Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So are my eyes deceiving me, or do I actually see both Distant Worlds: Universe Edition and a Close Combat game in the "Coming Soon" section of Steam?

Has Matrix finally seen the light?

Apparently yeah, and while you'd be able to look at the other games by the same publisher as easy as I can, I'm going to get excited and post obvious poo poo anyway. Battle Academy and Panzer Corps are already available, in addition to Pride of Nations and Rise of Prussia returning. Alea Jacta Est has been Greenlit and Pandora: First Contact and Qvadriga are on their way as well.

Not only that but if you buy them from Matrix you get the Matrix download, and the physical copy if you want it (like I do) as well as a Steam key. It's probably more expensive and maybe defeats the purpose to some people but I'm excited. Distant Worlds: Universe in this case especially is apparently going to be their "effort" physical edition version, with an actual printed manual. Only two days to go!

Also this is completely unrelated but Panzer Tactics from the DS is getting a HD remake and is out soon: http://store.steampowered.com/app/277630

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Holy crap Warhammer 40k in the Panzer Corps engine. That's going to almost cost them a Panzer Corps purchase with that news, because I'll just wait for that.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 22, 2014

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

TonySnow posted:

A lot of people bash on the AGEOD games

I've forgotten why is the case; can someone please remind me?

This is a new OP for Grognard games and I think the old one had an explanation but this new one is a lot lighter. In a Grognard game thread. The shame.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Alikchi posted:

I like them - well, some of them - but I'll admit they have godawful interface design and a very, very clunky engine. AGEOD created a really interesting system that simulates almost everything you'd want in an operational-level wargame, and the games themselves are usually based on fascinating/underappreciated conflicts. But if you try, say, Alea Iacta Est as your first AGEOD game, you should be really into Roman history, because you'll need that boost to push through the AGEOD interface/system learning curve hell.

AIE is going to be my first AGEOD game but I'm going to definitely get Pride of Nations and maybe Rise of Prussia at some point.

I'm pretty confident going in, I just found a copy of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire from a second hand book store.

Riso posted:

They can be also rather slow in processing turns. Pride of Nations being the most egregious example.

I still have fond memories of epic Civ 2 games on my PC where if I hadn't removed enough opponents by the end game, I was waiting 3-5 minutes for the AI to do all it needed to do. I reckon I can handle it.

An aside: what's the Goongnard take on Battle Worlds: Kronos?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I hope Slitherine start to look back at already existing games and not just newer stuff for Steam releases. I don't really want the latest Close Combat that has just been released, I want Last Stand Arnhem. Bring that to Steam, please, Slitherine.

Also, Alea Jacta Est got Greenlit a while ago, hopefully they get it together and push that one out soon. I'm hanging out for that.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
^^^ I don't know if it's exactly like Unity of Command but Panzer Tactics HD recently arrived on Steam

Grey Hunter posted:

I must be one of the few people who still likes the Close Combat games, the AI's wonky, the engine creaks like a rusty door, but god help me, I love the games - maybe its the fact that damage carries on from battle to battle, so you end up blocking streets with tank wreaks and fighting over the shelled out ruins of once whole buildings.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The massive AI improvement patches Matrix deployed to all of the CC games sometime in 2012 actually really helped the pathfinding a whole lot and IMO extended the life of the games another couple years - certainly enough to justify buys on Steam if and when they ever get there, especially Iron Cross and Arnhem.

You guys owe me $70, because these two posts took me off the fence. Persistent damage and the AI (which I'd always heard was the weakest point) being patched was enough to get me to make the purchase, and I can't help but buy boxed copies from Slitherine direct and then redeem my Steam key. I'm happy for you to split it at $35 each.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Is there any opinion/consensus on Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations WOTY? http://store.steampowered.com/app/321410

I'm a real grognard newbie but I have no issue with chucking myself in at the deep end and just winging it.

I'm just reading a lot about the military database being pretty crap with a lot of default values for vehicles all over the place. Also the AI being pretty poor. Basically I don't want to drop that much money on something that isn't going to be worth it. I'm asking about this one specifically because I prefer the more modern settings.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

uPen posted:

Watch some of Baloogan's videos on it.

http://baloogancampaign.com/

Awesome thanks, I'll check them out.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Is there any way to get the manual for WITE remotely so I can print it out on the work printer if I've just bought it online now (from Matrix) and it's Friday afternoon and I don't want to go home and then come back to work with a copy to print it out. I

If it's available from the Matrix site once you've logged in then I can't see it for the life of me.

Also the thread title is eerily accurate to within AUS$5 for this game.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 10, 2015

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

uPen posted:

Unfortunately no, the WitW manual is available online but not the WitE. You'll have to install the game to get the manual but you'll want to update anyways since the manual gets updated occasionally.

Thanks, I had just thought this and I've got the download started now. Does the update occur through the game or should I be searching for an update from the site?

vvv That's good because I just found the update link on the site but it's from an FTP that doesn't want to work.

Edit: Well for what it's worth the current available download seems to be the most recent version. It didn't find any updates.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 10, 2015

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I'm guessing/desperately hoping that the patches for WitP are cumulative, because I'm having enough trouble getting the game to auto-update itself so I'm going for manual patching, I don't want to have to do this for any more than the most recent one.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I can't actually get it to download anyway. Either the launcher or the website, it gets to 100%, hangs for a while, then fails. Turned off the virus scanner, tried downloading through Chrome instead of Firefox, no luck :(

For some reason it never occurred to me to use the oldest, shittiest browser I had to try it. IE worked fine.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 10, 2015

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Holy crap the Combat Mission demos have a lot of content. Here I was thinking I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to go on with each game to decide on which one to get.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

And that's without the patch updates or the base game and expansion combined. It's one thing to see the content on its own but when it's all jammed together it's a staggering scenario list to go through sometimes.

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on Normandy, and then go for Black Sea later, but I just can't decide because so many other grog games I have are WW2 already :ohdear:

Also I can't work out if I need to purchase that $10 v3.0 patch for Normandy because the main game screen says that it's v3.0 already, but the patch page says nothing about this.

I'm also assuming there is very little point in getting anything physical posted to me, I'm predicting a simple CD in a sleeve?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Haha holy poo poo

"Here is your 10GB download link direct from our servers with no alternative download options at all"

*browser is given Files.zip to download*

:allears:

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Whoa, I just got an email from Matrix/Slitherine with a "thanks for being with us for 3 years" and a discount voucher for 41% off my next purchase, which after testing I can confirm stacks on top of the Xmas sale that goes through until Jan 10th.

Unfortunately I can't see anywhere in my Matrix account when my account was created (I created my Matrix account well before my Slitherine one), but if anyone here knows theirs, and is aware that they are due an anniversary soon, maybe hold out until you get your email for super holiday discounts.

fuf posted:

Also I just happened to read some of your SoW Waterloo performance thread and one of the developers claimed that the FPS problems might be caused by people having too much dust inside their PCs.

:allears:

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

markgreyam posted:

after testing I can confirm stacks on top of the Xmas sale that goes through until Jan 10th.

Okay don't do this. I closed down my browser before making a purchase and now the link to the my discount code is telling me the token is no longer valid, so apparently the system thinks I used the code, so it's not actually waiting for a transaction to occur, just for the code to be applied. Fingers crossed support can help me out because with a 41% discount I'm ready to drop a hundred bucks on stuff.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
As soon as I posted, I realised what I'd said haha

I'm going through the sale now under the assumption this can be sorted out, working out what I want, it's really look like I will spend more :ohdear:

I can get the Scourge of War Gettysburg 150th Anniversary Collection for AUS$34 ...

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Generation Internet posted:

You joke, but von Brauchitsch's birthday is actually modeled in the game and there's an associated decision regarding getting him a present.

Oh man all this DC:B talk has me really wanting to use this discount voucher I have to get this game. I'm trying to control myself but 41% off of the xmas sale prices from Matrix games :homebrew: and DC:B won't get a discount like that for a while surely.

Is there any reason to not consider Advanced Tactics : Gold and Order of Battle : Pacific if I like the look of them? If I haven't played much of Panzer Corps yet can I live without OOB:P for now? I mean, for example if I already have CMANO it seems pointless to pick up Harpoon CE.

Are those Ian McNeil games any good? Like Chariots of War and Spartan/Gates of Troy? I like the idea of setting up armies and then just having them dogpile.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I've just realised that the devs for Decisive Campaigns are the same as Advanced Tactics. I've owned Warsaw to Paris for a while, but haven't got around to it yet, while managing to not find that a reason to slowly become self-deprecating :smug:

The random map option in Advanced Tactics sounds really good, but is it worth getting if I've got DC:WtP and is there anywhere near the same level of awesome human-level drama as what it sounds like DC:B has in either previous DC games? DC: Code Blue isn't on my purchasing shortlist but if it's worth getting over Advanced Tactics then I might swap stuff around.

Given the scarcity of such an all-encompassing sale, and this surprisingly high voucher I'm basically looking to store my grognard nuts for the winter and buying up stuff now with the intention of not considering anything else until this time next year. When I expect an even higher voucher :crossarms:

SlyFrog posted:

Also, I do not seem to have this magical "You're a Good Customer" coupon from Matrix/Slitherine. Which is kind of pissing me off. Given that I own several games from them that I know I've had for years.

"Played" something. That's a gas.

The email said that it was for a three year account anniversary, so I apparently conveniently created an account just prior to xmas back then. I don't know where a 41% discount comes from and I doubt this is relevant but my "several" games is more like 50 across both Matrix and Slitherine accounts, although easily over a third of that is DLC and most of that is Panzer Corps and Alea Jacta Est DLC and soon to be Battle Academy DLC.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

corn in the bible posted:

It used to be you would buy it, get a 2 week download link and a serial, and that was it. So they're learning I guess

That's still exactly what you get, right down to the 14 day link, but you can obviously now assign your key to your account (it still doesn't happen automatically or in some sort of nominated way during a purchase) to get the Steam key (e: Not sure why I thought it was state the obvious time). On top of the fun process of redeeming 15 keys into both my Matrix and Slitherine accounts :spergin: the Order of Battle Pacific Steam key has been a duplicate the last four times I've tried it and the nice support guy has reset it for me.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 16, 2015

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Baloogan posted:

for whatever god forsaken reason DW has a built in voice recognition system so you can yell commands at your bridge crew and make every who ever loved you hate you a little more every time you say something like "make your course two niner zero, make turns for zero five knots"

What the hell, that's the greatest thing ever.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

COOL CORN posted:

Is there a torrent out there for the CMANO database files? It's like 3gigs total to directly download and it's going to take 5 hours or something.

Get a Steam key from Slitherine if you need to (I don't know if CMANO is one of the games where Slitherine key = Steam key cause I bought my copy on Steam during a sale, if not you have to generate it through your account), the Steam download should be a lot quicker.

e: Sorry yeah I kind of figured I wasn't really on the same page.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 3, 2016

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
What was the name of that ironclad-era ship game that was super groggy that everyone was getting excited about some time ago? Sorry I can't go through pages and page to try and find it. I'm wondering if it's getting an end of year sale (lol of course not) as I peruse the Matrix sale. Both Jutland and Distant Guns have no discount at the moment, and I'm doing my now-traditional end-of-year-plus-anniversary-discount Matrix sale splurge and I don't really want the theme to just be Napoleon games (Scourge of War and Wars of Napoleon) and DLC for Panzer Corps and CMANO.

I'm also wondering if anyone has played this: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/337/details/Carriers.at.War

vvv: That's the one, thank you! No sale but at least I'll keep an eye on it.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 4, 2016

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
If I buy Command: Northern Inferno it says that "It also serves as a DLC for existing CMANO owners". Does this mean that I can simply start up CMANO if I want to play those scenarios or am I going to be starting up a specific Northern Inferno game to play them. If it's the latter that bothers me more than it should :spergin: but I can't find an answer to it in the forums.

And because it's CMANO talk, do I need to bother owning Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition if I own CMANO? The Harpoon games always intrigued me as a kid (Doom and then Civ 2 put paid to that) so part of me kind of wants to get it but I don't know if it's really worth it.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 5, 2016

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, firing up CNI and CMANO fires up the same exe, its all one big install. Be really annoying imo if like, you needed two copies of the 4 gig terrain datasets for CNI and CMANO..

The warfare sims guys started off modding harpoon, DB2000 is all warfare sims. Might be worth buying if you are curious I guess lol, the harpoon UI is the most painful piece of design ever. It started off pre-windows, and includes its own windowing system.

I'd kind of assumed the db stuff, I was more hoping that it didn't fire up a different exe which then might have just been needlessly annoying when I'd rather just be able to get Northern Inferno and have it literally just count as DLC for CMANO, which it admittedly does say but as it's sold as a stand-alone I just wanted confirmation that it would do that if I owned CMANO first.

Harpoon certainly looks messy with the UI but I have a vague recollection of a tutorial that started somewhere in Australia and launching F-18s against incoming targets or something like that, and despite lacking a single patriotic bone in my body, being :australia: and all it kind of endeared itself to me in due to that. Having said that, it's still like about $5 out of "Get it for the sake of it territory", even after discount stacking.

I'm also going all in on Sengoku Jidai and no-one can stop me. I'm also eyeing off Norm Koger's Operational Art of War III for (again) the nostalgia unless anyone wants to warn me away from that.

Speaking of which, man the personal sites/stores for Norm Koger and John Tiller are just such a blast from the past. If you've never looked at them, let me be not be alone in feeling guilty at unintentionally laughing at them.

http://www.normkoger.com/games.html
http://john-tiller-software.myshopify.com/

Dirt Worshipper posted:

The talonsoft stuff isn't bad for their time and genre though, I'm enjoying this enough I might update the graphics on his new stuff

Honestly I think that looks really good, for the type of game we're talking about. Is that John Tiller's Background Napoleonic Wars? Some of the stuff on Tiller's own page definitely looks like the desire to make it look a little more presentable is no longer there.

I've talked myself out of the latest AGEOD Napoleon game because even the Matrix forums are making GBS threads on it, and I'm not sure if the Scourge of War games are my thing, so I've got a little more budget to play with now so a few of these older, cheaper titles seem like they might be worth a shot.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

gizmojumpjet posted:

Planning a strike with some F-16s out of Yemen, had the F-16s form up near a support patrol of tankers. I assigned the Falcons to the strike mission and watched them transit three-quarters of the way to the target, before hooking a U-ey to go back to refuel. Instead of, you know, topping up before beginning their strike.

I found this genuinely funny, maybe because I'm overtired and played this out in my head as though it was the post mission brief. If "hooking a U-ey" isn't already official military parlance then it should be.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Oh he is a libertarian that is a shocker

I deliberately avoided mentioning this when pointing and laughing at his site firstly because ugh and also because it sometimes feels like this is the only* grognard forum gathering that isn't full of people who ... okay I've settled on the phrase "adopt that mindset". Politically correct like a boss, I am.

*Also really the only grognard forum (not front site, the horrible collection of humanity often hidden under the text "Community" on the front page) I peruse at all, so that's not saying much.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
So what's the secret to get updates to games to complete their download from the Matrix FTP site? The TOAW3 update gets to 213/213 meg and then just fails, and the 3 meg patch for John Tillers Waterloo won't even start.

E: Never mind I think I remember this from last time, you've got to use IE. EE: No, it's not. I think I just keep trying until it decides to work. Sweet.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 6, 2016

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Matrix is having a really good sale running through Jan. 8

ZekeNY posted:

Edit:CMANO for 65% off? :getin:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You know it'll be the same or cheaper on Steam!

You guys/everyone needs to make sure you create an account at Slitherine/Matrix (it's a combined account now) and register any game keys from their games against your account. Preferably create the account this time of year, and each year you'll get an account anniversary coupon that stacks on whatever the current store price is (i.e. launch discount or sales).

So if you do it in December, you'll get that coupon when their xmas sales are on, and as mentioned it stacks. 65% is good, but getting even more on top of that initial discount feels even better. As a more extreme example, this year mine was 47%, but only so high for me because I already have a heap of games registered, but obviously it builds up (I believe the maximum possible is 50%). Northern Inferno cost me $6, and paying $17 for the Collector's Edition version of Sengoku Jidai felt pretty good.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have one but I don't want most games they offer. I'm a filthy casual who will now return to his Hearts of Iron IV

Happy Hedonist posted:

Will they give you a steam key for Northern Inferno?

Any game that looks like this:

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/589/Command:.Northern.Inferno.
http://www.slitherine.com/products/589/details/Command:.Northern.Inferno.

With a "Get this game on Steam" actually comes with a steam key when you buy it from Slitherine/Matrix. So you get the key-requiring but otherwise DRM-free game from them which you can download and play on it's own, and then you'll either find (with newer games, Northern Inferno counts) that very same key working direct into Steam, or you'll have to just click the "Generate Steam Key" link or whatever it's called in your account games list once you register the game with your account. (I use the Slitherine interface just because it's easier, I'm actually not sure how it works under the Matrix site).

Yes, I don't understand why that "Get this game on Steam" thing actually takes you away from their store and to Steam instead of just making it clear that you get a Steam key with a purchase from their site. I don't know the logistics of it all but surely it's just denying them money if they redirect you to buy it through Steam, I really don't know.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Darkrenown posted:

I remember getting this in the past, but I didn't get one this year. Is the discount coupon saved somewhere?

It's not automatically generated but you get an email which gives you a link which then generates the code. I presume this is if you want to save the code for some future game/sale because the codes only last for 30 days once generated, but I don't know how long the email's coupon-generating-ability itself lasts.

My email was from "Matrix & Slitherine Rewards" and was called "Matrix Games & Slitherine - 5 year anniversary reward"

Yooper posted:

I just checked the Matrix/Slitherine shitshow of a unified login and noticed a link called "View my Anniversary Code". Which said no anniversary codes were granted to this user. So, not sure if they just haven't released them yet, or what's going on.

Yeah their whole combined effort thing still has some holes that need to be worked out. I basically do everything through the Slitherine side of things, it seems all round a bit cleaner. Through my Matrix login I can't see any codes with some link that talked about codes but if I follow this link

http://samelogin.slitherine.com/Manage/ListAnniversaryCoupons

I see both codes I've got (apparently this only started last year), but that's only once they've been generated from the email.

Unimpressed posted:

Sure, it stacks, but is there a flanking bonus?

I'm super ashamed that I laughed at this.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I'm being a little patronising here sorry, but make sure you are following the link I gave you and not the Matrix site one (I actually can't find the coupon link through the Slitherine site account page). I know that I followed the link in my email, which showed me a just generated discount on a stand alone page, and then looking at the Matrix site's coupon list for my account gave me "None granted", even though following that link which I found in the forums (probably the Matrix forums, there's a big post on these coupons), showed me the discount that had been generated. Like I said, they're combining their sites but there are bugs to iron out it would seem.

e: In fact, if you found the email, it should have had a link which took you straight to the coupon. I'm sure (and probably remembering it wrong) that the link in the email took me to a page that just showed that discount in a special "ta-da, here's your discount" page, not a list of discounts.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 14, 2016

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Darkrenown posted:

I'm sure. Turns out you only have a month to claim the coupon AND the coupon only lasts 30 days, so it seems weird they bother having it in two steps instead of just saying "here's your coupon."

I guess you can stretch it out conceivably to 60 days, 30 to generate and then 30 to use, reading that reply from them. Of course being one of the blessed Dec account creators means that none of these peasant level problems apply to me

e: This was then going to lead onto me PM'ing you but you don't have PMs, although I've used my voucher anyway but yeah someone should do something about that...

corn in the bible posted:

There's people who will only buy games on steam or who prefer it. I guess. Though I've been burned by the idiotic matrix games download system myself so I sympathise

Seriously, I use their Steam keys every time if they're available. I'm pretty sure the download server comes off a 56k uplink FTP server. Runs better with NetscapeNavigator. The games take forever to download and then inexplicably the patches don't download properly unless I use a download manager because of whatever crazy hijinks their FTP server gets up to with download completion.

Who I am kidding I never play these games anyway.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 15, 2016

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
According the story page for it, the "Core" game is free and has three scenarios, and while the download is a little slow (I suppose I'm being polite there) if it's anything to go by it looks like it would be straight-forward to download the extra modules.

https://store.lnlpublishing.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=193

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

I wish he would tone down/completely turn off whatever mask or filter he's got on there that is making that fake depth-of-field effect. I don't even care if I'm alone in hating that, because it's really bugging me.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
If anyone is interested all the Battle Academy stuff is 75% currently as part of the Bundle Stars sale thing

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/games?search=Battle%20Academy

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

bgreman posted:

Not so much playing it as watching videos of it, which is strange, as I have never really been able to get into watching videos of others playing games.

It's weirdly compelling to watch, isn't it? Also I'd like to genuinely know more about your years long complex space sim Let's Play.

Edit: Okay never mind turns out it's still going and your post history gave me the link I needed.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

ZombieLenin posted:

Maybe $300. That's my limit though. The price of a good GPU. :emo:

Pretty sure that you can safely remove your GPU fan while playing a John Tiller game. Might want to stack another one on top of the CPU when you get to late game though.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Yooper posted:

I think you're doing OK compared to DinoGuy18.

I reviews for that game are so incredibly schizophrenic, it's elegant and deep yet also a coffee-break game (or map painting game?) with simple mechanics and yet the tutorels, they do nothing.

I'm going to have to buy this.

Oh, that's the same guy that did The Viceroy. Looks like he finally ditched the pretty graphics and just decided that it's best to display all the information at once and up the complexity (or not?) to 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Okay that's good/disappointing to know about John Ringo. I want to read the "Council Wars" series but the rest of his books can go off to charity book shops then, same for Weber if that's the case. Sounds like it's much safer to stick with sci-fi authors taking on mil-SF than military authors doing if it's just the realm of right-wing crazies. I just pick up a lot of them at 2nd hand book shops because they look like they might be worth it, haven't got around to reading any yet and I did need to clear out some books if I could so this is useful advice.

Drone posted:

edit: seriously though if i had a dime for every time david weber wrote the phrase "bloated social programs"

Yeah definitely going off to charity book shops then, then the money raised can support social programs.