Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dr Pepper posted:

I love this game.

Also, here's a guy who's gotten every star. :smug:

My condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

asymmetrical posted:

Ugh does the sky-skybox stick around? I was hoping maybe as we progressed the levels would move deeper into space... That's really upsetting to me.

The sky changes per galaxy. Heck, sometimes the sky changes per-planet, within a galaxy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

beep by grandpa posted:

Does this game require you to collect the little star chunks throughout the game? Like, do they gate you with it? If so, how badly?

I ask because they look kind of annoying to pick up and I won't if I don't have to, and I don't think their use has been covered so far other than throwing them at dudes.

I also ask because I just bought this game because of this LP!

The local GameStop had only one copy, used, and it didn't have the case so I was like cya later shitlords, walked down the strip to Target and got it brand new for $50 :tipshat:

Thanks, 'betus!

It's really not at all hard to grab star bits.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

A jargogle posted:

I found having cutscenes more than 10 seconds long break up my gameplay annoying, because I find it utterly impossible to take a story seriously in mario (if it was written like a comedy I might have, but it was a little too serious for a universe involving force-fed starpeople). Stuff like the storybook which was optional I was a-ok with though.

And I will weep when Miyamoto steps down. WEEP.

Have you played Paper Mario?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SaberToothedPie posted:

Cosmic Cove Galaxy has a doomsday device on the planet for some reason, and Mario just casually ground pounds on it to destroy millions of sear creatures.

Well, to be fair, the water isn't frozen solid. Just the surface. It's more like dozens of dead sea creatures.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Z button is the button nobody tested. You can cancel pretty much all actions with it, and you can break the game with it. Like, if you mash Z when you have fireballs, this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DG0TCgwGk

You throw a fireball? :confused: What's the big deal?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

beep by grandpa posted:

Based on language that's been used in Diabetus' actual videos by him and his commentators for future things it's probably best to not post things like that.

That's a place where Diabeetus has already been.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I replayed Super Mario 64 DS on a 3DS, and the analog stick really works wonders.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Mario is clearly on the yellow block, as evidenced by the settling dust!

I wish you better luck in your run.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

He turned the toads into bricks, then used the bricks to build floating blocks. Simple.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I vote for Beetus + Beef + random. I also think that one of the episodes should be a massive clusterfuck with 15 guests at the same time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pungry posted:

That was the funniest video in the entire LP though. Except for maybe the one with A Wooden Palisade and Ambisagrus, and one of the people told that story about a senior slapping them in the rear end while naked with a towel and calling them gay.

Explain. Now. I need to know

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Slowbeef posted:

gently caress anyone who is a subscriber to Diabeetus.

Looks like someone just lost himself a subscriber. :colbert:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Zuzie posted:

Supermassive Galaxy is also the level where lives become meaningless.

Oh yeah! Diabeetus, will you show this off?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Glazius posted:

I'm surprised that water doesn't put out Speed Yoshi. Then again, it doesn't really do much when you've been hot peppered, does it?

Capsaicin (the active ingredient in most if not all hot peppers) is an oil-like compound, making water ineffective. You're better off using something oil-based to wash it out such as vegetable oil. Casein is also a good detergent for it, making cold milk a much more effective and appetizing alternative.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Agent355 posted:

And if you gave the pepper power up to squawks from donkey kong it would have no effect. As bids do not have Capsaicin receptors. :eng101:

That's a big part of why spicy peppers thrive in the first place! More specifically, a part of why the attribute of spiciness is favored by natural selection. Using capsaicin to ward off non-avian animals makes it more likely that birds will eat the the peppers and poop out the seeds within. Birds do a lot more travelling a lot quicker than most other animals and that makes them ideal for spreading your progeny. If you're a plant anyway.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rocketlex posted:

Just shows how insane humans are that we now seek out vegetables that have specifically evolved for us not to eat them.

We breed 'em hotter! :haw:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The thing about nature is that it all comes back around to poop. We call it the circle of life because it helps us avoid facing the fact that we will all be poop one day, and also everything that we eat was poop once.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What Diabeetus didn't show off is that once the timer in the speed run levels goes under 10 seconds, the bomb collar fastened around Mario's neck begins to beep louder and louder with each passing second.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

withheldmcfakename posted:

What, being the main villain of Mario DDR isn't enough for you?

The realest of Mario games. It also had Waluigi!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Neruz posted:

Which cutscene is that? I don't remember Kirby doing anything that amazing?

This cutscene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKHQXuXE8qc

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I like how all the power ups that are exclusive to the Galaxy series get almost no response from Lubba but a fire flower is absolutely amazing to him.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What were you expecting when you clicked on LP&D?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PrinceRandom posted:

Daisy is already being surpassed by another blonde just like God intended.

Blonde Supremacy for evah.

Daisy was never in smash bros. I can't really think of any ability she would have to differentiate her from peach. Other than maybe shooting lasers out of that third eye.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nihilarian posted:

To be fair, I'd totally play her if she canonically shot lasers out of her third eye.

"Hi, I'm Daisy!" *Tree in background bursts into flame* "Oops! Hee hee!"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It looks like Rosalina's gameplay in SSB is mainly going to revolve around summoning lumas and using them as a second character. Desynching the Ice Climbers and using them to attack off the heels of the other's hits was a popular strategy among competitive Brawl players, so that should be pretty interesting. Also the reveal trailer featured her bending squirtle's water jet around her, so you can count on a couple of cool space-type moves.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Neruz posted:

Dark Souls lacks the abilities to unlock; sure you can buy spells and stuff which are nice but they're totally optional and mostly different variations on 'shoot thing wot kills dudes'. Dark Souls is a brilliant game but it's not the same kind of 'adventure' that Banjo-Kazooie is and certainly doesn't hit the same notes.

Like at no point in Dark Souls did I open a chest, get a new thing I could do and then go "Oh poo poo now I know what all those wierd things I kept seeing are for."

I recently finished Batman: Arkham asylum and it seems to fit the bill, strange though it may sound. First you get the explosive gel which allows you to break through fragile walls. Then you get the batclaw which lets you pull down vents that are above ground level, and so on.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 20, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Carbon dioxide posted:

So why aren't the stars enormous spherical things?

Also, if Mario Luigi is collecting all the stars, what are all those planets orbiting?

Black holes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If you could live as many lives as you wanted and never had to die permanently unless you desired to do so, but you had to buy and operate a fax machine for your house in order to do it, would you? I dunno if I would want to buy a fax machine that I'd only use for one thing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Diabeetus, consider this new paradigm. How about a pun in which you replace the word "face" with the word "space". Too radical?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

This thread has turned hollow. They all turn hollow, eventually.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Babeef.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Why are there water skimmers skimming the floor of the throwback galaxy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If you hadn't gotten hit during the no jumping challenge, could you have burned your butt and bounced into the star?

• Locked thread