Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Nintendo Kid posted:

As a matter of fact a lot of the closed off areas there are pretty poor or minority heavy, which is why its funny that people are acting like it's gonna exclude all the minorities

I believe Philly has the highest poverty rate of any big city in the U.S.

EDIT: Yep. http://articles.philly.com/2014-09-26/news/54322611_1_deep-poverty-poverty-line-south-philadelphia

2nd EDIT: Since we're in the map thread...

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Because making $14K per year versus $50K per year will still put you in about the same economic class. :wtc:

I just post the maps, bud. It was an interactive map I screenshoted. The actual page let's you click on the zip codes for more data. Here: http://www.philly.com/philly/infographics/medianincome.html

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 27, 2015

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

OptimusShr posted:

Living in MA that was going to be me guess too.

Not surprised by the reality though. Vegetation is all around here.

Not just vegetation. Turf grass: better known as lawns. As his second map showed It's essentially a population density map hidden because they used state borders exclusively.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody wants to have sex with West Virginians.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1202942402182500352

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Like most French regions that aren't Paris, no one lives in Burgundy, and this is another populationdensity.jpg map (except Brittany I guess)

The Belgian and Italian borders are far redder than Paris though

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

innocent Flemings

There's no such thing

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Kissing number and order is incredibly important to be on the same page on. I had a friend from a two cheek kiss culture take an uber ride with a Mexican dude which is a one cheek kiss culture and they did end up accidentally kissing on the lips.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The Chinese could use the same playbook the Russians did in Ukraine, and Georgia both comparable nations to a nuclear power with the worlds second most powerful military.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

Basically any nation with enough cash up front, and easy access to the Atlantic tried their hand at the colonization game.

And without cash up front as with Scotland

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And sometimes there was plenty of cash, but there wasn't even a colony. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_MacGregor#Poyais_scheme

The mosquito kingdom ruled just beacuse it was the british letting the mosquito people do whatever as long as they promised to gently caress with the spanish as much as possible.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I live in South Philly and I love how we have a grid but it's made intentionally confusing to keep residential streets free from traffic. I think it's absolutely genius it has all the road design of a suburban area with arterials and subdivisions but packed in tight. And it fosters bike and pedestrian traffic because those travellers can just ignore the one ways.

I remember reading about a bunch of insane drama with y'alls byzantine parking permit system

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

What region does the upper peninsula belong to? Who can say.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

There was no "state" in the Sabine free state which was the point. Both Spain and the US claimed it and because neither side was willing to go to war for it they had a gentleman's agreement to not have soldiers or government officials in that land.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

MinisterSinister posted:

I'm surprised Indiana is listed as hating Kentucky more than Illinois. We loving despise Illinois in my part of the state, but have no particular beef with Kentucky and generally have high opinions of Michigan and Ohio.

I don't know why Kentucky is listed as hating Tennessee. No one here gives a poo poo about it. Indiana is the state everyone absolutely despises.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Where is the bit between Qing and now with a bunch of warlords?

The Qing collapsed in 1912-ish. The PRC was established at 1948-ish. The 35 years in between featured both a civil war between the PRC and the ROC as well as innumerable generals, warlords, and mafia bosses who controlled slices of territory.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

It also takes the Netanyahu annexation plan where the West Bank no longer gets to have the West Bank

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

HookShot posted:

Well drat, being able to tunnel under another country's territory and claim it as your own is a game changer.

Now we're infringing on the sovereignty of the mole people. When will it end?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Saladman posted:

Wasn’t there some Russian orthodox sect in the 1600-1800s that was even more extreme, to the extent that the truly good people in the community would literally castrate themselves? Anyone know what I’m talking about? I can’t find it in a quick phone-typing google search.

That was Athanasius

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I enjoy Two Great States! The country whose name is a marketing campaign. I also like the impenetrable no-man's-land that is East Tennessee.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Wow I appreciate that someone has tried to do this but yeah, I polygon selected my city of about 400k and it told me 1.8 million...

1.8 million seems to be the default for anywhere it doesn't have sufficient information for.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

What is Schleswig-Holstein? We just don't know

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Most Indian Christians are Goan.

What about Kerala and the North-eastern states?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Agreed. The moment you expand on the canon, you're starting something new.

Thus standard would mean that Mahayana Buddhism is a completely separate religion from Theravada Buddhism

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I never thought about it but it would make perfect sense for Buddhism to also have that thing where each denomination considers all other denominations to be Not True Buddhism

Actually no denomination is true buddhism because true buddhism is completely beyond words or human language. The denominations are merely imperfect methods to achieve true buddhism. :eng101:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Kennel posted:

Awww... for a moment I thought that all yellow countries were (for some bizarre reason) using the same language.
Russian sign language and American Sign Language are both forms of French sign language which is why theyre called clusters instead of families. The founder of deaf education in the US was a French immigrant named Galludet who combined the FSL of his homeland with the sign language of marthas Vineyard which had a very large deaf population due to inbreeding

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Theres an isolated community of bedouins in the Negev that have a very large percentage of deaf people thats started spontaneously developing its own sign language among deaf children because its so isolated from population centers that israeli and palestinian sign language never spread there. Like half the towns linguists and anthropologists studying them because its the only way to observe the development of language that doesnt involve human rights abuses.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Elyv posted:

this might be the first "Dutch bad" map I've seen

Ill see if I can find some maps for colonial indonesia for you

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

the finnish language must be preserved in order to maintain our global supply of interesting swear words. for this same reason i maintain that the the académie française and the office québécois de la langue française should remain bitter enemies

Thats easy. Anytime it looks like they're about to patch things up just start a debate on the Simpsons dubs.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Saladman posted:

Now I really want to watch both dub versions of the "Bart goes to France" episode. Oh, the Quebec dub is in joual? Huh, I probably would barely understand anything then. Now I’m even more curious.

The France-French Disney songs also get Quebecois all ruffled up, like there’s an alternate dimension of their childhood memories. Now I wonder when Australia will demand their own Disney dubs.

That episode just has Bart speak Joual and the Frenchman speak normal Euro French and they are both incapable of understanding each other.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Grape posted:

Doesn't correlate well with East Kentucky and WV for some reason.

The mountains are some horseshoe theory where its so isolated people are already used to getting their grocery shopping done in one huge rear end trip.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

I will die before I accept any flag based on that godawful Ohio pennant as the flag of the glorious Pact of Steel.

Also, why is Kentucky in our Great Lakes alliance? Their impure southern ways have no place among us.

Change one word and it becomes high intensity French poo poo.

A. Kentucky is really divided between 3 different regions and while the western and southern parts are culturally southern, and the east is culturally Appalachian, the central bluegrass region bordering Indiana and Ohio which is culturally Midwestern possesses 52% of the state's population and 2/3rds of its economic output.

B. Kentucky's three biggest metro areas are Louisville, Lexington, and the Cincinnati surburbs. Two of those cross state lines into Indiana and Ohio

C. Cincinatti's airport is located in Kentucky.

D. The map is based on Coronavirus pacts and the pact was actually started by Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana for reasons B and C with the rest of the Midwest asking to join soon after.

E. Kentucky's membership gives the pact complete control over the majestic Ohio river allowing us to choke off Pittsburgh from the outside world and liberate it from the heathen Pennsylvanians as it was always rightfully ours.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

What's the story behind the extreme balkanization of central america? Some sort of Spanish colonial thing of just awful infrastructure in the inland hills?

Central America didn't declare its independence from Spain, it declared it from Mexico. Central America had a similar thing going on as pre-Civil War US where most Central Americans considered themselves citizens of their state first. Central America declared its independence together rather than individually because it expected Mexico with its much larger army would try to reconquer the territory and they needed to stick together. But that never happened, Mexico became mired in political instability regime change and infighting at the same time Central America declared its independence and never sought to reannex the country because it was too focused on its internal divisons. Without a powerful dangerous enemy to unite behind Central America had no reason to cooperate and stick together and dissolved along regional lines.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite part of Latin American history is that immediately after the American revolution one of the Spanish King's advisors recognized that this would cause problems with the Latin American colonies and advised him to create basically a commonwealth agreement like what the British Empire would later do with Canada and Australia where the nations would be given their independence but remain united around a single king and the Spanish King just went "lol nope not necessary" and got his rear end handed to him for the next 30 years after that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Also after the Napoleonic Wars he wanted to go back and reconquer them but the soldiers he was going to send all revolted because they knew they’d probably just die of yellow fever or something

Also Mexico had a significant part of its population have royalist sympathies so its revolutionaries actually gave the King a second chance and tried to create a dual monarchy arrangement and if the King declined give it to another member of his dynasty and then the King refused to even entertain the possibilty of it even after he was losing the rest of Latin America left and right.

Spanish royalty from 1790 to 1830 were some of the dumbest motherfuckers to ever live.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Luckily, they were brilliant in the early twentieth century. Franz Ferdinand repeatedly paraded in front of the least competent assassin squad that Bosnia could assemble until they killed him. After one of the conspirators missed with the bomb and tried drowning himself in a foot deep river, Gavrilo Princip had given up on the assassination plot and went to grab some burek. Imagine his surprise when, outside the burek shop, there was the hated Habsburg. He dutifully obliged by filling him and the missus with lead.

And the Habsburgs pretty much single handedly precipitated the ensuing crisis into a world war by bungling the diplomatic process and undermining all the peace efforts of all the other monarchies of Europe unwilling to go to war over Serbia. A brilliant lot, I say.

Franz Ferdinand insisted on being sewed into his clothing each day by servants so that it had the tightest fit possible. This meant that when he was shot the doctor's couldn't easily get his shirt off to operate on him. If he had worn clothes like a normal person the doctor who attended him could have operated on him easily and he probably would have survived.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1251217319667339267

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It is permitted. The entire assassination was a big slapstick joke and the punchline was 20 million dead men

The rise of Nazism was largely a reaction to the outcome of World War 1. It is entirely reasonable to add the death toll from World War 2 as well as the holocaust to the 20 million dead from one Austrian's love of very tight pants.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

is that a tiny shiite community in the middle of the mormon blob

Thats the Great Salt Lake which is one of two lakes along with Lake Victoria that aren't inland seas which are apparently notable enough to feature on this map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

So unions are just completely neutered in the entire Western world then? Good to know.