Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

The doughiest Giorno.

Digiorno Giovanna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's more likely that Jotaro-alternate and Irene are illegitimate descendants of Johnny to go with how Josuke was illegitimate in part 4. Still more likely yet is that 1-6 are an alternate version of the true universe with the Corpse Parts, if we want to weave this all into a single cosmology.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

asvodel posted:

I am really curious to read part 4 since it seems to be a big inspiration to the plot of Persona 4...
I can't find an official English translated version of it though. Am I missing it, or does an official translation not exist and I have to resort to :files:?
In any case, also does it reference any major spoilers for part 3 that the anime hasn't gotten to yet?

There is no legal translation of Part 4, it offers a couple of major spoilers, and there probably will be a legal translation started by the time the anime of part 3 ends.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ChaosArgate posted:

Speaking of Part 4, I just realized that Josuke never tried restoring Okuyasu's Dad with Crazy Diamond, right? Would it have been possible for Josuke to restore him to before he had Dio's cells implanted in him?

I don't think Crazy Diamond can restore him, either because DIO's cells replaced all his DNA, or because there's not enough left of Nijimura to restore under all the DIO cells. In any case, Josuke presumably tried off-camera to do so.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Torquemadras posted:

Did they ever explain why Pucci, after fusing with Green Baby, could apparently age things? There's shots of half an egg having aged into chicks, and a baby where half of it has become adult. That kinda doesn't fit with anything C-Moon or Made in Heaven does later on...

C-MOON has gravity control, so presumably before it settles down into "3 km sphere of antigravity" and "turn people inside out via tidal forces" powers, it briefly flickers through something similar to Ball Breaker.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Butt Ghost posted:

Any particular reason they named the first chapter of Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe "Episode 16?"

Araki wanted to do an extremely tenuous Star Wars reference/has an elaborate internal chronology that will culminate with a Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe on Made In Heaven.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Davinci posted:

I'm not understanding why all you teeth dudes are so against a Jojo all-part crossover. It could be really neat as like a big series climax or something.

Can someone explain, like, with words, why this wouldn't be cool as hell?

It'd be too crowded. Vento Aureo has seven protagonists (not all at once), while this would have eight JoJos and a whole bunch of side characters. Jojo works on cool fights and character interaction, both of which would be strained in this.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Beef Waifu posted:

All of JoJo is good

Beef Waifu posted:

You are all bad, though

Can't really disagree here.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Torquemadras posted:

I think that's one rather ingenious loophole Diavolo exploits: during erased time, only he can move freely, so of course he can't murder someone until normal time resumes (which is why The World is still better offensively, if it weren't for King Crimson's unparalleled strength). But his blood counts as part of himself, so he can place it freely as well!

Man, the more people talk about King Crimson, the sadder I get he never really got beat in a proper fight. Fighting him would be like facing The World. And the worst thing about it? Giorno already had the perfect ability to counter ten-second prediction: a punch that made the target experience time much, much slower... Then Diavolo could erase a few milliseconds at best, and that just wouldn't be enough to actually move somewhere else during erased time. Make Diavolo believe he's safe when he isn't, like Jotaro did during the rat fight in Part 4, and land a single punch. Araki probably forgot about that ability immediately after it was used against Bruno, but that would've been a sweet comeback, no? :v:

Eh, Araki tends to have the final confrontations rely more on thematic stuff (at least since part 2/3) than on continuing how the storyline has gone so far. Diavolo's entire MO is about cheating, taking shortcuts, and doing anything possible to avoid risking himself. Stability and success at any price. Gold Experience Requiem then proceeds to blow through all of that by simply being stronger than anything he can do and forcing him to live in a world of perpetual failure and uncertainty.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There's already an explanation for Star Finger within Part 3, in the Lovers fight and more generally with Hierophant Green.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Stand Users can reshape their Stands at will, but it takes energy for them to do so. So, for example, Bad Company would be useless if it was pumped up to human size because all the energy would be maintaining its form and nothing for shooting or punching. Hierophant Green being able to stretch itself out is an extension of this that Kakyoin can use with ease.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Please stop doing damage control for asspulls that happened literally 23 years ago.

It's one of the asspulls that makes intuitive sense apart from Araki not using it. You can't say that for both kinds of alien or Mrs. Robinson.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Waffleman_ posted:

Jesus was a Jojo, actually.

Joshua bar Joseph.

His Stand was Sister Christian.

Simon Peter, seeing the fig tree has no fruit: This must be the work of an enemy Stand!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just finished up Stone Ocean. While I'm fine with Pucci kind of winning, I wish that more of the victory in that last fight had come from Jolyne--she didn't really have much presence in it. Also, I'm kind of confused--Pucci sped up time to the universal reset, that I understand. Is that they then enter the weird predestiny universe where Pucci is talking about resignation to fate as true happiness (except he himself can change destiny, loving up by giving Emporio Weather Report), and then dying before Cape Canaveral which is somehow significant, and then the universe resets again and we get the Ireneverse. Am I right in thinking there's three universes, or am I misinterpreting what happens at Green Dolphin Street Prison?

Also also, I just started Steel Ball Run, and I'm definitely enjoying Pocoloco's Fortunate Occurences.

Basically, the universe ordinarily repeats itself in broad tendencies, but Made In Heaven can control it to provide perfect repetition and thus give people complete foreknowledge through being reincarnated as themselves and having all their original memories. Killing Pucci before this loop closes causes it to snap back to the normal state of affairs, where there are similar people doing similar things in similar places, but there's room to change things, and foreknowledge is limited to deja vu. (This may be how Thoth, Epitaph, and Rolling Stone work, too).

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kabanaw posted:

I still think that the SBR universe is the messed-up reset of the original universe. Not because there's any evidence of it that belongs outside conspiracy theories (look at the family tree! It mirrors the original up until Holly marries someone else, because Jolyne and Jotaro don't exist in this world!), but because it's a cool way to tie the stories together.

I only mention this because I see people bringing up that they're two completely separate stories as justifications for why the rules are different, but they may not be completely separate. Also this is Araki we're talking about and he doesn't need anything as flimsy as "reasons" to retcon his story.

It would be more interesting if he took the idea from the Jorge Joestar novel about it being the first universe and just ran with it.

Or if parts 1-6 were all in different iterations of the universe under Made in Heaven and that's why fate exists. Then in SBR and JJL, there is no FATE anymore. Yeah, that would be a bomb-rear end fanfiction.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ZeroCount posted:

Pucci owns and hes the only bad guy before Valentine who is evil for purposes besides 'uh I guess I'm just naturally evil huh'. And the fights he actually shows up in are cool as hell.

"woah! This priest dug crucifix into his own fingernail to give him a few more inches of reach, this fight sucks!" -ADTRW guy

loving Diavolo has more realistic motivations than Pucci.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Begemot posted:

That guy, Versace, was one of my favorites in part 6. His backstory was the same as the protagonist for the book/movie Holes, for absolutely no reason. And the power to LITERALLY dig up the past was used in some insane and creative ways.

Like when he dug up an old version of Jotaro that had his stand disc sticking out his head so that he could steal it.

The best part is that Araki wrote the Under World chapters before the movie came out, so he read this American's children book and liked it so much he slipped in references.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Momomo posted:

He also apparently had Jolyne spoil an American movie before it even came to Japan.

I'm trying to figure out when the Jail House Lock chapters got published, because there were only three months between the American and Japanese releases of the Sixth Sense. Plenty of time for him to do it in with a weekly schedule, of course.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ZeroCount posted:

Pucci is actually really easy to understand. He's a guy who did a really bad thing that turned out really awful for everyone involved and he nearly does the right thing and blames himself but in the end he refuses to take responsibility and instead heavily invests everything he has into a belief system where nothing anyone does matters and where nobody is truly responsible for anything because an absolute fate rules everything in an inscrutable plan. This way it's not really his fault that everything about his family is so hosed up, it was just [gravity].

So in the end his idea of Heaven is a world where everyone is aware of what they are going to do before they do it and powerless to do anything else because in the really twisted headspace he's ended up in, this is the ideal world where everyone is free. Only he can act because he takes up the role of God, the one who can now decide fate rather than just be its plaything.

Stone ocean is about prisons you see.

Kewl. Diavolo just wants to make bank and stay on top.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Momomo posted:

Can someone explain what Diavolo's backstory actually is, because the only reference I have is the manga itself, and we all know what that's like.

Also was Doppio supposed to be the original, or was Diavolo?

Diavolo is the original personality, and Doppio is his creation. It's not outright stated, but you can see it in the body language.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

HitTheTargets posted:

What little we see of Diavolo kinda makes him out to be a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Cobra Commander wants to make bank and stay on top too.

Yes. That's a much more human and realistic motivation than following an inane interpretation of a crazy vampire's diary to conjure up a time loop and allow people to peacefully accept suffering.

Beef Waifu posted:

It's doesn't make sense because we're given very little detail on who he was as a person when he was younger or why he did anything. Diavolo's backstory is very minimalistic to go with his character of wanting to keep himself hidden from the world and no one to know about his very existence.

It's also quite possible that most of it is lies to prevent people from investigating further into his background. There's also some Jesus references that may or may not be intentional.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Moltrey posted:

Yeah basically. It's up to you what you think is true from Diavolo's past. He's not telling and there's no one alive who can tell us anyway. Trish is another one of the big inconsistencies in Diavolo's past. He wants to remain secretive, but had sex with someone? It's like him being born and conceived in a female prison with no male guards. poo poo just doesn't make sense.

All we know for sure is he runs the Mafia, has a crazy fashion sense, and becomes a completely different person mentally and physically when he puts on a sweater.

Trish predates the foundation of Passione according to the given backstory, since she's as old as Giorno, and Diavolo was only 18 when she was born.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Re-reading part 4 because of this thread.

I forgot how much of a lovable dork Koichi is. Also does anyone know if Bad Company is based on the Stephen King story Battleground? There was a sweet made for TV movie of the story in 2006 that almost feels like a Jojo fight.

The helicopters make it pretty blatant as a reference.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

a cartoon duck posted:

but how does king crimson work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbf1ei7-aK4

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Part 4 is poorly written in the same way that a novel that consisted solely of unrelated Alice Munro short stories would be poorly written. Each individual part is good, but they don't really add up to a cohesive whole.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hoobajoo posted:

So every collection of short stories is poorly written? I don't think most people could agree with that.

That's an anthology, not a novel, poster hoobajoo.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

If you paid me some money, I could write you a really good paper on the literary merit of part 4 of Jojo's. I won't do it for free because I'm not a dumbass, but if you gave me some money I would very easily.

I'll give you all my steam items, I think that's a fair value.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Soylentbits posted:

That's how serialized fiction works. It's literally how Dickens wrote fiction.

That's why every other part featured lengthy sections where the plot stands still, right?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Soylentbits posted:

Again yes like pretty much all types of serialized fiction.

Edit: I actually think I misunderstood your post. But I don't see why the quality of its writing would be at all affected by the pacing of previous or future arcs.

I'm not talking about the quality of writing. I'm talking about the quality of the story's construction as a whole. Part 4 has long sections where the plot stops entirely and we have a little side adventure. This happens as early as the Surface fight, and you could argue for The Lock as well. These parts are well-written, but they weaken the story because all they do is draw things out.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kurtofan posted:

Part IV isn't just a "fight the villain" shonen, it's also a slice-of-life kind of manga.

There's still, consistently, a plot driving the characters except for the chapters between Red Hot Chili Pepper and Harvest. There are also a number of shonen series that are episodic in nature. It's a hybrid, but the story doesn't hold itself together as cohesive, in part because of this.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hoobajoo posted:

So why is it better if it's named something different, or was made in a different way? None of that poo poo matters, if it's good it's good because of the content, no matter what you call the format it's written in.

Hmm, well, if you want to believe that analysis should stop at "is this good", then you may do so. I disagree, however.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Just ignore effectronica. he's a boring troll, a pedant, and also not very smart.

*sighs, starts looking for the keys to trigger the meltdown sequence*

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I'd like to "meltdown" your posts, making diarrhea, and then flush them lol

What are your goals here?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

ah i see you subscribe to the SMG school of thought

gently caress off, ice rear end.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
people keep talking up jolyne but there's one person perfectly fitted to kick steely dan's rear end one-on-one.

okuyasu

(or, being serious, FF)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Butt Ghost posted:

Oh never mind. Setting herself on fire it is.
Yeah, since death is null against Okuyasu. He is literally the strongest Stand user in the universe. But also the dumbest.

the joke i was trying for was that he's so dumb he wouldn't even notice lovers tearing apart his brain

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Aurora posted:

Giorno lost GER after the battle because it lost the arrow.

Is this from an artbook, or...

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Stairmaster posted:

It'll be figured out in like twenty seconds.

ten of which had been erased

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

YF-23 posted:

Really, "USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS" is not as awkward as people say it is.

to say or to read? because it's not awkward to read but saying it is pretty much impossible in english because the repeated phonemes slur into one another and become indistinguishable. granted, that's only a problem for dubbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

YF-23 posted:

To read or hear. It would be awkward to say, yeah, but then so would a lot of "normal" lines in most anime roles.

I honestly don't know how you could dub it without stupid audio engineering tricks. I guess having a guy just say "useless. useless. useless." would convey the meaning alright.

• Locked thread