Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mangastream said it's due out tomorrow, if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've been keeping up with this every week, but I'm only reading it out of force of habit rather than any massive interest. The real issue with this manga for me is that there's basically no sense of crisis for the protagonists. Obito has been getting more and more powerful, but there's been no tension at all because Naruto always has another trick up his sleeve and the protagonist's team has only really lost Neji in the entirety of the world war.
It's always been apparent that the good guys are going to end up winning, but there's never been a moment where that feels like they're on the verge of losing, just moments where you think "Naruto's going to magic up a victory in a second". It just feels flat and that it's going through the motions.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Basically making him a foil for Naruto, then.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Uchihas: Miracle bullshit ninjas. Miracle bullshit surgeons.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Man, this is some really lovely and unclear writing. The drawing isn't exactly great either, so it's hard to tell what's going on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Haha, yeah, no chance of Sasuke dying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't get that issue whatsoever.

Why is a Zetsu? wearing a Tobi mask and why did he come out of nowhere plot wise. Neither of the two will die, and there's no precedent in the series to believe that any main character will die. Neji is close to it, but he was in part 2 of the manga maybe 2 times. After the whole "Nagato revives Konoha" swerve, it just feels an wholly impotent threat that anyone on the level of Kakashi or higher could die. This is just bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sakura, that is not how you do CPR.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So who is that guy stood over the second and Sasuke?
The pacing in this is frustrating as hell, stop dragging this nonsense out for bad comedy sections, tia Kishimoto.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good god, why do I keep reading this.
This thing needs a defined villain and an editor pronto. I barely understand it anymore.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This chapter felt like I was replaying the second act Okami to me.

Except that Okami is really good and that chapter was not.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thoren posted:

now we can get back to the plot.

yay?

It looks like that we might actually be getting into the final push now at least. I hope so anyway, another bullshit plot point power up after this would be the straw that breaks the camel's back, fixes it, breaks it, and then does that 5 more times.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I know death is all but meaningless in this manga, but it's really annoying when they build something up as "Use this and you're going to die" and then someone comes along and makes you better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Ok, we're almost done with this Pain fight, what do we do next Kishi?"
"Let's have a plotline where Kakashi-"
"He's dead, sir."
"Ok, Nagato brings him back alive and then Kakashi..."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Man, there really are no consequences for the good guys in this Manga.

Barring Neji's death, which is notable purely because it was clearly written to make the point that the good guys doe some times lose, this entire plot line has been the good guys getting in poo poo situations and then fixing it entirely with nonsense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I hope the very next thing Kakashi does is fall over because he's not used to regular depth perception.

Followed by Naruto magicking the understanding of depth perception into his head a fortnight from now, and also healing up the little scuffle he got on his knee after falling by making it healthier than ever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Kubo didn't know how to kill Madara, so Kaguya does it instead.

If he can't figure out how the first one, how can he figure out the second?

Get ready for another big bad guy reveal soon!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sakura: "I'm going to do just as well as Naruto!"
*gives all of her chakra so someone else can do things*
"Oh no, the acid is making it so I have to take my clothes off"
"And now I'm out of chakra and totally useless again and we only succeeded based on someone elses bullshit in the end and not my own chakra contributing efforts."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is some really dumb bullshit.
Does he not have editors to veto this or anything?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wait, they drag it out this long, with no sign of things ending any time soon and then they just win? I don't get it. I'm kind of glad I don't though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sasuke wants to resurrect the whole Uchiha clan with the bijuu's power.

Fails spectacularly and only brings back Obito.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is the dumbest thing, holy poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I guess Sakura came a bit too close to being useful a little while ago so now karma has it in for her big time for almost being a useful woman in Naruto.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Well, TenTen's personality (what little we've seen) is pretty much directly lifted from SD, so yeah I'd say it's likely.

Speaking of TT, whatever happened to those sealing tools?

She's female and she's TenTen, so she's the ultimate in useless Naruto characters.
At least Hinata getting almost murdered constantly drives Naruto to plot device things.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They should have called this manga "Itachi is neat" and cut the nonsense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Did anyone ever tell Hiruzen that Asuma was dead?

I suppose it's pretty symptomatic of how stupid something is when people have concerns over whether or not a dead guy knows his son is also dead.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

At least Naruto is consistent in its ability to be utter garbage.

I'm sure the shocking end hinted at is going to just knock the socks off of every one.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PIGEOTO posted:

Given kishi's stereotyping of women in this manga, the most powerful cooking ninja being a woman seems really likely

I'm pretty sure his inability to make a female relevant would overrule that though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sasuke's character kind of just reads like his plot arc or rivalry should have been finished by at two thirds of the way through at the latest, and everything else is just made up on the spot to keep him in the picture because he can't be dropped.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't really tell the scale of this battle too well.

Are Naruto's fox mode and Sasuke's Susano'o thing giant or is it just a little bit bigger than their regular bodies. I'm assuming they're giant, but the new Susano'o looks like a small suit of armour over Sasuke's regular body, due to the face thing it has.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If Naruto legitimately had even an eighth of the subtext that suggests, it wouldn't be the steamer it is today.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

And then he gets the cancer Itachi had and dies, the end.

Please?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He looks like an Uchiha, save for the swirly thing on his back which probably makes him a Uzumaki? I think that's what that stood for.

He probably still has a Sharingan.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There wasn't really a lot of fall out from the whole "Konoha was turned into a crater" thing was there?

He just beat Pain and then they just started rebuilding and nothing else really came of it. You'd think it would be a bigger deal, but what do I know?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tbp posted:

Yeah lol the fact that they could almost instantaneously rebuild from anything resembling actual destruction kind of removes a lot of the weight of the destruction itself and makes you wonder why these god like beings bother fighting one another

Just in-case Nagato saying "Actually, I take it back, I'm going to revive the fan favourite character who just had a poignant scene with his dead dad and all the other mooks and revive absolutely everyone I killed" didn't fully get across the point that this series is sort of bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"I might come after your rear end again, you know"
- Sasuke.

Naruto in a nutshell.

Aside from the whole "there's a movie set after this coming", we know that Naruto has two arms. So yeah, cool?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This really is the only part of this chapter you need to see.
It just needs a b-baka in there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reading the last page back to front, (like a western comic) makes the final page much better because it makes it seem like Sasuke dies.

The dialogue also still flows to a degree.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

His face looks inflated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is there a reason given for this? Just to set up the movie, I guess?
I guess she thought "You know what, gently caress this" while laying there split in half.

• Locked thread