Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

OK. Hi. I am an actual legitimate instructor at an actual legitimate university, and this is an actual legitimate problem, the tantrums of the right wing aside.

if your problem is with the consumerization of education your problem is with capitalism, not the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not saying all of Europe, just that one country does. Can't remember which one it was off the top of my head though. Was it Germany?

The German CDU are very moderate by American standards, to the point where they're basically identical in policy to 90s vintage American Democrats. The French UMP/Republicans, I suspect, are similar, though I don't know enough about French politics to really say more in detail. British conservatives are a little bit more moderate than American Republicans, but not by much. Eastern/Post Soviet Europe conservative parties have mostly become neo-fascists, as have Scandanavia's. I'm not really sure about Spain/Portugal/Italy/Greece, but my general impression is that their conservatives are about similar to Western Europe's

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 22, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

alan moore and v for vendetta are both bad and anyone who uses that stupid loving mask as a political symbol is most likely a reddit libertarian dipshit

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Heinlein was a fascist with a bunch of weird fetishes, yes

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/opinion/sunday/the-liberal-blind-spot.html

quote:

CLASSIC liberalism exalted tolerance, reflected in a line often (and probably wrongly) attributed to Voltaire: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

On university campuses, that is sometimes updated to: “I disapprove of what you say, so shut up.”

In a column a few weeks ago, I offered “a confession of liberal intolerance,” criticizing my fellow progressives for promoting all kinds of diversity on campuses — except ideological. I argued that universities risk becoming liberal echo chambers and hostile environments for conservatives, and especially for evangelical Christians.

As I see it, we are hypocritical: We welcome people who don’t look like us, as long as they think like us.

It’s rare for a column to inspire widespread agreement, but that one led to a consensus: Almost every liberal agreed that I was dead wrong.

“You don’t diversify with idiots,” asserted the reader comment on The Times’s website that was most recommended by readers (1,099 of them). Another: Conservatives “are narrow-minded and are sure they have the right answers.”

Finally, this one recommended by readers: “I am grossly disappointed in you for this essay, Mr. Kristof. You have spent so much time in troubled places seemingly calling out misogyny and bigotry. And yet here you are, scolding and shaming progressives for not mindlessly accepting patriarchy, misogyny, complementarianism, and hateful, hateful bigotry against the LGBTQ community into the academy.”

Mixed in here are legitimate issues. I don’t think that a university should hire a nincompoop who disputes evolution, or a racist who preaches inequality. But as I see it, the bigger problem is not that conservatives are infiltrating social science departments to spread hatred, but rather that liberals have turned departments into enclaves of ideological homogeneity.

Sure, there are dumb or dogmatic conservatives, just as there are dumb and dogmatic liberals. So let’s avoid those who are dumb and dogmatic, without using politics or faith as a shorthand for mental acuity.

On campuses at this point, illiberalism is led by liberals. The knee-jerk impulse to protest campus speakers from the right has grown so much that even Democrats like Madeleine Albright, the first female secretary of state, have been targeted.

Obviously, the challenges faced by conservatives are not the same as those faced by blacks, reflecting centuries of discrimination that continues today. I’ve often written about unconscious bias and about how many “whites just don’t get it.” But liberals claim to be champions of inclusiveness — so why, in the academic turf that we control, aren’t we ourselves more inclusive? If we are alert to bias in other domains, why don’t we tackle our own liberal blind spot?

Frankly, the torrent of scorn for conservative closed-mindedness confirmed my view that we on the left can be pretty closed-minded ourselves.

As I see it, there are three good reasons for universities to be more welcoming not just to women or blacks, but also to conservatives.

First, stereotyping and discrimination are wrong, whether against gays or Muslims, or against conservatives or evangelicals. We shouldn’t define one as bigotry and the other as enlightenment.

When a survey finds that more than half of academics in some fields would discriminate against a job seeker who they learned was an evangelical, that feels to me like bigotry.

Second, there’s abundant evidence of the benefits of diversity. Bringing in members of minorities is not an act of charity but a way of strengthening an organization. Yet universities suffer a sickly sameness: Four studies have found that at most only about one professor in 10 in the humanities or social sciences is a Republican.

I’ve often denounced conservative fearmongering about Muslims and refugees, and the liberal hostility toward evangelicals seems rooted in a similar insularity. Surveys show that Americans have negative views of Muslims when they don’t know any; I suspect many liberals disdain evangelicals in part because they don’t have any evangelical friends.

Sure, achieving diversity is a frustrating process, but it enriches organizations and improves decision-making. So let’s aim for ideological as well as ethnic diversity.

Third, when scholars cluster on the left end of the spectrum, they marginalize themselves. We desperately need academics like sociologists and anthropologists influencing American public policy on issues like poverty, yet when they are in an outer-left orbit, their wisdom often goes untapped.

In contrast, economists remain influential. I wonder if that isn’t partly because there is a critical mass of Republican economists who battle the Democratic economists and thus tether the discipline to the American mainstream.

I’ve had scores of earnest conversations with scholars on these issues. Many make the point that there simply aren’t many conservative social scientists available to hire. That’s true. The self-selection is also understandable: If I were on the right, I’d be wary of pursuing an academic career (conservatives repeatedly described to me being belittled on campuses and suffering what in other contexts are called microaggressions).

To improve diversity, universities have tried to increase the numbers of minority scholars in the pipeline, in part by being more welcoming. Maybe a starting point to bolster ideological diversity would likewise be to signal that conservatives are not second-class citizens on campuses: We liberals should have the self-confidence to believe that our values can triumph in a fair contest in the marketplace of ideas.

There are no quick solutions to the ideological homogeneity on campuses, but shouldn’t we at least acknowledge that this is a shortcoming, rather than celebrate our sameness?

Can’t we be a bit more self-aware when we dismiss conservatives as so cocky and narrow-minded that they should be excluded from large swaths of higher education?

Cocky? Narrow-minded? I suggest that we look in the mirror.

I've been waiting for the point where mainstream liberals / the Jon Chait crowd drop the pretense of common cause with the left and start openly throwing redbaiting tantrums in defense of their privileges as the rightful aristocratic rulers of the filthy idiot masses. I think this election is it

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 30, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Why can't you stupid liberals just stop saying mean things about us. Only we can say mean things! You're the ones that are supposed to be tolerant and forgiving and take the burden of others, so take all the burden I put on you and smile correctly when I do!

You have to understand that liberals of the NYT/Atlantic/New Republic bent do not actually want progressive/left-wing change. They want to be able to feel like Serious, Reasonable Adults by defending the status quo. That is the entire basis of their politics. Opposing the Tea Party and the Republican right is a good way to do that, and while the right is still a major threat allying with the left is convenient for them. But if/when the left gains actual power they'll do the same thing in reverse. They're never going to let the left kick the football, so to speak, because doing so would mean meaningful sacrifice on the part of the liberal aristocratic class

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 30, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sephyr posted:

I have about 4 boomarked links of campuses and other organizations shutting down BDS stuff and pro-palestinian initiatives, to e sent to people who whine at me about PC/freeze peach crap.

I get told 'It's completely different' a lot, but never got an explanation of why.

BDS is different because it has actually been working, at least a shitload better than your average fringe leftist cause. Plus Zionism is one of the innermost, most untouchable planks of Jon Chait/Serious Person liberalism. If BLM ever came up with a successful way to challenge the authority of the police and prison system and starts implementing it themselves, I would fully expect to see the same kind of shocked op-eds denouncing the new leftist totalitarianism. Supporting such movements until the exact moment when they begin to actually succeed is the entire point; It lets liberals take the moral high ground and political support from the left while at the same time not have to make any kind of political sacrifice that would harm the status quo which has been so rewarding for them

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

oh my god how is this an actual debate people are having? if the blackshirts are preparing to march down to the parliament and seize power by force then by all means, bash the fash. otherwise no, you can't assault people for saying things you don't like

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

you're gonna be censured by the party disciplinary committee and sent to re-education or a struggle session if you keep it up

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

And these are the people who are going to lead us into the less sensitive, more john wayne, rub-some-dirt-on-it future?

i'm pretty sure john wayne wouldn't need to stalk and harass the cute college girl and whine at her in an insufferable nerd voice to change her mind

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

He'd just corner her and woo her with his rugged manliness and rape her.

exactly. milo's not gonna do poo poo unless it's directing a horde of 4chan doxxers from the safety of his basement

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

why do they always have that hideous bowl haircut?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lol Matt Yglesias dropped the Goldman Sachs ads in his podcast. Score one for the twitter Marxists

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I just realized something. How come Robert E Lee is the guy Confederate Otakus talk about all the time and not Jefferson Davis? I would think the guy who actually ran the country would get a lot more cheerleaders.

confederate otaku

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Have some more newrepublic.txt

quote:

Orlando Has Exposed Islam’s Huge Homophobia Problem

quote:

A shield of white liberal guilt protects socially conservative minorities from having their positions challenged, and this shield is harmful.

https://newrepublic.com/article/134311/orlando-exposed-islams-huge-homophobia-problem

Even on the radical identity politics issues where liberalism has given out major concessions to the left you can still see their true loyalties as smug, wealthy white men shine through from time to time

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 15, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm trying to think of something equivalent to the way American conservatives get mad about people pointing out the flaws of Columbus or the founding fathers. Are there British people who get mad about people talking about Henry VIII's wives?

Turkey's entire political identity is based around genocide denial. Japanese conservatives are squirrely at best about ww2. I feel like French conservatives might be similar about Petain and ww2 collaboration

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

It always suprises me about Turkeys denial. The founder of their countries modern state wasn't even involved durectly in the Armenian Genocide, hell I think he shot most of the "Young Turks" that were involved in it. Yet there is still this urge to go "nope didn't happen".

Ataturk didn't literally command the troops who carried out the genocide, but the country he founded would not have been possible without the ethnic cleansing of 3+ million Greeks and Armenians. So modern Turkey is very touchy about people criticizing that ethnic cleansing, because it is much more difficult to separate modern Turkey from the WW1 genocides than the UK from their empire, or even Germany and Japan from their WW2 stuff

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 3, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Could you elaborate? Or do you have a link to somewhere to read more about how the Armenian Genocide allowed for modern turkey? I'd be interested in hearing about it!

I don't have particular book recommendations or anything, but I would look at the Turkish War of Independence and Turkish nationalist ideology to learn more. The Turkish historiography generally portrays the war as the Turkish nation heroically defeating the evil invaders of Britain, France and Russia and their treacherous Greek and Armenian fifth columnists within. Territorially speaking Turkey would have been 1/3 or so smaller under the Treaty of Sevres to the benefit of Greek and Armenian states. The Turkish national identity which is then constructed by the Republican government after the war is more or less designed in explicit contrast to the former Christian minorities, with a long-term effort to instill a 'mercantile spirit' in the Turkish population and to get rid of and seize/nationalize the property the Greeks and Armenians who remained in Istanbul, which was mostly unaffected by the genocides, and who still played an outsized role as the mercantile bourgeoisie of the empire and then republic. The result of this is that a huge chunk of the wealth behind the Turkish economy is descended from that stolen from the Greek, Armenian, (and also Jewish) middle classes during and after the war. The old Turkish presidential mansion is literally the estate of a wealthy Armenian businessman, for example

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%87ankaya_Mansion

quote:

The land upon which the Çankaya Mansion now stands was a vineyard that belonged to Ohannes Kasabian, an Armenian jeweller and merchant.[5][6] The vineyard and house were confiscated by the Bulgurluzâde family after the Kasabian family fled Ankara to escape the Armenian Genocide and settled in the relative safety of Constantinople.[5] When Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, who would later become the first president of the Republic of Turkey, saw the building in 1921, he took a strong liking to the property and bought it from Bulgurluzâde Tevfik Efendi for 4,500 Turkish lira.[6][7][8]

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 3, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Oh, I think I know how this works. Let me guess: "Why are you blaming me for the genocide? I wasn't even alive when it happened and neither were you! Seems to me like you're the racist one for always bringing up the past. Me, I judge people by their character, not their ethnicity. :smug:"

The Turkish government line is actually much worse than that, it's basically that the Armenians were traitors and deserved what they got. They spend tens of millions of dollars a year on PR campaigns to promote that view

You do see that opinion on reddit fairly often though when the topic comes up in the news

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Stallion Cabana posted:

also which dude hates Grey Wolves and why. That sounds like a fascinating prejudice.

Maybe he's talking about the Turkish government-sponsored fascist paramilitary?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Wolves_(organization)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Do republicans hate Hillary more than Obama?

Not sure about more, probably as much though

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Hbomberguy has a pretty concise description of how virtue signaling arose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmM872874A

We didn't run that guy out of these forums only to have his dipshit videos posted here lol

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Pfft, what?

Does he still post here? All I know is he posted here a while ago and was generally terrible and I haven't seem him around in a while. He got into some really heated arguments in GBS about how Kill la Kill is a sterling example of feminist media

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lol you're talking

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Wait, he actually said this in person, and not in a tweet?

Jesus Christ, Trump, is Mussolini your goddamn role model?

Mussolini didn't promote ethnic cleansing or mass deportations of minorities from Italy. He just wanted to invade Ethiopia and Yugoslavia

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I can't blame Cenk for this or anyone on that set.

If you're a liberal or a progressive? It's a been a poo poo week. Christ, I've never felt soul destroyed and that was just me WATCHING the drat thing. Imagine how bad it is to have been in the general area and to have interact with those assholes.

In walks Jones demanding a debate right there on set and acting like a confrontational rear end in a top hat. We've all seen how jones acts and boom.

I still like TYT quite a bit. I think INFOWARS is a loving cancer.

did Cenk acknowledge the Armenian Genocide?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gunder posted:

This is correct. Its loving astounding to me, a euro, how so many Americans are falling for it. It truly does seem like a political movement of the stupid and the insane.

marine le pen's gonna win the french election next year, unfortunately

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

beatlegs posted:

With stories about Trump's campaign staff imploding I'm suddenly getting scared Pence will get moved to the top of the ticket and win.

They're going to take Obama's advice and it'll be his fault. Thanks Obama

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kenzie posted:

What the hell is it with alt-right nerds and anime? I don't watch anime so is there something in there that appeals to fascists? Looking in the alt-right twitter world, like with the people harassing Leslie Jones, there are legions of anime avatars screaming about SJWs and blah blah.

Are we facing a jackbooted fascist movement marching under the banner of a cutesy little nazi anime girl?

It's because the American cultural mainstream is manifestly hostile to neonazis, and anime is not part of that mainstream, especially not when removed from its original context and floating about on the internet, so neonazis can effectively claim it without being told to gently caress off by its creators, because its creators live in Japan and don't speak English. Much of it also is made to appeal to sad lonely nerds, so, well, you get the idea

Samovar posted:

I have honestly been wondering if the reason I dislike anime is because I'm somehow a chauvinist, because I have not seen a single one, not movie, not series I can say I liked. The closest to that would have been the Wind Also Rises, which was pretty much non-fiction to begin with.

Hell, the only one I've seen whose character design I didn't loathe was JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, because all characters were drawn grotesquely, and even then I thought it was aggressively mediocre.

You're not necessarily a racist if you don't like anime, but my experience has been that a whole lot of people who don't like anime also happen to be racists and/or orientalists, which tends to show itself more clearly when the discussion turns to the country itself rather than media. See the tidal wave of people ITT saying "here's some thin evidence and anecdotes, but we KNOW Japan is a fascist borg-hivemind nation, loving nips lol"

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 29, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Especially since she's probably the form that the GOP needs to take if they want to have any type of success of the presidential level again.

Aiming at racist middle class white ladies is sort of what they've been doing for decades now though? If moving on from Boomer racist middle class white ladies to a GenX racist middle class white lady is the best they've got, uh, yikes

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 29, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Night10194 posted:

He's really not trying to appeal to black voters (or he might be stupid enough to think he'll manage it, while his advisors know better) but rather to convince fence-sitting white voters 'No man I'm totally not racist, look, I tried to reach out and they were just so unreasonable wink wink'

My hometown AM radio man, who caters to racist upper middle class white flight suburbanites in suburban Milwaukee, was convinced that Hillary's latest attacks on Trump's association with alt-right neo-nazis is because she and liberals are terrified that Trump is going to show poor black people the truth that Democrats are the real racists and that welfare is the new plantation slavery. This guy, by the way, is about as orthodox a movement conservative as they come and has been super hostile to Trump over the course of the campaign

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The only legislation Hillary will get passed, and that if she's lucky, is an emergency patchup of Obamacare. unfortunately Dems don't seem to want to campaign on any sort of positive agenda beyond 'the status quo is good and we're not Republicans' so I don't see how this changes. IMO it's possible you'll see some sort of catastrophic collapse in Republican support or in its platform, I don't think Paul Ryan obstructionism is a particularly stable political strategy, but it's also entirely possible they'll be able to keep it up for another 8 years

Radish posted:

Something has to break here because it's a totally unsustainable situation and I don't know it will be first. Changing demographics suggest the Republicans can't just appeal to hateful white people and remain in control. However their strategy of being so bad at government that they make people hate all government until they worm their way back into power as the "anti-government party" (as ludicrous as that moniker is) just once and then go all out bonkers looting the nation while burning everything to the ground seems like it's inevitable.

Given their overwhelming control of state and local government it seems they can

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 27, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Liberal media.txt

quote:

How a Harvard Economist Redesigned the Kidney Marketplace

http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/509054/harvard-economist-redesigned-kidney-marketplace

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2017/01/books-liberty-oriented-economics-young-people.html

quote:

Books on liberty-oriented economics for young people

I receive requests for recommendations in this area fairly often. I don’t feel I am qualified to judge the outputs, but here are three that have come across my path as of late and seem to me very good:

Connor Boyack, illustrated by Elijah Stanfield, The Tuttle Twins and The Road to Surfdom. Recommended ages 5-11.

I.M. Lerner and Catherine L. Osornio, The Secret Under the Staircase, and The Hidden Entrance. Here the age range seems to be higher, maybe 10-12? I feel I could have read them younger than that, however.

Someone should write a bibliographic essay on the books in this category. What else can you recommend?

famous economist recommends libertarian picture books for preteen children

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

sweart gliwere posted:

Let's have a discussion on Turkish ethnic purity and national authenticity in another thread.

Or, because the Mongolian expat originals have lived and had families alongside and intermixed with regional middle-eastern natives, for hundreds of years... maybe not at all.

turkish nationalists are a fun group of people to encounter and troll on the internet

BarbarianElephant posted:

Wikipedia reveals that Saint Nicholas was Turkish. So to be accurate, all Santa Clauses should be of Middle Eastern origin.

he was greek, actually

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

he's a third way centrist with some libertarian ideas thrown in

see also: andrew sullivan, marty peretz, a whole host of middle aged white men associated with the Dem party in the 1990s

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

boner confessor posted:

i dont watch the guy but what does he say that's liberal because all i know about him is that he's super freaked out by islam, hates religion in general, and doesn't trust vaccines

Like other internet libertarians, he doesn't like fundamentalist christians or ISPs that block his torrenting

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Off topic, but what do you say to someone who argues that the primary factor that caused the 2008 Financial Crisis was the Fed lowering interest rates?

In 2001? Cause the Fed had been raising interest rates for a few years prior to 08, from a low reached around 2001/2002

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/interest-rate

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's always incredible to see Scott Adams show just how ignorant he is of the Korean situation, he comes up with the stupidest plans that would never work in reality and acts like he's the world's greatest genius for coming up with them.

I think Adams' big problem is that he is under the impression that Kim Jong Un is a perfectly reasonable and rational man, and probably just wants to be rich, rather than a complete psychopath who cares only about maintaining his iron grip on the country.

scott adams unveils his theory of the new type of great-power relations and win-win cooperation for mutual benefit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ehhh, anti-Catholicism is mostly a thing only in wacky fundamentalist extremist groups, it's not really present in ideological conservatism proper

In fact the Movement Conservatism of Buckley and co was largely a (successful) attempt to create an analogue of te British consrvative tradition in the United States, which has since its inception leaned Catholic. There's a reason people like CS Lewis, Tolkein, GK Chesterson, etc, are hugely important figures to modern American conservatism

Buckley himself was a practicing Catholic who preferred the pre-Vatican 2 mass

I would go so far as to argue that there was no coherent conservative political tradition in this country until the import of Catholic-based British conservatism by Buckley and co in the postwar. When Richard Hofstader said that liberalism was the only coherent political tradition in the USA in the 1960s he was basically correct