Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Inudeku posted:

Grown men with decent paying jobs should move out.
There are scenarios where I disagree with you.

I've got coworkers who have lived at home for the first couple of years out of college with well-paying engineering jobs and god drat have they been able to save a lot of money. They're able to drop nice down payments on houses at the age of ~25 and I won't lie: I'm a little jealous that they're able to live rent free for those first few years and stash a ton of money, especially with rent being so expensive in Orange County.

That said, there's no way in hell I could live with my parents -- I wanted out at 18 and I'd never go back. But if you've got a stable family life and are willing to put up with the lack of privacy for a few more years, I don't think it's crazy for employed graduates to stay at home for a bit longer and stash tons of cash.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gently caress it, I'm counting this as people bad with money. Goon finds money and immediately wants a gaming PC:

The Iron Rose posted:

Hi Goons! So I just found a $5000 Romanian Lei note abandoned on the ground, which google kindly informs me is worth around $1,650 Canadian.

Which is a lot. Now, I could put this towards charity, or living expenses, or something similar, but frankly, gently caress that, I want to play pretty video games.

The Iron Rose posted:

It wasn't actually on the side of the road. I used the words abandoned on the ground as a way to communicate the sudden windfall, blah blah blah, bad choice of words. It's old and dirty and I found it stuck in one of the AC vents in my house. I like to think I'm not nearly dumb enough to steal money and brag about it. Though I didn't actually know that picking money off the street was illegal though, so... learn something new every day?
3 days of parts-picking advice from SHSC and I can only hope this idiot bought all the parts already before this post showed up today:

RandomAction Man posted:

Sadly I have to inform you that there is no 5000 new Lei note, the one you found is from the 90s early 2000s. 5000 old lei equates to 0.5 new lei. And around 3,5 lei would be the value of one canadian dollar or something like that.
This makes me so happy.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 10, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

oxsnard posted:

Does anybody have that link for the investment forum with the people melting down after that potential apple supplier's stock plummeted?
I think it starts here when trading gets halted.

http://forum.thecontrarianinvestor.com/index.php?threads/gt-advanced-technologies-inc-gtat.69/page-499

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's definitely been posted in here multiple times, but every time around is always eye-opening.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I realize this is nothing more than BFC's chat thread but holy poo poo shut the gently caress up about Apple vs. Android.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

What is it that prevents people from accessing the mainstream banking system? Do banks turn you down for savings accounts based on bad credit or something? How is a debit card out of reach for so many people?
http://www.citylab.com/work/2013/09/why-poor-choose-go-without-bank-accounts/6783/
http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/the-high-cost-for-the-poor-of-using-a-bank

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

flyboi posted:

Discover sent me a SUPER SELECTIVE invite with a printed card that looked like a credit card for an unsecured loan of up to 35k in the mail yesterday. APR of only 15% sign me up :getin:
Post Gizmo you poo poo

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

A $90k poetry degree is my new go-to argument against free college educations.
My poetry-PhD-having friend is still tending bar years after finishing his school, but at least he didn't pay for it? :shobon:

He probably has loans from undergrad though. And now he wants to go back to school for his teaching credential. :bang:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

il serpente cosmico posted:

I'm curious what kind of car she has. I can't imagine financing anything for nearly $30K in her situation. Selling it and buying something cheaper makes the most sense, but I wonder if she's under water on it.
This is covered:

quote:

The car is a 2013 Toyota Prius, 4door hatchback. She got kind of screwed when she purchased the car by herself. She was convinced to buy a "full warranty" that really isn't covering anything other than oil changes. Of course, this was a huge mistake and she's taking ownership (or lack thereof) and trying to manage this now.
The blue book value is $16,000 and as you know, she still owes $26,800. Is getting rid of the car at a +$10,000 loss still worth it? I assume based on the severity of the financial situation that yes, it is, but we'd like to make sure.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hanales posted:

With a 2% interest rate and a 550 payment, how the gently caress much did she pay for it? The most expensive new one I could find was 28K and hers is almost 3 model years old.

It's almost impossible for her to be 10K underwater on that vehicle if her payment is that high. Something really doesn't add up.
She got fleeced on an extra warranty too. Though I have no idea how much that can add.

The dealer really found themselves a sucker on that sale.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

flyboi posted:

Good lord you do understand that octane is nothing more than the compression your gas can take before exploding? There is no extra power unless you have a car tuned specifically for higher octane. Without going hardcore AI there's literally no reason to drive beyond the recommended octane from your car manufacturer.
I like to imagine he's putting 93 in the Prius.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah it was posted last page, probably around the time it hit the front page of Reddit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Not a Children posted:

Once again, I'd like to thank this thread for reinforcing "do never buy." It's hard to fight constant pressure from friends and family sometimes.
Every boomer I know tells me to buy a home or condo nearly every time I interact with them.

Surely they must be right?!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lucky Guy posted:

Wait, what? What card allows you to pay off your balance with rewards points? Or do I just have a lovely rewards program with my credit union...
Maybe he means cash back balance instead of actual points? All of my cash back cards can have the rewards applied as statement credit. Not sure if that's what he actually means though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

Orange County, CA.
Hey man let me know if you ever want to grab a beer or go for a hike.

I've got a great money-making opportunity I'd like to tell you about!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

oh wtf I didn't notice the 8% next to it, I'm thoroughly confused - how much money am I going to be making???
If you can add numbers together then you are not their target demographic. Sorry, this offer doesn't apply to you! :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Won't the military pay off a big chunk? They always need combat medics and they can't collect his debts if he's shot in Syria or whatever.
Forgive my military ignorance, but would he need any sort of security clearance for that? It's my understanding that it can be heard to get a clearance if you're in crazy debt.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Oh dear sweet jesus on a caramel apple. This guy is such a horse's rear end.
But Knyteguy loves him so much

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

(I like to eat fish, steak and fresh berries, I fear I might be overinvesting in my food enjoyment.)
Who gives a poo poo as long as you're hitting your financial goals.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

That's what I figured, but then we got into the $10-on-coffee-deserves-a-stoning stuff and I wasn't sure what the rightthink was any more.
I don't subscribe to the min-maxing "calories/$" gamification that some goons take to their food (and overall) budgets. Some people need a regular fixed budget for grocery staples, and then splurging on food comes out of some sort of discretionary budget or something. That works for them.

Find a system that works for you, and as long as you're hitting your financial goals (and the goals are reasonable, which is the bigger overall consideration to me) then keep on doing your thing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's essentially a life debt you're taking on once you sign that agreement.
And it typically occurs the moment you're able to at ~18. Some folks wait until later to get swindled by for-profit colleges, I guess. Consumers need to take some responsibility for the problem, but the environment itself is definitely predatory. It's a complicated problem without an easy answer. I wish it was as simple as "stop going into massive debt for worthless anthropology degrees!" but I understand the naïveté that goes with a decision like that when you're young.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sepherothic posted:

It never hurts to casually mention "I'm not burdened by crippling amounts of undischargable debt"
That'll get her wet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

RheaConfused posted:

Also, if he's working a state job would any of that qualify for PSLF?
This is covered in the comments. It sounds like just the federal loan is eligible, not the state one, and definitely not the huge loan in his mom's name.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

That said maybe he can get them to install better lines? I don't know how expensive that would be (probably way too much for one person to pay), or if they'd even agree to it.
Comments cover it. The ISP won't do it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

Help me decide better option regaridng paying off debt through IRA or loan

His all caps section is his doing, not mine. In all of these situations he NEEDS to withdraw from the IRA every month. I love though that the only way to work this is either leave the debt alone, or pay off the debt and oh by the way, while I'm spending money I may as well buy a pool deck. It's nice that he's paying for his kids to go to school...

oh! He gets confronted for being a troll:

Look guys, the pool deck is non-negotiable. I live in LA. Besides, after I get this last hit of irresponsibility, I'll be good. I swear.
You missed the part where he seems to have the 166k sitting entirely in a biotech mutual fund.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/vghax

quote:

Yes. We live and die with Biotech which traditionally does very well but recent epipen stuff has hurt us bad this week.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What's insane is that it actually works for a few lucky (?) people. My idiot cousin spent a shitload of money dressing her twins in cute outfits all of them time for Instagram pictures and now gets all sorts of clothing sent to her for free. It's still a waste of time and money if you ask me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

Obviously horse people get the most play in this thread, but is there any pet culture that spends more?
I imagine you'll find outliers in every kind of pet obsession.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Requesting an update on the leveraged AMD trader. :ohdear:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Universities will waive application fees?!?
Yes. It's need-based.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't check your 401k balances tomorrow.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Yea, pianos are terrible to move, a lot of professional movers won't even move them. You have to get a mover that will bother with it, and there is usually a special surcharge. Doing it properly, even on a small upright, requires more people and special equipment. The smallest pianos still weigh 300lbs or so. I have no idea what people even do if they have a grand piano, I assume you just roll it out the window to kill someone and call it done.
Uprights aren't that bad. I moved two yesterday.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

crazypeltast52 posted:

This, my parents hired a piano mover seperate from the regular mover last time they moved. I've also heard that pool tables are simialrly complex to move.
Look at these plebs. Get some real specialized moving challenges like grandfather clocks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

Sorry I'll holiday derail bird myself now

Yikes that's some ugly bokeh.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

BWM parents suck.
Holy poo poo yes they do. I floated my dad $6000 last month to cover my little brother's health insurance through the end of the year and two months of the mortgage while he waits for 30-day escrow to close on his house. Amazingly he just gave me a check over the weekend, but with the caveat of "don't deposit that yet" so it's a worthless piece of paper right now. Now I wait just like he his to see if his sale falls through (they've pushed escrow closing back twice now).

He probably gets to start 2017 with a bankruptcy at 58 years old. Should be an interesting year, but I won't bail him out again. On the plus side he found his "Y2K gold stash" while frantically moving out of his house last weekend. :tinfoil:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is called "churn" or "manufactured spend"
No these are two distinct things. Manufactured spending is a method employed by some churners but not necessary at all. Churning just means you open and close cards for the sign-up bonuses.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

A-ha! Trap sprung!
The trap of reading the credit card rewards thread? :confused:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yes, not just reading but comprehending.
I'm not even sure what sort of argument you're trying to make here. Credit card rewards = bad? It's a general credit card rewards thread.

Not everyone in that thread is churning, and not everyone who is churning is doing manufactured spending.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Devor posted:

Come back to tell us what happens about the check your Dad cut you just before declaring Bankruptcy
Got my money back and maxed out my 2017 Roth IRA contribution with it.

Now I'm researching claiming my dad as a dependent for the new tax year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

n8r posted:

Reading your post history... Tell me more about the Y2K gold stash. How much gold was it?
He says he found it and sold it immediately for $6000. I have no idea how much gold that is since I don't speculate on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If you are buying the ESPP and holding for a long time, then he is right that stocks plummeting 20-years before you want to cash them in is a good thing.
Right but I think the argument here is that there's a no-risk (assuming you can live wth the 15% paycheck deduction) way to make at least an extra 15% (before taxes) on up to 15% of your salary. With a look-back provision you can theoretically make a hell of a lot more. There's no reason (other than not being able to budget the 15% paycheck deduction) not to be doing ESPP in a "no minimum hold with look-back and/or discount" scenario.

I've had look-back prices in the past that quadrupled my 6-month contributions with zero risk. At a minimum I'm at least making 5% (the discount for my company) on every 6-month contribution and good luck beating that with a CD. If you always sell day one I don't even consider it speculating -- it's just collecting a guaranteed 5%-400% (different depending on company) on part of my salary every 6 months.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 9, 2017

• Locked thread