Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Senerio posted:

Basically, how my friend summed it up to me, Power Rangers is at its best when it's trying to be serious, while Sentai is at its best when trying to be goofy.

I've heard this before, but it's absolutely false. Shinkenger and Go-Busters, definitely on the serious side of Sentai, are some of the best I've watched, while Go-onger is poo poo and it's goofy as hell.

Not to say Sentai does goofy wrong 100% of the time, Kyoryuger was great. Dekaranger too, though that one was more middle of the road than outright comedic, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'd just like to point out that Facebook has Power Rangers stickers in the browser-based chat windows. Go forth and send your friends a picture of Tommy and Kimberly hugging! Or Jason sleeping! Or Jason doing pretty much anything imaginable, because it's 90% Red Ranger.

I wouldn't have ever noticed this if you didn't point it out. Time to get some use out of them despite the fact that I never use stickers at all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dekamaster is the Hundredth Ranger, excuse me.

As silly as it might sound, it's important to remember this. The guy with six on his suit (as a roman numeral, VI) was Tetsu/Dekabreak. Dekamaster was more of an ally/mentor/leader, he rarely took to the field himself (even explained by him, he was far above the others and they wouldn't even try if they could just let the Watchdog of Hell do the job), while Tetsu was constantly fighting alongside the rest.

Hell, by the final episode Tetsu even joins the normal rolecall instead of having his own ("Six! It's good to be invincible!")

MagiMother could never be the sixth, she's the first to appear in Magiranger! The sixth is clearly MagiRed :v: In all seriousness, the whole "sixth" thing is clearly not meant to be taken literally, they're just the most important status quo-shattering guys after the three/five mains. That role is clearly MagiShine's, not MagiMother's (who doesn't join until far later in the series and barely gets to do anything, IIRC). I'm not too sure of how things went in Mystic Force though, not having watched it myself, but I doubt it was very different.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I will say this; the issues Magenta brought up about TVN's workflow are, I feel, accurate. I've volunteered to do QC for them a couple of times and it's always a horrible, prolonged process which drives me away each time. When you have people who are not fluent in english critiquing an english translation, you're going to run into issues once in a while. I've told the guys at TVN how I feel about that and how I think it could be improved, but it's really up to them to decide it's a problem worth doing something about.

I think it's important to actually link to said rant if you're going to mention it. Not only because it'll give people context, but because it quite honestly really deserves to be read.

If I still had trust for TV-N after the Gaim roasts (which killed my trust in a subbing group I had been following for years, even if I already had problems with them, including the -tachi said before, the "you guys" for every occasion, and especially SPACE KITA (gently caress, I don't know Japanese and I can translate that)), then this was definitely the last thing I needed to get rid of it. Even if I can't agree with everything Over-Time or Aesir does, it's still better than this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Silver will clearly be Tommy (who will need new clothes again). I will accept no other possibilities.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

this is incredibly accurate. The other Ningers are cool, the villains seem pretty great and the monsters are amazing. There's just this huge problem of Red being terrible.

This wouldn't even be that big of a deal if the series didn't give Kyoryuger a run for its money on Red-centrism. At least it's gotten a bit better at that, but it was unbearable how everything went around Takaharu.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brother Entropy posted:

Magiranger is the best because for one brief shining moment Sentai realized that capes are cool as hell

The word you're looking for is "remembered", not "realized".

We seriously need more Sentai with cool as hell capes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

By the end of Kyoryuger, they could field 4 or 5 full mecha iirc.

Five. Kyoryuzin, Pteraidenoh, Plezuoh, Bragioh and Spinodaioh.

Sadly we got them using all of them only once, because man, having an entire Sentai out of robots is pretty cool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kasumi/Momoninger for being the best part of this terrible Sentai and someone who honestly deserves a far better show.

Apart from that, Ako/Blue Swallow, Utchy/KyoryuGold, Torin/KyoryuSilver, Marvelous/GokaiRed, Jin and J/Beet and Stag Busters, Enter/Beet Buster II/Dark Buster (if he counts), the entire Shinkenger cast...there's lots of good Rangers out there.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The one exception to the series being entirely Red-centric I can think of is Dairanger...where the focus was instead on the green, ShishiRanger (hilariously named Daigo, as if predicting Kyoryuger many years later), and later switched hard to KibaRanger...who was so loving annoying that I had to stop watching and never returned. I wouldn't be surprised if it became more RyuuRanger-centric afterwards, though.

Gokaiger also became quite Silver-centric at one point, to the point that it was Gai that gave the final blow of the series, but apart from that Marvelous clearly commanded the spotlight. Which was cool, because Marvelous is cool as hell, and the others still got a lot of chances to shine and be awesome.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm hoping Ninja Steel is good, if only because it'd establish a pattern that would mean we'd have something to look forward to on future bad Sentai seasons.

That'd require having enough examples to make a pattern. Goseiger was adapted into Megaforce, so terrible Sentai can become terrible Rangers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Goseiger is definitely not worth a watch ever but Bladerun is amazing and definitely the best part of the show. That said it gets really hard to root for the super boring heroes with a villain as cool and resourceful as Bladerun. He isn't Enter, but then again, nobody is, and he definitely ranks high on my Sentai villain list.

GoseiKnight is super cool too, but I'd have to say Ninninger had a better Ranger cast...which it used terribly because Takaharu must be in the spotlight all the time and everyone else must live for Takaharu because Takaharu is your new lord and saviour praise Takaharu the New Last Ninja. The villains were so awful though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some were more justified than others. I can't blame GingaRed for not trusting pirates when he fought pirates himself. I can see why the Goseigers would want the GoseiKnight key back, although there was no reason to immediately get aggresive. Hurricaneger...well, pirates and ninjas have never been friends, but considering Tsuruhime and Ninjaman were far nicer...

GaoRed also had good reasons to not immediately give his power, considering how the Gokaigers came across as total assholes. It took Doc and Ahim to make him realize that their bark was far worse than their bite.

I don't really remember any other Sentai that outright didn't trust the Gokaigers, but I'm probably forgetting someone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ninninger is a series that has a great hero cast, even outside of the Rangers, and absolutely ignores any and all opportunities they'd have to shine to focus on Takaharu, who is a terrible character with a terrible actor, in a situation where two negatives absolutely do not make a positive.

Kasumi deserved a better show.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Inkspot posted:

He's supposed to be a swordfish, so... Pisces? Seems like a weird choice to base the sentai with nine rangers off of twelve (or thirteen) constellations, but I approve of Silver using the rest of the fabric they didn't use for Kyoryuger.

There's far more than twelve constellations. They don't end with the zodiac. Please watch some Saint Seiya.

Also, constellations-wise...
-Red: Leo
-Orange: Scorpio
-Blue: Lupus
-Gold: Libra
-Black: Taurus
-Silver: Ophiuchus
-Green: Chameleon
-Pink: Aquila
-Yellow: Dorado (not Pisces, the swordfish has its own constellation)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

Those are the rangers from where Tommy's White Tiger Ranger comes from right?

Yup, Gosei Sentai Dairanger. Which didn't exist in Power Rangers and therefore should not have appeared in Megaforce, but that'd require caring and Saban sure did not do that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Craptacular! posted:

Ninja Steel: "Gold Rush"

This zord fight must be from a crossover movie that we'll not get because Saban is balls, because the megazord just made the Ninja Storm wind ninja logo when it spit out red.

Not quite. Ninja Steel's origin Sentai, Ninninger, came out during an anniversary, and it celebrated it by having some earlier Ninja (and the very first Red) appear to give some advice to the protagonists. The result of this is them getting Shuriken with the powers of NinjaRed (Alien Red) and HurricaneRed (Ninja Storm Red).

Saban tried to remove those cameos, at least as far as I could read, but I guess they just hoped no one would remember the logo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pyroi posted:

listen

zordon left a lot of contingency plans behind

including the proliferation of morphers onto the black market

This is my new headcanon. The reason all Power Rangers teams get to have similar clothes and be connected to the Morphin' Grid is because Zordon leaked how to make a morpher to very specific sources he knew he could trust.

And some giant head dude that apparently was his apprentice but never really understood what his job was.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today's episode is, simply put, kinda hosed up.

Just watched the whole playlist yesterday, this is very good and I'm surprised I waited this long for it.

That said, please update the playlist. I thought I was up to date but it only goes up to 45.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lizard Wizard posted:

A Tommy episode! This one was fun to work with, but it was awful bullshit from top to bottom.

Ah yes, the Sword of Power, not to be confused with the Power Sword (Jason's weapon), the other Power Sword (Megazord's weapon) or the Sword of Darkness (called the Power Sword once).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

OOO is a good series that serves as a great show of why Yasuko Kobayashi is an amazing writer who shouldn't be given long series. Characterization, beginning and end are all excellent...the middle part is slow as poo poo and mostly forgettable.

I love her series, Shinkenger and Go-Busters are my favourite Sentai, but she's much better in shorter series. Even Shinkenger suffers with the slow and boring Akumaro arc (much as the ending of it is excellent).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Which dude was that? I thought all the characters were pretty interesting, save for Hiiro.

e: to be fair, his writing wasn't terrible, but the actor showed the emotional range of drywall.

If anyone talks about the most interesting character, you know fully well they mean Neo Dan "Dangerous Zombie" Kuroto God Amongst Gods. Like, I don't even know about the Big Brother-like thing but it can only be our Lord and Saviour, the Game Master.

RealFoxy posted:

If you try about 6 episodes of a series to see if you're into them, there's a couple good modern ones that will probably draw your interest. Especially if you tried to jump in during the Decade era.

Kamen Rider W: It's a series based off a guy who **thinks** he's a cool detective, and his partner who is a shut-in book nerd. They solve mysteries that become an allegory for hard drugs. Overall, legitimately one of the best-wrote series from start to finish because (Minus 2-4 episodes) something legitimate moves the plot forward every episode
Kamen Rider Fourze: A Japanese Greaser stereotype is thrown into a high school of American stereotypes and he wants to become friends with everyone. There's a lot of energy, also this takes place in Space Camp.
Kamen Rider Gaim: It starts out as a light-hearted rivalry between feuding hip-hop dance crews and eventually devolves into a hosed up Evangelion show where everyone is backstabbing each other and hosed up things are happening between friends.
Kamen Rider Ex-Aid: It's a really goofy video game parody that somehow becomes one of the most dramatic and well-written shows in the modern era. They employed a guy from a Big Brother-type show in Japan who was nicknamed "Prince" and he became basically the most interesting character in the whole genre.

Just watch the first four episodes of whatever grabs your attention there. Fair warning, Ex-Aid has a rough start, Fourze has a rough middle and Gaim has a rough ending. I might be bias but W really doesn't drag that much

I mostly agree with this except for Gaim, which is less Evangelion (it has nothing in common with Eva, I don't get this comparison) and far, far more Shin Megami Tensei. It's basically as close to a live-action SMT we're ever going to get, including such mainstays as Law/Neutral/Chaos paths (which all suck for everyone involved).
Also the ending isn't that rough so long as you end the series one episode early. The last episode is pure, absolute filler and a completely terrible waste of time that wasn't even written by Urobuchi, the main writer. And I say this as someone who fully thinks Kaito should've won and Kouta is bad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Austin St. John's voice double is so subtle, you'll never notice that they don't even remotely sound the same!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kimberly-Rita is basically the moment where you realize Amy Jo Johnson was the only one serious there about being an actress and she does an amazing job. It's one of my favourite moments of the original series, she gets everything right, from the tone of voice, to her movement.

It's probably the only moment I genuinely cared about Kimberly to be honest. Should've kept being evil.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Three weeks is a long-rear end time for a child. I felt it far longer too but that's a child's time for you.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

All three BOOM! Comics Power Rangers...err...Comics are very good and I fully recommend all three to whoever wants MMPR but better written and more mature.

Even if I imagine all will go to hell with the massive crossover arc that the series doesn't really need.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's impressive to see just how bad the new actors were. I mean, they were just as bad as the old (with the exceptions of the few that could act), but considering how big Johnny Yong Bosch got, seeing his humble origins is something else, even if it'll always be the first role I think of when I think of him.

Also Jason's VA returns and is just as unfitting as ever, I love him. They should've kept him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That scene with Bulk and Skull is adorable and further cements them as the best characters in this series.

Watching this though...man, for all people complain about Megaforce and with good reaason, Zordon wasn't exactly much better than his student. Both the POWER OF THUNDER! and Tor come straight out of nowhere and with no explanation, making them sound as if Zordon had them all along but decided to use them at those points because...he wanted to? I guess?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's a good monster. The VA definitely nailed what he had to say.

Also wow, I can't believe I didn't realize as a kid that Jason, Trini and Zack were leaving the series, this isn't even remotely subtle. The character focus is always on the three that didn't leave (yet), the others get small cameos just to transform or stand in the background at best.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I had completely forgotten Sabrina was not made-up by the comics and in fact came from the series. That's one incredibly small thing to reference.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Remember when Goldar was a genuine threat instead of having to rely on bad gimmicks like THE MIRROR OF REGRET?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"You're Kimberly, my best friend". Aisha, you've known each other for like a month at best. That's a really fast-growing friendship.

Also Bulk and Skull keep being the best.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ah yes, the one episode where Rocky had a personality.

And one with a lot of rhymes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Power Rangers are aliens? Silly Bulk. That will never happen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Remember when the Z-Putties were said to be much more dangerous than Rita's and an actual threat?

Yeah, me neither.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is actually really cool and I'm glad JDF never got over his Power Ranger days and is always up for this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u4dlv2W9v8

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow, that's some really bad greenscreening. It was really obvious during a lot of the storybook moments. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.

Also "Mondo the Magician" may be the greatest downranking between Sentai and Power Rangers. Shadam was definitely not a MotW.

Testekill posted:

I haven't seen any of Magiranger, I'm specifically talking about Mystic Force aka the Nick Russell power hour

"The Red Ranger Power Hour" is basically every modern Sentai though!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers: I don't know if I'm okay with this.

So uhh, I guess time travel was really popular around this time? Because it wasn't all that long since the last episode about time travel.

And that last one made more sense than this one, too! "If Angel Grove gets destroyed, none of you will be born!" Beyond the...debatable...logic of apparently none of their families ever moving out of Angel Grove in over a hundred years, four out of six Rangers aren't Angel Grove natives in the first place! Hell, if the comics are right, then Billy is literally the only current Ranger to be born in Angel Grove. They really did just copy/paste Jason/Zack/Trini with the current three...although at least that makes more sense than Trini's Asian ancestry being actually from Angel Grove, I guess. Still doesn't explain where Adam and his ancestor got their Korean but I guess that Asian-American family was American for a long while. Or why Tommy is still included in the cast.

I'm genuinely shocked this episode actually remembered the Green Power Coin was originally Rita's, and the White Power Coin wouldn't exist until present time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

What was the behind the scenes reason for that anyway, did Karen Ashley express some desire to leave the show or something?

According to PR Wiki,

quote:

Aisha was written off the show because Karan Ashley decided she could not handle the production scheduling. Karan was promised 10 episodes but was given a lesser amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That sucks. Plus Skull never got turned into a baby anyway.

Surprisingly considering the other stuff he got turned into and how wacky the plots could get.