Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fatkraken posted:

I think it's fantastic. And with over 3/4 of the funding raised and 25 days to go it might actually see print*.

This is great. I want to suggest a tier for print-and-play, but at what amount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ok, if it's possible to outdo that in amateurishness and badness, I'm not sure I really want to see it.

fake edit: oh, the video and project page were done by a cat? I guess it's impressive for a cat.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Another (potentially) non-crappy Kickstarter appears!

Richard Garriott is making a new game: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0

To balance it out, here's something completely idiotic:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/460594218/the-rock-string-for-iphone

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

AxeManiac posted:

That new ultima game looks awful. I know Ultima games have never really looked good, but man, it is terrible. The font looks terrible, the characters look cheap. I'm not too thrilled about it, not sure it is going to get funded.

It's basically placeholder art, they just wanted something to show off for the Kickstarter/at SXSW.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chewbot posted:

Color me cynical, but while DF:A, Wasteland, Project Infinity, Star Citizen and Shadowrun are all looking great or at least pretty good, this is just dismal. If it's placeholder art they should have gone with no art.

Oh, I'm not defending the current looks (which are pretty bad), just clarifying what they've been saying about this valid concern. I've bounced off of Ultima games time and again, so I have no vested interest in white-knighting this project, and I'm not a backer. As you say, it'll likely get funded anyway, and it's not like people can't go buy it when it comes out.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pyroclastic posted:

I've reported those colored ziploc bags, those steel cups, and a couple other projects that were clearly just buying poo poo from Chinese wholesalers and making a project to profit hugely from them

I don't know about the others, but the ziploc guy was up front about that -- the minimum amount you have to buy of each color was like 1000 or 5000, so if you only want/need a few of each, and are willing to pay the premium...

Anyway, it was right in the project description, so Kickstarter must've known and judged it ok.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Otisburg posted:

I'd be genuinely interested to see what the professed target audience thinks.

They probably think "I'll just use Olafur Eliasson's Little Sun instead"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

How do you like them butters?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/biemspray/the-biem-butter-sprayer

Not endorsed by Paula Deen.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Great Rumbler posted:

See, that actually looks pretty cool and there's some real creativity on display.

But I still wouldn't pay $200 for a potted plant.

$200 is on the low end for Bonsai, so the people interested in this probably won't have any problem with the price.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Guy Mann posted:

Biblical video games would be cool if they were actually true to the source material and not just about proselytizing and being family friendly. As is the only people who make anything remotely close are the Japanese perverts who make all freaky angel monsters Bayonetta kills.

http://www.mdickie.com/prev_youtestament.htm

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Those balls you can probably get for $1, except for more.

e: Bonus garbage for the dumbest of the dumb.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Doggles posted:

How would you like an app that can keep track of where all your photography equipment is so it doesn't get lost or stolen?

https://www.lenstag.com/ has existed for years and is actually established.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253665084/zero-breeze-the-worlds-coolest-portable-air-condit?ref=category

"Portable, Smart, Multifunctional Air Conditioner that includes a bluetooth speaker, a night light, and a smartphone charging station."

Exactly what I'm looking for in an A/C.

e: quality:

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Aug 20, 2016

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

John Denver Hoxha posted:

That is actually sort of cool though since it's not like a window AC unit. It is like all the comfort technology luxury items I could think of for something like a casual camping trip with some friends or to party out in the boonies put into a single package to offset the size of the AC unit (obviously it isn't for serious hikes or anything like that)

Problem is the base unit doesn't even come with a battery, and the $180 battery has 800 charge cycles.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2015098713/fidget-cube-a-vinyl-desk-toy

:pervert:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Gann Jerrod posted:

I also found an infinite energy source, which is a bargain at only $215,000, or 70,000 croissants. I think they're on the right track, look at all the progress they've made:

That four-second video with the LED is loving amazing. :allears:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Non Serviam posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/the-everyday-backpack-tote-and-sling

Almost five million have been raised to fund a camera backpack. It's smaller and more expensive than any similarly sized backpack made by established photography brands.

There's literally no reason why you should get this instead of, you know, any other bag you'd get on Amazon for a fraction of the price.

I bought their previous product and it is bar none and by far the best photography bag (and bag in general) that I have ever owned. Is it overpriced? Yes, because camera gear is always overpriced. If that makes me a numpty, so be it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Young Freud posted:

TBF, that loving cube just started popping up on my Facebook feed. It's hilarious when poo poo were trashtalking here pops up on Facebook like a week later, you got a head start on explaining why it's a bad idea.

Also saw it in my Twitter feed and everyone replying wanted one.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Paladinus posted:

It's a great idea to make it harder to breathe when exercising.

This thing is loving stupid, but tons of athletes use that elevation training mask that simultes higher altitudes.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ever think "I love my Kindle, but it's just TOO small"?

This 13.3" e-reader can be yours* for a mere $700 on Indiegogo! Plus it runs rooted Android for that extra low battery life.

* it'll never come out

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

e-ink screens are nice to read from and if you're an easily-distracted babby like me it's good to have a device that just does one thing

that thing looks like a chunk of poo poo though

Also e-readers have days of battery. I doubt this does.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

social vegan posted:

glad they cut out the 20 min on the end of the video where he tries to put it all back in

You just set it on fire with the magnesium lighter.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Parasol Prophet posted:

I just love that they give you an extra packet of magnesium, but only two tylenol.

And if "the difference between life and death happens in a FLASH" I think you're already dead if you're there desperately trying to shake the tube and unscrew the right components to find what you need.

Not just an extra packet of magnesium, but an entire other lighter, too.

e: I would also like to add

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wazoosurvivalgear/the-ultimate-everyday-and-travel-accessory-cache-b

e2: dammit, image not moving, but that way it's more of a surprise how dumb it is!

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Sep 25, 2016

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Platystemon posted:

Has anyone asked why would you put all that poo poo in a belt when you could put it in a tin?

The nice agent at the airport, while putting on the glove?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This is going to totally achieve things.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-justice-european-union-boris-johnson-2016-9

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

santanotreal posted:

It already has. Some lawyers just made $200,000.

Oh, sure, and he's probably making $30k in "salary".

The stated goal, though?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The makers of this project just followed me on Twitter, so naturally I had to run out and promote it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Glumslinger posted:

Why not just a toaster oven? It works great for small batches of cookies, and you can do other things with it too

Can you connect it to the internet? No? Well then.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

All of this guy's games have castration scenes in them, no way is he getting anywhere near me with this poo poo.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Anyone remember incredibly bad MMO "The Endless Forest", in which you are frolicking deer and which got mercilessly trolled by a certain dead comedy website?

Welllllll https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-endless-forest-second-decade-game-multiplayer#/

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

exploded mummy posted:

wasn't tales of tale supposed to be out of the gaming business after sunset flopped horribly

quote:

Tale of Tales is currently concentrating on non-commercial work. To fund such productions we now rely on the generosity of people willing to support the arts.

We are currently in the last days of a fundraising effort to renew our very first game release, The Endless Forest, a free multiplayer online game where everyone plays a deer.

https://igg.me/at/theendlessforest

Created over a decade ago, The Endless Forest has been the cornerstone of the design of all our subsequent games. There is an incredibly active community of players, but the games' technology is outdated and we want to remake it so that we can continue to expand it for another decade.

Recreating the game in a new engine will also allow us to attract many more players than the current 170,000 registered accounts, including users of OS X and Linux. But six days from the end, we still need to collect over half of the funds needed to do this properly. Hence this message.

Please support one of the most unique games ever made and ensure it can live on!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I like that "rubato" is Italian for "robbed".

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oops, wasn't aware there's a difference in English.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Veotax posted:

Pebble, one of Kickstarter's biggest success stories is out of business.

Christ, what a garbage article. They refused an offer for a $740 million buyout from Citizen last year, then refused a $70 million offer from Intel after the Pebble Round didn't really go anywhere, and now they're bankrupt. It's not "a blow to crowdfunding", it's bad business practice.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Decius posted:

No more warranty sounds super illegal if you sell in Europe. But then they completely hosed up their first Kickstarter by not getting the required declarations of safety to import into the EU, which meant you could watch the nice import guy destroying it, if you were unlucky...

True, though if they cease to exist, they cannot provide warranty...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

laserghost posted:

Despite not mentioning it anywhere, it's all about the flat earth, right? Or is there another ridiculous conspiracy theory involving the shape of the planet?

If it is, that representative image and the phrase "blue marble" are superbly chosen.

Also check out the guy's other kickstarters.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

PathAsc posted:

I'm sure if this even gets off the ground they'll blame "big camera" or some other tinfoil poo poo for their findings.

That's clearly lens barrel distortion! *flattens earth curvature with photoshop*

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Young Freud posted:

The big question I want them to explain to me how we get latitude if the world is flat?

http://thedailywtf.com/articles/off-in-the-distance

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

bvoid posted:

I had to google "Sov Cits" and now I'm in a rabbit hole of these shitheads' videos. Thanks for ruining my night.

Add the word 'tasered' to your search to have it un-ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Dink Smallwood 2 looking good.

Now that is a blast (of garbage) from the past.