Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Thats amazing. I haven't seen AGE but I really just assumed destiny was the series hitting its rock bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Whizbang posted:

Wing is the best because it has flamethrowers and flapping wings in space.

With feathers.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

DeathByDoubleDip posted:

After finding this thread and quickly backtracking, I was starting to wonder if I was the only person who wanted all of the Gundam Meisters in 00 to die.

Yes. All of them.

Come on, you know their identical twins would just show up to replace them anyway.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I still can't believe that an entire page talking about seed's voodoo explosion-resistance went by and no one mentioned Mu exploding into nothing but a shattered helmet floating through space -Just kidding guys, he's totally back for the sequel! That was the precise "you can't be loving serious" moment for me in destiny.

edit: Ok, maybe this guy

Clever Spambot posted:

Explosions dont work the same way in gundam SEED as they do in real life, they are more like portals that teleport you exactly where you need to be. That or they kill you, depending on how important to the plot you are.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Man, you know they seriously overused stock footage when someone says "disco dance machine gun" and you know exactly what they mean.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

wfwon posted:

All I remember is the Leos' weapon couldn't even penetrate the md's defense field. So for most part of the major battles, those Leos are more or less acting as cannon fodder.

They got upgraded for space and new paint job/weapons if I remember right. Being purple makes them able to compete.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 23, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Those are a lot of soda cans. Trowa must be really thirsty.

Disco works up quite a thirst

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Are there ever any good deals on 1/100 gundam models? I remember a long time ago I was able to score a zaku and rx-78-2 for like $12 each, but since then the cheapest I ever see them are $30-100, which is a bit outside of what I'm willing to pay.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

0083 should have the subtitle of: "Nina Purpleton ruins everything"

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

mr. stefan posted:

Also nukes are paradoxially much harder to acquire than one of the several abandoned/semi-destroyed colonies left around after the OYW.

I like to imagine that the federation practically gives them away after watching CCA. "Ok guys, if you give me a giant space rock, I promise not to drop any giant space rocks on earth. Do we have a deal?" "Sounds legit."

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Monaghan posted:

When it annoys me is when it serves no purpose but to give the main character a power up. thee seed mode and the x-rounders were pretty bad examples of this, as they didn't matter at all in the overall story.

Did we ever find out what seed mode was? I just remember now and then their eyes got intense and then you know poo poo just got real. Did they even acknowledge that it was a thing, or what?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

"Seven six two millimeter. FULL METAL JACKET"

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I think Judeau was a good character, but didn't belong in a story where people were expecting "Zeta gundam 2". The whole tone change was just jarring and irritating for me, and I knew from the first episode where bright was wrangling chickens and Yazan was acting like a 3 stooges character that I wasn't going to like it.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

When CCA started, amuro was in a Re-gz, which as I understand it was basically a shittier, watered down, prototype mass produced zeta gundam with no biosensor and gimped waverider mode. Char was holding back on hium, but I would have loved to see Amuro rock a full fledged zeta.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Wow, blu ray prices for gundam are dumb. I was hoping to pick up a few series now that I have some disposable income, but I guess bandai USA shut down production? Is there any chance of blu ray releases later on down the line, or is this basically a collectors market now.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Viola the Mad posted:

Did he actually say that? I don't remember anything along those lines, but it's completely believable.

I think when he gives it to Heero, he says that it's a suit built for dueling.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I think my favorite thing about Tallgeese is how no-frills it was. It's just like, "Ok, Give it a dober gun, a beamsaber, a shield...Now throw on a vernier booster so fast it'll most likely kill it's pilot."

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

God damnit, I'm going to have to buy a MG Tallgeese now.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

This reminds me: What is the point of the laser-fence they constructed around earth? It doesn't even look like a very good fence.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Begemot posted:

I assumed they were metaphorical giant laser boxing ropes until the episode where Domon had to bounce off of them to get to the final tournament in time.

wow, I think I missed that episode, somehow. It's been over a decade since I saw G-gundam, but somehow I didn't make that super-obvious connection. Yet another thing that makes G-gundam amazing.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

TK-31 posted:

Guys I have it they never intended Age to be good, they wanted to unite a fragmented fanbase and give it a common enemy they could all hate. Now it doesn't matter which Gundam show you think is the best, we can all agree that Age is the worst.

But we already had that, it was gundam seed destiny.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

This is hilarious, I'm betting even the writers forgot, because the best way to describe why SEED's plot is so strange is "they wrote each episode without thinking about how it looks as a whole"

Yeah, I think I remember it being one of the prime motivations of the smug earth hate-monger dudes. Like, earth lost massive amounts of people and crops when their power basically got knocked out to the stone age after the N-jammers went in. I still remember the stupid montage of a guy bleeding against a wall that they showed a million times for the valentines day massacre, but they mentioned the earth situation like twice. Maybe because it wasn't outright violent? It's too bad, because it would have been far more interesting to spend some time trying to tackle the consequences of war on the populace as a whole, instead of focusing on a bunch of teenage drama-babies.

e: then again, it's gundam. I don't really have those expectations anymore. In Zeta gundam when they went to the gassed colony, that was pretty creepy to me when I first saw it. I don't really think SEED cared for much outside of the blunt and visceral imagery and just put it on repeat.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 4, 2013

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

It kind of is. It's not outright bad like Destiny or AGE, but there's an abrupt tone shift (I can seriously name the exact moment the show went from a comedy to standard Gundam), the plot drags on, the characters show very muted reactions to death, and CCA's announcement gutted its ending. It has its good moments for sure (it really picks up near the end), but there's a whole lot of mediocre/bad to sift through.

I think the exact moment I stopped thinking "this show is unwatchable" was during the desert arc around episode 25. The lowest lows were definitely early-show shenanigans and moon-moon, but I feel like most of the show was just completely unmemorable. All in all I think ZZ was pretty mediocre/bad with a few moments of cool thrown in, like you said. It was really hard to go into coming off of Zeta, especially seeing Bright and Yazan turned into clowns after how much of a down note zeta ended on.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Haha, you should've stuck it out. I'd say the best part of the show starts towards the end of the desert arc and lasts until they go back to space.

Oh, I did. I meant that's the point where I thought it became decent.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Speaking of earth, what happened to it between unicorn and V gundam? V is the only UC series I haven't seen (Only 15 episodes or so) and it almost seemed to me like earth was messed up pretty badly. From what I saw, I remember lots of overgrown scenery and the earth federation seemed to have no real power. Was there some sort of natural catastrophe, or just the eventual shift in power to space as earth gradually lost its influence?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

I hope the character roster gets so bloated in time that I'll eventually be able to play as Zech's assistant Otto, from Gundam Wing. For most of the game you play as him in a Leo, but if you want :siren:CHALLENGE MODE:siren: you can pilot a Tallgeese and play an entire level with 1 HP. Poor Otto.:smith:

Entire Katz and Hathaway campaigns.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I always just thought the giant bird wings was because it was gundam "wing" and EW just amped up the theme of the original suits to high degrees.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I think it's some sort of a weird japan thing in games and anime. Lets talk about pacifism all the loving time while we're fighting each other. LETS FIGHTING LOOOOVE.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 2, 2014

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

The UC OVAs were very hit or miss with me.

0080 had a nice condensed story, but something about the kid bugged the ever-living poo poo out of me. Maybe the voice acting? Every time I think of 0080 the first thing that comes to mind is this shrill "BERNIEEEEE BERNIEEEE!" that makes me not want to rewatch it.

0083 was "Hey, there are a few cool fights." Followed by "God Nina is the worst character ever."

08th MS team is, "The gouf custom verses the 08th MS team, featuring some cringeworthy romance." I think I liked 08th MS team best because it had cool grunt suit stuff like Shiro in the ball and the ghetto repairs they have to make on the units.

It's kind of a shame that they can all be boiled down to, "If only it wasn't full of awful stuff like characters and plot."

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 10, 2014

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

The real gundam enemies are adults.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I watched Stardust Memory because I heard it was a lead-in to Zeta. I know some people said no it wasn't but I just figured they wee haters. But if this thing DOES in fact lead into Zeta, I have no idea how. By the end of the anime, I didn't even know what the gently caress was going on. Granted, I kinda tuned out for the last five episodes and just fiddled around on Google and other things while listening to the episodes here and there but I just don't get it. The Federation were working with Cima the whole time? Why? Why the gently caress did they sacrifice a 1/3-2/3rd of their fleet? What was the loving point of the whole thing?

Iirc, the federation basically gets hijacked by a Junta after the delaz fleet fiasco, after which, the schemers waiting in the wings all scrambled to take power from a corrupt and inept federation government. Think of it as the gundam equivilent of "9/11 was an inside job!" and an excuse for them to militarize.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 12, 2014

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Yeah, the nice thing about Amuro is that he wasn't always the same. In MSG he's kind of an unlikable brat at times, in Zeta he's a tinfoil hat, and by CCA he's grown up and pretty cool. He's not the sort of character who developed all in the span of 2-3 months. He had a pretty long run and changed a bit over the years.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Stop killing everybody! I actually liked these characters!

You just got Tomino'd :smug:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Erd posted:

I don't know where Moon Moon gets its 'comedy' pedigree from. Moon Moon largely played its 'outsiders who have abandoned technology' plots straight. Sure the Argama and Endra crews arrive with their wacky hijinx, but that stuff has been going in since the first episode.

I don't know, I think it just falls under the umbrella of "We never asked for this". It's like, does anyone really want to see people living on a space colony who for whatever reason decided to give up technology and literally chuck spears at mobile suits and ambush spaceships with space ninjas :psyduck:? What the hell, no. Just like we didn't want to see Yazan comedy relief shenanigans. Most of us just wanted more zeta gundam.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I kind of took it as "Humanity will weaponize all of our greatest hopes for the future" sort of a thing. Kind of like the limitless possibilities of the internet were realized and sparked our imagination about what the future held, and then we just used it to call people mean names and post pictures of cats.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

My guess would be that "cyber" was probably slung around a lot more loosely and just slapped onto anything that referred to computers and human technology back in the 80s.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I mainly know about this from reading UC vs. CE threads elsewhere where UC fans adamantly refused to admit Coordinators were like Newtypes or something. Maybe they were just bitching.

I think that comes from the "newtype flash" that appears randomly on some characters, both regular and coordinator.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

3. So I've met Cagalli, the lady who was voted the #1 female character of the 2000s by Newtype magazine. I gotta admit, compared to her competition, she is kinda likable.

Don't watch destiny.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 21, 2014

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

It only matters if someone likes to play the piano. Prepare for peak Rau. The best Rau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Man, if you're starting to feel burnt out on gundam, watching destiny is a really bad idea.

• Locked thread