Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I haven't had a chance to look at steam yet! How are is the artwork for Scandinavian characters? Is it as ridiculous as the Mediterranean face pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I can't imagine that you Zoroastrian guys have made it to the il-Khanate showing up, but do you think it will be possible to survive them? Granted, I have probably put 400 hours into this game and have never made it to the end date, but I think I'd be reluctant to start in Persia knowing that those jerks are a few centuries down the road from kicking my door in.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has anyone played the "Winter King" mod? I have been holding off on buying TOG until the modding scene caught up with it, but now I see that Winter King and VIET have comparability patches out. I already like VIET, but I never got around to playing the king.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sankis posted:

Man, what the hell happened to my game? The Byzantines were all "gently caress second rome, we're going back to first" and completely took over the italian peninsula and with very Roman Empire 150 BCE borders....

Hmm... I thought that the Byzantine Empire stopped being an empire if they lose control of Constantinople. Maybe that is just a CK2+ thing though? In my current game I am playing as the Byzantines and I have split Europe with the Karling dominated Empire of Francia. They basically control all of the lands classical associated with the Western Empire and I the lands associated with the eastern one. It brings joy to my heart to see such pretty borders in this game <3

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
A Steam only beta patch? The tears over at the Paradox forums must be over following

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has anyone tried to beat back the Vikings as Wessex? I looked at them tonight and it seems like they are in pretty dire straights (and paradox decidedly to give the starting petty king 8 territories when he can only control 2 - very annoying). I imagine the theory must be to swear to a Karling king and then slowly push back the pagan tide, but that seems awfully gamey.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

marktheando posted:

I'm too scared to play the Game of Thrones mod since while there can be no story spoilers in the early scenario, I'd rather locations, families, and crazy magic poo poo that is possible in this universe be revealed to me by the show.

Besides normal CK2 and CK2+ are Game of Thronesy enough already with incest and betrayal and murder.

Yeah, if you are trying to avoid spoilers then skipping Game of Thrones is probably for the best. I believe when certain conditions are met in the game then events are triggered that may not have appeared on the TV show yet. Also, the game over screen for that mod has descriptions of the houses which contain information not revealed by the show.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 8, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
For those curious, here is the changelog for the CK2+ beta patch!

CK2+ posted:

* Changelog *
2.00:
- Updated to The Old Gods.
- Removed Karling claims on each other to prevent the Carolingian Empire from immediately reforming.
- Cut most special Pagan CBs. Pagans can launch county conquests on a five-year cooldown timer but regular Pagan warfare will mostly be about raiding.
- Reformed Pagans can no longer loot, travel on rivers or prepare invasions (making them behave more like other organized religions and making it so reforming is not just a straight upgrade).
- Unreformed Pagans no longer have the regular factions, but are extremely prone to independence revolts.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ofaloaf posted:

A purely fluff question: What would CK2+'s Outremer culture actually look like, and what would they speak? I always had it in my head that the Outremer language would be derived more from Old French than anything else, and mix in a confusingly high amount of Italian, Arabic and maybe Greek vocabulary, but beyond that I haven't the foggiest clue.

I'd imagine they would speak whatever the language was of whomever the Pope gifted the Kingdom of Jerusalem too with influences from Arabic. I wonder if it would be a regional dialect of the conquering people too, assuming say an Occitan Duke won the crusade over, say, a Norman.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ofaloaf posted:

The Outremer culture events even turn someone like Gottfried von Habsburg into Jaufré de Habsbourg*, though-- in-game, the Outremer names are predominantly French-y, and the toponymic surnames are all "de [Place]". That seems to imply that even if the Kingdom of Jerusalem is won by a Norwegian, the influx of Frankish knights and Italian mariners quickly turns the ruling class into something culturally Romantic.

*Cultural localisations for dynastic names would be rad as gently caress.

Huh! I didn't know the game did that! I fell in love with Islam a few patches back and haven't played as a catholic (or really taken the time to look at how Outremer Jerusalem was going). I absolutely agree with you, then, that the change in language must reflect an immigration shift from France. Shame that it always has to be a French Outremer, but at the end of the day ck2 is a video game and not a totally sweet medieval sociological simulation like I'd love it to be. Maybe that will change in 10 years once ck5 is out!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It should also be noted that along with the patch 3 DLC were released! "Celtic Faces," "Celtic Songs," and "Dynasty Coat of Arms 3"!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Geokinesis posted:

There is no music.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/10934/

Make people you hate into missionaries, get them sent to prison.

Yeah. I meant to say sprite pack :/

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Honestly before you decide to conquer anyone in this game you have to come to terms with the fact that it is a sisyphean task. The conquered will always hate you, your brothers will always be jealous, and if you are from a different culture then the peasants will never stand for you sitting on the throne. The best you can do is try to plug the dam for as long as possible and try to win some of that sweet, sweet prestige for your family. Dare to be a footnote in history!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Zotix posted:

What's a fun rather easy start after Dublin for someone who owns all the xpac's aside from the old gods?

Pretend you are playing CK1 and start in Apulia! You control a good chunk of southern italy, have a large dynasty filled with some capable people, and there are plenty of delicious Islamic territory for you to win back for Christendom. Once you conquer Sicily you can either strike at the Mohammedans in Northern Africa or press your claim for part of Greece.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Leb posted:

Well, that's obviously a photoshop... *checks CK2 forums*

Yep, somebody is actually making that. Really do have some of the weirdest fans.

I thought that was a goon mod from a few years back? I remember we once had a few USA mods that were being produced that nothing ever came of

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Beamed posted:

"few years back" :stare: This game came out last year.

Yikes! It feels like it has been a lot longer than that! Still, I want to say that I remember seeing that picture before in a previous thread.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Antti posted:

I'm Byzantine Emperor and my lovely wife gave me twin sons. How does the game decide which of them becomes the actual successor? On birth Leo was the heir, but a year later it's treating Ioannes as the heir.

The heir to the Byzantine Empire has to be "born in the purple," meaning that his mother gave birth to him after you took the throne. If you had a child born before you became emperor he will end up taking a back seat to his subsequent brothers because his claim won't be as legitimate due to the circumstances of his early birth. You can give your oldest child a title that will turn him into your heir, bypassing that "born in the purple" business, but I forget what it is called.

Edit: oh, they were twins! I have no idea then. Sometimes women can get pregnant by two men at the same time, so maybe one was born a few days before you became emperor?

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 4, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

toasterwarrior posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, and a final thank you to Wiz for all his work on CK2+.

I want to echo the thanks a well! If it wasn't for CK2+ I wouldn't have devoted the hundreds of hours of game time that I have to this title, and certainly wouldn't have pre-ordered EU4. My hat is off to you, and I'm glad that Paradox recognized your talent and hired you! Keep up the good work!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
In CK2+ how do you plot to take over trade posts from opposing Patrician families? I skimmed the internet and saw that it could be done via plot, but I've never seen that specific option pop up before. Do you have to kidnap the opposing Patrician, or is that something else entirely? I have it in my mind to try to play as a merchant republic during my first conversion game, but expanding is mighty slow without knowing how to actually play as a republic :/

edit: I am the Doge, if that makes any difference.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You can only do this if they have more posts than you. You should never be in a position where they have more posts unless you just got embargoed or something.

Ahh, well that would explain that then. Thank you kindly!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

CapnAndy posted:

This is worse than that, it would seriously be two extremely chaotic updates that would end up teaching nothing except "and sometimes, gently caress You". I'm gonna backtrack.

I would try to preserve and keep going. The game really isn't that fun at all when it is "gamed" and since your are playing until the 1400s whatever setback you have now will be inconsequential and forgotten by then. In my game as a republic one of my uncles (I suspect) is stabbing his way into my mansion and has currently killed off three of my sons - frustrating for sure, but when I finally do kill him my satisfaction will be a lot greater than if I just reloaded and forgot all about it.

Anyways, ultimately ck2 is a videogame and you should do what is fun for you - just remember that failing is part of the game, and having a bad run of things typically won't give you a game over.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It has been said many times already but, boy, is this game enhanced by its mods. I am trying to create a Wendish Kingdom in anticipation of EU4, and playing without CK2+ is such a change of pace. Hopefully some enterprising goon figures out a way to make the converter play nicely with the community's mods, otherwise a nice bit of the game will be lost to me.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has there been any information on how the converter will handle religion? In my current game the vile mohammedans have unified Iberia, conquered Aquitaine, and pushed the Byzantine Empire into Croatia. Will their unconverted provinces stay unconverted after the conversion, or will they be turned Islamic (Sunni to be precise) as a way to streamline things?

I am actually pretty happy with how my game turned out, religiously speaking. Catholicism is under siege; it will be fun playing a game where the Catholics are on the defensive for once. Islam controls the east and the west, while Norse remains strong in Scandinavia and the Slavs are running the show in Eastern Europe. Not too shabby!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Broken Cog posted:

So, I found the former Shia Caliph chilling out in the court of one of my minor vassals in Sweden, any idea on how he ended up there?

Managed to convert him to Norse, and he's currently bethrothed to one of my sisters(I had to assassinate all four of his wives first). Let's see if I can't turn the entire Shia Caliphate Norse.

Frankly I am impressed that you have a Shia Caliphate at all! I have been playing vanilla in anticipation of the converter and, without fail, those poor Shia never get off the ground.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It really is a shame that elective monarchies don't really carry over into EU4 as such. It would be great if each kingdom with that succession law was like a little HRE unto itself. Hopefully something like that can be modded in down the road!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which liege has the most direct connection to the historical line for Prussia and then Germany? I can't find any Hohenzollerns so I assume it's too early for them in 1066. Should I just play as Brandenburg? And, as an aside, how the hell do you play as a vassal in an empire, you can't do anything. :psyduck:

They are out there!

In both starts they begin the game as the barons of Zollern, a barony in the province of Furstenberg (which is in Swabia).

In the 867 start they are now as house "Von Zollern." In 1066 they are in the same barony, but are now known as the Hohenzollerns! In both cases the duke of Swabia controls Furstenberg directly, so you can always make the baron of your choice into a count and then have at it!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

nutranurse posted:

Amateur cartography is me #2 hobby; paradox really are enablers.

Which programs are you using to make your maps with? I have often thought about doing the same (my own guilty pleasure is creating biographies and timelines for my characters/their kingdoms) but I have zero experience doing anything in photoshop. It would be a learning experience!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Rincewind posted:

Let's say I wanted to play a CK2 game with an eye towards forming the Dutch Republic in an EU4 conversion of it. What's a good start?

The duchies of Holland or Friesland (or however they spell it) would be your best bet. I don't think their is an actual city/province of Amsterdam in the game, so if you want to start off as a count you'd have to start in the approximate geographical area and go from there.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Tom Smykowski posted:

Is there any decent way to curb raids? Or is it just Holy War until they either convert or die?

To be honest I tried fighting them off at first as well, but eventually I was able to build my coastal fortifications up to such a degree that they didn't have the manpower to take anything. Eventually the Vikings got bored and moved down the coast to fight an easier target. It is fairly cowardly, but hey, they don't call me "the craven" for nothing!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Bloodly posted:

I vaguely remember there being some guy used for some maintenance events, who is instantly killed early on. I remember him coming up, because he was actually playable and someone brought his death up.

I remember that too! I think he lived in Iceland...

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

nutranurse posted:

I dunno, it's pretty easy to figure out where everything is as the names are pretty similar, so long as you have a vague grasp on geography. Ex. Sicily's called "Cisille", Siqilliya, and Sikelias depending on if the title holder's Norman, Arabic, or Greek respectively. All those names are pretty similar.

But yeah, I'm about 1/4th of the way through the landed_titles.txt, but I'm modifying only the Flavorful Titular Titles's landed_titles.txt, so it'll be optional anyway. I'll share the modified file when I'm done.

Thanks for your hard work! I always wanted to try out that mod, but I have never been industrious enough to put the hours in to do the modifying your doing now.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has anyone had any success playing as a Jew in CK2+? I am thinking of doing an Old Gods start as a Jewish Emir under an Umayyad Sultan in Spain. Is there a better starting point - or a good strategy involving playing a religious minority? Being a vassal seems like the safest move, since I know that is strategy for a Zoroastrian start... but other than that I am out of ideas.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm a lameo because I haven't played a Muslim ruler because I want to at least have to possibility of having a female ruler...

I like playing as a Muslim since, when I am not roleplaying, I tend to err on the side of being a nice guy with plenty of piety. That said, I don't like having to prune my family tree so aggressively as you're supposed to - so I only do those games in CK2+

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ray and Shirley posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who enjoys the decadence mechanic/slaughtering brothers in vanilla CK2. It's not historical (unless you count the Ottomans centuries later, I guess) but it's just never bothered me that much. :(

I used to not care myself, but once I decided to assassinate the infant king of Jerusalem and the event basically read that a nanny snuck into his nursery and smothered him to death - the button read "this world is too cruel for children."

Not enough frowny faces in the world for what I felt like after that :(

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So has anyone made a mod where the Catholic and Orthadox faiths are Jewish heresies? Because that seems like a no brainer!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So how is project balance these days? I plan on getting back into the game and thought I'd try the VIET/PB combo mod since the consensus seems to be turning away from ck2+

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Are you able to to use the custom ruler DLC when starting ironman mode? I tried it last night twice but both times it overrode what I changed and made me play as the generic count I was modifying.

I also have the other DLC which let's you rename your kingdoms/houses but all I could do was use the haircut mode. I wanted to do an Ironman with my starting vassals being from my real life friends' houses so I could see who would last into the 1400s :/

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 4, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mailer posted:

Does the devilspawn chain still fire without SoA? I have a hard time imagining there is a breeding program that would coincidentally result in this unholy creature.

I don't know if he is a demon spawn, per say, but it is possible to have the voice of Satan whisper to you outside of SoA (similarly to how as Jesus can) and that would be the reason why he has all of those vices!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
When the game came out until a few expansions back I pretty much only played games with CK2+; now I am ready to get back into my beloved incest simulator! If you have an eye on converting to EU4 is it advisable to play a vanilla game or does the new ck2+ solve whatever conversion issues it creates? Also, is vanilla mode more fun now than it was during the time when playable Muslims were introduced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

Eventually he grows up to be a comedian with a really annoying voice, but today he is just a pup.

With a name like Gisellbertszoon it'd be a tragedy if he didn't!

• Locked thread