Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I guess the Botcon freebie exclusive this year will be a repaint of Terradive into Starscream. I guess it showed up on TFW somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I think the 20th Anniversary was when they did the CHUG Seekers with those repaints of Jetfire and Bumblebee, then gave a translucent Mirage as the freebie. My guess would be next year will be Prime molds, but God knows who or what they'll be remodeled into.

On a different topic - when does the next Wave of Kreons start showing up? I suppose it would count as Wave 3.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

They didn't change Waspinator's allegiance, but he can PILOT METROTITANS. Not exactly the bumbling goof of Beast Wars...and they didn't even try to make his alt-mode look like anything but a giant organic Earth bug.

I'm not a giant fan of the 'new' Rattrap, but I don't mind. All those Beast Wars characters would just sit on the shelf for the duration of the (I assume) highly popular MTMTE/RID runs, so at least they're appearing in some form. It's not like if they ever decide to resurrect Beast Wars, they can't just write 'classic' Rattrap into it.

I like the idea that after literally a million years fighting on some crappy planet, even a really good guy Autobot might find his nobility fraying a bit. He's not out there assassinating anyone in the shadows or trying to take over Cybertron, he's just gotten a little shady.

Oh, and RiD tends to have slow-moving gears in its plots. Prowl was mind controlled and essentially a Decepticon for what, like 12 issues? Let's not write off a change of heart/con game by Rattrap.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I don't know if a lot of you guys are hopelessly addicted to TF Kreons like I am, but I just found This and This.

The first one is a preview of a new wave, including Rodimus, Rhinox, and Cyclonus. The second is a preview of the two new combiners: Computron and Menasor.

So, you know, it's neat.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

LightsGameraAction posted:

Menasor looks surprisingly cool in Kreon form, and I really want that Rodimus but I have terrible luck with their blind-bags.

Poke around the net when the waves show up, the bags are numbered and a cheat-sheet usually appears online very quickly.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Dark Cybertron is whatever, but hopefully it will bring some changes to the cast in both of the series. Springer and Guzzle/Impactor are past due for an appearance, and there's plenty of Decepticons unaccounted for(like Sixshot, who hasn't been seen since that Metroplex Spotlight issue). I'd really like to see an actual Decepticon or two wind up on the Lost Light, too.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Looks like that 'Swerve tells a story' guy made another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcPBlR4xuV8

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

The preview for the new MTMTE is up. It's...half about the guys on Cybertron. The bits about what's happening on the Lost Light seem interesting, but I would like to go on record as the first guy to complain about the art.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I'm starting to warm up to the Dark Cybertron arc. I'm more interested in what will happen insofar as cast changes afterward, though. It'd be great if a real legitimate Decepticon wound up on the Lost Light, especially someone important. Like Starscream finding a way onboard to escape Cybertron.

I'm also morbidly hoping they at least kill one or two real characters during the course, if for no other reason than to force new faces into the 'main cast' of each comic.
I also feel like there's a chance that somehow this will all end in "EVERYONE WHO EVER DIED IS BROUGHT BACK" through some sort of Primus/Ressurection Ore/whatever BS.

I don't know if anyone is reading the 'Regeneration One' comics, but I think they're actually pretty neat.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I'm down with Shockwave talking because it's the culmination of this millions-of-years-in-the-making plan and suits him being this monumental 'cylcoptic bore' pretty well.

The stuff with Scoop is weird, though. I'm fine with lesser known characters getting their shot at the spotlight...but talk about a random choice. I think if a character with a little more 'oomph' was in that spot, it may go over a bit better.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

He's getting a toy, you are going to buy the toy because he is present in the comic.

Well, this is part of my point. Yeah, I get that everything is a toy commercial...but we haven't seen a Prowl, Arcee, Rodimus, Brainstorm, Rung, etc. I understand that they're making him a character in order to sell his figure...but who is it really aimed at? I would think that kids will still be more likely to buy a flashier, more 'cool looking' guy(i.e. anyone but Scoop) regardless of the comic involvement. RiD has got to be bigger among an older demographic of fans, no? Fans who are collectors that would probably buy a re-imaginging of an obscure G1 Targetmaster regardless.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I really want to go hunting for them, but I can't fathom trying to hit a TRU or Target on the weekend this close to Christmas.

This wave is still expected to be floating around in January, right?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

The worst thing about Beast Machines is that it ends Beast Wars completely and utterly in such a way as to ensure we can't get a proper sequel or spin-off or anything.

Has Hasbro ever considered doing direct-to-DVD movies in the way that Marvel and DC have? I know this is a reach; but I wonder if something like 'Last Stand of the Wreckers' or something based on the current comics would do okay sales? With the movies and tv shows and toys and comics all apparently doing pretty well, maybe it would sell well just by association.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Knormal posted:

That reminds me, apparently all Skids are coming mis-assembled. The upper leg parts are swapped right for left, and it's easy to verify if yours is affected because they're labeled L and R. Fortunately it's just the very top part of the leg right where it connects to the hip so you can fix it without any tools, just pop the leg off the balljoint then slide the top part off the rest of the upper leg and swap it. When it's fixed Skids can move his legs forward without that center ridge hitting the hip.

I just tried to do this and the ball joint broke off inside his thigh/hip piece. Bought him out of state and the receipt is long gone; so long $18.

So uh, everyone be careful if you do this.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Robots in Disguise #24 is pretty :stare:
Having Megatron appear as an apparent ally just to get loving torn in half exactly one panel later, for example.

Out of all the silly things and the rising casualty count, though, the thing I'm having the hardest time wrapping my head around is Waspinator being shoehorned in and given this crucial role. Amidst all this apocalyptic stuff going on and everyone missing limbs and the Autobot/Decepticon populations being down to apparently like 10 dudes, Waspinator just zipping around with Shockwave and the Undead Titan is so loving surreal.

GrimGypsy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 27, 2013

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

UK TRU chat again, I was in one today and they have the Generations Starscream wave. I saw Magnus and Sideswipe, plus Megs and Trailbreaker. Also Prime BH stuff, but the supermarkets have those. Saw Prowl if it helps anyone.

Toys R Us is going to be carrying MP Prowl? Is this one of those "You MIGHT see one once" deals like Soundwave, or "Literally mountains forever" like Acid Storm?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I thought the Arcee origin spotlight thing was okay, and that Furman is pretty decent and so is Regeneration One. I didn't know Transformers would become a social justice minefield. :shrug:

It was dumb to have Arcee be the 'only' female, though.

And Roberts is better than Furman, no doubt. Just as RiD/MtMtE are the best TF comics we've ever had. I'm not arguing that.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Are you telling me he's NOT purposely putting a quirky retro style on his writing? Maybe I'm just influenced by the terrible Wildman art, but I don't remember his first 100 IDW issues ever being as poorly/cheesily written as Regeneration One. Surely he's doing a riff on typical 80s style comic writing...right?

The dialogue in Regeneration One definitely has a purposeful weird twist to it.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

So at the end of the newest issue, was that Kup with the space bridge in him?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

It's just one of those 'smash and change' things, which wouldn't be worrisome if it didn't look basically the same as the 'real' figure that'll also be coming out.

On the upside, I'll finally be able to realistically avoid buying most/any of the movie toys.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Zaa Boogie posted:

How sure are we that that picture we saw before wasn't OF that smash n' change figure?

According to this article, 'smash and change' is Hasbro's 'new direction' for standard TF toys. So yeah, that probably is the main figure.

http://io9.com/hasbro-is-completely-changing-the-way-transformers-toys-1505124977

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I still haven't seen the Skids/Waspinator set at all except for once at the NYC Toys R Us. And my Skids' leg fell promptly off just after I'd gotten home and tossed the packaging/receipt. :(

Haven't seen a single Rhinox yet. I'm really hoping I don't miss 'em.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I liked the first movie and hated the other two. This one...uh, that trailer looked pretty neato.

EDIT: I know multiple people have posted the "IDW timeline" for the comics, but do those include when the various "Spotlight" comics fit in? I was thinking I'd go back through the whole mess in order before "season two" starts up, but Spotlight bounces alllll over the place if I recall.

GrimGypsy fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 3, 2014

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Spotlight Stuff

Thank you! I've read pretty much everything already, but all out of order and disjointed.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I don't care, I think I've come around and have decided I like Dark Cybertron. Also Megatron and Bumblebee should just hang out all the time.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Regarding Prime in the current comics, I think it's pretty fitting.

As Prime, he was perpetually in this existential dilemma about his role regarding the Autobots, his people, the war, etc. He always had this mystical nonsense flowing out of the Matrix and influencing his every move to the point that it could at times cripple him.

But beneath it all, he's someone REALLY angry about injustice. Back when he was Pax, he drat near sided with Megatron because he couldn't stand the senate's corruption. Whenever he did have to fight as Prime, he did it with a certain zeal. Not the sociopathic "GIVE ME YOUR FACE" attitude of the Bay-films-Prime, but more of a "Enough is enough you monsters, Primus help me but I'm going to enjoy beating the robo-poo poo out of you" thing. Even during Escalation or whatever, he seemed almost pleased to throw down with Megatron. Same when he did that orbital-drop-sneak-attack thing on stealth-bomber Megs.

Now he's released of the burden of leadership. There's no more Matrix feeding him froo-froo whatever. Instead of having to carefully think through the possible ripples of his every move, he can just look at a problem in front of him and solve it - and he's almost relieved to handle it in the black-and-white simple way of "I'm just gonna punch this bad guy".

So when Rodimus comes to him after being in charge of just a couple hundred guys for all of a year or two and ALREADY made a mess of it, it seems natural that he's going to say "You're insufferable. Figure it out yourself, kid, I'm not your dad/boss."

Ugh I just wrote way too much at 4am about Optimus Prime.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Noooo! I love TF Kre-o :(

Are they at least releasing that wave with Rodimus and Kup?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

The simplification for kids is fine, but dear God they're all so ugly. Bay's designs mixed with very basic sculpting and paint apps are not a good thing.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/02/15/transformers-rise-of-the-dark-spark-announce-trailer

Announce trailer for the new console game.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

So I haven't seen this posted yet:

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

The Generations Armada Starscream mold with some retooling would make a pretty good Pharma from More than Meets the Eye, I think. I know it's a longshot but a mold used three times is far from unheard of and he's as major a character in the comics as Scoop, the Minicons, etc.

Speaking of MtMtE, I know there's a lot of excitement with 'Season 2' based on those cover shots...but I hope they get to some 'season one' questions quick!

Like the Necrobot's list that had Magnus, Hound, Chromedome, Drift, etc on it.

And the message apparently sent back through time with the list of things not to do. Most of them seem to have been played out, but 'Don't look in the casket' still has me scratching my head.

And when Fort Max is having flashbacks about Overlord, Overlord mentions that Aequitas is just a big decoy covering something else.

And so on.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, Grimlock was in a 'casket' I suppose. Huh.

Well, Overlord explicitly told Fort Max while torturing him that Aequitas was a 'decoy' and that he wanted what it was built on top of or something like that. I hope they do something with it.

What are the odds they eventually tie Unicron into it? That'd be a pretty worthy season-end cross-over saga; and while it's been done to death I imagine Roberts could make it really interesting. But the bodycount, oh dear the bodycount.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I wonder if sometime soon, the comics are going to do a major population boom or somehow magic back all the dead characters(or most of them)?

The current theme seems to be that there really aren't all that many Autobots and Decepticons left. It's said somewhere I think that 'millions' of unaligned ones left at the start of the war, but RiD at current suggests a population of maybe I dunno...500-600 tops?

Luna 2 had that dormant hotspot that apparently consisted of around a billion sparks, and there was the revelation that the matrix can indeed be used to create life - if it's ever fixed.

I mean they can keep repopulating the main/supplementary casts with endless characters from Beast Wars, the Unicron Trilogy, redesigned Micromasters & Minicons, etc etc etc. But it would be interesting to see it on the backdrop of a bustling planet somewhere.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Iced Cocoa posted:

I've never been 100% sure that it was Rodimus carrying the Matrix that reignited the hotspot. Because someone else manages to touch down at the same time.

Well I'll be damned.

And the sparkeater issue seemed to suggest Rung had the 'brightest spark', too. Interesting.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I hope that 'season 2' of the comics gives the highlight to some guys like Jazz who would be cool to see in the main cast of one of the series instead of just sorta bangin' around in the background.

Edit: Apparently the Takara MP-21 teaser.

I, uh. Huh.

GrimGypsy fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 28, 2014

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Iced Cocoa posted:

Didn't he tell Swerve that the briefcase was opened when he didn't have it? I think he also had the briefcase before or very shortly after the events of Wreckers.

Plus, not too long ago, Brainstorm was MIGHTY interested in that green spark they found on Luna 2. He kept it and it hasn't been touched on again since.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Ferak, from Squadron X.

Going by the pic on TFwiki, it's actually a pretty good mold choice. Yet somehow...awful.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I dig it.

GrimGypsy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 25, 2014

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Hahahah, that is an amazing preview.

Oh and I don't know if anyone follows ReGeneration One, but it finished "forever" with issue #100. It was okay, I guess? It's nice they got to end the story 'properly' but it felt rushed and confusing at best. And kinda went out with a whimper.

GrimGypsy fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I'm really digging the art style shown in the Windblade #1 preview.
Looks like it may be pretty interesting story-wise, as well.