Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So after getting hype and re-watching the current backlog of the anime, I've taken the plunge and am forging ahead with the mangas.

3 chapters into Diamond is UnbreakableNot Crash and I'm already a fan of Josuke, he's such a glorious dork. A worthy heir to the Joestar line.

(I will have to go back and read the Duwang versions at some point, just for completion's sake.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fiend Computer posted:

Fixed that for you.

Touche. :golfclap:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

She is, however, pretty fabulous. Can't say that one didn't carry down the line.

Counterpoint: DIO was the most fabulous of them all, and they got their stand powers from him, so why not other traits as well?

(As for young Joseph... uh, it was retroactive because of The World's time poo poo.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

RatHat posted:

Yeah Enya had an arrow she bought from Diavolo. She awoke Dio's stand with it and presumably some of the others as well(Kakyoin, monkey, baby most likely). I don't think you ever actually see the arrow in the part 3 manga though. Maybe there'll be cameos in the anime.

There actually already is, though you have to be looking for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-j7hdzRLa8

E: I just noticed that Star Platinum's hands followed by a clock slowing down could be read a bit foreshadow-ey, too.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 6, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel bad for the people who are going into tomorrow episode expecting Kakyoin to be great.

I feel bad for the people going into the Egypt Arc expecting Kakyoin to be great. :smith:

beautiful cherry man too good for this world, too pure

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

jotaro ages like fine wine. much more enjoyable when he has people like josuke to play off of instead of just being That Quiet Guy Who Solves Problems Automatically.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I honestly believe Araki himself would fund Part 4 if they didn't have the sales to justify it on its own. Araki loves part 4, we all love Part 4. I'm actually mad that people tried to sell me on JJBA using Part 3 rather than Part 4.

Look at these correct opinions.

Also i just finished part 4 and I must say, I agree with the bolded bit. SC has big stakes and all, but part 4 has a way better villain, a better protagonist (Koichi) and way more batshit stand powers, which of course mean better fights.

Also it has Tonio. Tonio owns.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Should I read parts 5 and 6 before starting Steel Ball Run or just skip straight to it?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Star Platinum posted:

Should you read more JoJo or less JoJo, hmm lemme think

Skipping 5 is acceptable because there's no good translation but you should read 6.

Excellent point.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Only Ripple users can see others' Ripple.

wait

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ahahahaha the resolution to the Marilyn Manson fight, Jolyne is definitely her father's daughter.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

FirstAidKite posted:

I only just noticed in the new jojo opening that during the ending bit where polnareff is moved down the stairs and jotaro's finger twitches and poo poo that kakyoin's lines all break at once. I knew it was representative of the 20 meter or whatever emerald splash but I didn't notice them all breaking all at once haha David really likes tossing poo poo like that into their openings.

I don't have it on hand, but someone went through frame by frame and found a split second shot of The World in the breaking glass at the end... which pops up right as the lyrics "End of The World" are sung. :getin:

Which reminds me, I just noticed recently that Dio shows up in the breaking glass at the end of the Season 2 OP.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Always read part 4 again. Always.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Meanwhile in Florida:

Jolyne owns so much, holy poo poo. :allears:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh hey, I just remembered, the other day I watched the MST3K episode, Pumaman.

It involves an ancient Aztec mask which grants the user great power, being used by an evil man to take over the world, and the latest in a long line of fighters known for their mystic powers who has to stop him. This hero wears a flamboyant outfit and at one point intentionally stops his heart to fool the enemy into thinking he's dead.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Moltrey posted:

He also crashes the bike into something, flips over the handlebars and then fixes it so it repairs underneath him and keeps going.

Also doesn't somehow use Crazy Diamond to put gas in the bike? I have no idea how he did that, but god Josuke's great.

That was fairly mundane, he just punched a hole in a car's gas tank (after trapping Highway Star inside).

Part 4 still best part so far.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm past the jailbreak in Stone Ocean and now Disney characters are coming to life.

This loving comic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Moltrey posted:

Still in the beginning of Part 6 and I swear I was stupid when I first started Stone Ocean because I didn't quite grasp how Hermes's Kiss works. Now I get it and it's super rad.

F.F. is still cool.

That's all I got on Part 6 so far.

Yeah it took me a few uses (and honestly having it explicitly stated) that the re-merging of the duplicated whatever would damage the original object. Before that I was like "Hey, infinite self-clone army!"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aurain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUKhj91nDdQ

There are no words to describe how amazing this is.

(To be actually descriptive: It's a 4 op mash up starting with Sono Chi no Kioku's 2nd verse.)

Too loving hype.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, I finally checked JoJo out last year through the anime after hearing about it here and there for the last 10 years or so (starting with the WRYYYYYYYYY meme on YTMND in 05-ish). I already knew poo poo Gets Crazy(tm), but episode 2 was pretty great already, and then by the 3rd I knew I was gonna be hooked. And that's before the Ripple even gets hinted at.

It's dull and anticlimactic compared to the incredible poo poo that starts happening from Battle Tendency onward, but it's still fantastic on its own merits for a newcomer.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I don't know at all how to feel about the ending of Stone Ocean.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

FirstAidKite posted:

D'arby Jr & Sr

Aren't they brothers?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aurain posted:

Oh, anime thread. :allears:

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I hope Joseph and Avdol smooch next week because their bodies get pulled together by the magnetism

:mmmhmm:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Torquemadras posted:

Weather Report has to be one of the most versatile and crazy Stands in the entire series, and I'm sad he had only one actual fight at Jolyne's side. Stone Ocean had such a great cast of BroJos.

Memory-loss Weather Report was one of the best BroJos in the series, shame he ended up being a dick.

Also,

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

opinions about vento aureo aside, putting diamond is unbreakable anywhere so low on a list is a loving crime and should be punishable by law.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aurain posted:

Someone is making Duwang'd coloured version, complete with jpg artifacts from hell. Despite the coloured version being exclusively digital.

Sweet Ro(han) and Hella Josuke?

please dont hit me BW

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This episode was worth it just for this face.

We know Star Platinum's the ultimate punchghost, but even Silver Chariot can barely restrain his glee.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Poorly drawnmolded Hol Horse

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MachuPikacchu posted:

Carry around a little piece of the Great Wall and rebuild it around someone, trapping them

Rebuild the same bit of Great Wall in the shape of weapons

Literally duplicate the Great Wall and have it fall on you

STAND NAME: 『Chinese Democracy』

Ok I was thinking this sounded like a rehash of Crazy Diamond but the stand name sold me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

RatHat posted:

Highway to Hell is scary yeah but you can only kill 1 person with it

WELLL ACTUALLY

You could easily inflict a non-fatal injury that leads to another's death indirectly.

Your target's hanging off a cliff? Break your wrists. Standing on a narrow lip/tightrope/whatever? Sprain an ankle. Does healing the injury after it's inflicted also heal the target? If not, slit your throat then get immediate treatment from a healing stand or whatever.

Blinding yourself/your target midway through a fight with someone else would also be a major handicap.

Basically it's yet another case of "would be absolutely lethal if the user didn't handicap it"; someone not suicidal could think of plenty of ways to weaponize it beyond just "kill myself and one other". And it would be drat near unstoppable as a support stand alongside another, more physical one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I forget, can White Snake's stand discs give someone a second stand?

If so, combine Highway to Hell with King Crimson. Just skip through the moment where you actually die. :unsmigghh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jotaro used to be a nintendo fanboy, but swore off them when the prototype Dolphin console was instead sold as the Gamecube.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Can't loving wait to see Always Sunny In Morioh animated.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder how many people new to the anime have heard of the meme Dio's Stand is involved in. That's what got me into Phantom Blood.

I first heard about JoJo that way, way back when I barely even knew what manga was (thought they were like a niche thing as opposed to literally mainstream comics).

Along those lines, I wonder if DavePro will stick to ROAD ROLLER or come up with something even more ridiculous. Maybe both?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

RC Cola posted:

I was thinking of reading a new manga. I've heard this is good, can anyone give me a decent summary without much spoilers?

Fabulous buff men pose at each other while eldritch poo poo happens hilariously.

I'd advise watching the anime, definitely for part one, and probably for parts 2 and 3 (up to where they're at) as well. The Stardust Crusaders anime is only a few months from completion, so you could watch the backlog at a leisurely pace and catch up right as they're starting the Big Bad fight of part 3. It's a pretty fantastic adaptation with oodles of style, and you can always go back and read the manga later to get the complete experience (although parts 2 and 3 have almost nothing of significance cut from the anime).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Most important part of the episode:

Also holy hell, I haven't read the manga in a while and I forgot how brutal Pet Shop really is.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

We got Walk Like An Egyptian. There is no such thing as "too on the nose".

Which went away once they actually hit Egypt. Nice one davepro.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh I'm fully on board with Last Train Home, I just thought it was semi-ironic that the Eqypt song goes away in Egypt.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with competent villains:

Dio uses the mask in London instead of insisting on the symbolism of using Joestar blood, comes back and wrecks the Joestar mansion all in one go with an army of minions, takes over England (and then the world) as planned before the few Ripple users can do anything about it.

Then he has to find a way to deal with the pillar men or whatever.

The end.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cool Ice ain't such a bad change, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Y'all are crazy if you don't think her stand would be called Hollywood Rose

• Locked thread