Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is there any reason to get Sunset Invasion? It sounds a bit silly, but I wasn't sure if some of the popular mods required it.

I've heard Customization Pack is unnecessary if I want to name my country The People's Republic of Goonlandia or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
For those playing "Ivar conquers the world" with TOG - who are you giving the spoils of war to? I'm hitting the demesne limit quickly and I haven't hit the point in the game yet where there are a lot of unlanded relatives to hand things off to.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So some advice needed, I'm not quite sure what to do now.

Let's start with photos of the world.

I'm the Duke of Capua.

Notice I don't actually control Capua or any part of the mainland. Started off capturing Naples, did a Holy War to get Southern Sicily and Malta, then the Byzantines came and took the mainland possessions because of de jure crap. I rebuilt and now have most of Sicily, Tripolitana, and then took the Duchy of Tripoli when the Zirid's were too busy fighting a holy war trying to take that province back thanks to a lot of Piety and cash.

All well and good but now the Byzantines just fell hard.

So here's what I am looking at. Ideally my Duke wants to take the throne of Sicily. The Byzantines still have troops and are friends with the current King of Sicily, who is pretty old and will leave a young kid as heir. Probably around this time the treaty with the Zirids will expire and things will get interesting. I'm not quite sure how to proceed - I'm guessing that I'll want to forge papers saying that I'm in line for the throne, or should I just fight a war of independence and then attack later? Do I just save the (for me) obscene amount of money for a rainy day or should I be building stuff like cities now?

At least my heir and his wife are good...

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rurik posted:

In my game the crown went to Knights Hospitalier. So now there's a Jerusalem-sized gray blob in the Middle East with "Knights Hospitalier" written on it.

In mine, there was a crusade declared to take back Greece.

:stare:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FartGhost posted:

I think I'm the Boltons but in Russia. :stare:

If you were the Boltons, there'd be a "that's my girl!" option.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

jellycat posted:

I have determined that maybe the most sociopathic thing you can do in this game is capture a child in a siege, keep them imprisoned and educate them in your culture/religion, release them once they come of age, then invite them back to your court.

And after that you can marry them to someone. :eng101: You can also give them some horrible teacher (bad stats, possessed, etc.) if they are an heir which is always entertaining.

By the way should I be concerned if the Ilkhanate decides to reform Tengri?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I was really tempted to invite her to my court and marry her to my spymaster or something.

In other news my Duke managed to overthrow the King of Sicily... just as someone snuck in elective monarchy. Thankfully I was able to position my successor before he died. My new character just managed to usurp the Kingdom of Africa. Wrapping that up should be entertaining.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Probably Sikhism or Jainism.

Sikhism wasn't founded until the 15th century, so probably Jainism.

I wonder if Prester John will be a thing.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The best part will be that Sons of Abraham will finally go on sale, since Paradox never puts the newest DLC except for a lousy 10% off.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
My grandson/heir is kind of a dumbass (pretty low stats overall and no great attributes); so far he has the most electoral votes, but I'm afraid that when he gets into power, his low diplomacy score will result in a lot of pissed off nobles when I reject their requests to have all the duchies. I'd play stabby time except his brother isn't all that good either. I could kill both kids and put my second son in line who has better stats, but I'm not sure what would happen due to the electoral monarchy mechanic since I've never played one before.

Also are antipopes fun?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Vassal merchant republics :stare:

OK, serious question and maybe a known bug - I've just been Holy Warred over Alger, and after raising some troops and hiring one of the Holy Orders, I got messaged from both the Knights Hospitaller *and* the Pope asking if they could join in. Sure, I thought - probably not needing that many troops but there's no such thing as overkill. Except they all seem to be stuck in Sicily and Rome, not getting on boats or anything. Has anyone seen this before?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
^^^^ once as a ducal regent I got the "do you want autonomous vassals of course you do" event.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, this happens from time to time - it's not so much a bug as it is that the Knights and the Papacy both have large armies... and small navies. They may not have enough boats to actually ship their guys over (and the AI may not be bright enough to split their Holy Doom Stacks into shippable units; I don't know).

I think that was it, the Papal Army ended up walking from Italy all the way to North Africa. I'm not sure the AI even understood that boats were the preferred way to go.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Holy war is really the best thing in the game, especially when the HRE has locked you out of an Italian Empire run.

How difficult is it to mod the game to give me a unique empire (and maybe have EU4 accept the import)?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

The HRE ate almost all of the Byzantines.

Hilarious.

The fate of the Byzantines has been interesting. They went Catholic early on, then got conquered by the Fatamids. Then the Pope declared a crusade, and the Knights Templar took it over. Then it fell back, and then the HRE took it over. They've been a complete powerhouse.

So, I did find a way to make my character an Empress. I just had to conquer something that let me create an empire.

Hey, it worked :v: Now I get to see how electoral empires work, unless this was a really bad idea and I should load the save I made before I tried this.

Anyway, a few pages ago someone mentioned keeping a child captured in battle and educating them. I tried doing that today, handing them off to a pretty good teacher just to see what would happen. Checked back in a few years and...

:staredog: Keep in mind her diplomacy score was lowered by 10 from being in the dungeon. Her final attributes were 19D/11M/10S/12I/13L. Bright kid.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eimi posted:

To top it off my idiot relatives I put on the throne of Bulgaria failed to get a proper marriage so it's leaving my dynasty. That's what I get for not micromanaging them for one second and not giving a blood on blood marriage. God drat it.

See if you can get another marriage from someone of your dynasty to a high-ranking member of their kingdom (prince/princess, powerful duke/ducal heir, etc.) I've noticed that the chances of a succession crisis go up if the throne switches dynasties, so as long as someone of your dynasty is a claimant and has someone to back it up, there will be a war. I almost had this problem with Leon; one civil war later and it was properly Drengot again :)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ulmont posted:

The Empire creation conditions appear to be a little silly (mostly when an existing Emperor invades). Two particularly annoying ones I've noticed:

1. Italia. "Holds Kingdoms of Italy, Sicily and 1 additional kingdom title other than Italy and Sicily."
a. Why isn't having the King of Italy and the King of Sicily as vassals sufficient?
b. Why can't I hold Italy, Sicily, and 1 additional empire title?

2. Francia. "One kingdom title outside Francia de jure area." Again, another empire title should be enough.

In addition to the above, the wiki suggests that Abyssinia and Mali both have the same problems as Italia.

:paradox:

You really should be able to create arbitrary empires as long as you hold three Kingdoms or something. Have the name be "Empire of X" where X is where the capital is located or something. I would pay for DLC where I could form the Empire of Wales with the capital in Portmeirion and kill any rebellious dukes with a weather balloon. :beseeingyou:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hellsjudge posted:

So after I went Catholic and made a bunch of dukes and kings independent, I wanted to restore the Papacy to Rome. I made an antipope thinking that would give me a claim on Rome against my former German republic, but nothing. So I just fabricated a claim on the (now) Grand City of Rome, pressed it, won, and then immediately got an event to restore the Papacy to Rome. Sure, that's exactly what I wan-

-ted?

I keep thinking of the neighbor from Office Space for some reason.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I know about marrying 'em, but I've been having real fertility issues the last few generations and just don't have that many family members around court.

One way to "increase" fertility is to use the console to convert family members to Islam and get them a bunch of wives with good attributes. You don't pay a decadence penalty this way either so it's the best of both worlds.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Do most people try to live with the decadence mechanic or do they just type 'decadence 0' once in a while?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Finished my first game, starting off as the Count of Capua. Abused the hell out of holy war as a Christian, then had a Muslim heir and abused the hell out of holy war again during every rebellion. During this I managed to join the (elective) Byzantines, get enough votes to become successor, and got lucky with the assassinate option.

I really have no idea how that holding in Russia got there, and for whatever reason the guys in the Caucasians were willing to bend the knee. Unfortunately game ended before I could force the rest of Spain and England in line. :smith:

Watching moral authority in action was interesting - by the end the heresies were more popular than Catholicism, with the Thirty Years War coming early.

Decadence is stupid and I just disabled it. Presumably it is supposed to restrict how many people are in your dynasty but I still didn't have enough Drengots to fill open positions.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bonapartisan posted:

I thought I would try to play a Muslim ruler after hearing about decadence and wanting to try out the mechanics and all that. I usually play as a female to start off my dynasty, I guess because I'm a woman myself? I don't know. Anyway. Turns out this works poorly with Muslims as you can't matrilineally marry. :(

It was a nice short playthrough though.

Not just the matrilinearlly bit, but females can't be rulers at all upon succession. This forces you to use daughters for alliance building rather than building up your dynasty. You even get fewer mercenary groups and only one holy order available, again to force military alliances.

It really does feel like playing as a Muslim ruler means you must Always Be Conquering (especially since it helps with the decadence mechanic) and changes the game. At least the casus bellis are better - you get "invasion of England" instead of "invasion of county and then wait a while unless you want to kill your prestige."

As an aside, "invasion of Rome" really does kick the Pope out. In my game he was somewhere in Germany (I was surprised it wasn't Avignon or something.) Every once in a while he tried sending an invading force down, but with the Scots being Fraticelli, Aquitaine being Lollard, etc. the invasion force was pretty pathetic. Moral authority may be a bit overpowered, but I guess losing Rome would probably have caused a lot of problems with the faithful.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Don't use Gavelkind succession.

Gavelkind is literally the worst, and there's a reason why everyone in history either got rid of it or was conquered by someone. Elective is probably the best in the game since it makes the senior vassals happy, and lets you choose the genius son/daughter; the worst you'll see upon succession is a few people wanting independence who can be bribed or crushed, and the 'lower crown authority' types which isn't the end of the world anyway even if it happens.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The other thing Elective lets you do is hand the crown to your grandkid (or great-grandkid, this has happened once to me) - this lets you minimize the number of times you have to deal with the new ruler penalty. I guess Ultimogeniture lets you do something similar. Minimizing that - and getting that sweet long reign bonus - is a huge deal.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

jpmeyer posted:

If you really want to stab hordes, you stab the generals, not the leaders.

How do you find out who the generals are?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Gorelab posted:

Croatia being dejure Byzantine really pretty much sets it up to being destroyed every time by the Byzantines, which I think, really isn't fun. Also, I kinda think the BE should have something to make it more unstable, maybe strong enough Douxs get a claim to the throne so that there are fairly common civil wars.

The Byzantines usually just start out strong but tend to collapse by the end of the game, especially once the Caliphate consolidates and puts pressure on them in Anatolia; that kills the Emperor's levies and retinue, so plot power immediately goes up and all the Independence/Overthrow Ruler/etc. factions are more likely to trigger. Maybe you don't give them southern Italy/Sicily as de jure, except historically those areas were settled by Greeks before the Romans moved in. Personally I'd like to see all of Italy as a de jure Roman Empire rather than split between HRE/Byzantines.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ulmont posted:

Tell me more about how vassals with an opinion of 80+ can't join and will drop out of the independence faction...this guy's been here for months at 100.

That happens sometimes. Just buy off the leader if you can (which you should do since he started two factions) or the other members.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

jivjov posted:

GamersGate appears to have a decent sale on Crusader Kings 2 stuff. Not everything is included (Republic in particular is full price) but a lot of the DLCs are 75% off.

So does GMG, which has a 20% off coupon though you can only buy 5 things with it. Still, SoA at 20% off, bought.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
When is truce-breaking worth it?

My Byzantine emperor is so close to sealing the deal on the Roman Empire with the Duchy of Ferrara (two counties away, now with a freshly-minted CB on one), and at 54 he's not getting any younger. Ideally he'd like to hand off that sweet Imperial Reconquest CB to his antichrist son. The thought of losing 50% prestige (is that per truce broken?) plus the reputation hit is tough to swallow.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dutchfool posted:

Breaking a truce is worth it if you can't do the above mentioned things by Main. Still, breaking a truce isn't that bad. The prestige hit is, imo, not bad at all. Prestige gives it's maximum relationship bonus at 2000 and isn't used for that many things. As a bonus, sine you're the emperor of a nearly restored Roman Empire already you should have no problem at all regaining prestige back very quickly. Breaking a lot of truces as a character that is about to die of age/an assasination is very much worth it.

I had forgotten that the truce lasts only as long as the other person lives. Two stabs later and the Roman Empire was restored. Basileus Leon VI went on to help reunite much of the empire before passing away and leaving things in the hand of Hippolytos aka "the son of Satan" who unfortunately had many of his 'flipping towards evil' events before he came to the throne.

One thing that helped lower revolt risk was that I left him enough counties to create the Kingdom of Jerusalem. A few gifts of excess counties to bishops and instant 5000 prestige and 2000 piety. The crown authority revolt was put down thanks to cataphracts, witches, and 46 martial, and now everyone seems cool. How bizarre. Hopefully this doesn't all fall apart at some point.

Satan really shouldn't get a penalty for breaking a truce - I mean, he's Satan, what did you really expect when you signed that treaty?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The "free ducal title revocation" mechanic if you are the Roman Empire is so hilariously broken. Got an independence movement with ten dukes? Revoke their titles, there is a 95% chance that they will just say "welp :smith:" and you incur zero tyranny or relationship hits with anyone else. Then hand the title off to some other count in their duchy for +60 relationship and now you have a :buddy: duke. The old duke may hate you, but what do you care, he's a Count now and someone else's problem.

This is even more broken if your character is the "demon spawn", since he/she can easily revoke the titles of all the offended Dukes and replace them with ones who are pretty much OK with you being the son of Satan since you granted them a duchy.

And now, SoS's current status at rebuilding Rome:

The story with taking Mecca is before this, the Sunni Caliph declared a holy war for Armenia, and literally invited everyone and their doomstacks. They were successfully fought off and their armies destroyed, and (being Roman) the SPQR took revenge. That must be killing their moral authority, right?

One question: on destroying Kingdoms. There are a few I'd like to usurp/destroy, I assume that the -50 hit will come from all de jure dukes?

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 17, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dutchfool posted:

Yep. Every dejure duke of a kingdom you destroy will hate you for it. ;) Dejure counts will also hate you, if they don't have a duke above them.

Hmmm. Another reason I want to do this is to game the system - revoke the Kingdom of Jerusalem and then let my heir recreate it for instant 5000 prestige which should help offset a bunch of penalties for a new ruler.

By the way, what's the mechanic for the various hordes converting/adopting religion? Tengri has reformed, I'd rather not have to deal with a bunch of hostile hordes, and (at least according to the wiki) Christian hordes lose the invasion CB.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Except that after a couple of years (I'd lost track) my battle warscore disappears, the occupations add up to -100%, and I autolose the war. Does this normally happen? If so, how do you win an empire-scale civil war?

I'm guessing that a lot of your land was occupied by rebels, you want to take it back ASAP. Similarly you want to take their land. At least that seems to be true for vanilla CK2.

^^^^ also the crusades don't unlock unless there there is a perceived need. I'm pretty sure they were never unlocked in my game since the main holy sites are under Christian control though it is still early. No Pope would have called a holy Crusade for taking Baghdad or something.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 17, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I am disappointed that none of the options were "stab it, and then stab it a few times more".

Or "I think I will celebrate... with beer."

By the way, what is a good way to help ensure conversion of pagans? 90+% of the time the bishop I send ends up in the dungeons, but I got lucky once and converted Ruthenia. Otherwise nothing.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 20, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SeaTard posted:

Holy War them, there is a good chance they will convert. If not, you gain a new duchy that you can spin off into a vassal of the proper religion.

So that is why that happened. I was a bit surprised, and disappointed since I'd rather have had the land (and another Greek-run duchy.)

I was thinking more of distant realms where I don't even have a proper Holy War CB against (like the Norse, who have yet to reform.)

My game is going well, antichrist absolutely refuses to die (he's in his 80s and he magically healed his maimed trait), the genius/attractive son/heir has died so his genius grandson has now been named heir in his stead. Islam isn't looking so good, the last Jihad for Arabia was a joke, and the Zoroastrians are making a comeback in Persia (!!) Hopefully the Cataphracts hold up against the inevitable Mongol clown cars.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eventually he grows up to be a comedian with a really annoying voice, but today he is just a pup.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I've had the strangest thing happen. I'm (still) playing the Roman Empire, and at one point noticed that a member of my dynasty was head of the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre, and that he had a claim to some county in Germany. I pressed the claim and won the county for the Order.

Years and years later, after the family member had died and some other guy was running the Order, I noticed that they had just declared war on Germany independently to press someone else's claim on a county, and they appear to be winning.

Is this normal? Can I start inviting random claimants to court and tell them to take the vows, hoping that the Order will use their claim as a CB?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
A few other questions:
- with de jure empire drift: I'm noticing that a bunch of my holdings are not drifting into the Roman Empire, for instance Hungary (even though there is no longer a Kingdom of Hungary, or an empire of Carpathia for that matter.) Why would that be?
- what's the event code for Joan of Arc? I've actually been looking for a list of the SoA event codes, but they aren't on the various wikis; the Antichrist one was wicked :smug: fun, I'd like to try the others while waiting for peace treaties to time out.

One funny thing that happened while attacking Hungary: about 5K enemy troops were seiging one of my holdings, when I get a note from a mercenary band saying "hey the King of Hungary isn't paying us, can we work for you?" I say yes, and the enemy stack immediately splits in two and begins fighting itself with the mercenary band winning and upping my warscore. Pay your mercenaries, folks.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Titles can only be de jure parts of the next tier up - for example, the Kingdom of Hungary can de jure drift into a different empire, but the various duchies below it can only de jure drift into kingdoms, since duchies can't be de jure parts of an empire.

It seems to be inconsistent though. There hasn't been a King for most of Hispania, yet the duchies all appear to be de jure drifting into the Roman Empire (at least according to the map.) Should I just create random Kingdoms or something?

SeaTard posted:

Something I learned, if you use the Imperial Reconquest CB on the Pope he will become your vassal even if he's the wrong religion. It's a pretty crummy CB, but it does lead to some funny moments.

The worst part about that CB is that if you use it to attack a King, you end up with a King-level vassal who has a permanent CB on his old land. Maybe not an issue if he's one of those Spanish kingdoms that is effectively the size of a duchy, but not so cool if he's the King of Lotharingia. One of these days I'll try to provoke him into civil war by granting him a duchy and taking it away again and just seize the title once he's imprisoned.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Talky posted:

If I'm running Ag-Cog Primo and I set up my heir with a Merchant Republic, will that take him out of the line of succession?

I ask because both of my good sons from my first marriage died, my eldest surviving child is a daughter I married off for alliances and who now has several non-dynasty children, and the son currently set to inherit the throne is an Imbecile. Like, literally 5 diplomacy and that's all he's got. I remarried and have two more good sons in line after him, the oldest of which is quick.

I know the optimal solution is :ese: , but I'm trying to play by my character's traits. My current king is a just, honest, kind, charitable dude so I want to avoid murdering the kid of possible.

Make him head of a small army (like, 100 troops recruited from a city vassal) and send him off on a Crusade against the Abbasids?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I just got the Hippodrome "race fixing" event chain and it is literally the best thing ever, especially when the second attempt goes horribly wrong.

"AAANNNNAAAXIMANDROOOS!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So this is interesting.

Emperor captured a genius Umayyad 6 year old in battle, and couldn't ransom him because "they had no interest." Being a kind man, the child was educated, eventually by the Emperor himself when he didn't have many other people to educate. The result was an Umayyad who was Orthodox, a Grey Eminence, and Content. So when part of the Baltics were re-incorporated back into the Roman empire, I made him a Duke (since he had by far the best stats even considering the foreigner penalty) - and the game now considers his territory the "Umayyad Emirate" even though he isn't Muslim.

Then I made him Magistros because why not.

(and then the Emperor died leaving his son in charge, which was a big mess because he had previously formed the Kingdom of Turkestan which was still Gavelkind and made giving away extra counties a pain - then he died while going to face a Norse revolt. So now the new Emperor is noticing the +50 opinion when there is a foreign revolt going on, and is pretty much :chord: since this gives him plenty of time to bribe potential faction leaders and wait out the worst of the new ruler penalty and find a better spouse. Oh, and for whatever reason a Sunni revolt spawned right on top of a 14K Cataphract stack, you can guess the results.)

Moreau posted:

Welp, I finally completed the SPQR achievement in 1307, starting as Asturias. Unfortunately, when I grabbed the Roman Empire, it was Gavelkind - and as I had by that stage conquered my way across Africa, Arabia, Mesopotamia, Greek, Balkans and then Italy... I had a few vassals that were keen on fighting. Now, every 10-20 years or so, I have an Independence revolt. *sigh*

Helpful hint: you know how you can bribe Dukes? When they first come into power, instead of paying 100 gold or whatever, you pay 20 gold instead for a massive opinion boost. I always always send new Dukes a "present" because it is cheaper and easier than having to deal with them later.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 2, 2014

• Locked thread