Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just ordered a D7000. I've recently started work in the Audio Visual department at my work and have been asked to do a lot of still photography (while being trained in video work and editing on Macs). My D90 has been doing a good enough job with an old SB-24 flash, but I've been hankering over the upgrade for some months now.

I took a sizeable pay cut (from mainframe support shift work) to this job, but have never been happier.

edit Any recommendations for memory card spec? I was looking at a pair of SanDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-I or SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I 16GB for each. Will be taking advantage of the video recording as well as normal photography.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

evil_bunnY posted:

All modern nikons come with smart chargers: when the battery's full they just stop charging (the LED will be on solid instead of blinking).
They also charge fast.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

geetee posted:

Pulled the trigger on a D600 and 50mm 1.4; upgrading from a D40.
That's a very good step up. My D7000 body should arrive Monday afternoon. My D90 has a Gorilla Glass LCD cover and I want one for the D7000, any particular type to go for, stick on or clip on?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Kazy posted:

Nikon D7100 this March, $1200, no AA filter, 24MP, stereo mic.

I want one :allears:
Bah, happy with my D7000, especially as the D7100 will be roughly twice the price of what I paid for the D7000.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

SoundMonkey posted:

From what I've seen the 55-200 is slightly less of a shitheap than the 55-300 but it's a close race.

I'd probably go with the Tamron.
Bought a non VR 55-200mm for £50 and though it was crap, especially for wildlife, so spent £300 on a 300mm f/4 instead, which in hindsight doesn't make much sense, but PRIMES!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Musket posted:

Ive done this, its fun. but remember your stuck at your min aperture, so for me its f/22 on my 50mm f2 AI. get plenty of light.

You could get an AIS or Series E 50mm, manual aperture ring.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BonoMan posted:

Ever since we've had our first kid, my wife has been using my D600 for taking pics of her. She actually has an affinity for photography it turns out (and is in a sort of "what do I want to do with myself?" crossroads) and our anniversary is next weekend. I'd love to get her a starter DSLR. She likes my camera, and I'm not stingy with it, but she just is always afraid she's going to break it or something.

Is the D3200 the go to still?

Keep the D600 and buy her a D610.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 17, 2014

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

My office is going to order a Nikon DSLR for stills and video (1080 25p) work. I've suggested the D5300 (with the swivel LCD), but the boss is looking at the D7100 (in-camera AF motor). We use JVC GY-HM600E (& older DV-CAM cameras) as well as a Sony F5, but looking to setup a small, lightweight rig as well. Three people in the office shoot Nikon, so there's plenty of lenses to borrow. Any opinions on which to go with?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Yes, I have one that I've toyed around with on my D7000 and a 105mm f4 lens. I should break mine out and toy around with marco stuff while i'm waiting for hyper-winter to end.

Keys by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Do it. Here's my Tokina 90mm with a set of manual extension tubes*:

* plus SB600 with Rayflash for diffused light.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

VelociBacon posted:

How many shots are stacked in this? Or did you manage to get this without focus stacking?

Single shot as the little buggers were moving so fast what with the small amount of pear tree in the viewfinder. Plus, the depth of field was so shallow, if the camera was focussed on the tree the ant body was out of focus. And finally that's an 87.5% crop. Everything was set to manual and this was the best out of 70 or so photos (most of those with only a part of an ant scurrying through).

I have an 85mm f/1.8 D that's a real nice piece of glass. Don't get enough time to use it when taking portraits at work (28-105mm for run and gun, instead).

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wild EEPROM posted:

24-85 f2.8-4D sounds like it's what you need. It has an aperture ring.
24-85 f3.5-4.5g without IS, or with IS: It's okay. It's not super, though.

Just make sure to skip the 24-120 f3.5-5.6g.

I picked up a cheap but mint 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D AF which has turned into my go-to lens for my D7000. Haven't used it with video though.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wild EEPROM posted:

They're all at used d7000/7100 prices, and with a 7000/7100 you get a second command dial, the ability to autofocus D lenses, 100% viewfinder, a beefier body, etc.

Yes. We have a D5300 at work for stills and 1080p video, which is great, but my D7000 is far easier to use as a stills camera and the in-body focus motor means I can use far more older AF lenses.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

powderific posted:

I like the range of my 24-120 on full frame. The classic 24-70 zoom range always seems a bit too short on the long end.

I picked up a cheap 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5, and while not being the fastest lens, it is my general walkabout one. Also does 1:2 macro which is a bonus.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nikon set to unleash AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ika posted:

This probably isn't the best place to ask, so I apologize for cluttering up the thread, but can someone let me know if they ever bought from tronix LTD (UK). They have several thousand feedback on ebay, seem to be officially listed in the UK, and the only thing making me slightly suspicious is I can't find them on any UK price comparison website.

Other stores in the UK seem to occasionally offer similar prices, but they still are really cheap which makes me suspicious. Or maybe they drop ship from these tax free havens like play.co.uk does.
I bought my Nikon D7000 from a company like DigitalRev called [url=http://panamoz.com/[/url] and the service and price was second to none. Friend of mine also bought his D800E through them as well and again no problems with the order or customs . My workplace recently bought a Nikon D5300 + 18-140mm lens for stills and video. I did spec out the D5500, but there wasn't that much of an improvement (photo & video wise) over the D5300, so we didn't go with the D5500.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Moon Potato posted:

Having gone from the D90 to the D800, the placement of the ISO button annoys the gently caress out of me. Other than that, my experience with the interface has been great.
Friend of mine bought a D800E, but couldn't get on with it, so sold it and bought a D750 instead. A much better all round camera for him.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Kenshin posted:

If you were choosing between the D810 and the D750 I'd tell you to go for the D810, but you should get the D750.

Friend of mine bought the D800E and never really got on with it (the huge file sizes made his Mac Pro practically grind to a halt, for one thing) and would more often than not use his D700 instead. So he sold the D800, bought the D750 and loves it.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

GrAviTy84 posted:

I was recently gifted a D700 but all my glass (save soundmonkey's old 85 1.8D) are dx. Looking for a cheapo zoom to cover kit duty until I can afford better glass. Any opinions on the 24-120mm 3.5-5.6D vs the 28-85mm 3.5-4.5D? The latter is closer to my kit 18-55 vr but the extra range on the former could be useful. I suppose I could use the 18-55 vr in crop mode but idk I wanna buy a thing but don't have a ton of money atm

I use a Nikon AF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D cheaply for my walkabout lens. FX lens, even has a useful macro setting.
Ken Rockwell even likes it.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

dakana posted:

I'm fairly well-invested into Canon, but goddamn if I could snap my fingers and switch all of my gear over to Nikon equivalents I'd do it in a heartbeat. The new D850 is nuts.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/1585/d850.html

The Nikon D850 Doubles as a 35mm 45.7MP Film Scanner.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Yeast posted:

If you're shooting at a weird angle and not looking through the viewfinder, (eg top down) an audio indication can be helpful I've found.

Would be nice if you could upload your own audio clip. I'd go with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKk48HGMcI

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Fabulousity posted:

3. I remember a billion years ago you could send DSLRs like the D40 somewhere to have built in filters removed making them much more useful for infrared photography. Is that that still a thing?

Yup, www.lifepixel.com

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Didn't realize Amazon were closing DPReview. It was my go-to website for new lenses and bodies when I was starting out, but haven't visited it for a while now.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/21/23650286/amazon-dpreview-camera-site-shutdown-layoffs

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

frumpykvetchbot posted:

I'm getting a full spectrum infrared conversion done to my D4S by LifePixel. Thinking about the 590nm filter. Talk me out of it.

Do it. I started shooting IR with a Nikon CoolPix 950 and a Harrison & Harrison 89B filter.

Great fun.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

frumpykvetchbot posted:

BTW. OG 1999 coolpix 950 or the P950 modern one?

Did pick up a higher spec CP990 later on (for pennies when technology had moved on), but that's not as sensitive as the CP950. Was originally looking for a Minolta Dimage 7 for digital IR, but second hand prices were ridiculous in the early 2000's even when it had been superceded by two newer models. Then a 'boxed as new' CP950 turned up.

Only 2.1mp, but great fun (still in a box somewhere).

When I get my health and finances sorted out I'll get a new Nikon DSLR converted by LifePixel.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mega Comrade posted:

Ok the Nikon DF is actually more than just a z6ii in a different body.

You mean Nikon Zf?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

All Nikon F-mount products are out of production:

https://nikonrumors.com/2024/01/24/all-nikon-f-mount-products-are-out-of-production.aspx/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

NASA picks the Z9 to go to the Moon in 2026

https://petapixel.com/2024/02/29/the-nikon-z9-is-the-camera-of-choice-for-humanitys-return-to-the-moon/