Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
What airline do you usually fly? How many miles have you ever earned in a year? What's the coolest place you used miles to get to?

Seconding Austin as being one of my favorite airports. They actually have live music most weekdays inside the terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I've had nothing but great experiences with AirBnB, but I've also always done the whole apartment and not just a room. Much cheaper and better arrangement in my experience.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
Also since you'll be abroad, make sure to get a personal credit card with no foreign exchange fees.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
Also in case you decide to stay longer to do sightseeing or piggyback other travel while you're already overseas.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

caberham posted:

Man that's the only reason why I like domestic air travel in China. Every leg is already considered as one way so you just pay as you go. With the enormous pool of people flying air travel is cheap.

That was a memorable part of my China trip, was being in a completely packed 777 with just economy seating, even though there were flights every half hour to Shanghai.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
Not if the value is getting to go on a trip you may not otherwise have been able to afford.

I use a lot of my miles on coach with no regrets. I'll take 2 awesome trips over getting to sit slightly more comfortably for 8 hours one way. I love business class and all, but it seems more like a pissing contest sometimes that loses sight of the point of travel for fun.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Mackieman posted:

Tis better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission in these cases.

I've found this is often the best policy in general for business. Most of the time it never even gets noticed, and if it does, it's always forgiven.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I literally spent more time parking and getting to the terminal than I did inside the terminal. It seems mostly a check to ensure you're a real physical person.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Booking a ski trip with MY GIRLFRIEND and she's recommending we use Hotwire. I've never used it and it feels scammy to me.

I travel a fair amount (AA / Starwood Plat) so I'm not a rookie, but using a third party booking site is something I haven't done a lot of.

Anything we should watch out for?

I've used that and Priceline before with good success and significant savings. Use http://www.betterbidding.com to figure out what the going rate is and guess what hotel you may get in a particular area. Priceline is particularly good at getting much cheap rental cars.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

This was a couple days ago, but somehow my wife got a same day change to an earlier United flight MCO-ORD simply by asking. No status (not even a MileagePlus account), no weather or other ops issues, no sob story, no fee, just...asked and received. How unusual is this for UA?

Maybe they overbooked her original flight so she was essentially doing UA a favor. But goes to show that it never hurts to ask.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
Yeah, they may have had the right, but it's poo poo customer service. They should have picked someone else and/or paid way more to get someone else to volunteer.

Though I'm also surprised that no one volunteered for $800 plus hotel plus meals. I've volunteered for less.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

It's helped a little with the crowd of people who swarm the gate when they had group 2 printed on their boarding pass not realizing there were five unnumbered groups before hand. Except at CLT which still seems to have big issues with people swarming the gate and shutting down the hallway there.

This is why I prefer Southwest's method of boarding. It's by far the most orderly and doesn't end up with a giant cluster gently caress of people crowding each other out at the gate. I wish every airline did it like that.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

no assigned seats can suck a thousand loving dicks

I'm genuinely curious, why? I prefer window and have always gotten it every time I've flown Southwest. And if you're picky you can pay the $15 for early bird to essentially have your choice of seats, versus the up to $85 it takes to pick a seat on the legacy carriers, assuming a non middle seat is even available by the time you buy a ticket.

Also by picking your seat as you board you can avoid "large" passengers and babies/kids kicking your seat.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I have funny shaped ears apparently so in-ear buds are always falling out and never feel comfortable. It sucks.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

French Canadian posted:

If I have pre-check can the waifu come with me in the line?

It worked on with my girlfriend last month when I had her ticket on the same reservation as mine. Did two vacations and she got pre-check on her boarding pass too both times (United and Aeromexico).

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

drgitlin posted:

Never mind plane fares, imagine what their hotel bills will be like. That or they’re staying in Reno at this point.

This is my second year going to CES and it's nuts. Last year I was at Treasure Island and got there early to setup the demos. First night was $80, but two nights later it was $580 for a 3rd floor room with a view of a beige wall and an air conditioning unit.

Water Resistant fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 7, 2018

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

protip i just discovered with the waitress: if you're flying through A terminal BOS lucky's bar charges rail prices for all vodka drinks if you order a double :ninja:

This is extremely relevant to my interests in 2 weeks.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

What’s everyone spending on hotels, food and rental cars?

It's pretty flexible. Hotel is whatever is at the conference center or near the customer. Meals under 25 I don't have to expense, and never had issues with anything over (though I've never gone crazy (greater than $75) with that. And just Lyft for all car travel as I'm almost always on a single site all day.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Charles De Gaul seems nice. First experience but I'm a fan

CDG's announcement tone always kind of wierded me out though. It sounds like a ghost to me, just something about it would always bother me. https://youtu.be/0Dxh_Vxq_40

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Lote posted:

I’m looking at you Japan Airlines. They do a good job recreating the onsen experience.

I avoid JAL at all costs after having the most miserable flight of my life while sweating profusely at 35,000 feet for 8 hours. Never again.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

psydude posted:

I'm partial to the AA flagship lounge at JFK, although the one at ORD is indeed nice.

JAL first class lounge at HND is tied with the Cathay lounge at HKG for my favorite.

The Cathy first class lounge at HKG blew my drat mind. I still can't believe that the best bath of my life and one of my favorite meals ever was at an airport. The flight isn't worth the points over business but the lounge still makes me consider it again even after the devaluation.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Barry posted:

Yeah just change to one of the Freedom cards and you're in business.

Should point out though that you can't transfer points to partners if you only have either of the Freedom cards.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I've got Business and first class reward flights all over Asia for June for my honeymoon. Nothing in mainland China at least, but transitioning through Hong Kong. So I'm really hoping things are better before I have to make a decision and probably lose those flights. Get it together China!

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

Congrats! Will this be your first time up front? My wife and I have done Cathay, Korean, ANA, and EVA premium classes on a few different trips and it's so much fun.

I've been lucky enough to do Cathay business and first already, and for this trip we have Singapore Air business class for hopping between cities, and then I'm most looking forward to JAL first on the way back. I had to plan 331 days ahead of time at 2 in the morning to snag that flight so it'll suck to miss out now, but dying sucks even more... so it is what it is. We'll see how it is in May, hopefully the number of infected starts to go down instead of increasing every day like it is currently.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I'm curious when other countries are going to start banning travel from the US given we have so many cases and our ineptness at testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
People are renting U-haul trucks in Hawaii because of the rental car shortages.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/25/us/hawaii-u-haul-tourist-rental-trnd/index.html