Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I once saw a chemist kill a dozen people with two bottles of grones, a monkey, and a shotglass. gently caress chemist terrorists forever and ever amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

kalstrams posted:

Do you guys use a Mumble or something along those lines, that could be used to walk a newbie (me) through a round or two, to get the general idea on how the things are done in this game, or should I invest my time into reading the wiki/guides/something ?

Hey I would actually be down for this - I can just turn admin messages off and observe you so I don't get fed info on other players, and run you through some basics via skype or whatever. My skype is popecrunch, I'm usually available for this from noon-8pm EST (i live in alaska) with little warning, or we can set something up and I can make time for it.

Turning off admin messages would ensure that I don't see other stuff that folks might worry I'd pass along. I wouldn't anyway, but I want to avoid even the appearance of shittiness.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Also regarding sec - it can be fun if you're at all creative with it. I spent a few rounds here and there seated at the publically-accessible desk in the Sec annex, and announced that I would be happy to collect fines for crimes people planned in the future. I always, always, always wound up richer than Croesus, and the parade of people paying for elaborately planned future crime (I made them tell me what they were paying for) was always hilarious. Hell, even the few that said they were paying for assaulting a security officer then immediately pitched a flashbang in my face were kind of funny.

As with any role on the station, you get out what you put in. What's more entertaining as a scientist hanging out in Chemistry - making yet another horrible explosion of black powder or FOOF or whatever, or making and selling drugs (that are almost assuredly contaminated with anything from polonium to VHFCS)?

Sidebar: I will never, ever, ever yell at a chemist for selling things that are clearly marked or advertised as illegal drugs that are laced with something horrid. Caveat emptor :devil:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You could try getting some crew together for a telescience expedition. That can generally go pretty well roleplaying-wise, and it's guaranteed that you'll get at least some volunteers just from saying "telescience expedition" over the radio in most rounds. Especially once your team starts dying and the rest have free license to *scream like madmen and cower in lockers while you're desperately trying to beat an ice spider to death with your shoes before it can lay eggs in you.

I'm lobbying a coder or two for a Fun New Thing that will not only make telescience expeditions more eerie and interesting, but also work really well from a roleplaying standpoint. Cross your fingers!

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

The abnabner salad fires the banana at the floor!

BANANA GUN

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

WarpedNaba posted:

Which station was this on, #1 or #2?

2, I hang out there almost exclusively.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Sort of.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

That would be ~telling~! I wouldn't want to rob you of the journey of discovery :hydrogen:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

dogstile posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume its putting a bible inside of another bible. Am I right?

Nope.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

You also have to log in on the little BYOND pager app thing I think.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

You're not an idiot! It's obtuse as hell.

Basically when you INSTALL BYOND, you wind up with a little program called byond.exe. Run that. It'll have you log in. The first thing you should do is File -> Preferences -> Pager Type: None. Otherwise you'll get about 14 thousand invites to lovely Naruto RP games, and nobody wants that. Once you've logged into the pager app dealie, you should be able to connect to the goon servers no problem. From there, Something Happens which authenticates you as a goon, I don't think it involves the BYOND pager at all, but something the server does. I don't really know for sure.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

PROTIP: As long as your internals air source is an oxygen tank (the small emergency tank OR a jetpack OR one of the bigger tanks drained and refilled with pure oxygen), you can dial its output down to about 17 and milk it for a really long time. This doesn't work with 'air mix' tanks, those need to stay at about 100.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

When I scream and holler and delete the lights in Chemistry and alter one of the chemical machines to only output blood and vomit, it's not because someone's using a recipe list. That just means it's time to punish Chemistry for existing.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I couldn't figure out how you goatfuckers STILL managed to be terrorists with potato chips and water. YOU FOUND A WAY. I had two coders on IRC combing through reactions trying to figure out exactly how you motherless fucks were managing to make potato chips and water into explosives, and they had no loving idea. It shouldn't have been possible. It couldn't have been possible. I fear for the safety of the world if the people who managed to find a way to do murders with mother loving potato chips and goddamned water ever get recruited by a real world terrorist organization. The headlines the next day will read something like WE'RE ALL hosed: SOME NERD KILLS 3/4 OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION WITH A USED BANDAID AND THE SQUEAKER FROM A DOG TOY. THIS SECURITY PHOTO SHOWS THE SUSPECT PURCHASING A STICK OF GUM. DOES HE WANT FRESH BREATH, OR IS HE FINISHING THE JOB? OUR ONLY CONSOLATION IS THAT WE WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE IT COMING. FILM AT 11 IF WE'RE LUCKY. OR UNLUCKY. gently caress IT. WHATEVER. -(AP)

edit to add: I would like to thank the Maker's Mark Distillery for providing me with the liquid courage to have made it through that terrible time

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Donnerberg posted:

I'm a bit foggy on this, but I could swear an admin once lined the walls of chemistry with erebite ore after a particularly grueling round of chemistry shenanigans. This would've been on Shroom Station. I think the entire room was temporarily moved out of the way to reduce casualties in case for when the chemists accidentally set the erebite off with a flashfire.

That was me during one of my less subtle 'gently caress chemistry' phases.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Artificer posted:

What happens when you suspect an admin of abuse, anyways? You can't really prove it, especially if he was the only admin online at the time.

Like Cheeto said, report it on the forums. Everything is logged, and the coders and other admins with file access are very happy to pull logs and find out what went down and handle it. Sometimes this means Getting Yelled At, sometimes it means getting demoted, sometimes it means getting banned entirely.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

You should be able to duct tape a knife to a crate so that when it slams into someone on arrival, it just straight up gibs them.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I just yet again proved that openly collecting bribes as a sec officer is a hilarious way to play a round. SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Yeah! I was going to haul them to the kitchen to cook them up, but I got caught up in the BATHTUB CHALLENGE (which I handily won, rapping all the while) and wound up violently exploding afterward to go rap battle god.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Chefs can enjoy the barman's new chemistry kit too!

Chlorine azide cake #1: a cake that the greedy chef hordes all to himself

Ahahahahahahahahhahaha that's loving amazing.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

BurntCornMuffin posted:

It's public now. I hear an lp was recorded, too.

In case you were doubtful, VanSandman, BCM is an admin (so'm i), so this is the Official Okay

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Unhappy Meal posted:

I got yelled at so so much when all I did for a round as security was sit at the office window, take complaints, and hand back tickets.

Although I've never had anyone disarm spam me either, but then the people I usually baton are often too busy trying to hide their traitor items, and/or had just shot me with a derringer and didn't expect me to get back up to baton them.

On the other hand, sitting at the office window, taking bribes (and advertising this fact over the radio), and telling AI/security to let the bribe givers get away with whatever they want always, always leads to hilarity. It's even better if the rest of the security staff is playing along, but it's still funny if they're not.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Motherfucker posted:

Banned for spamming as a cluwne.

:colbert: We won't be having any of that fun stuff here.

The problem is that when fun stuff crosses the line into 'fun stuff that makes the round really, really, REALLY unfun for everyone else' - like cluwnespamming the radio, thus making the chat panel useless for everyone, then that's something we have to react to. I'm all about being an enterprising, sadistic, and creative rear end in a top hat, but you have to balance that against not making the game unplayable for everyone who isn't you.

When you get back from your tempban, try getting a bunch of cluwnes together and wander from department to department doing a cluwne wandering barbershop quartet gimmick - doesn't spam the radio, and has the benefit of getting to see people wanting to kill themselves to escape you in person. Coordination on this would be tricky, but you could probably accomplish it with paper and pen or something.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Hell no, most of the people I've screamed at or jobbanned / banned for being truly uniquely terrible sec officers have been goons.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Odobenidae posted:

We should seriously make a section on the unban forums called "player complaints" where any threads that are made can only be seen and posted in by the OP.

e: that or have the original post replaced with a stock photo of a crying baby while only the OP can see what they wrote.

I'd rather poo poo a knife. Can you even IMAGINE the dumb drama it would create.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Did anyone manage to screenshot the slapfest that kicked off the madness on 1 just now because I hosed up and screengrabbed the wrong thing. Thank you.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Angry Diplomat posted:

Has Jung Mi Young being playing his "extremely racist caricature" gimmick long? Because man that hackneyed fake accent poo poo is embarrassing to read :(

Just lightly savage him a little.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I have wanted farts to be a gas for years. I want to be able to fill tanks with farts, hook them up with a transfer valve, and throw the fart bomb into a crowded area. When it triggers, I want it to make a loud fart noise and just fall apart, maybe with a message like 'The device farts incredibly loudly and then falls apart. Holy poo poo was a dumb loving idea that was.'

That and the ability to connect a remote signaler to a bike horn for remote honks.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Angry Diplomat posted:

Oh my god headset phreaking is such a brilliant idea.

holy poo poo god drat yes this needs to be implemented IMMEDIATELY

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Sometimes I like to flip the script and do AIstation 13, where everyone is an AI except for one assistant. It descends into incomprehensible chaos pretty much immediately.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Klayboxx posted:

It's not an exploit it's a bug lol. It was to upload a joke law so it's not like it's really a big deal anyway?

Fyi if I see you doing this, I am going to ban you. Exploiting bugs is poo poo and if you cannot see why, you are also poo poo.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Nakar posted:

I'd like to see signalers and radios and stuff overhauled in general. Increase the number of functions, decrease the number of objects. I don't see why a signaler can't have a timer function built into it, for example. Hacking the signaler's wiring and attaching other objects could allow for various other stuff like proximity triggers (which, by the way, seem to just not work at all as people can walk right up to a proximity bomb and disarm it; that should be fixed), or PDA triggers (send a message to a PDA with the signaler attached, it goes off). Also they need to be made more workable with doors; last I checked they don't bypass ID checks and it's difficult to combo signalers in a way that lets doors be opened via remote, which is a pretty cool feature. Door wiring in general still needs more feedback and stuff.

The signalers and radios are some of the oldest still-existing systems in the game from its original incarnation. Half the things they were originally designed to work with or be attached to have since been changed significantly.

I have been asking for YEARS for the ability to connect a remote signaler to a clown horn. I want to be able to honk remotely.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Yeah apparently plugging a number large enough that BYOND gives up and calls it 'inf' in the explosion radius variables no longer caps at a 71 tile wide square.

Neat!

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Holy goddamn. MOST IMPRESSIVE! And that's coming from one of the chem-terrorists that got foamsmoke and grenades removed. I miss foamsmoke, it was ridiculous.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Daeren posted:

More accurately, they were demoted a few ranks and given the mother of all verbal rear end-whuppings. But yeah, I don't think any of us ever read erotic fanfiction over the radio, and if any did, they probably ate a ban for it. And if not, well, :v:

Really though I've been playing since the end of Ovarystation and I'm like 95% sure even back then that'd probably cop you a warning or ban, with possible lenience you were a long time player well established to not be poo poo, just making an exceptionally poor decision.

Even more accurately, they were de-adminned entirely, and didn't get their privileges back until they had convinced the Guy In Charge that they understood that they did a Bad Thing, why it was bad, and convinced the Guy In Charge that this was an error that would not be repeated. Strikingly similar to the ban appeals process!

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Yeah I have a reputation for being The Mean One, and when someone I'm screaming at reveals that they just didn't know a thing, I hit the brakes right there and I just make sure they know why what they did was wrong. If they sound like they are actually listening, I often spawn them a cookie or something. We are all pretty chill! Please don't be afraid of admin help. Sometimes there's cookies!

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Tenebrais posted:

A Sous Chef is the second-in-command of a kitchen. A Chef is anyone cooking in that kitchen.

I dare you to post that in GWS. They will set you on fire.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I get a lot of mileage out of sticking a tiny (about a quarter tile) Elmo in the corner of the screen. It usually takes people a while to notice, and then they freak out because how long has he been watching me

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Spooky Dan's Book of Horror Tales: A tome of scary stories. Click on the book to start reading, and everyone in it's general field of effect starts feeling a little off. Effects progress rapidly (hallucinations, drug trips, etc) as the story goes on (just having the reader spouting random quotes from various books or something), until eventually the nearby listeners just scream and keel over dead of fright.

I could write snippets for this! I am pretty decent at writing some horrible stuff, and I can even keep it pg-13 despite my usual output in irc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

There is also a medal for getting the Good Ending for the solarium scenario.

Nobody has ever been awarded the medal.

• Locked thread