Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So I've spent the last few days trying to get into and learning the game and having a hell of a time with it. I don't know what it is about the game, but it's really difficult for me to figure out what it's doing and why. I don't want to spam this thread with a bunch of dumb newbie questions, is there some sort of IRC chat or whatever for the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Have you played on a lower difficulty? It's really hard to gently caress up on Settler difficulty. Really hard.

It's not really about winning against the AI, it's learning the intricacies of the game and the math behind it that I can't seem to get. Playing isn't really helping as I find the UI to not be terribly informative.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

So I've played some more and read some guides, and I feel I have a better grasp on the game. Right now I'm trying to think of a good strategy in multiplayer when I play with friends.

My thinking is defensive with no reliance on externalities as I call them. Things such as City State alliances and trading with other Civs. While I'd still utilize them, my policy would be isolationism until I'm ready to win.

With that in mind, I'm thinking of a Cultural Victory. Right now we're using GaK as one player doesn't want to get BNW before it's on sale at some point. My thinking is to use Egypt to get as many as Wonders as possible. Is this the best strategy, or is there a better one? I do use BNW sometimes, what about with that? Wonders seem critical to Cultural Victories, and the early game can be extremely tight on production timing.

The issue being that beyond that Egypt doesn't do anything for Culture or Tourism at the late game, like France's Chateaus for example. But if I play as France or another Civ, I might end up missing Wonders in the early game, especially if I screw up my research and build order, or get a lovely start. Is early Wonder rushing really critical like I think it is, or not so much?

Anyway, I might also be interested in a game with goons as well if you guys can't get players. I'm not sure on the etiquette here though, I've never done anything with goons beyond trying and failing to run some DnD games. Is it all right if I joined the Steam group, or what?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Cultural Victory absolutely calls for interacting with other civs, getting those open borders and diplomats and world religion/ideology votes out are crucial.

Science on the other hand is isolationist.

Yeah, thinking on it, you're right, at least with BNW. From what I understand, Cultural Victory is somewhat defensive in GaK, while BNW requires you to go on the offensive with Tourism and interact with externalities. All right, so, Science. I don't have access to Babylon or Korea, so that's out. Is Wonder rushing still a good strategy with Egypt for a science victory, or is there a better tactic with a different Civ? That's kind of my big hangup here, not getting the Wonders I need, or think I need anyway.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 19, 2014

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Liberty wasn't bad when you could get a free settler and worker within three policies and do quick expansion super early. Still not as good as tradition obviously.

I still don't understand Honor or Piety. Piety especially which is ostensibly supposed to be about generating faith but doesn't actually help you do that.

I may be playing wrong, but I find opening Honour is somewhat useful if you can farm a Barbarian encampment or two for a nice early boost to culture. Whether that's worth the Social Policy or not is up for debate I suppose.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Ferrosol posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good beginners guide. I played civ 4 to death but only just got around to playing V. The tutorials were helpful for explaining the interface but what I'm looking for is basic strategic advice. What should I be going for in regard to social policies? how do I rack up faith to found a pantheon/Religion? what are the key techs to shoot for? How do you keep city states happy?

Here you go: http://www.carlsguides.com/strategy/civilization5/

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Since people were mentioning watching Civ players to learn how to play the game better, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend someone good at the game playing multiplayer matches. That's my main focus when attempting to learn the game, and the rules change somewhat when you're squaring off against humans instead of AI. Thanks!

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Anyone wanting to pick up BNW, it's 75% off at Green Man Gaming.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

I've never played a multiplayer Civ V game, how long do they usually go for and how good is the goon group for them?

Also this MSF Big Boss mod is the best. :allears:

The Steam Group is here. I'm personally hosting a game on Saturdays, which is listed here. You're free to join if you want!

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 8, 2014

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Haven't had too much luck with my realtime games so far, so I'd be up for whatever you're organizing.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Here's a discussion thread for getting all worked up about playing MP Civ
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv/discussions/0/540741859714013176/

Probably not too Euro friendly (I think there's still the Saturday group for that?)

Hey, the Saturday Group is managed by myself. The timing is much more Euro friendly, starting at 6 UTC, but hasn't been playing much as people have been forgetting it's happening.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

So I've gotten a lot better at the game since I last posted, I can beat Prince pretty easily now, and King if I wanted to play "cheese the AI" (which I don't, I really only play single player to practice for multiplayer). One thing I'm still struggling with is military, however. I can fight just fine, I managed to throw off two other people in multiplayer attempting to sneak attack me with adopting Volunteer Army. My problem stems from maintaining an army from start to finish. I tend to make whatever units I need to stop barbarians, and then stop entirely until someone attacks me. Obviously this isn't optimal and is leaving me as a target. What's a good benchmark for number of units, and should I be building new units instead of upgrading old ones?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

poty posted:

Does anyone play Civ V multiplayer? Where do you arrange games? Do you want me to kick your rear end for several hours online????

My game is in about 2 hours: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv/discussions/0/540738051632374560/

Also another game here that's trying to get started: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv/discussions/0/540741859714013176/

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

ZLF Aurora posted:

Is there a Civilization V goon Skype group? It seems like there's one for every other multiplayer game in existence and this just happens to be the game I'm craving multiplayer for right now.

I've got one with a bunch of non-goons, although they do play with the goon Steam group game I'm running. The group is kind of unreliable though, sometimes people show up, sometimes they don't, although that's pretty typical of Civ multiplayer in general really. Add me if you want: canadian-pirate.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

So I'm not doing so well in the GMR games I'm in, and it's made me realize I'm really not as good at the game as I thought. I don't think I have a very good grasp on when to settle cities, or how far away I should be settling my cities away from my capital. Right now I tend to just wait until I have gold to buy a Settler and build the National College before settling a second city but doesn't seem to be a good strategy. I main the Maya, so that might change things in relation to their UA.

So yeah, I could use a primer on city settlement...Any thoughts?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Platystemon posted:

You should have placed a second city some time ago in Askia’s Insurance Fraud. The only reason I haven’t is that I plan to eat China first, as you may have noticed just now. If you get your cities down early, you can start developing them and build libraries without delaying your National College much, if at all. I aim to have two cities settled and libraries built circa turn sixty on Quick.

Take this with a grain of salt since my view of the map is pitiful, but I would consider settling between the Grand Mesa and the river. Grand Mesa isn’t a great wonder, but it’s better than an undeveloped hill (and arguably better than a mined hill pre‐Chemistry) and more importantly, it counts as a mountain so you can build an observatory in that city. Rivers are just great all around, and I see gold and horses in the vicinity. Settling next to the Grand Mesa would also deny Spain from having it, if the implications of that interest you.

The spices/lake/stone area between your capital and mine would be decent. I would normally be wary of settling that close to Egypt on flat ground, but of course I am in no place to give an honest assessment of that threat.

Yeah, I was thinking of settling there as my second city, just haven't done it yet. To be honest, the whole reason I wait to buy a Settler is to bypass having to slow my growth down in my capital, but I'm figuring out that it's not really possible to keep 100% growth all the time.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

shenanigans posted:

Have to build it slowly but surely.

For multiplayer, I use the demographics tab often. If you are in the bottom half, then build a unit or two.

Speaking of multiplayer, I'm looking to play a game: http://steamcommunity.com/search/?text=iwootedalittle&x=0&y=0

I added you, I'm The God Emperor, King of Magi. Platy and another guy along with myself are organizing a game tomorrow sometime in the afternoon EST. There's a thread for it in the Goon Civ group on Steam.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

I feel it's worth pointing out that there's something of a false dichotomy between role-play and playing to win. Personally, I am attempting to master Civ such that I am close to unbeatable as possible (nowhere near that, obviously), but I'm still creating stories during the game to account for various actions taken in the game. What I find helpful is completely ignoring the so-called "fluff" behind the Civs (this being their identity, what they were in real life), and creating my own fluff Civ of sorts. Essentially separating the fluff from the mechanics. I don't play the Maya fluff-wise, I play as my Imperium.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Azran posted:

Do goons actually play MP regularly?

There's two types:

The type people are talking about in the thread lately is GMR, which is short for Giant Multiplayer Robot, which is a service that allows for easy coordination of PBEM (Play By EMail) games. You don't use email though, just the GMR client.

The second type is a live game played over a day, and, in theory, continued on a weekly basis until finished. I say in theory because I've never completed a multiplayer game that needed to stop, it's either one shot or bust. Secondly, this sort of game rarely happens as people don't show up for whatever reason. I've played in about 4 or 5 in the past 5 months, and most of those were with my private Skype group which no longer really plays.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

So I'm back to playing Civ after my computer was out of commission for a few weeks, and I was hoping to get some guidance. I'm playing as (Madoka Magica: The Rebellion Story spoiler) Demon Homura on Immortal, random map, quick speed, and trying to do an early game comp bow rush on the nearest Civ. I'm mostly looking for general tips here, like should I be beelining Construction before everything else? How about settling other cities? Should I be taking the time to do that? Even if I don't, it feels like the other Civs get to the Medieval Era so quickly that the Comp Bow rush is rendered obsolete by the time I can attack them. I try to get other techs first, like ones needed for my luxuries and Writing for Libraries.

Oh, for reference:
UA: Increases the happiness of all met Civilizations by 5. For each met Civilization, you gain 10% Unhappiness from Population and 5% to all yields in your Capital.
UU: Incubator Slave, replaces Worker, constructs improvements 25% faster.
UB: Illusion Realm, replaces Courthouse. Eliminates unhappiness from occupied cities. Costs no maintenance, provides additional Happiness, and reduces Unhappiness from Population by 2%.

I only play with a rotation of the other Madoka Civs, as that's the only way I can find the single player engaging.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Gort posted:

OK, I remade the modpack for the new patch

Contents:

Active AI in multiplayer

Social Policy Rebalance - Buffs up non-Tradition starter social policies to give more of a choice at game start

AI Rebalance - Removes AI free techs and cheap unit maintenance, gives them cheaper techs throughout the game and lots of free promotions on their units

National College Nerf - Makes the National College a flat +10 Science - nice, but not something to rush to every game

Rebalanced Warfare - Gives all infantry +50% strength against cities, rebalances ranged units so that they always have 2 range, and rebalances siege units so they always have 3 range and indirect fire

The pack is compatible with multiplayer as long as everyone has it, and if you play it singleplayer you'll get achievements.

Hey, the download link for the modpack looks to be broken on my end. I'm starting to get really annoyed with how chance based it seems to be on if you can comp bow rush the AI on Immortal, so I'd like to try this and see if it helps.

E: Nevermind, it seems to have fixed itself.

E2: It seems to be interfering with the Madoka modpack, as in, none of the Madoka Civs are showing up once I install it. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the override folder, is it possible to remove that? I'm only really interested in the rebalancing.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 2, 2014

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Kustom posted:

Interested in catching a game sometime, joined the Steam group but don't see much action?

Is that the best place to check for games? Thanks

Here or the Steam group, yes. You've kind of chosen a bad time to look for games though, Firaxis kind of broke multiplayer with the latest patch. No word to my knowledge of when or even if they'll fix it.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

I'm beginning to wonder if using these mods is pushing the game past the point of it being completable. I just can't seem to keep up with the AI at all while maintaining my conquest momentum. I'm hitting the Modern Era around turn 150 or so, but the AI is generally 10 to 20 turns ahead of me. I go full Tradition, then a mix of Patronage and Commerce until Rationalism, then Autocracy. Trying to get a Conquest victory. I prioritize Philosophy less because of the nerf, generally getting Construction, Mathematics, and Currency before taking Philosophy and then Civil Service. After that I focus on Education, then Physics, Machinery, and maybe Gunpowder. If I'm next to a mountain I'll focus on Astronomy after Education. Then it's Architecture and hopefully getting the Porcelain Tower. Chemistry next for Cannons, then Scientific Theory to Electricity and Oxford slingshot for Radio and Autocracy. I don't play much beyond this point, because it becomes apparent the game is already lost.

Setup:

Small Continents
1 player, 5 AI
Strategic Balance
12 City States
Quick Speed
Immortal Difficulty
(Madoka Rebellion Story Spoiler) Civilization: Demon Homura
UA: Increases the happiness of all met Civilizations by 5. For each met Civilization, you gain 10% Unhappiness from Population and 5% to all yields in your Capital.
UU: Incubator Slave, replaces Worker, constructs improvements 25% faster.
UB: Illusion Realm, replaces Courthouse. Eliminates unhappiness from occupied cities. Costs no maintenance, provides additional Happiness, and reduces Unhappiness from Population by 2%.

Mods:
InfoAddict (v.22)
Madoka Magica Civilization Pack -- Rebellion (v.11)
Really Advanced Setup (v.13)
Smart AI (v.2)
Artificial Unintelligence (v.7)
AI rebalance (v.1)
National College nerf (v.2)
Rebalanced warfare (v.2)
Social Policy Rebalance (v.6)

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Gort posted:

You might need to knock the difficulty down a bit - one focus of my mods was to make the game easier for the AI to play.

Hrm...Do you mean I have to, as in, I can't actually beat the AI no matter my skill level, or because I'm not skilled enough? If it's the former I suppose I don't have a choice, but if it's the latter, well, I'd rather just keep banging my head on Immortal until I can figure out a way to win consistently and then move up to Deity.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

I grabbed slot number 1. Hopefully this time Windows won't crash and burn for essentially no good reason and I won't have to drop.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Have you considered trying it out on a slower speed with all the other settings the same? If you're particularly aiming for a conquest victory, playing on Quick is doubly hamstringing yourself because that speed plays to the AI's strengths while giving you significantly fewer turns to move your units around and conquer stuff. I'd imagine even standard speed would make a big difference.

Yes, I'm aware that playing on Quick Speed is the hardest possible speed for this sort of thing. I don't want to change to a slower speed for two reasons. Reason 1 is because I'm also training myself for multiplayer matches. While the AI isn't the greatest for that sort of thing, Gort's mods are helping in that regard. Reason 2 is that I don't like the fact of giving myself an advantage like that. The reason I keep bashing my head against Civ is that I hate it when a game beats me when I'm invested in it, and granting myself concessions like that rubs me the wrong way. I'm only playing on Immortal because I can't seem to beat it consistently yet, otherwise I'd be playing on Deity.

Basically my post was asking for critique of my playing style. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, otherwise I wouldn't be losing. I'm just not entirely sure what it could be. As Gort said, the AI should be beatable on any difficulty, any speed, any victory type.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 11, 2014

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Attestant posted:

Not really, no. So maybe try installing every other mod manually rather than the full pack, then?

(edit) actually both full mod packs seem to have a CityView, InGame, LeaderHead LUA file. These might be the conflicting part of the mods?

Delete CityView.lua out of Gort's modpack, that fixes the problem and doesn't cause any other problems far as I can tell; Enhanced UI just takes over for the City screen when you do that.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Giant Multiplayer Robot is back from the dead. Everyone who was in my game Ashurbanipal’s Trapper Keeper will have to re‐join, as GMR’s back‐ups pre‐date its creation. Note that no more than one turn of in‐game progress will be lost.

Invite links: The God Emperor, King of Magi, majormonotone, Christo, BrotherMagneto, Guildencrantz

Joined as The God Emperor. I think. GMR is being really slow for some reason.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

Whoa what happened? Did GMR lose 2 months' worth of data?

...Huh. Apparently. Askia and Monty are now active games in my desktop client. Are you just going to kill them, or what?

Edit: Same with Wu. Didn't Fart Laffer take my place in that one? How does that work?

Edit2: What the hell, Askia is all AIs except for me and Toaster Ghost.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Platystemon posted:

As promised, :siren: New Giant Multiplayer Robot game :siren:

Invite 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

For those unfamiliar with GMR, here is an FAQ (and house rules).

Civs will be assigned in a hybrid random/player’s choice approach. Everyone names two civs to ban from the game. Venice is banned by default. Each player is then given a choice of three civs, drawn randomly from the remaining pool by Fruitstrike’s Fabulous Civ 5 Drafter. Trading is allowed.

My standard settings are small Pangæa, Emperor difficulty for all players (to make city‐states less pathetic), and all other options at their default values, but feel free to argue for different settings in the comments.

Joined using link 1, but if anyone not in a GMR game already wants the spot I can shift it over to them if we have too many people.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

If anyone wants in on a new GMR game, I set one up on a custom map of a terraformed Mars. It's a rad map, otherwise there's no mods or anything. G+K, BNW, plus all DLC civs.

I opened it up to pubbies too since the map is so big it really needs 12 players.

Sure, I'll give it a shot. Oh, FYI, "vanilla civ" is usually used to refer to Civ without expansions, so I was initially confused by that statement in the game description.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Hey, we're working on getting a multiplayer game of Civ going, now that the multiplayer has been supposedly fixed. If you're interested, let me know on Steam, I'm the God Emperor, King of Magi on there.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

If you're setting up a GMR game I'll play.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Chamale posted:

I'm sorry, there's 8 people in my time zone looking to play this and most of us are only available in the evenings our time, so I don't think the time zones would work if we tried playing multiple turns on the same day. It's easiest to have a block of time when a lot of people are usually going to be playing.

Would you be available at some point in the evenings between 5:00 and 11:00, Mountain Time?

Every day except Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays. That said, with GMR, people being on at the same time helps, but isn't really necessary. It's not like a normal multiplayer game, it's Play be Email with a convenient desktop client that launches Civ and downloads the file for you.

Edit: Also it's worth pointing out that Civ's saving system sucks, and that you kind of need to turn off Civ between each turn or else it'll cause a fairly massive increase in file size.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 9, 2015

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Chamale posted:

I know it's Play By Email, but we can still get through multiple turns a night if everyone is briefly available a couple times. Maybe that's too optimistic of me. I'll let you know when we have stuff set up, which will hopefully be within a couple days. Do you have DLC? It'll probably be vanilla or G&K only, unfortunately.

I have all DLC. If there's no BNW, sorry, I'll have to pass, Civ V really isn't that great without the expansions making it better.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Yeah, Tradition is really the only viable path for staying competitive on higher difficulties (talking Immortal/Deity here), but you might be able to get away with Liberty/Honour/Piety on lower difficulties. Here's some tips that might help with your early game. This is all on Quick Speed. First, focus on infrastructure, which isn't necessarily buildings. This means getting workers and settlers up ASAP. My start is generally a Scout first then a Monument. This can change around depending on how you scout. You should have a Worker built by turn 14-15, and a Settler out by the early turn 20s and settled by the mid 20s. I tend to make two Settlers at once, grabbing the techs I need for Luxes and grabbing those with my Worker as the Settlers are built. After that, Granary in the capital, and Libraries in the two cities. Make some more Workers to speed up the Libraries if possible, and go from there. build the NC once it's available. Space/production permitting, build a 4th Settler either before the NC or directly after. Once you've set yourself up like that, put together a defensive military. Things should fall into place after that.

Beyond that the game is a matter of proper prioritization. Namely, getting the science techs as quickly as possible. As such Education - Architecture (for Porcelain Tower) - Astronomy (for Observatories, otherwise ignore it until you can't) - Scientific Theory - Electricity followed by Oxford Slingshot (build Oxford University when Electricity is about to finish to quickly grab Radio for early Modern Era and early Ideology) - Plastics - Atomic Theory - Satellites - the techs needed for the Space Ship Parts.

Typically you want to get into the Modern Era a little after Turn 100 on Quick Speed, the best I've managed so far is 1180 AD, forget which turn that correlates to. One other tech to prioritize after Education is Metal Casting for Workshops; don't bother with Machinery for Ironworks, takes too long and could cost you the Porcelain Tower. I wouldn't recommend Astronomy before Architecture either, same issue.

Edit: Really should refresh when writing longerish posts. If you've played the game that much you probably know all this already <_<. Oh well, I'll leave it, might help someone.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Yeah, the AI doesn't know how to fight at all by default. Why I like using smart AI mods, it makes the AI focus fire and prioritize. Instead of losing no units, you're going to have units die. It does have the downside of breaking Gort's combat overhaul though, at least on Immortal/Deity Quick Speed. If the AI knows how to fight and has such an advantage over you, they're going to tear through whatever you've managed to make like wet tissue paper. Although the worst part is you can't really kill their units, at least not easily. Focus firing on one unit with 5 ranged units and only killing it after 3 turns is eh, no.

On another topic, a question. Firaxis patched the science overflow a while ago, but I'm not sure on the mechanics behind it. Essentially, does burning all your GSes after Research Labs cause you to waste science now, or will it just be slowed down a bit? If so, what's the optimal number of GSes to burn after Labs without waste?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Quick question. When gaining hammers from chopping a forest, are those hammers lost if you overflow when producing something? I.E, you're building a Granary, it takes 7 hammers to finish it, your base hammer yield is +9 or whatever so you'll finish it next turn, then you chop a forest this turn and add 10 hammers. Will those extra hammer spill over to the next building project, or be lost?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

Counterpoint- I've never got the GL on Immortal or Deity, but I've witnessed my girlfriend manage both- more than once on both counts too. I've brought this up in the past but people just kept telling me 'it's not possible' as if I had a reason to lie about it.

I'm curious about how she's managing to build early wonders like that without crippling her infrastructure. Putting the necessary hammers into the GL in order to get it at that difficulty means you're eating into hammers that could be spent on Settlers and Workers.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

It's a big risk and requires the stars to align (ie. It's likelier on a small or smaller game with less wonder happy Civs, a good start, and a couple good goodie huts) but she pulls it off maybe 10-20% of the time on deity. More than I thought possible. Sheinitially found out it was possible while restarting for an optimal start for the deity achievement, but managed to fine tune the strategy enough that she can get it ~50% on Immortal and nearly guaranteed on anything less than that. Even when she misses it it's usually by no more than 2 or 3 turns- unless like Egypt is in the game in which case it's a lost cause usually.

And yes this is the same woman I mentioned earlier that uses a tradition/liberty hybrid. But as you can see from the 10-20% of the time, it's still basically a poo poo strategy to count on for Deity.

Well, yes, it is possible, but I'm more interested in her overall strategy. How is she dealing with the opportunity cost of essentially wasting hammers on the GL? About the only possible benefit is doing a Philosophy slingshot for a capital only National College, but that would involve putting off settling new cities, which is generally a bad idea. Calculating it, based on Quick Speed turn count (rough estimates, I've never tried getting the GL on Deity):

Assuming you beeline Writing, you should have it around turn 15 or so, which allows you build the GL around turn 30 assuming at least one chopped forest, 33 to 35 if not. Building the NC would take about another 20-15 turns, which means you've pushed into turn 50 plus without building any Settlers, Workers, or a Granary. I don't see how this is workable long term when you should be building Settlers around turn 15-17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Trivia posted:

I'm going to start another GMR game: 6 players, quick, pangaea, sparse resources.

Currently 4 of the 6 slots are filled. The current players have timezones ranging from +9 GMT to -5 GMT. Turn order will follow time zones. There will be a 24 hour turn timer.

My plan is to use the Civ Drafter to choose the civs semi-randomly. Each player can veto 2 civs. So far Arabia, Spain, England, and China have been vetoed (from the pool of possible civs). Two players abstained from vetoing.

Anyone here want to fill the other 2 slots? If so, what civs do you want to veto?

I'll play if there's a slot open. Timezone is UTC -8 Pacific Time. Veto Babylon and Korea. I'm The God Emperor, King of Magi on Steam.

• Locked thread