Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Sir Tonk posted:

Some pretty good quotes on here (stolen from the toons thread). It's got a facebook thing at the bottom that's filling up steadily, although half seem to not appreciate the greatness of this webpage.

http://obamagolfcounter.com/

It's magical.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Well, from a certain point of view, they are creating the truth. A store can't raise prices by 15% and get away with it if consumers think they're being greedy assholes, but if they do an ad campaign about how they'll go out of business if they don't raise prices then people will pay the difference.

Wouldn't that sort of fall on its face once the minimum wage went up and other stores didn't raise prices, or am I overestimating the public?
I know I'm overestimating Republicans.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Whoa it was in the next room but I think Megyn Kelly just said "some people have pointed out that Dylann Roof had black Facebook friends, so wasn't racist"

Lieberals got :downsowned:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Oh wow now some guest is saying the US doesn't have an unusually high rate of mass shootings because Anders Behring Breivik, this show is gold.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

quote:

Congressional Black Caucasians
:psyduck:
I don't even know what he's trying to accomplish with that, I would think it was a Rachel Dolezal joke but I think I've seen it in transcripts before that. Even for Rush that's stupid.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

site posted:

"when he bought into the left’s mantra"

Council of Conservative Citizens

The name doesn't matter, Dylann Roof is a de facto lieberal spurred on by lieberal propaganda because conservatives would never shoot up a church.
The Council of Conservative Citizens had nothing to do with it, they didn't publish an article calling readers to shoot nine people at a Bible study at the Emanuel AME Church on June 17, 2015 did they??
Anyway I've known Earl Holt for 30 years and there's not a racist bone in his body, don't judge people you haven't met :smug:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Megyn Kelly is interviewing Donald Trump about Univision and it is one of the funniest things I have seen on television. I think Fox is trying to position Donald Trump as a legitimate presidential frontrunner? :allears:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Caiden Cowger ‏@CaidenCowger 3h3 hours ago
Celebrate now sodomites... there will be no party in hell.

The thread title's been around for a few months, hasn't it?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Secondly, the Confederate flag response has been mostly spontaneous and grass-roots hasn't it?

If there's one universal truth it's that every negative thing said about republicans, up to and including social network posts, is the liberal media's or government's doing.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

How do you know? Were you there? :smug:

I've seen this argument used for everything from the flood to dinosaurs and people existing at the same time.

The right wing in general just loves the "You can't prove I'm wrong so I guess I'm right!" argument. I guess it fits with how conservatism can only be failed, never fail.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Ahahaha, O'Reilly tried to pin the increase in food stamp recipients on Obama and it loving backfires when the reporter he had on points out the stagnancy in wages despite a stronger economy so he tries covering his rear end by tying it back to Obama. Hot Christ how can anyone stand this guy?

It's exactly what O'Reilly watchers believe. O'Reilly made that reporter look like an idiot by pointing out how it was all Obama's fault in the first place. O'Reilly is almost infallible, I (not ironically) think it has a lot to do with the "no spin zone" slogan.

Obama bad.

Mister Adequate posted:

No see, it's always true, but brave people who bring such plans to light mess with the conditions needed for full UN takeover, so that the plans always have to be deferred or canceled.

Also, I hope O'Keefe and his associates have their skin slogh off before they drown in their own bile. Just putting that out there.

It's important to note that the only reason the conspiracy fails is that the conspiracy theorists upset the plans. When Jade Helm doesn't end in a UN invasion of Real America it'll be because heroes like Ted Cruz just barely frustrated their plans.

It's a little like creation-evolution debates. You can't prove it wrong, because for the audience the act of proving it wrong itself is more evidence in favor.

Also Megyn Kelly shut down a guest debunking the Planned Parenthood video with "you're wrong," no further explanation :allears:

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 16, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Man doesn't Fox News screen their guests better in the off-chance they'll actually disagree with them on air and interrupt the party line with actual discussion?

It's no big deal if they disagree. Fox isn't trying to change the minds of people who rationally evaluate arguments, they're trying to appeal to Fox News viewers.
When right-wing hosts shout over guests and respond to a reasoned counter argument with "no" their audience eats that right up. You have to remember that when a guest comes on, explains why the host is wrong about something, and the host calls them an idiot, that is absolutely a win for the host.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Lt. Calley must kick himself for not going into politics.

He wouldn't stand a chance, he apologized (in 2009).

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
That unfunny John Stewart ripoff lists "ending slavery" as one of the great things white people have done for the United States.
loving :lol:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

jerk1000 posted:

I don't know why it's been circulating recently, but the video is from 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QT8Q-Hcll0

His show was canceled soon after, maybe as a result of that particular crazy rant? He's still on Fox News all the time, so they couldn't have been that bothered by it.

Fox doesn't have a problem with unhinged actual-crazy-person rants, they've kept the Jeanine Pirro show on air for four and a half years now.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Bill O'Reilly: "You hear the insane rhetoric on cable news every night."
:supaburn:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Flobbster posted:

Same thing they do when a white person who gets all their news from conservative outlets kills a bunch of black people:

• "False flag"
• dig up prior parking tickets to show they were no angel, clearly someone with civil violations must have done something to incite this
• Don't mention the killer's politics at all
• "if only that gay had had a gun... See, this could have been prevented if it weren't for lieburals!"

When the victim is gay instead of black, you get an opportunity for bonus excuses!

• the rape analogy: "if he hadn't been out there flaunting his gayness, he wouldn't have gotten stabbed"
• divine retribution for sinful ways

It's quite easy for conservatives to twist even the most clear-cut case of terrorism from their own into anything but what it is.

"Remember <any mass shooter who was a registered Democrat>? Guess they did it because of NPR."

edit: Fundamentalist Muslims are liberals for the purposes of that quote (and any other purposes), it doesn't have to make sense.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Hazo posted:

Ahahahhahaha oh my god, did anyone else hear Levin shrieking about Obama calling for reduced carbon emissions today, and said:

"Carbon dioxide happens to start off a process called photosynthesis, Mr. President. It's what gives us oxygen and gives plants food! If we produce less carbon, we'll have fewer plants."

He's not the first.
It seems like the "I'm not a scientist but this is just common sense" thing is the center of every global warming denial argument now.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Historically, right wing movements are long of appeals to emotion and short on critical thinking and facts.

I don't know if you can say that exactly. They have their fair share of facts, it's just that the facts are obviously wrong with any amount of investigation.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

The_Rob posted:

So then we should support the Warhawk neo liberal?

Bernie will support Hillary if/when she wins the nomination so...

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Fox News, noted for its sympathy for asylum seekers.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Can someone explain, preferably in non-crazy language, what exactly the supposed wrongdoings of Hillary are with regards to email? Hannity spent like half an hour going on about this this afternoon, and it's starting to drive me crazy. Near as I can tell, the argument is:

While Secretary of State, she used non-secure / non-government email addresses and servers, which she wasn't supposed to do. People found out about it, tried to subpoena? the servers, but it turns out she had deleted all the emails at some point beforehand, so that may or may not have been tampering with evidence. Because they weren't secure/government servers, there was a higher chance that Chinese/Russian/ISIS hackers got hold of them. So they want to find out just what she had been sending in those emails, which entails somehow recovering the deleted emails from the servers (which I'm not understanding how that would work, unless they knew what physical hard drives the emails were stored on at Google or Yahoo or wherever?). They want to prove that she was sending (and compromising?) lots of top secret and confidential information, which would then result in hundreds or thousands of charges of evidence tampering?

Or something. The only time I ever hear about this is from Fox or talk radio, so I'm trying to dig out whatever seeds of truth might be in the piles of utter horseshit they're regularly throwing out.

There seems to be an interagency argument over whether certain information should be classified, which the right wing is pushing as "Clinton emailed classified information." It'd be retroactively classified and wasn't classified when Clinton got it, and in any case the emails were circulating on unclassified State computers before Clinton received them, so that issue would still exist if Clinton had used government servers (and the ones at fault are State employees).
There's no evidence that Clinton's staff stripped notices of classification, and none of the information in the emails is from sensitive sources.
Clinton voluntarily gave the server to the FBI, the RWM is reporting it as "seized" or "subpoenaed" because Clinton bad. Certain emails might have been deleted from the server, but I don't know any indication that they were deleted outside SOP for that kind of thing.
None of this is anything like what Petraeus did but that won't stop them from comparing it to Petraeus every third loving sentence.

I think what they're accusing her of is storing sensitive information without the proper security, and then destroying evidence on the servers. It seems like the Fox/radio presentation is taking the same route as Benghazi, bringing up every possible accusation against Clinton and hoping something sticks because Clinton bad.

Based on how nobody ever mentions this outside RWM I'm assuming it's irrelevant smoke and mirrors bullshit like the 596739 other Clinton scandals they bring up.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

beatlegs posted:

But you see, we don't *know* that there weren't actual top secret emails on her server because she erased them! WE DON'T KNOW. This is what they're going to use throughout the entire campaign. WE DON'T KNOW what illegal stuff Hillary did because she destroyed evidence! You can't trust her, she's crazy diabolical!

Accusing her of destroying evidence was kind of a :master: play on their part. If the original charges ever lose their luster, Fox can complain (and Trey Gowdy can waste government resources failing to prove) that she destroyed the evidence that proves she destroyed evidence.

VitalSigns posted:

Eh if I were nationally infamous for killing a black teen and getting away with it, I'd probably spend the rest of my life bilking money from dumb racists rather than fail at getting job after job because of my notoriety.

Yall would understand, right?

Of all the things Zimmerman might do with the rest of his life I think selling lovely Confederate flag paintings to racists for MSRP $97 and donating the proceeds to a legitimate charity is one of the best isn't that bad :yaycloud:
edit: oh I read it again, haha zero percent of that money is going to the Boys and Girls Club :smithcloud:

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 18, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

CNN did some reprehensible story about how no one was shot at any screenings.

Was there ever a definitive reason given for some theaters increasing security? I can see it either way. Yeah America is that afraid of black people but at the same time we just had a spree killing target them and theater shootings are back in the news. I was afraid something would happen and i wasnt remotely thinking of BLACK ON BLACK.

Apparently the studio mentioned that the movie was "gang oriented"?
Seeing the "security at theatres showing Straight Outta Compton" made me think of white supremacists, definitely not BLACK ON BLACK.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Fox is running attack ads against a Michael Bloomberg presidential campaign in Nevada :psyduck:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

He went from sexual abuser to serial adulterer.

Way to present adultery as worse than child molestation, Matt.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

real edit - not gonna lie, This one caught me a little off guard coming from FoxNews. Not least of all with the coup de gras for the article being a quote from a leading figure at Planned Parenthood

Isn't Fox News Latino pretty much its own network? Comparing the Fox News and Latino articles on anything immigration related is always fun.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

radical meme posted:

Dr. Ben Carson doesn't believe in evolution. How the hell did he become a world renowned neurosurgeon believing that evolution isn't real?

This guy is a creationist, tenured biochemistry professor at a legitimate university.
Granted he doesn't say the world is 6000 years old like Ben Carson apparently does.

CommieGIR posted:

I meant ratings wise.

Ratings don't matter, they're a tool of the liberal media. I wouldn't be surprised if those movies make more money the worse reviewed they are.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 26, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
^^^ Ben Shapiro insisted that race had nothing to do with the Charleston shooting, didn't he?

Dr Christmas posted:

This is seriously beyond the pale, even by the low, low standards he's set for himself. Dinesh D'Souza is a miserable, anti-Christian bag of poo poo.

By the standards Dinesh D'Souza is espousing (take down the rainbow flag because a shooter was gay) I guess we should take down those American flags all over the place. He was a US citizen after all.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 27, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

http://wonkette.com/593312/james-okeefe-releases-shock-video-of-hillary-campaign-torturing-puppies

O'Keefe is back with his most underwhelming video yet. Dude is the king of lovely entrapment schemes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgHEClMxnpg

Wait, is their entrapment scheme literally to have someone volunteer for the Clinton campaign undercover, break election laws and then report that as CLINTON CAMPAIGN BREAKS ELECTION LAWS?
:sigh:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

radical meme posted:

Would that surprise you?

It's not as bad as wiretapping a sitting senator and getting let off with probation, no.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

So long as you don't hunt things to the point that they're endangered, what's wrong with shooting things? I was under the apparent misapprehension that conservationists got along all right with hunters. It's industry that does the real damage.

Obviously it depends on the conservationists. The ones that actually get anything done seem to be fine with managed hunting, and in some cases hunting is kind of necessary since natural predators have been extirpated. The greater environmental movement has a tendency to misplace its efforts though - look at something like fracking, nuclear power or coal industry concern trolling over "wind power kills birds."

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
You'll never guess what happens to people who say shooting unarmed people is bad on police Facebook pages.
Death threats on social media

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Matt Walsh is fuming

His entire article uses "marriage" anytime it follows gay. Says there is no such thing as gay marriage and that they serve no societal purpose. A legal and moral abomination.

"Gay couples cannot produce families. They cannot produce anything. They serve no practical purpose to society. Two men love each other, fine, but there is no reason to officially recognize that love or give it a name. And if we do give it a name, it is absurd to give it the same name when it is so vastly different. The correct name is the one scripture gives it: sin."

It's a vile article overall and had to stop reading it because of that. Matt is someone who probably is glad AIDS exists.

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/kim-davis-broke-an-illegitimate-evil-law-and-god-bless-her-for-it/

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

The bible is pretty clear on tattoos being a big no-no but that didn't seem to be enough to stop Matty boy from getting the obnoxious chi-rho he likes to totally not show off.

He also likes lovely beer.
While looking for Matt Walsh's beer opinions only two nationally distributed beers are better than Guinness, also he keeps angering his followers by tweeting about how much he hates Miller Lite I found a think piece where he says fart joke appreciation was a factor in marrying his wife.

Epic High Five posted:

"I pledged that I would run not as a third party and I am a man of my word. What I propose today is no mere third party, but a grade A #1 party with gold limos and champagne fountains. Let the RINOs squabble over who wants to knuckle under to Obama hardest, we're going to Make America Great Again"

Does the pledge forbid Trump from running for president if the Republicans are the third party?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I guess Matt Walsh has separate boys and girls bathrooms in his house.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Hazo posted:

If you believe Hannity (who will helpfully repeat his same speeches every time he touches on a subject), the problem is that it's merely a postponement. We're handing them trillions of dollars as a bribe so they can keep enriching uranium and spinning centrifuges so that as soon as the deal ends they'll have a nuclear bomb, which they'll immediately attach to ICBMs and nuke Israel and America. UN inspections will be announced and the UN is a bunch of ineffectual pussies anyway so the Iranians will just hide the evidence and continue after they leave. It makes a whole lot of sense as long as you accept the story he's telling and sincerely believe all middle eastern people are bloodthirsty terrorists.

Here's what I've heard:

- It is a deal with Iran and we should not deal with Iran.
  • They are terrorist supporters who say death to America.
  • Netanyahu said so.
  • Iranians are culturally predisposed to lying.
  • They are Muslim.

- The deal won't stop Iran from developing a nuclear bomb.
  • There is no penalty if they renege on the agreement.
  • The UN has a history of failing to find nukes.
  • The UN will go easy on Iran.
  • Look at how it worked with North Korea.
  • The deal gives Iran advance notice of inspections, enough time to hide a nuclear program.

- The deal is probably bad because Obama supports it.
  • He has a history of foreign policy failures.
  • Netanyahu doesn't like Obama.
  • Nothing this administration has ever done has been good for the country.

- The US shouldn't conduct multilateral diplomacy, because we are the world leader and should negotiate from a position of strength. No carrot, just a stick.

The nation of Iran is basically a cartoon villain, whose evil scheme is to develop a nuclear bomb and use it on the US and Israel. They'd never have agreed to the deal if it didn't help them do that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

L-Boned posted:

Something 88 years ago is relevant.... That's about as bad as birthers.

I guess if you've been following Trump the whole time and this is the thing that finally makes you decide he's racist...

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

Oh, you think that's bad? http://www.deathmetal.org/tag/metalgate/

I'm amazed he doesn't actually go all the way and use phrases like "dear reader," or "in this intrepid reporter's opinion..."

Whoa that's amazing. I didn't know The Room had a 'journalistic' ewuivalent.

one of those things doesn't belong :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Makezine is usually pretty sensitive to the community, I doubt this article is going to go over well, especially since they are big on encouraging kids in tech.

The worst part is his article misses the point: His project didn't cause as much of an uproar, it was his TREATMENT at the hands of the police and school.

It's a user comment on an article that says the clock didn't look anything like a bomb. Most of the responses are calling it out. :shrug: