Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is the support for Zoroastrians decent in this DLC as well? Or is it pretty much just entirely Norse Gods with Zoroaster as an afterthought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I've been out of the game for a while and I'm wanting to make a go at a long time fancy in this game: A Spanish Caliphate. However, I have very very limited experience with Muslims and how they work in this game so...

Any advice on how to accomplish this? General Muslim strategies and/or poo poo to watch out for?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So lets say I'm Caliph of Spain and I conquer Africa. If I set up my second son as King of Africa anf let him go independent, do I still gain Decadence for his heirs and their heirs even though they aren't connected to my empire anymore

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rumda posted:

Yep its dynasty-wide

That is silly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

After reading the RoI article I'm feeling a little bit uneasy about this expansion I gotta admit, having read the bit about possibly emphasizing reincarnation and traits for leaders claiming to be reincarnation of old badass leaders...to the best of my recollection samsara kind of doesn't work that way, not for Buddhists, Jainists, or Hindus. Basically I really hope these guys do their research because it would be a shame to see it distastefully handled.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

My guess would be that it's a very rare, once-in-a-playthrough sort of deal, rather like the Joan of Arc and Spawn of Satan events for the Christians, or attacking Cthulhu as a lunatic Norse. All of the religions have slightly wacky/fantastical event lines, so it'd be fitting for the Buddhists and Hindus and so on to have their own.

Crusader Kings II: My Son is the Dalai Lama!!

Yeah I could see it in that scenario easily.

Is it bad that I mostly only care about RoI for a potential fix to Decadence :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

How is Zoroastrianism for events and fun times? I was thinking of having a go at reuniting Persia.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

My god. Sorite's Zoros LP just destroyed my desire to play Zoroastrians...because of how satisfying it was. I can't even bother to try to compare to Vandad the Great :911:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

lenoon posted:

The game already has a lot of non-historical stuff: a child who is literally the spawn of satan, the option to deal with a portal to hell opening up in a field, Bah 'al drik constantly making his flying machine generation after generation, vikings can find a straight-up +2 axe of smiting. Just roll with it.

If you meant muslim characters should get cooler events I totally agree though

Super rare gag events (wasn't the "portal to hell" just a sinkhole?) are one thing, the problem/worry Dr Sunshine has (and me!) is that this stuff seems to be taking center stage. That's another thing altogether.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Torrannor posted:

What do they need to do? Nobody will join your court of marry someone in your court as long as they have the long religion, so there will be no Hindu bride or Jain councilor for your Irish duke. So no inheriting Indian counties, no alliances with distant Rajas, no easy converting to Buddhism. I don't see any problem?

If you mean the fog of war then I hope nothing changes. Seeing distant realms develop in unexpected ways is one of the best things about CK2.

Saxon England, for example, is the most beautiful of rarities and I always love it when it does happen. Do not deprive me of my England voyeurism, game :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Soooo...Rajas of India. How are them Decadence changes working out? If at all

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

If anything they worked too well. Muslim nations are at no real risk of falling apart honestly.

Neither were my meticulously engineered Christian dynasties so I'm just gonna call it good :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I don't need RoI to enjoy the new Decadence changes yes?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Behold, bizarro world in it's most raw and undiluted form.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ratpick posted:

This game keeps on surprising me: apparently when you form Britannia as Welsh, the empire's name changes to Prydain. That was a nice touch.

Also, reformed Norse with Welsh culture is scary: I've got 12K longbow retinues and I haven't had to raise my own or my vassals' levies once since I started making longbow retinues. I just took East Francia in a Great Holy War with no help from my fellow Norse or my vassals.

Other highlights include the first time I've seen the AI form the HRE, followed immediately by the Emperor going Fraticelli. The Karling blob has been broken up nicely: they only hold Aquitane and Lotharingia at this point. The Catholic religion's MA must be down the drain, since I hold three of their holy sites (I took Rome just because I could) and like half of the Catholic territories are either under my control or in Fraticelli HRE.

Next item on the agenda: paint the rest of Europe in British colors.

Wait what

Are you running any mods because if not, that's new, and that's awesome. When I formed Welsh Britannia it did no such thing :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Hitlers Gay Secret, I now understand and sympathize completely with your plight and the plight of that Dark Ages mod. I've been told to "Stop pushing Mahomet" after bringing up the Rise of Islam again.

You're going to have to elaborate, because this sounds hilarious/terrible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

The 'butterflies' issue was boiled down to "Islam only enjoyed its enormous early successes because the Byzantines and Sassanids were tired, and that's unlikely to happen in most games, so there's no reason it should be as successful in most games". I then argued that the rise of the Mongols was likewise tied to outside weakness in the case of the Jin-Song divide in China and that westward expansion was at least in part due to just one official in Khwarezm being a huge dick, and yet few people have issues with how the Mongols appear and act in CK2. One response to this was

Who in gently caress's name uses Mahomet in this day and age? Not even kidding here, what :psyduck:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

You know, after you milk successive Popes for thousands of gold with your obscene amounts of leftover piety, a despot like me starts to feel a little I dunno

Indebted?

Maybe I should treat the Pope to something nice like I dunno go punch the HRE in the snozz to depose their stupid Antipope or something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Nah gently caress that if he wants something in return he can ask for it. Or what are you, some sort of nerd, Hugo? You don't deserve that True Fire Ru oh my god someone needs to make a Suikoden mod for CK2

They really do. They really really do.

(Catholicism 4 lyfe)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, I've formed a republic under my Kingdom, only they arent doing anything to form their own trade posts. Does it take awhile to do so?

How does one do this anyway? I need more arbitrary goals to angle for.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Step one - either give somebody with no titles a city title or pick a guy that has only a city title.
Step two - pick a duchy title that you have with a coastal county title that you also have.
Step three - give the city guy the coastal county.
Step four - give the same guy the duchy. Congratulations, you now have a vassal republic that will hate you for eternity but also shower you in ducats.

Hatred balmed by money? How can I say no

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Awww man, as a Catholic I can't holy war all over Romuva pagans with impunity? This sucks :saddowns:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nolanar posted:

You should be able to. The only caveats would be a restriction on distance, to prevent slow down countries from blobbing outside of their sphere of influence; and their ability to convert to your religion to end a holy war. That goes away if they reform though.

drat it I must not be close enough. I thought Lithuania wasn't that far from my British Empire but I guess the game is gonna be an anal about this. Where's a good bridge when you need one? :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

You need to be neighboring a pagan/muslim county to holy war them, see if there's any claimants you can gobble up from that area that you can give a quick barony/whatever to and then press their claim.

Yeah that'd be the smart way to do it, thanks.

While I'm on the topic of CBs, isn't there supposed to be a CB to depose an antipope? I don't see any option to beat up the Kaiser for his lovely Antipope and it vexes me.

Edit: Did Paradox nerf vassal levies or something along the way? I feel like everybody's giving me breadcrumbs for levies even at high opinion levels, compared to last time I did this Britannian Empire thing. Admittedly that was two expansions ago or so. Things feel pretty balanced in any case just wondering if it's my imagination.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 20, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

I've noticed that it doesn't always show up. Why, I have no idea.

I guess I'll keep randomly checking the Kaisers diplomacy screen with murderous intent then :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SeaTard posted:

Yeah, with SoA they massively nerfed levies from large realms. Just use retinues, you should almost never need to raise levies. Dropping them to minimum will give you a handy relations bonus too.

Bah humbug to that I say! I love my big numbers.

Nah but seriously I feel like I have to work for things about the right amount now. Pretty happy with where they settled.

Seriously why can't I depose this drat Antipope

Edit: Speaking of levy laws, aren't they more or less totally redundant if your Crown Law is at a certain point?

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 20, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Okay so, something is bugging me. I'm out in Estonia killing pagans, and I'm suffering attrition despite the fact that I am both A) Under the supply limit and B) Have a high enough Mil Organization high enough to avoid pagan stronghold penalties.

What could be causing this?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I love the pope :allears:

:catholic::hf::catholic:

Me too man. Meeeee too.

How can I say no to Papal Investiture when he repays me with so much loving money?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FartGhost posted:

Maybe there are lots of allies or neutral troops on that county. I had that once, can be easy to overlook.

There aren't. Which is why I'm really really confused :shepicide:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Torrannor posted:

There can be several reasons. If the province is a non-coastal tundra province and you have no adjacent holding, the natural supply limit can be really low. Or it can be afflicted with a disease, which also reduces the supply limit.

And lastly, you do remember the attrition revamp? The longer your troops have been away from friendly holdings, the lower their supply, simulating an inability to resupply themselves. If they sailed all the way from Britain to Estonia, they may simply have run out of food. Occupy a holding and see if they are still starving.

I'm just gonna assune it was the last one. Nothing else fits.

Also: Playing a Merchant Republic game on the side and wow everything is so odd compared to normal games. Really enjoying being Gotland.

Oh, while I'm at it what was the consensus on India? Are hindus/jains/buddhists at all interesting to play?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So, question. If my ruler's culture changes from Welsh to Scottish, I know I'll have to rebuild my Longbow Ranges (ugghhh) which is annoying but manageable.

What happens to my Longbow Retinues though?

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Is it just me or is playing the Karen Satrapy (ie Zoroastrian start) way easier with the India expansion? All my Muslim neighbors have been exhausting their armies with holy wars against India, and I'm about half way to reforming the Persian Empire.

To be fair, I think the poor Zoroastrians could use the break.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

catlord posted:

I believe you'll keep them, and they'll reinforce, but if it gets wiped out that's that.

Works for me. It'll only be one Scot then back to Welsh, so that shouldn't be a problem at all.

I opted to peacefully integrate Scotland through marriage into Britannia Prydain because I have no beef with the Scots they're cool :unsmith:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So lets say I'm a Christian or Muslim. Are there any direct personal benefits to holding a holy site? Or is it just the bonus to moral authority for the religion?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I think host invasions need more boats. A dude declared on the HRE right before I went to gently caress them up, but he kept his 250,000 men sitting in Scotland because he only had 150 boats. :saddowns:

Pretty much. As a Welsh Great Britain, I never really worry about adventurer threats because, well, they can't really get to me so I pick them off at my leisure :shobon:

And then I get to banish them for a poo poo load of money!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Somebody recommend me a starting location for a Hindu ruler who loves to get his raid on. I'm hankering to try this India thing out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Do we know anything about the big upcoming expansion that Paradox announced a while ago?

Another one? What in god's name would they even add at this point, I'm at a loss for major content gaps given how much poo poo CK2 has already

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DStecks posted:

A more fleshed-out faction system, for one.

I suppose! Doesn't really describe a "big" upcoming expansion so I'd still wonder at what the overriding theme or focus would be.

Crusader Kings 2 already has so much stuff to do I doubt I'll ever play all the things I want to play. I was sure they were done after Rajas of India.

I'm not complaining, consider it just a sort of exasperated form of delight at how much support this game gets :unsmith:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Druids DLC, mechanics for pagan Britain despite us knowing almost nothing about them :razz:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Is there any particular reason to use Tanistry over Elective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SeaTard posted:

When you get to the point of having every count and duke be your dynasty, Tanistry makes sure you always have your top title. It's very hard to keep one branch of the family in power with it, but if you swap between two branches, you will always get your guy elected.

Sounds mostly like a downgrade then, since with Elective you can control the vote.

• Locked thread