Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Why the gently caress do members of an empire's de jure lands get to vote on crown laws, not the people who actually loving bow to me? I just founded the Holy Roman Empire as Germany in 1040 or so via the intrigue decision, so most of my actual holdings are in Poland and Scandinavia, while most of my dejure territory is in independent mega-Lotharingia, and the assfuck Karling king won't let his vassals vote for my poo poo. Now I'm stuck in autonomous vassals, papal investiture and elective succession (the last part isn't terrible, actually).

Good news is that France and I are buddies (despite their king being a Karling too) and the two of us took Lotharingia (and his best bud Italy) to school in the past couple of France's wars, so I guess the strategy now is try to get a claim on the Lotharingian throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Double post, but this game resulted in a pretty funny story. So I was the King of Germany and Pomerania when some adventurer (apparently a distant cousin or something) shows up with 23,000 men, which outnumbers me something like 3 to 1. So he takes the throne of Germany and the realm splits in two, and I rename Pomerania to East Germany for funsies. Even though my kingdom is larger, Germany still has those 23,000 men kicking around, and even assassinating their king doesn't make them go away.

Then Norway decided to invade, and since Germany and I are the same dynasty, we're allies and he brings his entire 23,000 man army to bear on the Norwegians. He loses pretty much all his men, but weakens the Norwegian forces enough for my levies to swoop in a finish the war. Then, since I still have a claim on the German throne, I invade an newly army-less Germany and get my throne back. :agesilaus:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Why the gently caress do members of an empire's de jure lands get to vote on crown laws, not the people who actually loving bow to me? I just founded the Holy Roman Empire as Germany in 1040 or so via the intrigue decision, so most of my actual holdings are in Poland and Scandinavia, while most of my dejure territory is in independent mega-Lotharingia, and the assfuck Karling king won't let his vassals vote for my poo poo. Now I'm stuck in autonomous vassals, papal investiture and elective succession (the last part isn't terrible, actually).

Good news is that France and I are buddies (despite their king being a Karling too) and the two of us took Lotharingia (and his best bud Italy) to school in the past couple of France's wars, so I guess the strategy now is try to get a claim on the Lotharingian throne.

Update on this game. The year is 1090 or thereabouts. For reference, my dynasty is House Vorrade (custom), and the Karlings still rule Lotheringia, Italy, Aragon, and France (there was a Vorrade king very, very briefly who was deposed and became a vassal count, but I was too weak to press his claim at the time). Aquitaine, luckily, is ruled by someone else, but they're pretty small.

So I invited a claimant for Lotharingia, Jacques, to my court and pressed his claim, and since Lotharingia is de jure HRE, he became my vassal. The war turned into a bit of clusterfuck as everyone and their dog wanted a piece of Lotharingia while it was tied up, including the kingdom of Bavaria splitting off and becoming independent (I don't know how this happened. I think the crown laws were gavelkind and the old Lotharingian king died partway through the war). No problem, Bavaria is de jure HRE also, so I repeated this process and now my empire pretty much owns all of central Europe. My plan to put a Vorrade on the throne of Italy ended interestingly, somehow Jacques pressed his claim and won, adding Italy to my empire.

Basically what I've got on my hands now is Jacques owning about half of my land, and all of his vassals are voting for him to become the next Kaiser and not my Genius son, who's now trailing 3 votes to 7. (I think a lot of my vassals are voting for themselves, but the election screen only lets you see the two runners-up.) The good news is that Jacques only has one son and four daughters, the oldest of whom is betrothed to my younger son. I'm trying to decide whether to try to get a Vorrade on the Lotharigian throne (:ese:) and hope they vote in my favor, or just revoke and destroy the title entirely, which seems safer in the long-run, but risks a massive, massive civil war that I'm not sure I can win. Especially considering that France will probably come to Lotharingia's aid because they're both Karling.

Oh, and just for kicks, another one of my sons is Hellspawn, so I'm tempted to try to get him on the imperial throne just to see what happens.

Other random state of the world updates:

-North Africa, Egypt, the Levant, the Middle East, and most of Anatolia are ruled by a series of massive Sunni caliphates, who periodically collapse in a massive civil war and them inevitably reform. They kicked the Byzantines out of Constantinople pretty quickly, but they've always ruled from Damascus for some reason.

-The Byzantine Empire is a rump state on the Adriatic, with a couple of holdings in Armenia. I don't know why the Caliphate never usurped their title, but whatever. Also, Orthodoxy is now a Monothelite heresy.

-There was a actually a successful crusade for Greece, so Constantinople is now ruled by, of all people, the Knights Hospitaller. They've been fairly successful in converting the populace to Catholicism and are steadily making gains against the Caliphate into Anatolia.

-England and Ireland were both formed, somehow, but Scotland is called Alba and seems to be in a perpetual state of civil war.

-A second crusade for Andalusia succeeded against an Umayyad-Caliphate alliance, and the Pope gave it to me after probably the biggest battle I've seen in-game. Something like 44,000 Holy Romans, Englishmen, and Knights Templar versus 57,000 Muslims, but my retinues are all knights and shock infantry so we won fairly handily. :smuggo: I gave Andalusia to my brother, so there's at least one ally in the potential civil war to come.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 1, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone know where I can find a list of alternate names for titles based on culture/religion? I know that Britannia becomes Alba or Prydain depending on who holds it, and I'm wondering what other ones are out there.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Darth Various posted:

What's really confusing is when Brittany and Leon get involved in each others' politics. There are two counties named León and Leòn, one each in Brittany and Leon, and then of course Leon the duchy and Leon the kingdom.

There's also the two counties named Munster, one in Ireland and one in Germany (although that one has an umlaut, I think).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I'm hoping for playable theocracies (barring the Papacy, obviously.) It could be a lot of fun to play as the Knights Templar (or whatever) Grandmaster, picking your successor, trying to convince unlanded Catholic nobles to join your order, maintaining your retinue and hiring your forces out to fight heathens, etc. They could adapt the republic manor mechanics to pimp out your fortress-monastery.

A minor DLC I'd like to see is adding a few more crowns to pick from. The current Emperor-level crown looks kinda lame and covers up most of the hairstyles.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

McGavin posted:

If I could add characters I would add "The Gang" from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to Philadelphia. Imagine a county controlled by a gluttonous, greedy, lustful, dwarf.

Dennis: Twin, Lustful, Cruel, Ambitious
Sweet Dee: Twin, Depressed, Greedy
Mac: Gluttonous, Homosexual, Misguided Warrior, Zealous, Wroth
Charlie: Bastard, Imbecile, Wroth, Falconer

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

They also all have been given the drunk trait. They've been in the mod for a while now.

You should add the guys from The League in Chicago. If you're not familiar, I'd be happy to help out with their traits/relations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Tsyni posted:

It just makes them your vassal. The Templars is a duke level title and it places it under you. Granting them a duchy you are de-jure lord of and vassalizing that way is just a tricky way to get over the "not my de-jure lord" malus.

Side note: If the Templars or Hospitallers own any land when you vassalize them, your get all of that land too. Granted, the grandmaster usually becomes a pretty annoying mega-duke (since that land is probably an entire kingdom won in a crusade) but it's a cool way to get a pretty big realm.

Also, whether the holy orders are vassalized or not, it's worth pointing out that if you're defending against heathens, they're free anyway.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Oh come on game, that's not very nice.

Speaking of titles, I'm getting really sick of all my kings being either "the Great," "the Just," "the Wise," or "the Holy," so I'm starting to use the console to give them cooler ones. A lot of them aren't even available (except to a few pre-made characters), but are totally awesome, like "the Avenger" or "the Fearless."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

What crown laws should I enact in order to have a stable AI Norse empire?

I've been playing my first Norse game as Haraldr Fairhair, and within a few generations I've reformed the faith and conquered all of Scandinavia, Germany, and France down to the Seine. The only notable Catholic powers left are Aquitaine, Bavaria, and Italy. Catholic MA is completely shot to hell, so I've also got a Cathar Ireland, Lollard Scotland, and Waldensianism and Fraticellism (?) are growing like crazy in central Europe. Turns out, people don't have a lot of faith in the Catholic Church when Rome gets burned to the ground every few years and last few popes have spent most of their time chained to the wall in Copenhagen.

Basically, in a few years I want to switch to a Catholic (or whatever heresy that's sure to have supplanted it)and try to take down what I built. But I want it to be able to put up a fight. Right now it's on primogeniture, but I'm wondering if the AI is better at Elective, especially if the emperor holds all the kingdom titles himself. I'm running HIP, for what it's worth.

EDIT- sidenote: holy poo poo you do some hosed-up things as the Norse. Your moral compass gets compromised enough as a Christian, but Jesus, at least they aren't encouraged to keep kidnapped children in their dungeon just long enough to either be lynched as part of a holiday or become the emperor's rape-slave, depending on how smart they are/what they have claims to.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 22, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

jerman999 posted:

I think the GoT mod does a good job of implementing a battlefield duel system, that would be cool to see in vanilla.

Never played the GoT mod, but I think HIP uses the same module (It uses screencaps from the series run through a filter for the pictures, anyway). It's pretty fun.

Norse characters also have a holmgang event, but I don't know if that's HIP too or not.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:colbert: Making sure your grand-son doesn't get some lovely name.

Yeah, I once landed my heir and he named all three of his sons Almerich. He also picked up Arbitrary somehow, but the names were the real crime.

EDIT: To be fair, Almerich isn't a bad name, and the eventual King Almerich was decent, but goddamn dude, it was like the George Foreman family of the 1140s.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 24, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

catlord posted:

From what I understand, it happens to the Pope every once in a while.

Isn't this basically the story of Pope John from the OP?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

It's a really nice oubilette.

Maybe it's this oubliette.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

If my (awesomely skilled) Chancellor has already fabricated a claim on the capital county of a duchy, is he still able to fabricate a claim on the duchy if I leave him there? Does anyone know the mechanics of this? I have him in a 7-county megaduchy I'd like to snatch up from the HRE along with a different duchy I already have a claim on. What I don't know is whether my chances are better moving my Chancellor around from county to county, or leaving him in the duchy capital in the hopes he comes up with a duchy claim.

I usually leave him on the capital and wait for a duchy claim. Although I usually buy the county claim too anyway, in case my king gets gonorrhea or something before the duchy claim comes through and I want to get at least something before he dies.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Well, as I said earlier, my realm consists primarily of the lands I took as I beelined for the Holy Land, and now I'm currently stuck between the Sunni Caliph, who's taken over Egypt, Anatolia, and a good deal of the Arabian peninsula, and the Mongols who've eaten up most of my realm in the Steppes. I am essentially a big fat vulnerable blob, with nowhere else to go. I guess I'll just reload from an autosave a year or two ago and flee to the Mediterranean!

It'd be really sad to lose Jerusalem, though. The Jews are forced to wander again, it seems. :smith:

Who owns Cyprus? That might make a decent fallback.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Speaking about it: I would love someday to try a multiplayer game where every player starts as a vassal of some empire, like the Bizzantine or the HRE. The first one to raise to emperor wons.

I started a game yesterday as an Italian duke in 1081, thinking I would eventually break off from the HRE and form Italia or something. Since some of my duchy was in the de jure HRE, I put my name in for Emperor just for kicks, and literally within an in-game week some random German says to me "Hey we're pushing your claim on the Empire" and I guess the Emperor himself abdicated or something because all of a sudden I was Holy Roman Emperor.

alcaras posted:

I'm organizing a succession game with a bunch of friends. Some of them are good at CK2, some are new to the game.

Suggestions on a starting location for 867 that could work well?

Looking for something not too easy, but not so hard as to mean that a newbie getting the controls would lead to death.

A vassal duke of one of the Karling kingdoms might be a good choice. Your short term goal is either break free or usurp the kingdom, and you long term goal is to eliminate every Karling in Europe. :getin:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

alcaras posted:

Cool; though I think we'll want to use the Char Builder to have a custom house name (unless I can rename my house somehow without using Char Builder?)

If you're the head of your dynasty (no idea how the game calculates this) you can customize your house name and coat of arms with the customization DLC.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

MrBling posted:

You have to admit, that carriage filled with snakes and exploding manure looked good as it crashed down the mountain shot full of arrows and drenched in poisoned wine.

Meanwhile, back at the castle, five different railings collapse when birds land on them.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Vodos posted:

What can cause this?

Every single event description in that script comes out like that, all the event options show their correct loca. It's not length or special characters, I changed the description to just say "test" and it still does it. I'm using desc = EVTDESC_PPE_100 like every other event does, this is driving me nuts because there's no reason for it not to work.

...so what did he have to say?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

zeal posted:

There's a Druze count in the Emirate of Syria circa 1066 if you're really looking to stretch your legs.

In my current game the Caliph himself is Druze, so it can't be that hard!

of course he then got gobbled up by the Seljuks, who are now happily chewing away at the Byzantines one de jure kingdom at a time, so good luck!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

You only get alliances for marriages with close family members: children, siblings, possibly parents, maybe grandchildren. More distant relatives produce no alliance.

Definitely not grandchildren. It's still handy to marry them off to potential allies though if they're your heir's children, so he'll have some allies ready to go when he inherits.

Parents, probably not either. If you're king, then the parent of your bloodline is probably dead (or at the very least already married), and the survivor is likely of a different dynasty despite being closely related, so you won't get an alliance.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Has anyone ever seen the Knights Templar and Hospitaller ruled by the same guy? Not as vassals of the king of Jerusalem, but literally one guy is the Grandmaster of both orders. Granted, in my game this guy is also the king of Jerusalem, but Jerusalem itself is a Seljuk province now and he's hanging out in Dover or something.

Incidentally, the Seljuks in this game are loving terrifying. Their empire goes from Afghanistan to Tunis to Belgrade, and the Byzantines literally hold a single province in Cyprus that I guess the Seljuks haven't wiped out yet. Their levies hover around 170,000 and they're horribly stable. The only small flicker of hope Christendom has at this point is that their invasion of Bavaria failed, but that's only because the four biggest Catholic powers (England, Italy, the HRE, and Francia (me)) managed the scrounge up enough men and holy orders to grind them down into a white peace.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I'm really annoyed by the mechanics for pressing a claim on someone's behalf. I've read the rules for it so many times and yet I have never waged a war using someone else's claim and gotten the title added to my realm. I just tried to do this with Portugal and wound up losing territory because some of my realm holdrings from Galicia flipped to Portugal after the war ended and some dude became king. I was sure I pressed the claim of my kinsman on the kingdom of Portugal, so why didn't I become liege of the new ruler? This is probably the most annoying part of the game for me.

They need to have some sort of extra text on the "press claim" tooltip that's actually useful. Just a simple "Will this add the county/duchy/kingdom of X to your realm Y/N" would be fine. The game already knows whether it will or not, why don't they just tell you?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

C) You're already their liege They're already your vassal.

I think this is more accurate, because you're also the liege of people in your court, and they can go independent if you press their claim.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

A liege is concerned with vassals. That's what it means. I think you're conflating it with "lord".

I'm at work, or I'd boot up the game real quick to check myself (and then probably play for a few hours) but when you click on a courtier, doesn't it show their liege in the corner the same as a landed vassal?

This all pretty pedantic, of course, but now I'm curious.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Even better than that would be a "Release all prisoners I can't get a ransom for" button. The game drat well knows whether or not I can get a ransom. Or better still, a checkbox just like the "stop all plots" checkbox that just automatically tries to ransom every prisoner you get, and releases the prisoner if you can't get any cash for them.

The "release/execute/ransom all" button in HIP is actually pretty smart about this. I once had about 50 people in my dungeon after a civil war and a crusade (goddamn those Muslims have a lot of kids you can capture) and the "ransom all" tooltip only included the people I captured during the crusade: i.e. the people whose ransom money I care about more than their opinion of me.

The traitors I release one at a time over the course of a few years. Once the "merciful" relationship bonus on the rest of my vassals wears off, I find the vassal in my dungeon with the highest opinion of me and release him. Not only does every vassal in my realm get an immediate +5 to +15 of me, the one I also just released gets that nasty -50 Imprisoned penalty taken off in addition to the merciful bonus. As far as I know, the merciful bonus doesn't stack, so there's no point releasing more than one vassal at once unless I need their levies. And if you're that BITCH bastard daughter of mine who assassinated my Genius trueborn daughter/heir, you get thrown in the oubliette at age 24 until you die there at age 67. Forty years in a literal hole in the ground was still too good for her. :colbert:

If they're a noble with a claim that a powerful faction is backing, then they get their head chopped off. Sorry, pal.

Religious/peasant revolt leaders I usually forget about until my court gets big enough to affect my fertility, and then it's Ilyn Payne time because who cares.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Positive traits. Stay away from Proud, Craven, Cruel, etc. The education outcome is determined when you assign the tutor so if you want to cheat you can give your babby to someone with good traits and a bad education then before they turn 16 give them to someone with a 4-pip education. I think a 4-pip tutor has a 50% chance of giving a 4-pip education and a 30% chance of giving a 3-pip education.

I've definitely gotten a Naive Appeaser from Midas-Touched tutor before, but that might be HIP acting funny. This is pretty aggravating because as far as I know there's no way to change your education trait from the console.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

So Paradox were planning on announcing the new DLC at Gamescom, right? Any ideas what it might be? At twenty bucks, it's the most expensive one yet.

My money is on a random map generator like in EU4.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Honestly, I think I'd pay a few bucks to be able to switch my character's outfit and crown. The French/German/Generic European emperor-level crown just looks like a fancy yarmulke, while the female version looks awesome. And the Greek/Celtic crowns look even better.

I also really hate the orange and pink shirt that some people decide to wear all the time and want to replace it with the awesome white and gold one.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

the items idea is cool if you mean stuff like the Valyrian Steel swords feature from AGoT.

This would be badass. Maybe an event chain where if you own Syria, you can get a Damascus steel sword and then pass it down to your heir, and it gives you an advantage in the HIP duel mechanics that they ought to import to the base game too. Eventually, it might break in battle so you get a temporary -1 Martial "this new sword sucks balls" modifier until you commission a new one.

Oh, and you could also name it! You know, if you're into cheesy fantasy as much as I am. :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Inside Outside posted:

There's actually a really good mod in the Steam Workshop that allows you to forge a Damascus Steel sword if you meet certain conditions like owning Syria, being on Hajj / pilgrimage, having the brave trait, etc. I'm pretty sure it gives you a small boost to your martial ability and a +5 vassal opinion. It's pretty neat.

Is it compatible with HIP? If so, I'm downloading as soon as I get off work.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Rumda posted:

Theocracy.

I'd be down for this, but that can't be worth twenty bucks, right?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

Is there any way to get my kids back from a foreign court? As Halfdan Hvitserk I married a woman who was apparently a temple holder in the middle of goddam Russia, and my heir (who is now of age) and other children are in her court.

I assume assassinating her would work, but what about divorce? Nobody is accepting my invitations because they all like her more than me and "no reason to move."

My favorite update of CapnAndy's Ireland LP dealt with a situation like this.

His heir inherited a county in Greece and moved there with her husband and Genius kid, and at some point pissed off the Byzantine Emperor enough for him to blind her and castrate her husband, and on top of that their kid flipped to Orthodox. She refused to have the kid tutored in Ireland due to some "hostage in a foreign court" bullshit, so he found someone with a claim to the county and just loving invaded the Byzantine Empire.

"Won't let my grandson come to visit? Not a problem, I'll come there myself. Me and 50,000 of my closest friends." :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

That picture reminds me: has anyone ever, ever had things happening in India affect what happens in Europe (or vice-versa) unless you're deliberately trying? I check out what's going on in the subcontinent every now and then to see who'd been painting the map the best, but it seems like it's all inconsequential.

The closest I've ever gotten was me and some Indian raja both fighting the Seljuks at the same time, but that's just because he decided to try to reconquer Afghanistan while Mr. Seljuk himself was busy trying to carve off a slice of the ERE.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So I punched the new start year into one of those historical map sites to see what kind of map setup we can expect, and, uhhhhhhh...
http://geacron.com/home-en/?v=m&lan...d=GeaCron549629

They're really going to have to get creative to balance the Abbasids.

Welp, this site is my new favorite way to waste time.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

That ain't a Muslim Clowncar, that's a Muslim Killdozer :stare:

Eh, that's not so bad. I had a game where the Seljuks took all of that plus all of Byzantium up to Venice. It was pretty terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Dumb question: is Francia pronounced like Frank-i-a or France-i-a? I was talking about CK2 with a friend and I didn't even realize there were two different ways.

EDIT: Well, looks like Wikipedia says I'm wrong. I think I was basing my pronunciation off of the Spanish name for France, which is also Francia

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 15, 2014

• Locked thread