Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

cebrail posted:

They didn't just simplify them, they hosed them up. They could have divided them into Lutheran, Reformed/Calvinist, Baptist and Anglican, or they could have called them all Protestant, but what they did is calling the same denomination Lutheran in America and Protestant in Europe, while also using Protestant in other parts of North America. It doesn't make any sense at all.

European Protestants are just crypto-Papists anyhow. REAL Protestants moved to America. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Fabulous Knight posted:

Finland, proud Western European country represent.

Maps like this tend to over-represent areas with low population - that north Finnish area has total population of a Helsinki suburb.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Exactly what you expect it to be

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1SgmFa0r04

Controversiality depends on viewer though.

Letmebefrank fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 20, 2014

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Koramei posted:

there was an A/T thread from someone who worked in Antarctica a couple of years ago (edit: wow beaten, i'm very good at reading apparently) and I'm pretty sure he said people, at least in western stations, aren't allowed to stay there year-round for mental health reasons. But I might be misremembering.

My ex-wife tells a story that she talked with an old ATV driver in Novolazarevskaya Station who has been there since the USSR broke down. Summers and winters. Said that he had no family in Russia, and the quality of life seems to be superior. After checking the RUSSIA.JPG thread, he might have had a point there.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Deltasquid posted:

EDIT: on the subject of driving left:

Why is Surinam driving on the left side of the road? I thought they would follow the Dutch on this one.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

ErIog posted:

I cheated, but there's still some chance I'm not correct:
Reporters Without Borders 2014 Press Freedom Rankings

Yep.. Perhaps too easy.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

SaltyJesus posted:

It's cool how you can see some of the major rivers/valleys. The Po Valley is clear as day.

(work rant warning)

Also, Po Valley is a really nice bowl collecting all emissions. Add frequent atmospheric capping inversions, and you have one of the most polluted regions in Europe.
PM2.5 is not so well captured by satellite products, but the results are quite indicative of the overall levels. One of the main differences between US and EU levels is the wind direction in respect to the pollution source regions: In US the pollution corridor is NS (East Coast), which means that the dominating winds are blowing perpendicular to the emission regions - i.e. most incoming air is relatively clean. In EU instead, the cross-border pollution transfer is a major component, and the local particulate emissions are added to the crap accumulated in more West parts of the subcontinent. Aging of pollution makes also more particulate pollution - e.g. organics change from gas phase to particulate when oxidizing.

This has some interesting policy implications, as e.g. Netherlands own emissions mostly affect the Northern Germany downwind, and their air quality problems are mostly caused by UK and France. Thus when the EU requires the communities to control their air quality issues, the solutions need a little more complex negotiations than in some other places.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Political, as all air quality issues in China are political.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Mind map is a map?

I tried to make some sense on who is bombing who now.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

C.M. Kruger posted:

Suggestions:
Terrorism might need to be a both-ways arrow for the Kurds and Turkey.
A "opposed" or "foes" line between Iran and the Saudis.
Connections for the Saudi entanglement in Yemen.
Connections for Jordan, Israel and Lebanon/Hezbollah. Possibly also African connections such as Libya, Egypt and Sudan.

Some additions and changes based on comments:

-Israel would mess up everything by adding those magenta lines everywhere.
-Yemen and palestinians will mess up the picture as well, leaving them out
-Russia has actually bombed ISIS now and then , so no question mark there
-I have no clue of relationship between Iraq and Assad
-Is Turkey bombing ISIS at all?

Done with CMaptools, so I can give the file if someone is interested to edit their views.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Undead Hippo posted:

It would be a lot cleaner with a key, rather than labels on all the coloured lines.

Something like this http://i.imgur.com/ggkVIuM.png ?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The politically loaded part is that Turkey is labeled Turks.

To be consistent with the Kurds as their claims overlap?

:can:

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

kalstrams posted:

That map is about happiness, from U.N. World Happiness Report.

They have some awesome chart axes:

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

bagual posted:

don't remember seeing this one here so here it goes

What is the deal with Venezuela and Colombia in the Caribics? They seem to extend way beyond other players in the area. Bigger claims?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

DarkCrawler posted:

Jesus what is the average San Fransisco salary? Does it literally have no poor people in it?
Last time I visited SF at least the Tenderloin district did not seem to attract the wealthiest. However, many of them most likely did not exactly pay rent as they did seem to live on the street.

(2000+ USD in there? I did not even dare to walk there in daytime)

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Platystemon posted:

There are embassy guards in almost every country.

Missing Diego Garcia garrison?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

An old globe at workplace. Soviet Union, etc.

The existence of German (?) Lutto republic from Bavaria to Skåne was unknown history to me.
Capital: Kööpberliini

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

vyelkin posted:

Nope. Stockholm, Kiev, Sofia, Baku are all yellow capitals. Probably others as well. Meanwhile Barcelona and Frankfurt are red non-capitals. Probably others as well.

It is from Egyptair inflight magazine, so probably has something to do with theirs/partners destinations or seasonal/allyear routes?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Kanine posted:

(but with more autonomous regions for colonized and oppressed groups)

Federal Safe Zone for Middle Aged Republicans?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

System Metternich posted:

I couldn't find any sign that the project was founded by anyone else besides the EU, but I wouldn't exclude it either

Usually this is even more complicated, as due to some political machinations EU can not fund Swiss research, at least via thei main science programme H2020. Instead Swiss apply EU money as an EU institution, but are actually paid by Swiss goverment with equal funds. Complicated system to keep up appearances.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Place names (inc. lakes, ponds, etc) with the word "paska" (="poo poo") in Finland.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Cracker King posted:

I’m curious to see this overlaid with cannibus consumption data.

Is this cultural preference Or is this more - drug enforcement is more strict in other countries?

This is probably waste water derived statistic, so at least methodologically independent of drug laws. Unless you mean cultural effect from said laws?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

TinTower posted:

It's one of those "acceptable cheats" that I love about religious rulings, like every city large enough having an eruv.

I always wondered why they don't just make a mini 1m2 Eruv and claim inside it "outside" - making the whole rest of the planet "home". Would fit some stories from Jewish religious law interpretations.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Another map in which Portugal is an honorary East European country.

Unsurprising that Walloon Belgium is "unavailable". It is too bad that there were no dash cams when I lived in Aachen, because the red-plated visitors would have been enough for a whole YouTube channel.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

my slavic experience is everyone chain smokes and slams vodka shots at dinner, but somehow have iron livers and steel lungs.

Well, there IS a clear evolutionary pressure to withstand those poisons.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
https://twitter.com/IlyaYashin/status/1439883299283951619?s=20

Somehow the vote tallying took ages, and the results seem to have slightly changed in Russian election results in Moscow when the completely trustworthy electronic votes were finally included.

Blue is Putin gang.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
AD2300 used that "projection" in all their worldmaps..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2300_AD

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Kamrat posted:

I was reading about mutual intelligibility and found this map here:

As I understand it the regional dialects of Switzerland is harder for speakers of regular German to understand even though they learn standard German in school, so I feel the map should maybe account for that as well as Austrian German being different, I'm not sure how different it is but I feel it's different enough to be accounted for, especially since Norwegian is counted as two languages even though Nynorsk and Bokmål are just two different writing standards, not different languages. I'm pretty sure there's more errors in this map but those are just the ones that stand out for me.

Also Åland, Gotland and Bornholm are gone in this map for some reason.

Fake edit: I just realized Stockholm is missing in this map as well, seems like the Baltic sea have completely submerged it, to be honest I feel it's an improvement but still.

I refuse to believe that Danish is intelligible to anyone outside of Denmark. Perhaps Skåne. (insert kamelåsa video here).

Losing Åland would be a problem, as we get our potato chips from there.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

The anti-fascist protection wall was first confusing, but then I realized it was intended to keep the saxons IN.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Debate & Discussion > politically-loaded maps: Outside New York, which is basically Minsk

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Long live French Tannu Tuva!

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Tei posted:

The label say "or Spanish" but Spanish appears multiple times.

At least Chilean Spanish is to my understanding accurate. Bit like relationship of rural Irish English

https://youtu.be/pit0OkNp7s8

to Received Pronunciation

https://youtu.be/Z8uW15pmF68

But that info is from an argentine friend of mine..

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I guess this passes for a map.

:finland:

This is just a matter of marketing, I am sure. Who would not love these culinary delights?

Chopped vegatables boiled in milk

Sweetened potatoes in unrecognisable form

Mystery meat boiled (with carrots and potatoes)

Peas every Thursday

and for dessert

Leftovers from beer making, served with cream and sugar

:shrug:

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

We had head of police drug squad of the capital city as a literal organised crime boss, importing drugs and framing others for it. Also, perhaps murder. And Finland is on the bottom (real countries) of that list? What is happening in other places?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you're used to the US then you should be exercising extra caution in places like Paris cuz you're way more likely to encounter scammers, pickpockets, maybe even get mugged as a tourist. Than as a US american walking around the US.

American? Walking? In US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
https://twitter.com/ladiologist/status/1573008955055476744?s=20&t=LAl36rJwqEVKCPgDEYJSGg