Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Well, personally I'm lurking until goon views are posted on Friday. I'm sure there's a couple of others doing that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Seems like it's pretty glitchy. Is it still enjoyable regardless?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Man I suck at the fishing minigame. I have gotten exactly one fish.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Any fishing hints? I'm real bad at it, both using the mouse and controller.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Chantilly Say posted:

Where do I get a Bream

Also what is a Bream???

It's a fish you can catch in the forest.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Princey posted:

Does anybody know how to plant or place things when using a controller? KB+M controls are great, but I like laying back while I play. Everything works just fine with the controller, except when I tried to put down a chest or plant my bean poles, I had to grab my mouse to do it. I feel like I'm missing something.

It's A to plant, not Y.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

When is Marnie actually open because I'm in her shop during opening hours and she's just standing around in her bedroom, not letting me buy chickens.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Revol posted:

I imagine there is a sign outside her door, maybe you came during her day off?

She's open "most days".

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Turns out emo kid is a programmer, so he's only kinda a shut in.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You can enter people's rooms at 2 hearts, so it's not too long.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

senae posted:

I'm trapped in the eternal luau. I've talked to everyone and tossed some grapes into the pot, but I can't seem to end the day??? Am I missing something or should I alt+f4 and give it another shot?

Did you talk to the Mayor? In the other festivals, talking to him activates the events and ends the festival.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Music Theory posted:

How do gates work? No matter what I do they just act like posts.

You build the fence and then place the gate on top.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zoe posted:

Okay, two issues.

1.) are the seeds from the community center awards bugged or what? I've gotten both spring and summer and couldn't get either to grow.

2.) It's summer already where is my kitty???

The Wild Seeds have an extra day as seed sprites.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Shirec posted:

How do you move some placed objects like the furnace or chest? I accidentally placed them in bad spots

I'm not sure how to do it with a controller, but left click picks them up.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

There are certain things that everyone likes; this includes all veggies and minerals.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

nah, some people distinctly don't enjoy certain crops and the like. in fact, abigail seems to be pretty confused by most food gifts.

The wiki lied to me.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

dmboogie posted:

I paid to upgrade my watering can, but I forgot that I wouldn't have it for the next days.

All my crops are gonna die, aren't they? :ohdear: I guess I can reload my save.

That's why I did mine at the end of the month. Missed the first day of planting, but got the most out of my Spring seeds.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The 8x8 sprinklers unlock at Farming level 6. Personally I haven't had to use them. With an upgraded watering can, I can take care of 7 9x9 fields fine by hand and have plenty of time for fishing and mining.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Fall 9th, Year 1, 17 hours played. Someone help me I can't stop. Also I have a weird glitch where my game won't launch in fullscreen; I have to mess with the options a bunch on startup.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

When you get a marriage candidate up to 8 hearts, Pierre starts selling a Bouquet in his shop that allows you to start dating. Seems they accept it at 8 hearts too.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gibbo posted:

I'm just dying to know what creepy old sailor in the rain is trying to sell me

Also I did restart, and this time when I hit level 1 farming I didn't learn the scarecrow recipe. I wonder if that's related to the change. gently caress.

It's the equivalent of the Blue Feather.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

NaDy posted:

Anyone playing this with a steam controller who's got a good config? I've been playing with M+KB so far and would love to chill out with a controller. Game's so good though. Just sat at work planning what crops I'm gonna grow when autumn comes and which animals to buy. :3:

With the exception of rearranging stuff in my house, which I use the mouse for because moving the cursor with the right analog stick is annoying, the default set up is fine.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Aw, I was hoping that the upgrades would start watering over a square area instead of longer lines.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ever since the last patch, I've had the A button randomly stop working every once and a while until I use right-click on my mouse to do stuff. After that, the A button starts working again.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

So is it possible to get a single to gain 10 hearts without giving them the flowers?

I want to sample a bit of everyone before settling down.

Yes, you're just on the befriending stage and probably won't see any romantic scenes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Indecisive posted:

Does grass die in the winter? I've been assuming it does but haven't seen anyone mention it yet. Got a pretty sizable self-sustaining field growing, want to know if I should stuff it all in the silo before the end of fall.

Yes. Anything growing other than trees in winter immediately becomes covered with snow and disappears.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I feel like watering crops is pretty obvious in a farming RPG that hands you a watering can on the first day.

Oberleutnant posted:

Yo is this like the good HM games (like BTN) where tie stops when you're in a building, or like the bad ones where it runs constantly?
I really liked old HM games but when I'm playing a game like this I just wanna chill sometimes and not always be on the clock, so going down the mines was a cool way to relax.

It's always running, which sucks.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

insanityv2 posted:

wtf is up with the dwarf? I can't understand him.
You probably need the dwarfish translation guide. I got it as a reward for donating all the dward scrolls, which are random monster drops.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

LibbyM posted:

Where do you actually build a silo anyway? A lot of people advising to build one before a chicken coop, but the carpenter only has upgrade house or chicken coop, and it's not in my crating menu far as I can tell.

There's arrows in the Farm upgrades section at the carpenter that you use to get to other buildings.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

LibbyM posted:

I'm right in thinking there is no way to move my storage chests without taking every single item out of them first right? The usual pickaxe doesn't work on them.

Yes, you have to empty them and then hit with a pickax to move them.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm mostly curious about restarting my grass once Spring hits again. I'm guessing I'm going to have to keep my animals in for another season if I want to maintain grass inside their pens.

One thing Harvest Moon has over this is quickly regrowing grass. I believe that in the GBA days it only took two days for a grass tile to go from short to fully grown again, and animals did not completely consume grass tiles.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I threw in a suggestion to make grass growth faster or at least make animals not completely destroy grass when they eat it, like in Harvest Moon. I always enjoy keeping a ton of animals in these games, which is why I'm sad it's not really viable.

Johnny Joestar posted:

as someone who lives in the south it's a very fitting noise during the summer. i also like the pseudo-deserty music going on during that season! so far the majority of the soundwork has been great.

Yeah, mosquitoes are loving everywhere, so I felt right at home.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

What do I have to do in order to start that Bundle thing? I've already seen the Community Center in all its glory disrepair. Also, is there any reason to carry a scythe around when I can go Zelda on the grass and bushes with a sword that doesn't cost energy to swing?

When you build a silo, only the scythe turns grass to hay.

You want every piece of hay you can get.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm at the start of my first summer and got my first chicken. Anything I need to know about chicken breeding apart from "have more than one"?

You'll get a letter from someone in a day or two.

You need the upgraded coop first. Then you can just place an egg on the incubator and get more.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, does that mean I won't get eggs either? Then what's the point of the basic coop?

Your chicken will lay by all her lonesome. There's no male animals in the game except for male slimes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

How does this game control? Can I use a gamepad?

Either WASD plus left and right mouse click or a gamepad. I play with a gamepad personally and it works well.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Found my first Rabbit's Foot as a random drop from an enemy at level 30+ of the desert mines. So if anyone is looking for that, there's a lead at least.

I think once you can keep rabbits they may drop Rabbit's Foot.

I'm not entirely sure how that works.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

The shop sells sap for 2g but only ever a single one each restock. I want to make fertilizer goddammit and he can't even sell enough for one

Cut down some trees or fight some slimes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

What's the point of the Luau anyway? I threw in a gold star Lava Eel, and the Governor said it was the best soup he had ever tasted, but then nothing happened.

If it's anything like Harvest Moon, it would increase your affection with the town.

But I never noticed a change so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Roberto_Silencio posted:

I play with a 360 controller too and have the occasional problem of the A button simply not working sometimes. I've been able to solve it without exiting the game by hitting start to pull up the menu then just exiting the menu. Give that a try, it might help

Using the right click to do the action also fixes it. (i.e. The click does the action and then my A button starts working again.)