Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which show has the most (current or future) jobbers wrestling on it?
This poll is closed.
WWE NXT 62 16.36%
WWE Superstars 75 19.79%
WWE Saturday Morning Slam - lmao this thread is old 24 6.33%
WWE Main Event 22 5.80%
Impact Wrestling 196 51.72%
Total: 379 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NeoNaoNeo posted:

Michael Cole is terrible

You could've stopped there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I recently watched some Seth Rollins matches where he does hilarious solo hardcore pit dances during his entrance, and I can't help but wish he'd do that during Shield entrances. Just whipping elbows and fists around, smacking kids on the aisles in the face as he's windmilling his arms and picking up change.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This is amazing and I can't believe I missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nya6g8A357E

I already think Fandango is hilarious, but this really makes me want to go back and watch Curtis's NXT run.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Just like you member what Maven did at the Royal Rumble :v:
Hey, *I* remember: Maven never got eliminated, and is technically still IN the Rumble. :colbert:

Chinston Wurchill posted:

"Let's Get Weird" Johnny Curtis was one of my favourite things of 2012.

Considering they actually sort of listen to the fans nowadays, "Let's get weird" wouldn't be a bad thing to chant during Fandango matches. Let's make it happen.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think they're pulling a reverse-Fandango, if I can coin a phrase.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Bo Dallas is terrible at everything. Bray Wyatt on the other hand, is awesome at everything. Yet Bo Dallas gets the Rumble appearance. WWE in a nutshell.

I really hope that if Bray Wyatt gets called back up, he gets to maintain everything about his gimmick. The entrance, the cult leader persona, the subtle things like singing "Time is On My Side" when he has someone in a rest hold, everything. I just really hope they never refer to him on-air as Husky Harris, and I also highly doubt he'll be bringing The Family with him, especially since if Rowan gets called up they'll probably just give him a Viking gimmick.

[edit]\/\/\/Fair enough.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 15, 2013

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The thing is, if they debut him in WWE and keep the gimmick, they really don't even have to film new promos. His debut segments still completely set the tone for his character:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqz-3B-Uzc8&t=16m08s (promo @ 16m, match @ 22m)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmtvjQ_LaDA

And that Mark Crozer song is perfect for him. :allears: I'll be sad if they can't keep using that due to licensing (FCW/NXT seems to use copyrighted entrance themes a lot). I could actually see Kane's character really buying into the Family. I mean, the dude wears a dead skin mask. What's he doing being goofy and hugging out his problems?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I Before E posted:

Yeah, I wish I got the CW so I could watch it as it was meant to be seen: with constant advertisements for action figures and sugary cereal.

I know, it's just like the 80s. They should do the Old School set for every SMS.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 2, 2013

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

April 3, 2013

Bo Dallas & Adrian Neville vs. Wyatt Family

Bwahahaha, I love the immediate "Tag in Neville" chants when Bo enters the ring.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Keeping Big E's song from NXT gives me hope that they'll keep Bray Wyatt's song too, even though it's not a Johnston original. Mark Crozer mentions Bray Wyatt on his website, so it's possible they have a long standing deal for the rights like they did with the old Hardy Boyz theme.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Bard Maddox posted:

Punk had already been on the roster for three years and had been a three-time World Heavyweight Champion by that time and it was a logical continuation of his character up until that point. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that a new guy who the largely non-watching NXT crowds from Raw and SmackDown don't really have a reason to care about may have a struggle getting out of the gate.

The IWC loving loves him so if they have any brains at all they'll debut him in front of a smarky audience, or just do it in Florida where they know him. To be fair, he's already been on the WWE roster, just repackaged. He needs The Family to get over as a mastermind leader though. I don't know if they'll pull that trigger on all three, or just give him new minions.

Also, of course he gets no reaction since he's had no build. His promo packages in NXT were amazing, so they'd be really stupid not to hype him before then. They could literally use the same videos from a year ago for his debut.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 11, 2013

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Great "You still got it" chant for Regal.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

paint dry posted:

Lol if you think Wyatt's going to Raw with his current gimmick unless they change it a fuckload. It's way too creepy and weird for a non-smark crowd to enjoy.

He's already doing it at house shows and dark matches, so no "lol" here.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

achillesforever6 posted:

And holy poo poo that promo by Bray :stare:

"I am the eater of worlds." :munch:

One day he's going to cut an Austin 3:16 or Vegas Pipebomb level promo in WWE that's going to drive us all nuts, and I can't wait for it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can't figure out what Superstars is supposed to be. Raw and Smackdown are the main weekly shows/brands, Main Event is supposed to showcase one big match (even if it doesn't always), Slam is for younger audiences, and NXT is obviously developmental talent. All of those have a central theme, and Slam even has a GM.

Superstars doesn't really seem to have a purpose. Getting rid of it might prevent the audience from falling asleep toward the end of shows now that each live event has something like 5 hours of wrestling.

I also had no idea Natalya's theme music started with the Hitman guitar squeal. That's awesome.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 22, 2013

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
More or less silly than Seth Rollins's metalcore pit dances?

NXT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVtbPyhfZmY
FCW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDel3yUXK-w (good match too, Shield against each other)

I'm watching some old-ish FCW, I can't help but love how cheesy Seth Rollins is. He's a scene kid who made it to the big time in wrestling, dances to Christcore, and now all his tweets are like goth/emo poetry but in the context of his Shield character. He's totally loving this gimmick.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

April 24, 2013

:siren: 30 minutes of Mark Henry :siren:
Zeb Colter interview
Recaaaaaps!

Is it just me, or is Khali kinda sorta improving in the ring? :stare:

Not by much, but that was a decent match and it wasn't all Mark Henry.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Maybe I was blinded by Mark's trash talking. I dunno, I just didn't find it as intolerable as usual. I'm surprised Khali can even get his legs up for kicks that high though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I hate Bo Dallas's stupid face.

Just LOOK AT IT.

STARE INTO THE ABYSS THAT IS BO DALLAS'S CHARISMA.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DeathChicken posted:

Well, who's to say Captain Mike wasn't a shrimp captain? :colbert:

The murder thing is weird, but I'm willing to accept he faked his death and entered witness protection as Irwin R. Shyster, evil tax collector.

I seriously can't believe WWE never put IRS and Undertaker into a tag team called "Death & Taxes". They had FAR worse gimmicks at the time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
WWE's shopping NXT around for a TV deal if you haven't heard. I wonder if it'll coincide with the Orlando facility they're building. It'd be sweet as hell to have the show debut in a kickass new arena.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I guess it's to discourage casual fans from spoilers, but I never understood the point of pretending everything is live. Like are we meant to believe they just live in the arena all week and an audience shows up for an hour or two's worth of shows every day? It's bizarre.

Also Foley totally Teddy Long'd that first match.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 6, 2013

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If Bo's not going anywhere, he's at least tolerable in a tag team. They should really work the generational thing, cut his hair and slick it back, stick him in a tag team with Dibiase Jr, and form Sons of Money Inc. It's like Priceless, only with someone you'd actually want to boo instead of Cody.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Isn't there a "future endeavors" thread somewhere? We should list those there.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ChaosSmurf posted:

Oh! I read somewhere (tumblr?) that they couldn't call Paige up until her 21st birthday in August as a kinda company policy type deal. This true?

It's weird, every time I see Paige I forget how young she is. She totally owns her role like she's been at it forever.

Then I remember by comparison that Summer Rae is almost 30. :stare:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
^I don't see why not. He's doing it at house shows and dark matches, and unless they change the name he'll be the character. Otherwise they might as well just go back to Husky Harris.

Jefferoo posted:

Bray Wyatt should be the one to end The Streak. Just putting that out there.

I dunno about ending it, but my god the promos for that.

"What are you gonna do to me, Dead Man, that ain't already been done? See, I'm already a dead man too..." :allears:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

KungFu Grip posted:

Everything I've heard from dark matches and house shows is that the big crowds just don't care about listening to him.

Well yeah, of course big crowds don't care much about him yet; most have no idea who he is. Unless you think they'll debut him cold, which I highly doubt. They can't expect a gimmick to get over in dark matches with different crowds every week who have never seen him before; "Ringmaster" Steve Austin came out to silence when he debuted too. My point was just the fact that they're using the gimmick at high level shows at all, so he'll most likely keep it.

Honestly Wyatt's original NXT debut vignette doesn't have to be changed a bit. It's still good and it doesn't reference anything contemporary.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

He reminds me of Scott Standford - he has a "real broadcaster" air about him but seems enthusiastic and genuine. Hope he does better than Scott did.

Yeah well, Mike Adamle had a "real broadcaster" air about him too. Just saying.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Guys I was just boiling an egg and some of it splashed on me and it really hurt and I don't know how but somehow its Corey Graves fault.

Hamass posted:

Eh, I'm entitled to my opinion of Graves even if everyone else absolutely loves him. Stories about how he rebelled against nameless people who told him to stop getting tattoos just seems like another hurdle he added to his backstory. Like the daddy issues. Just because Punk had a promo or two about how his alcoholic father made him straight-edge doesn't mean daddy issues should be an integral part of your gimmick. Yet everytime there's a Graves video package you can bet he'll bring up the daddy issues.

I'll stop arguing this point because it's clear the only response I'm getting is basically "NOOO HES THE BEST YOU CANT HATE HIM I HATE YOUUU"

I'm honestly not all that high on him either, but you should stop arguing this point because you're being a pedantic dumbass about it, not because everyone else likes him.

"He's a phony!"
"Nah, he's pretty genuine and here's a thing he said once like 10 years ago."
"Oh yeah? Well I can't find THAT EXACT QUOTE on a Google search so you must be wrong!"
"Uh, I heard it straight from him in person."
"Well then he must be exaggerating! RARRG TOUGH GUY"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

VogeGandire posted:

All he needs is Cena to mention Husky Harris, and the train is off the tracks.

I keep seeing this mentioned, but has he ever actually done that sort of thing? I mean if it's an evolution of a gimmick that someone goes through while staying the same person I can see him saying "LOL Bob Holly didn't you used to race cars?" but when someone is repacked as a totally new character, WWE has always been good about pretending it's a different person. He's not exactly saying "Yep yep yep what it do" to Ryback, or calling out Kane for being an evil dentist.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fart Radio posted:

Mickey (formerly Axl) Keegan

Way to make your stage name suck. You want to make it memorable, not have to explain to everyone that you weren't stuttering.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Much as I'm enjoying Sami Zayn so far in NXT, his smarky indie fans are already getting annoying because there aren't enough of them to get an actual "Ole" chant going. So during all of his matches we just get about 30 false starts by some drunk guy or some kid and then it quickly stops. It gets to the point where it's distracting.

Maybe it'll get better when he's called up, or if they actually let him put the mask on, but for right now I wish they'd just embrace the new character unless they can get at least a full group of people to start up a chant.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

achillesforever6 posted:

I imagine that it might pick up, I mean this is the same crowd that chanted "SHAH" everytime Curtis Axel hit somebody.

See, that's something I wish would catch on in WWE main shows.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, push or not, giving someone like Cesaro lengthy, impressive, weekly matches on TV isn't the worst thing in the world.

I can't explain why, but for some reason Cesaro's new tan makes him look smaller in the ring. Maybe it's the ridiculous contrast with Sheamus or something, but I swear Cesaro usually looks bigger to me and I've only noticed this since he started tanning.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Makes sense to push Kruger now; there's going to be a creepy heel void in NXT pretty soon.

Bo in a suit makes me think they should've just made him IRS Jr. He should've always been a slimy heel.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I understand that. But Main Event is taped and aired later, so there's nothing stopping them from editing it so the actual main event (in this case, Sheamus/Cesaro) comes last.

I always figured it was "Here's the match we promised you right off the bat. If that doesn't fill the hour, here's Justin Gabriel doing flippy things."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Patware posted:

Conor O'Brien wasn't over with me until he got JRPG villain music to go with his JRPG villain cape and also stood stock still for ten seconds just waiting. That was amazing.

Dude's got a great presence. Although, every time I see him in that entrance getup I can't help thinking he has no peripheral vision whatsoever.

When is he supposed to start tagging again? I haven't read the full taping spoilers. I kind of want to see him fly solo, but the gimmick does fit a team pretty well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if Erick Rowan's going to keep the sheep mask when the Family gets called up. Everyone else has A Thing. Bray Wyatt is Bray Wyatt, and Luke Harper's got that psycho "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeaaaahhhh" chant thing he does after every other move.

Suben posted:

Well they just recently got married so cool for them for actually lasting.
I really want to believe that his walk down the aisle at his wedding was just his Ascension entrance, but he was wearing a tux under his cape.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 8, 2013

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

mactheknife posted:

Bo was corpsing out of his loving mind the entire promo.

No, no, that's just his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That was his original theme and it owns all the bones.

I actually really liked his singles theme too. Maybe cool it off for a while and someone can use it again later. I'm guessing they're using it again because they're making the new Ascension. According to Twitter pictures, Rick Victor showed up in costume following Conor's squash of A-Ry last week after they went to commercial.

I was thinking today though: What IS O'Brian/Ascension's gimmick? He's got that throwback Undertaker atmospheric thing going on, but he doesn't have goofy magic powers. I think the gimmick is literally "badass and ominous". It's not so much a character as it is a look.

• Locked thread