. He gets a "yellow bear" (down from a "green bear") for misbehaving, but he doesn't really seem to care about it. I try to bring consequences home with him, denying him stuff like crayons and markers or trips to playplaces and parks, and we even canceled a big weekend trip to Legoland because of his behavior in school today. But every time I talk to him about it, he says stuff like "I'll get a green bear tomorrow" or "Yeah, I know" but doesn't seem to really get it.

Do I just ride out the storm and hope my kid isn't turning into an rear end in a top hat? Any advice would be much appreciated. I am at the end of my rope, I feel like a failure as a parent, I really don't want my kid to grow up to be a class bully or something.

What's he eating for breakfast and lunch? Is he having a snack before lunch and if so, what is it? Maybe he's getting a bit protein deficient by that point in the day? The fastest way to turn my kid into a demon is to let him skimp on protein. Is the behavior continuing past the lunch/recess time into the afternoon classroom session, or is it only at lunch/recess? What does the cafeteria situation look like? My kid's lunch area is LOUD and chaotic and he's got issues with those things, so he does better when he gets to sit at a table that's not in the sound-tunnel (Southern California school, they eat at picnic tables outdoors with a roof on poles to keep the sun and *imaginary* rain off.) He sits in a particular spot at the outside corner so he's getting less echo off the roof, and with his back to most of the kids to minimize the sensory input that would send him right over the top into HELLNO land which is a recipe for crappy behavior for the next 30 minutes at least.

Also, less conversations about yellow bears and green bears, more conversations about what it feels like to be spit on and pushed to the ground. It's not about whether he gets a green bear, it's about whether he hurts his friends or makes them feel bad. And lots of conversations about constructive ways to show frustration - it's okay to be angry, everyone gets angry. How we deal with that anger is by doing XYZ.

He's 5, it's TK and it's all new and even though it can be really fun, I have to assume it's also all pretty big (and maybe a little scary) changes. Was he in daycare previously or is this all new to him? Going from nothing to a full day of school has to be kind of a big deal, a bit of lashing out isn't entirely outside the bounds of imagination.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I just want to mention that my kid has special needs. As part of his annual IEP meeting every year, a teacher from the grade he will be going into is part of the team. That teacher is there to weigh in as to what the standards and expectations are for the kids in that grade. I remember when he was transitioning into Kindergarten and we were talking about his ability to attend to tasks for extended periods of time. Well, with my kid, we actually have numbers. If he's got a goal for it, there are metrics involved. There is *someone* measuring and writing down timing and successes and failures, etc. So we were sitting there writing this goal for him to sit and attend at something like circle time...and we decided that since he could currently sit for 10 minutes in circle time, providing that circle time included a few instances of either music or some sort of call-and-response activity to keep him engaged, we wanted to write that goal for 15 minutes. The general ed kindergarten teacher's input was: "I can't even tell you how thrilled I would be to get the *typically developed* kids in my class to sit in one activity for 10 minutes...If he can do that already, he's way ahead of the game."

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

greatn posted:

My kid is 2.5 now and he is doing a lot of hitting and shoving and attempted biting at daycare.

We've tried talking about it and he can answer questions like "When you hit your friend does that make them happy or sad?" "Sad." "Do you want them to be sad?" "No." "Do you want them to be happy?" "Yes." "Are you going to hit?" "I'm not going to hit anymore".

He is doing a really good job of at least simulating that he understands it, buy he is getting multiple incidents a day and I can tell the teachers are judging us. We are never violent, we don't even let him watch Super Mario Bros any more because he started making his toys jump on things and shout " let's a go!" and hit. Told him Mario doesn't hit and he corrected "Mario hit those animals".

So basically we are trying to show no media at all that has violence. And talk with him about it. But we don't see him doing it at school, so it's really hard to try and correct, we aren't there.

I think he's in too young of a class and needs to move up. He went from being the youngest to being the oldest because that class got crowded and they moved everyone but him up to the next room, so he's the biggest and already knows everything they're going over.

His school manages it by separating him and talking to him and reading him " hands are for helping " which seems reasonable. We just don't know what to do because he doesn't do this kind of acting out at home. When he has an episode at home he just does the standard toddler flop on the ground and whine.

How can we help correct something he's only doing when we aren't there?

Sounds like he needs an alternative behavior introduced. He KNOWS he's not supposed to hit, he KNOWS it hurts the other kid's feelings. He doesn't WANT to hurt the other kid's feelings, but he's loving pissed and he just wants to hit something. I get that, sometimes i'd like nothing better than to break my knuckles on whatever it is that's pissing me off. But that's not generally acceptable or nice so I don't do it, I redirect my anger to something less destructive. He's 2.5, he doesn't yet have the tools to express his anger or frustration in a constructive way. Sit down with mom, dad, and teachers and decide what a constructive response would look like, then any time he's in the hitting mood, redirect him into that behavior. Something like "Hey, I know you're mad and it's okay to be mad. Everybody gets mad sometimes. But it's not okay to hit our friends. When I get REALLY mad, sometimes it helps me to hit this cushion, like this!" Demonstrate being frustrated yourself and taking it out on the cushion, direct him to the cushion.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

VorpalBunny posted:

My 19-month old is stuffing his face, and even when I know he's full he is still screaming for more food. He is burping up food and then screams for more. This is like a reverse-Seven gluttony scene, and I am fascinated to see how far he will push this. I won't, for obvious reasons, but man this kid is insatiable!

He's my foster kid, which makes me wonder how much of this is genetic and how much is environment. We restrict eating here to 3 main meals and a few group snacks throughout the day. No one grazes (except me :laugh:) and everyone eats relatively healthy food (string cheese, fruits, lean meats, bacon & eggs for breakfast, etc). This kid clearly craves crap above anything else, and we've had him since birth so he's not being raised any different. It will be interesting to see how his appetite develops.

Has he been evaluated for Prader-Willi?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

WTF BEES posted:

Anybody have any tips on keeping a diaper on a close to 40 pound 17 month old? He's figured out how to take them off himself, and this morning he was in his crib, everything covered in poop. The only thing we can come up with is just keeping pants on him at all times.

Keep pants on him. Buy a stretchy diaper cover - G-diapers make ones that are like stretchy-ish tshirt material and they velcro closed - behind the kid's back. For a (very short) while, putting one of those on over his disposable worked for my son. Try duct tape in a t-shape over the tabs - one strip going down from waist toward crotch, one strip across. Footed pajamas on backwards (cut the feet off). If all that fails: http://littlekeepersleeper.com/
My kid was a goddamn poo poo Houdini. He COULD NOT be stopped. poo poo smearing every night, every nap. No matter what, if I put him down for sleep, I was going to be doing laundry and quite possibly scrubbing walls. Even footed pajamas on backwards he could beat - he'd either snake his arm up the leg of them or he'd pull his arms in and then climb out the neckhole. It was insane. (And no, he was not developmentally anywhere near ready for potty training, he just had sensory issues and *needed* to play in it). The Little Keeper Sleepers are amazing, he never once escaped or got into his diaper. Not once. Worth every drat penny. If you or anyone you know sews, I actually recommend buying the footless version and sewing socks to the ankle cuffs (if necessary, see aforementioned snaking of the arm up the leg of the pajamas), they're easier to replace than the feet on the footed version when your kid wears through them.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Hdip posted:

Side question. Has anyone used those vests in place of a carseat? Now that my older one is 3 we're getting into the range where he could use those on trips instead of taking a car seat.

I have a vest! Love it for travel. It's great to take on plane trips (not to wear on the plane, FAA guidelines doesn't allow them) because then I don't have to worry about a car seat at the other end. I threw it in the trunk on a recent road trip to visit friends because I knew once we got there, we'd be going places in her car and she already had 2 carseats in the back with no room for a third but plenty of room for my kid to be in the middle in the vest. It's also great for keeping in my trunk in case of unexpected small passengers. I wouldn't want to use it as a primary, it's definitely a "for travel and emergencies" kind of thing for us but it really has been great. Safety-wise, testing shows it to be somewhere between a 5pt harness and a highback booster in an accident.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BonoMan posted:

I have a good friend whose wife is about to deliver today at 33 weeks. We were planning a shower but will instead turn it into a more of a gift/necessity gathering event than a traditional shower (while baby and family are at hospital).

For any folks that went through something similar, what are some things (besides preemie clothes and diapers) that, looking back, would have been great to have during such a time?

Hey, I had a preemie! And a shower when he was 2 weeks old in NICU. Breast pump, pumping supplies (like bags for the milk), ointments, all the standard baby equipment - but most importantly, having someone put it together for you so you can spend your time with the baby at the hospital instead of at home putting together a crib and swing. If it looks like the baby will spend more than a few nights in the hospital: a small cooler (like 6-pack size) and some cold packs so she can transport pumped milk to the NICU. A sterilizer or sterilizing microwave bags. My baby was in NICU for a month and NEVER took the breast, so I was an exclusive pumper for 5 months. I was also a goddamn holstein, so the best "baby" thing we got was a small chest freezer for the garage to keep milk in, which is still in use now although not for milk. Laundry rota so in the event that the baby spends a while in the NICU, all they have to worry about is coming home to shower and sleep and change into clean clothes before heading back to the hospital. Gas cards, possibly gift certificates to the hospital cafeteria or coffee cart or whatever is near, particularly if the hospital is a distance from their house.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Chicco nextfit says rear facing limits are 40 lbs. So, no. It's not at all narrow front to back either. In anything other than a SUV you can't even position it the maximum suggested vertical range for rear facing because the seat literally prevents the carseat from being another 5 degrees or so vertically.

I say this having a chicco nextfit and a passenger car with latch (vw jetta). Forester isn't that different in rear passenger space whether it's a passenger car or small suv (depending on the year of the model).

Remember to watch your combined weight limits on that LATCH install. Combined weight of kid + seat should not exceed 65lbs, which means that basically the current recommendation is once your kid hits about 35lbs, it's time to switch over to a seatbelt install.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

greatn posted:

What is bad about it for teeth exactly? Biting on the plastic?

There are positional problems, due to the fact that they don't spill, a lot of kids tend to continue drinking from sippy cups as if they were bottles, i.e. laying way back . This can displace the tongue, which then pushes teeth out. Children's palates are really malleable and over time, it can permanently change the tooth placement. Also, sippy cups are super lovely for muscle tone which can lead to speech problems.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

1up posted:

My daughter is almost 17 months and still doesn't understand "don't eat the art supplies" so I make paint out of plain greek yogurt and kool aid. Can't really hang up finished projects for display, but she doesn't give a poo poo so it works.

Vanilla pudding with food coloring. Colored sugar (like for decorating cookies) as glitter.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Farquar posted:

One activity I'd never heard of until our daycare did it, was playing with shaving cream. They just spray a big pile of shaving cream on the table and let the kids go nuts in it. When they're done, it just wipes away with a towel and doesn't leave a mess.

http://www.simplefunforkids.com/shaving-cream-on-window.html/

Shaving cream also goes far in learning that we don't eat art supplies, because it tastes like poo poo.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Kitiara posted:

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the sandwich thing was weird. I am fully aware that I'm being slightly hormonal about it, but it just felt like they were being too much. Marshmallows I totally understand, the moment I got to work I got all "what was I thinking?" to myself and just hoped they'd understand that it was a one time thing.

I think I may do this, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was worth bringing it up, but considering that at least half of her diet is fruit I would like them to prioritise the dairy a bit more. I just don't want to be one of those overbearing parents. Also, I really struggle speaking to them. I'm a very shy person and the times I've tried to speak to the teachers they just ignore me and do their own thing. Like I thought of saying a quick "thanks for all your work", "how's anastasia going?" or "I like your program", nothing too important to pull them aside, but yeah. I guess I'll just need to woman up!

Yeah, I'd go in and tell them that she is a fruit monster and you have a hard time getting protein in her so you'd really prefer she be allowed to eat her lunch in any order she chooses (particularly if it's sandwich first). I can understand them wanting you to send healthy food instead of candy but if all the food is acceptable, micromanaging the order in which it is consumed seems weird as hell.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

hooah posted:

Wall o' sleep questions incoming. My wife and I have been co-sleeping with our 6.5-month-old initially out of necessity (she wouldn't fall asleep out of our arms and wouldn't last long elsewhere once asleep), and have mostly continued out of laziness/being busy. I'll have a free week soon after graduation and would like to do sleep training then, but we have some questions first:

1) We have Brown and Fields's "Baby 411" book, which has been quite helpful in general. It states that based on Dr. Brown's 20 years of experience, at least 75% of healthy 5-month-olds can fall asleep on their own and all healthy 6-month-olds can. Is there any evidence to back up that claim?

2) Is there any way to tell if a baby is/isn't ready to fall asleep on her own yet?

3) My wife is vehemently opposed to anything like crying it out. Are there any other methods that work quickly (a week or less) and don't involve crying?

For some more context, we have a nighttime ritual: bathing every other night, then get her lotioned (eczema/yeast in the crannies) and maybe read her a story if she's not feeling fussy, so maybe every third night.

Pick up "No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley and give it a read. There are things you can start doing now to increase her readiness (as in, getting a stronger ritual so she can learn the cues). Honestly, your bedtime ritual isn't consistent enough. I'm assuming she gets lotioned every night but aside from that, her baths and stories aren't consistent enough to be part of HER cues. I'm not saying you need to bathe her every night (I never bathed my kid nightly), just that you need to understand that if it isn't every night, it's not ritual. Create ritual: rocking, singing, read a book, whatever things you chose to do, do them EVERY NIGHT.

NO Cry Sleep Solution isn't an instant fix, you're not gonna have a magic go-to-bed kid in 3 days or fewer, but it also isn't like it's a months-long process of sleeplessness and horror.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay, some advice on changing behaviour for my 15 month old please.

He has become quite the climber, which isn't surprising considering how early he started. He can get up most anything, but thankfully has shown no real interest in the majority of things we'd rather not rather have him climbing at this point, and we've reduced interest on most of the others by clearing floor-visible "want" items.

But he's decided he's going to make it his mission now to climb onto my desk, and I'm not really sure what to do to prevent it. I can't remove the computer stuff, esp the monitor, to any place more secure than where it is right now. I've been saying "no" and putting him in the hallway behind the baby gate where he cries for a couple minutes before I let him back in, but half the time he goes right back to the desk and we repeat it. I was originally putting him in his crib, but my wife pointed out we didn't want to associate it with punishment.

Will this eventually work? Should I be doing something else? Maybe get a spray bottle, hah

It WILL eventually work. (The problem is how long the "eventually" lasts. But it will work). Be consistent. You might consider giving him an appropriate alternative. Clear out some space *somewhere* and give him something he is allowed to climb and redirect him to that every time he starts climbing inappropriately. It's often easier to redirect the behavior than to exterminate it entirely.
My kid was a climber. He's got special needs and the climbing was essentially a sensory seeking behavior. It was far easier to get him to climb an appropriate thing than it was to stop the climbing entirely - because he was still getting what he felt he needed, just in a way that wasn't dangerous (he was a fan of the top of the dining room table and, my personal favorite: using bookshelves as ladders to the point where I once caught him dangling by his fingertips from the top shelf of a 7 foot bookshelf in the time it took me to take a piss).

Also while you're at it: ensure all furniture is anchored to the wall.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Hi_Bears posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for (free) resources on teaching sign language to your baby? It's very appealing to be able to communicate with baby months before he can start speaking. Any personal anecdotes or advice would be great too!

Baby Signing Time videos are like baby crack. Try the library!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

KingColliwog posted:

Our 8 months old started doing the same. We decided it was either separation anxiety or teething.

Here we give ourselves 48 hours with opened food. My girlfriend is a nutritionist so I like to think she made an educated decision on that subject. (but mostly it's for convenience and we don't believe anything bad can really happen to food in 48 hours in a fridge.

We did the same, about 48hrs in the fridge. However, don't feed out of the jars. You want to put food into a bowl and eat from that. Much like with formula/bottled breastmilk, you don't want to introduce the enzymes in saliva into the food via spoon transfer. So we dished it out of the jars into bowls, jars went into the fridge for up to 2 days. Food in the bowl that we actually fed from, we tossed if he didn't finish which wasn't usually all that much because we'd only put about a tablespoon at a time in there when he was new and as he grew we already had a decent idea of how much food he'd eat at a sitting.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

rgocs posted:

Yeah, I listed mostly the things she eats on a regular basis. But we give her some of whatever we're eating. She gets cutely angry if she sees us eating something and doesn't get a bit of it.

If we ever do the glycerine suppository it sounds like I'll have to prepare the room a la Dexter.

Maybe consider cutting the oatmeal for a while? My kid couldn't eat any cereal type things until he was like 2, it was like instant constipation every time.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

My 5 year old has started wetting the bed pretty much every night. He's been dry for years and would have the occasional accident (maybe once a month) which was fine and we'd tell him that was fine and accidents happen but my god it is hard to keep that up when you're on your twentieth bed change in 3 weeks. I know there's absolutely no point being upset with him or telling him off but stripping beds and scrubbing mattresses in the middle of the night, or having a wriggly little monkey in bed is not conducive to a good nights sleep.

I don't know what's caused the change. It's the holidays so I am confident there hasn't been any traumatic event, but then maybe it might just be the change in routine. We're limiting drinks and making sure he goes to the toilet before he goes to sleep. We could start lifting him again but that doesn't feel very helpful in the long run.

I might be late on this one, but has he seen a doctor for possible constipation? A couple of months ago, my kid started having accidents out of the blue after years of doing great. For lack of any other ideas, I took him to the doctor to look at maybe a UTI. The doc immediately went "He's constipated". I told the doc it simply wasn't possible because he was totally pooing normally. Sent us for an xray and sure enough: he was totally full of poo poo. He was pooing, but he was never actually emptying his bowels and the pressure of the poo was preventing him from actually emptying his bladder effectively as well, so he was having accidents because his bladder was always full and couldn't empty. A couple of days of Miralax for a good cleanout and he was right as rain, no more accidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BoyBlunder posted:

My wife and I like to put our daughter (2.5yr) down at around 20:00 for bed. However, she doesn't fall asleep until 21:30, usually. She's pretty quiet in bed, but she just tosses and turns.

Should we be concerned about this? I understand that she might not be tired, but I think a solid bedtime routine is important.

FWIW, she sleeps through the night, and we often need to wake her up at 8:30/9:00ish for morning activities.

My kid is 9 and still does this. I've tried adjusting the bedtime later to match up with when he actually goes to sleep, turns out he just stays awake for another hour and a half. He just needs that time to cool down and get ready for sleep. He doesn't seem unhappy, he just kind of plays quietly or dicks around by himself in there until he goes to sleep. I figure it's just kind of his personal sleep routine, my brother is the same - no matter how tired he is, he's just gotta lay there for an hour or so before he can actually sleep. As long as the lights are off and he's not making TOO much noise, I just leave him be.