Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
People have been pulling "it's the last Nintendo console, it is an utter failure, forever" since the Nintendo 64 launched with only two games about seventeen years ago. I really don't think they're going anywhere.

I'm not real sure how anti-competition Mario Kart Wii was. If you played it online you could see who the good players were. They would get first almost constantly regardless of how many lighting bolts and blue shells they got hit by. I was actually one of these people eh EHHeHEH

whaley fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Zomodok posted:

If they didn't have the handheld market on lockdown they would have gone the way of Sega after the failure of the Gamecube and if you don't understand that then I really don't know how else to explain it to you.

So if Nintendo wasn't being successful right now then they would go the way of Sega. That's pretty easy to agree with. I dunno why you have to point that out though. I guess you could say if a giant explosion went off at Nintendo they would go the way of Sega too.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Zomodok posted:

If only their success of the handheld market could transfer into the console market.

I hope they have some luck in this market soon.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

It sounds to me like Nintendo has no good reason to start producing third party software and saying things like "If Nintendo didn't make any money anymore they would become Sega" is stating the obvious and could be said about any company that produces hardware and software that goes with it.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

I use the pro controller for mostly everything but the gamepad is pretty cool for when you need to take a poo poo.

Also I guess Flython doesn't realize you don't have to use the gamepad for anything but the eShop.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Welp I'm retarded

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Shibawanko posted:

The Gamecube looked like poo poo, had bad specs

Wasn't the Gamecube more powerful than the PS2?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Midee posted:

The whole reason for the Wii U tablet in the first place was to play games while someone else watches TV, which sounded good on paper to Nintendo I guess. In reality though you can just buy a cheap 32" Insignia at Best Buy for 2/3 the price of a Wii U and put in the kids room to play their Wii so you can have the main TV all to yourself.

Man I have got to say that telling someone to buy another television instead of a Wii U is one of the most retarded things I have ever read.

I must be the biggest idiot but switching to the gamepad and putting something else on the television is pretty drat great. I use both at once. It is wacky.

whaley fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 12, 2013

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Quest For Glory II posted:

Although I'd rather it didn't sell that well, only because I don't want Nintendo to say "oh this clearly sells more, so no more clamshell devices you can fit in your pocket anymore when we do the 4DS"

Well the clamshell probably wouldn't fit in a five to six year olds pocket either really

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Supercar Gautier posted:

Keep on sticking it to imaginary people!

If you haven't noticed yet that's what all 120 something posts over the last four months have been from that person. Eventually after that much posting about something they hate it makes you wonder if they might have something wrong with them.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Toady posted:

If the Wii U has an abysmal Christmas, I wonder what Nintendo's next step would be.

I dunno if people haven't been following Nintendo for the past twenty or so years or what, but I can tell you exactly what Nintendo will do because it's what Nintendo has always done. They will continue to make software for the Wii U, pretend like it's the best system ever, and act like nothing is wrong at all.

I am sitting in my bathroom typing this and have an old EGM in front of me where they're talking to George Harrison (the senior vice president of marketing and corporate communication back then) and he's saying Man we learned so many lessons from the Nintendo 64! This time around we are going to have so many third party developers and third party exclusives on the GameCube! It's gonna be ridiculous! They've done this poo poo for almost as long as I've existed. I don't think they're going to do anything different at all ever.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

WendigoJohnson posted:

Wonderful 101 plays similar to Pikmin

What in the world? You should try these two games out.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

WendigoJohnson posted:

I've played them both.

Would you say StarCraft plays similarly to Wonderful 101 also? Or that maybe Uncharted plays similarly to Devil May Cry because they both have a single character you control

AdmiralViscen posted:

The rest of his post indicates he meant Mario Sunshine. He's right, and it applies to Wind Waker as well.

Did people really not like Sunshine much? I remember a lot of complaining about the levels without the FLUDD but I thought it was fantastic when it came out.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

I've actually been feeling like Smash Brothers would cause a pretty big turnaround on the system. But I could be underestimating how many people buy up Mario Kart. The Mario Kart Wii bundle sold tons and tons of units didn't it? My friends who don't have a Wii U (all of them) are waiting on Smash Brothers so that's probably influencing my thinking a bit.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Spiffo posted:

No biggie, when you get it replaced you can just sign into your account and redownload your g

oh

I'm pretty sure you can actually (get your stuff back anyway). Nintendo gives you eShop credit if your stuff falls apart is what I've always heard. The system transfer from Wii to Wii U was some bullshit though. Hard for Nintendo to refund you six years worth of saved games.

whaley fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 5, 2013

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

It's cool they're talking about keeping support for at least three more years, but I can still play my NES games on my original NES and I got that thing 25 years ago. I'll never adopt completely digital until I can get that great of mileage out of one of these new machines.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

splifyphus posted:

You think modern optical media is going to last you 25+ years?

I feel like I can rely on a game on a disc better than a Playstation 3 or Xbox 420 hard drive. Maybe I is wrong? I haven't heard about anyone's physical games going bad by themselves but I don't have any 25 year old discs either hEhaW

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

CapnAndy posted:

I will bet you money right now it's going to get slaughtered. GTA V is going to beat it around, and then it's going to get simply buried underneath the next-gen tidal wave.

I'm interested to know how big a tidal wave the next gen stuff is really going to be. There isn't really that much to be excited about on the new systems this year. A bunch of ports of current gen games and then even more first person shooters.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

One and the Same posted:

But the Gamepad. :negative: None of the games I want for the WiiU even require it. I don't care if I wouldn't be able to play Nintendoland or whatever if they released a cheap SKU sans Gamepad.

Man you just don't know how good needing to poop and not having to stop playing is yet

Quest For Glory II posted:

Testing time is not why it's taking them so long to release VC games. They just think this 'trickle' effect causes each new game added to be more desirable.

This is probably what it is really. Nintendo has always done this from what I can tell. It's why their game delays always happen to delay the game to a really conveniently empty spot. I have a feeling Twilight Princess was finished forever and just sat around for an entire year waiting for the Wii to come out.

whaley fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 13, 2013

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Who the hell bought a game where Miiverse messages pop up with people saying "THIS GAME IS BROKEN" next to SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST on the main screen you see when you turn on your console?

whaley fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 13, 2013

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

Is that what people think about the 2DS as well?

People really are saying this about the 2DS and it makes no sense whatsoever. The best part is people thinking Nintendo was just trying to pull out an iPad console because of the touchscreen when Nintendo has been been talking about touchscreen controllers, along with actually doing touchscreen poo poo, far longer than Apple has.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

kater posted:

Yeah because of all that awesome touchscreen stuff Nintendo included in... uh... nothing ever.

That's all well and good but it doesn't explain people thinking Nintendo is trying to make an iPad by making a television version of their handheld that came out three years before the iPhone, or five years before the iPad.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

I'ts funny Nintendo still treats developers the exact same way they did when they had a stranglehold on the market almost thirty years ago in that they should be honored to even be creating a game for a Nintendo console. You'd think they would have noticed they aren't in that position anymore by now.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

They still have the official Nintendo seal on stuff but it doesn't say "of quality" anymore.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

unimportantguy posted:

People keep suggesting that Nintendo should bring more powerful hardware to the market as if it would fix anything, but I really don't think it would do much at all as far as courting third party developers. Industry talking heads have said time and again over the last decade that people buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games, and there's little point in developing for a Nintendo platform because people will just buy Mario instead. Even the Wii pretty much only sold Nintendo games, party game collections, and Just Dance. It doesn't matter if your system *can* run GTA5 if nobody is interested in buying it for that platform. Even when Nintendo's consoles are successful and well-advertised, they don't bring in third-party developers because there's no money to be had there.

Yeah I don't think most people's idea of "get a bunch of developers to make their gun shooting games for Nintendo's system too" is really going to make them start selling when there are two other systems for that already.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Its amazing that the 2 giants of the 16bit generation are going to both end up as software developers for their rivals.

If you think this then you probably haven't followed how stubborn Nintendo has been for the last billion years. I'm pretty certain Nintendo would rather go out of business than create games for other companies and they have even stated as much.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Mercury_Storm posted:

Hey this actually looks pretty fun! Also as a plus, my Gamecube is still hooked up to my TV so I won't even need to mess with wires.

Tell me what it's like to be completely blind

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Is the WiiU the next Ouya?

Is Amazon!? :o

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

I wonder if the thought that people know the WiiU exists, know it's out, and know that it is a whole new console but don't want to buy it at any price because it simply isn't compelling ever wakes anyone up in the middle of the night. I bet it occurs to Reggie when he sees his reflection in the mirror while he's washing his hands after his 2am dump.

What I'm saying is I really don't buy the whole "most people don't even know about it!" excuse people keep making for this thing.

The majority of people don't know it exists. I have a feeling a lot of people here think the entire planet is as informed as the Something Awful forums. Kind of like the guy who says above me "even if people did know it existed, the stigma of a dying comsole will keep them from buying it. " like some kids mother sees a commercial on tv for a new Nintendo system with a pretty new Mario game and says "Here is a Nintendo for my child but I hear it is a dying console from my time on video game message boards and from reading NPD sales stats so nevermind."

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

They should just advertise it as a crunk gaming console and not even show the tablet but still include it. You buy it and open it up and surprise there's a giant controller in there too. Then no one will be confused until it's too late.

Oh yeah, once again, you are probably blind as poo poo if you think the Wii U is only as powerful as an XBox 360 or PlayStation 3

whaley fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 5, 2013

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Astro7x posted:

I was interested in W101, but then played the demo and wasn't feeling it. I also didn't like the MGS Revengence demo and haven't played Bayonetta

drat. Look at this weakling.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Install Windows posted:

Well you can't go too far before the wireless signal cuts out and the tablet controller only has a few hours battery life.

Yeah I can go across my entire two story home with it so I guess that's not very far really. It'd only be cool if I could drive to the grocery store and still play it.

whaley fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 9, 2013

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Install Windows posted:

Mine barely works in the bedroom that's 10 feet and a wall away from the TV I have my Wii U plugged into.

drat your house sucks. Maybe you have an air conditioner, a running microwave, and a refrigerator in that ten foot space.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Fat_Cow posted:

So, 685 WiiU's were sold?

Hahagah, and also, does this mean's 685 Wii U's was sold?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

There was a game that actually used WiiConnect24?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Maybe the Wii U will gain from the PS4 and XBox One launches when people realize the Wii U has good exclusive games and the PS4 and XBox One have nothing but last-gen ports and that's it but I don't think people are that observant. I don't even see the promise of any good games on those systems at this point unless I'm really missing something but everyone is still throwing a fit over them anyway because Crosshair Aimer Version 7 Million has a higher resolution.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Spiffo posted:

As opposed to New Super Mario Bros 6?

When did the last 3D Mario come out, like three years ago? The frequency is way less than the multi-platform spanning endlessly cloned Grown Men With Guns game that has had like 90 different variations come out every year for over half a decade now. I mean really what do you get on the new systems that wasn't already coming out? A free to play Killer Instinct by a random developer and the mediocre series Killzone? I guess Infamous is fairly unique.

whaley fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 21, 2013

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

TaurusOxford posted:

As opposed to the WiiU which can't even get full ports of current-gen games? You seriously think the WiiU is going to do BETTER when it has to compete with four consoles as opposed to just two?

See I knew people were more interested in last-generation ports than new games. But no, I don't think it's going to do much better actually.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Astro7x posted:

No, I think that's exactly what he meant.

You're right, that's what I was saying.

whaley fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Fulchrum posted:

Contrast, Resogun, Octodad, Blast EM Bunnies, Rime, The Witness, Don't Starve, Doki Doki Universe, Soma, Everyone Gone To The Rapture, Rays the Dead, Outlast, Nuclear Throne, Secret Ponchos, Helldivers, Galak-Z, Mercenary Kings, Basement Crawl......

But please, do continue whining how there's nothing new.

Sorry but I wasn't complaining about there not being anything new at all you weirdo. That's a very nice list of multi-platform releases you have there in response to my post about exclusives. Basement Crawl is an exclusive though, and is going to ruin Nintendo this holiday season.

whaley fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 27, 2013

• Locked thread