Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

those fuckers in pink can stay out, green areas rejoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Backrooms belong to France and are therefore a part of the EU despite not existing in the same spatial or temporal reality as Europe.

Turning a corner in a maze of never-ending corridors to find a disaffected Parisian smoking at a table who absolutely refuses to talk to you.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

seppo is short for septic tank, which is rhyming slang for yank, short for yankee, so calling a southerner a seppo is an instant two hit combo, or it would be if they understood it at all.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well I can spot one move that isn't on the map. Anyone who knows maps can tell me how many others?

Auckland was officially the capital of New Zealand in 1841, changed to Wellington in 1865

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I thought Cascadia extended into Canada?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They tried to do a Morlock to Dutch speakers??

idiots, they'll never go for that. they should have built artificial fens.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Should've let the Germans dam the med

:sickos:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

alnilam posted:

Yeah I've seen so many grocery store conversations online where people just have no idea that other people have never heard of the store they're posting about.

Grocery chains are highly regional, but because they're such an unremarkable part of everyone's life, I think people tend to assume their own locally dominant chain is some kind of universal experience.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

coop, there it is

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I feel like coke usage in the UK is probably highest among people in their 40s so this map might actually be making us look better than we are.

I'd like to see a regional heat map. The City Of London burning like a dark star.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

just imagine that there are several versions of English that sound like Boomhauer from King of the Hill (but worse) to outsiders, and that all of these accents are less than a hour's drive from each other.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

According to people who study the language professionally, the closest you get to English as it was spoken during the time of Shakespeare is West Virginian hillbillies.

That's not actually true.

EDIT: unless West Virginian hillbillies sounded like they're from Somerset

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Virginia yes, West no, hills no. Weird lil island. There's a couple weird island linguistic enclaves on the east coast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E

You can hear a lot of West Country in that accent, crazy. I wonder how much of that still exists.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

distortion park posted:

User reported sightings of Great Tits in the wild

this looks like a map in a badly written post apocalyptic cyberpunk book showing the extent of "the incident"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

DTurtle posted:

Indeed: Guess the legend.

When people get paid? So weekly, monthly, uhhhh.... quarterly ?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

oof

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I propose a six‐day week.

It’s not a loving prime number like seven.

It multiplies closer the lunar cycle of twenty‐nine and a half days.

It annoys like four billion people worldwide who follow Abrahamic religions.

We’re keeping the two‐day weekend and cutting the workweek to four days.

6 day week, 10 months of 6 weeks each. The five days at the end are a holiday, six on leap years.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

What is with the Franco–Deutsch obsession with the number ten?

It’s twelve months of five weeks each, plus the leap week.

Ten means we can just remove the Vanity months, and the month names will make sense again.

But sure, 5 week months is fine too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

We should do Arcologies.

A city that is just one huge building.

May I interest you in the Minnesota Experimental City?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

bring bank norange.

orange can still be the colour tho.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

why is California allied with Texas though

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

There are more Trump voters in California than Texas, more Biden voters in Texas than New York, more Trump voters in New York than Ohio, more Biden voters in Ohio than Massachusetts, more Trump voters in Massachusetts than Mississippi, and more Biden voters in Mississippi than Vermont.[/spoiler]

Meaningless without percentages, since there are more people in California than there are in Texas, more people in Texas than there are in New York, etc etc. The only place the pattern doesn't hold is New York (8.3 million) vs Ohio (11.76 million).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

No it means exactly what it means, there are a shitload of people voting the other way in states that otherwise show as solid one color who are only circumstantially unrepresented in the current balance. You can't just disregard millions of people existing indefinitely. A little shifting around could wildly change all your preconceived expectations.

I don't want a solid colour, I want a pie graph or similar. Like yeah, there are a shitload of people voting the other way in states where there are a shitload of people because that's how it works. It's like saying "did you know that more people in Greater London voted for Brexit than did in North East England? makes you think!"

Greater London has a population of ~5.4 million compared to NE England's ~1.9 million. ~1.5 million voted Leave in London compared to ~778 thousand in NE England. The Leave percentages were 40.07% and 58.04% respectively, which is a much more meaningful metric

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 3, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

alnilam posted:

It does make you think though. In the US, there's a real phenomenon where people tend to look at a map and see e.g. state is red = irredeemable shithole full of chuds (or vice versa). The whole point of that raw numbers view is: if you're a chud in Texas and you think CA is a commie hellhole where you dare not tread, you're ignoring that there are actually more chuds total in that state than in your own.

Yeah, those block colours are misleading for sure. I think heat-map style maps are more useful in that regard, since it tells a more nuanced story.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

imo it's important to not have your political capital and economic capital be the same city

see: Sydney, Camberra. Wellington, Auckland. Washington, NYC, etc.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

All cities are primate cities, aren't they? I mean unless the dolphins have gotten up to something I haven't heard about, only humans have cities.

someone hasn't heard about Octopolis and Octlantis.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Some of them got a little lazy and forgot to remove the Union Jack from their flags.

can't believe Laser Kiwi didn't win the referendum

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It'd be a bit odd if there was a knife edge at the Tweed and everyone on one side was wearing full highland dress and everyone on the other side was dressed like Churchill and doing street violence while drunk.

Everyone in this scenario would be doing street violence while drunk

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I think you can probably blame the british empire for that one.

they had a revolution, they can take the blame themselves :colbert:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Desktop, Mainframe, Clockwork, Doorway, Highway, Roadside, Carpark, Bookshelf, Brakepad, Smokescreen, Haircut, Firefly, Sweatshirt, Airport, Seawall...

Obtuse, rubber goose, green moose, guava juice
Giant snake, birthday cake, large fries, chocolate shake!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

what

I was into this as an alternate history thing, but what are the great lakes doing there

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

It is politically-loaded because the historic orange/white/blue flag was "claimed" by the Dutch nazi party during WW2 and it is nowadays still only used by far-right chuds who would like to bring back colonialism and slavery.

which is annoying, because it's a more distinctive tricolour than the current flag.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I guess if you move to Florida to retire, at least you might die before the whole state slides into the sea.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

what could go wrong with rapidly increasing the population of a state directly in the front line of climate change?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah in Seattle it's less "it rains" and more "it is ALWAYS raining".

Very hard to find a map of rainfall that is measured in time rather than inches/centimeters, but here's one for cloudcover:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

a lot of the NZ climate is a bit like the UK but slightly warmer, the real problem is that the housing quality is absolute dogshit and it's only recently that concepts like "decent heating", "insulation", and "some form of air conditioning" have become popular.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

jeebus bob posted:

I have it on good authority that most houses in the UK are also quite poo poo

the UK knows about things like "double glazing" and "heating" which might as well have been quantum mechanics in NZ for a long time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Private Speech posted:

The double glazing thing is news to me, living in a brick house refurbished about ten years ago.

Sash windows FTW (not really lmao, they suck rear end, are a pain to open after painting and let through a ton of heat).

e: In fact I never lived in a UK house with double glazed windows, or AC, or wall insulation for that matter. Well except for student housing, but that doesn't count.

AC no, but even the lovely flats I've lived in have been double glazed. IDK about wall insulation but row houses have the advantage of generally being bracketed on each side by other houses.

That's in London tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

How did this country colonize a quarter of the planet?

It was the style at the time