Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I just started playing this game a couple weeks ago and am a hopeless addict. Is there generally a big all-DLC sale that goes on every now and again? I REALLY want to have all the stuff and I'm dying from the stress of restraining myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For Ironmode can't you just set autosave to every week and use that all the time? Or does it lock autosaves into every year?

davecrazy posted:

The two second stutter every month introduced by this patch is super annoying

Pretty sure this is the game saving every month on Ironmode.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I saw in the description for Sons of Abraham that it allows you to restart the Jewish Kingdom of Israel. That sounds interesting to me, is it particularly fun/as crushingly hard as it sounds?

Yes.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

hellsjudge posted:

I think I did? But now I am not sure, I will try it again next time I load up my game.

I just tried to do this in my game as 2 well and it didn't give me the option either.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
My Mongol Empire was going along swimmingly, I'd conquered half of the world, and then a holy war gets declared on me for Jerusalem. I'd been having issues with rebellions every freakin' year for the liberation of Jerusalem and figured, hey, this is my chance. I can convert, create that kingdom, and then reconvert pretty easily, right?

So, the tooltip only says that your character converts. It doesn't warn you that HALF YOUR EMPIRE does too.

:(

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Rejected Fate posted:

You know we had talk of a succession game going on a while ago but it never got off the ground, does anyone want to try again now that the new patch is out?

Would this be a each person plays one ruler, pass-the-save-around game? If so, I'm totally in.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Rejected Fate posted:

Mhmm, I can probably get a thread and an update up soon. Anyone want to suggest a starting position? I figure Old Gods start date would be best to give the most time but I'd be up for any other suggestions.

Succession game turn order:
Rejected Fate
hellsjudge
pwnyXpress
aqu
Lurksion
QuoProQuid
alcaras

I definitely vote Old Gods. I'd prefer to start as a pagan of some sort as well, but don't care which.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Allyn posted:

Either winning a crusade, or someone who hired them didn't pay their bills and they declared war on them in return. (Don't know if that can actually happen with holy orders, but I'd assume so, because it can with merecenary bands.)

Holy orders can only attack people not of their faith, though, and you can only hire them if you have the same faith.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

The fact that it's infrequent is a point in my favor, I would think. First of all, it'd make it easier to find them all when you do pick up a title that lets you do it. Second, often you can't because they're at war, and it'd be nice to get a notification when you can. Third, sometimes I forget to do it.

This is totally what upsets me about the "You Can Usurp A Title" notification. It doesn't let you because they are usually at war, and so you just have to keep checking back periodically and hope you get lucky in a lull of activity. If it only popped up when you could actually do it and afford to do it, THAT would be helpful.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I asked in the EU4 thread too, but haven't gotten a response yet.

So I've got this weird issue I can't find any help on. I'm trying to start a EU4 game using a CK2 converted save. The save shows up in the mods list in the launcher like it is supposed to, I make sure it is selected and start the game, and once the game is loaded nothing it still appears to be vanilla, and in the in-game mod menu I can see the save there listed as inactive. Anyone have or know of this issue? Everywhere I searched it seems to go unanswered with a bunch of idiots just saying "did you select the mod in the launcher" when I've already made it clear that I have.

I just want my glorious Mongol Empire to continue forever. :(

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

pwnyXpress posted:

I asked in the EU4 thread too, but haven't gotten a response yet.

So I've got this weird issue I can't find any help on. I'm trying to start a EU4 game using a CK2 converted save. The save shows up in the mods list in the launcher like it is supposed to, I make sure it is selected and start the game, and once the game is loaded nothing it still appears to be vanilla, and in the in-game mod menu I can see the save there listed as inactive. Anyone have or know of this issue? Everywhere I searched it seems to go unanswered with a bunch of idiots just saying "did you select the mod in the launcher" when I've already made it clear that I have.

I just want my glorious Mongol Empire to continue forever. :(

Anyone?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Nightblade posted:

Did you copy the resulting mod into the EU4 directory under steam, or in my documents? Did you export in "observe" mode? Since you say you've activated it in the launcher I assume it's not a linux/macOS problem... I don't really have any idea, that's all I got from searching. Maybe something went wrong during the conversion, have you tried converting again?

The mod shows up in the launcher without copying it from the location it generates in the CK2 files. I did try copying it into the EU4 directory in my documents, but not in steam, so maybe that's it. I don't even know how to get into "observe" mode, I was playing as my emperor when I exported it from the ESC menu. I tried exporting a second time and that one has the same problem. I'll try copying into steam when I get a chance and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Just tried it and got the same result. Welp.

pwnyXpress fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 14, 2014

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Rincewind posted:

Do the actual files in the exported mod look right? An easy way to check would be to look at the country localization files in the mod and see if all of the wacky CK2 tags that aren't in the basegame are there.

I'm not too familiar with what should be in the base game. I looked through the localisation folder in the exported mod, though, and it's got a lot of things like this in it:
code:
l_english:
 Z00: "Realm of the God-King"
 Z00_ADJ: "Mongol"
That Z00 refers to my one world-wide empire, I assume, since there is only one file in the history/countries folder titled "Z00" that shows this:
code:
# Realm of the God-King
government = steppe_horde
mercantilism = 0.1
technology_group = western
primary_culture = mongol
religion = tengri_pagan_reformed
capital = 410
1381.8.21 = {
	monarch = {
		name = "Arkhai"
		dynasty = "Borjigin"
		adm = 4
		dip = 6
		mil = 5
	}
}
1443.8.28 = {
	heir = {
		name = "Akhutai"
		monarch_name = "Akhutai"
		dynasty = "Borjigin"
		birth_date = 1443.8.28
		death_date = 1523.8.28
		adm = 5
		dip = 5
		mil = 5
	}
}
1444.11.11 = {
	add_treasury = 357
	add_prestige = 9088
}
I guess I don't know what you mean by "wacky" CK2 tags, maybe.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
For how long have there been hidden generals in armies? Like, I raise my levies, combine them all, and all the automatically assigned generals from all the separate parts stay in the army. I lost a fantastic heir because he died in battle when he wasn't assigned to any of the three positions.

Also, the year is after 1220 or something in my multiplayer game, I've reformed the Norse religion, and it won't let me call Great Holy Wars for the reason that "the era of pagan great holy wars has not begun" or something like that. Isn't that supposed to begin at 1100?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

SeaTard posted:

Pagans need to have both Crusades and Jihads enabled before they can use their own crusade mechanic.

They've been going back and forth in crusades and jihads for some time now. Anything else I need to look for?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

HenessyHero posted:

Moral Authority of at least 50.0?

Yep. Been hovering around 80-90 for a while.

Maybe the game is just broken? The popup for the Teutonic Order being founded occurs every few years for some reason.

Honestly, it's a pretty weird game we're playing. Started at the Stamford Bridge start, it's my friend's first time so I made him play in Ireland and I decided I wanted a ridiculous challenge so I chose one of the very few remaining Norse religion leaders and made it my goal to restore the faith. Some many generations later and I've become Fylkir, conquered most of Russia and Scandinavia, allied with both the Ilkhanate and Golden Hordes, and my buddy has become Jewish and is struggling to hold Ireland and Scotland under his belt with constant faction wars and revolts. I think Norse might be a little OP, so I don't really NEED the Great Holy War...but it sure would be nice to take all of Germany out of the HRE's hands in one fell swoop.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
In my current game I used the leader creator to create an awesome Welsh Zoroastrian and started in the Old Gods start in the Duchy of Armenia. In 50 years I conquered almost the entire middle-east, most of the Byzantines, and everything around the Black Sea. I'm currently Saoshyant Emperor of Persia, and gave the Kingdom of Persia to the Immortals. Pretty cool, game.

That is to say, the Longbow retinue and leader creator are OP.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Tsyni posted:

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the thread recently. Is there some issue with achievements and iron man? I am not using mods, and I played one game where the tool-tip for iron man on the loading screen said the save was messed up and achievements were disabled, so I started a new game and got some achievements at first, but now I'm not getting ones that I should be andddd I have no idea why.

I've been wondering about this too. I've been playing an ironman byzantine game, and the Pentarch, Legacy of Rome, and SPQR achievements popped just fine, but since then I should have also earned Empressive, United the Kingdoms, And Stay Out!, and Keeping it in the Family achievements, none of which have showed up. I was also going for the Persistent Survivor one in this run, but since the others aren't popping I'm less inclined to finish it.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Chevalier Cat posted:

Does anybody know what the requirements are for the "And Stay Out!" achievement? Defeating the initial Aztec invasion didn't seem to trigger it. Was I supposed to let them gain a foothold before handing them their asses?

You have to destroy all their event troops in addition to ridding their holdings (if they get any). If you get to 100% in the initial invasion but they still have some scattered armies and you make peace you're screwed, in my experience.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Drone posted:

I actually quite like the Celt face pack, and loathe the Norse one. The Norse face pack just gives everyone this ugly tinge of greyish-blue that feels so fake somehow.

The Mediterranean pack isn't THAT awful. All in all I say get each of the face packs, since it's only 50 cents and for better or worse they do add a lot of variety to the game.

You all need to stop talking about how awesome the music packs are, now I'm seriously considering getting some. :negative: What are the best music packs of the bunch? And does the music only fire when you're playing a specific type of ruler? (ie: Byzantine music pack only plays when you're in the Byzantine Empire, etc.)

I love that one Byzantine track, but honestly my favorite music pack is the Old Gods one, followed closely by the new India one. The new tracks are really great!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Bishop Rodan posted:

Does anyone else get a CTD when trying to export a game to EU4?

Yeah, it isn't working for me anymore either.

Also, multiplayer seems borked for my friend and I. We tried playing last night and neither of us could join the other's game, nor could we join any of the other games showing on the server list. Anyone else having multiplayer issues? I know one person posted a while back that it seems a lot more stable, but I can't even seem to get it to work.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Why not Mongol Jain Roman Empire? Isn't that like +30 with vassals or something?

If they qualify for tribal invasions, jesus. That'd be ridiculous.

edit: Yup, looks like that would work.

But then you can't marry your genius, strong, attractive sister.

Basically, it's sixes.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
So I tried to find the save file to edit out all the religious unrest modifiers from pre-patch, but I've never done this before. Is it the one in the documents folder? I tried opening that one and it is all gibberish, even though the compress save file option is unchecked.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Eventually I just went through the save file manually and stripped it out. Search for religious_unrest and remove the entire enclosing modifier= { } block. Remember to back the save up first.

There were twenty or thirty instances in mine, so it might take a while.

I'm trying to do this for my save. I figured out that to save it as uncompressed you have to have the box on the save dialog that is unmarked unchecked as well as in the options in the menu (I just had it unchecked in the menu options). Anyhow, I opened up my save and did this, but now when I try to load the edited save file there are no characters to select in the save on the map. Like, everything is gone. All I did was remove all the stuff that looked like this:

code:
	modifier=
			{
				modifier="religious_unrest"
				date="954.8.9"
				inherit=no
				hidden=no
			}
EDIT: Well, that's strange. I guess I may have screwed up and deleted something I shouldn't have 5 TIMES IN A ROW. The 6th time I tried doing this it works. :/

pwnyXpress fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 22, 2014

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Anyone else having an issue with super high infant mortality rates?

Yes, but I may be personally responsible for that.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
So is multiplayer working yet for anyone? And if it is, how do you get it working?

I'm done with finals and a buddy and I really want to play together, but haven't been able to since Rajas hit. We tried last week on Thursday evening also and it still didn't seem to work. Everything went smoothly before Rajas. :(

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

The latest patch fixed the stability issues, as I understand.

We haven't been able to even connect. I guess we'll give it a try again.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

pwnyXpress posted:

We haven't been able to even connect. I guess we'll give it a try again.

So I think I just realized something. I've edited my songs.txt, might that prevent us from playing multiplayer because our songs.txt files don't match?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

SeaTard posted:

Yep, the umads are Sayyid.

They're also reformed West African in my current game as Buddhist India.

Also, the Kingdom of Georgia is the last bastion of Catholicism, and there are no Sunnis left. Cathar won dominance and is all over Spain and Brittania, and Shia took over most of Persia and Mesopotamia...and France. Tengri is the only pagan religion that hasn't reformed. Germany is Jain, Aquitaine/Lotharingia is Messalian, Italy/Sicily is Zoroastrian led by the descendant of the Saoshyant, and Hungary is Samaritan. The Tulinids are Jewish and formed the Kingdom of Israel, and Byzantine is a restored Roman Empire with Roman culture and Hellenic Pagan religion. A large Armenia remains Orthodox. Favorite thing so far? A Karling leading the Hashashin.

Yeah, I used the console to set up some ridiculous initial conditions in the Old Gods start. I'm really liking the way it turned out. Coming up on 1200, and I'm excited for some Aztecs to come and wipe out Cathar Brittania.

This is going to be the best EUIV export ever. :getin:

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Edison was a dick posted:

:catstare:

With the exception of hellenic pagan roman empire, that's still possible in Iron Man mode, but generally only by conquering the world first and handing off titles for shits and giggles.

Yeah, I wanted to start with things weird and let them go naturally from there so that the world would feel a little more organic later on. Besides it was already a TON of work to manually go through the console and change all those rulers around, I'd hate to have to figure out how to keep people of so many different heresies and cultures around through a game just so that I could hand things out at the end.

That being said, I did a test export to EUIV to see how things turned out and there are a few things I'm going to need to fix (like Messalian showing up as noreligion, and some national ideas being totally inappropriate for the countries of my brave new world). Does anyone know much about editing a EUIV export? I guess I'll ask in that thread too when the time comes, but thought I'd throw it out there now since I've been playing a lot lately.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

There's a little beta patch (opt in via properties -> betas if you want it):

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?774446-Crusader-Kings-II-Open-Beta-Patch-2.1.5.1-Now-Available-checksum-ICTB

Also, CK2 collection is on sale at the humble store today. :frogsiren:Buy buy buy!:frogsiren:

Any word on updating the EUIV converter?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Gort posted:

Isn't that what all the stuff listed under "Converter" is about?

Uh yeah, my bad. I was skimming and totally didn't even notice. :p

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Yup, my empresses have never been able to get remarried after 40.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

aqu posted:

Did they have a holy order title? That would stop the ability to marry.

Nope. Can't say I've ever held a holy order title across all my games.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What is the "optimal" way to set up my crown laws? Is it Feudal= no taxes high levies, City= high taxes no levies, Church= ???

I usually run max crown authority, max taxes and no levies on everyone, and I very rarely have problems.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Wait, that means you dont use vassal levies at all?

cryptoclastic posted:

I THINK the levies go off of CA first, so he gets the levies from CA and the happy opinion from minimum levies. Offsets each other.

These are both correct. By the time I can actually have max CA my realm is big enough that retinues can do almost anything I need for me.

(I may make occasional use of vassal levies to kill vikings raiding my territory because those guys are annoying as all get out.)

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Hipster Occultist posted:

I wouldn't recommend playing a full agme unless you have a lot of podcasts to kill, I did a full Old Gods start to the end, uniting the world under one banner. That took about 3 weeks give or take a couple days.

I've done at least 5 full Old Gods playthroughs. Yeah, podcasts.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
It's very easy to play an India only game. Out of the three you listed, it feels most like an old-style "expansion set" to me.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Sheep posted:

Has anyone succeeded in a cheat-less Jewish reconquest of Jerusalem and survived? I'm interested in hearing how that plays out.

Well, in my current Venice game I took over all the land and gave everything needed to one of those Jewish councilor dudes that shows up, then gave him independence and he's still going strong. Hordes just started, though. Maybe the Zoroastrian Persia buffer will hold out, but probably not.

I'm not worried about the hordes for my own sake, though. I hold almost the entire Mediterranean (Norse Carpathia holds Anatolia somehow, which I think is pretty cool, so I'm not gonna bother them).

How do people make those cool flat colored maps so I can post a pic once I've finished this one, it is seriously bonkers. HRE is Paulician (and also my dynasty).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
How do I make those colored flat maps people sometimes show off in the thread? I'm finishing a game soon that I'd like to showcase a bit.

• Locked thread