Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It's happening guys

20 years ago (or there about), Naoko Takeuchi began the seminal magical girl manga, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon. Because it's the 20th anniversary, we're getting an all new reboot!

Here's what we know:

It's still happening! The series, now known as New Sailor Moon Crystal is coming out this July in every language on NicoNico. Whether or not this is a sign from God has yet to be seen.

This thread is for all the stupid fan poo poo about Sailor Moon, like this: Sailor Jupiter is the best Sailor. Deal with it. :colbert:

Have an idea about how to make this OP better? PM or email me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txHGxJRwtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCC_-1gVE5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMcg9hLw0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjiJkt0m9pE

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

AnacondaHL posted:

Can't have a Sailor Moon thread without including the best version of the OP: Deutsches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCC_-1gVE5Q

That's going in the OP.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My favorite is the Sailor Moon towel

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Devil Tesla posted:

Are there any good guides for watching Sailor Moon? I didn't watch it much as a kid so I'm basically going in fresh, are there any highlights I should check out first or should I just soldier through?

Read the manga. Seriously, the manga is fantastic, and you can get a box set in English for cheap.

Make sure you watch the anime, both in Japanese and in English. I recommend watching the English, because it's really bad. Even as a kid, I remember thinking that the acting was terrible (I really like Sailor Jupiter, but Jesus Christ her voice actor was horrible.)

DO NOT WATCH OR READ ANYTHING ELSE. That way lies madness.

No, I don't care how great the musicals and light novels are.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

aers posted:

There aren't any light novels as far as I know, the musicals are in fact great, and you forgot about the live action!

Maybe I was thinking about the regular novels?

Anyway, due to some anime Heisenberg poo poo, a Sailor Moon light novel now exists

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Viola the Mad posted:

When I was a little girl, maybe two anime shows existed in my world: DBZ and Sailor Moon. They were diametrically opposed to each other. DBZ was COOL and AWESOME and had GUYS YELLING AND EXPLODING and Sailor Moon was stupid girly show that was too girly for me. It was so lame and girly that I never bothered to figure out what it was about beyond stupid girly magical girl transformations and Queen Serenity and what the hell was up with that annoying child??

Little kid me was a dumbass. By the time I decided to take another look at the show, Sailor Moon was out of print and off the air. I'm genuinely pumped to see a remake.

This is the opposite of me. This may tell you more about me, but when I was a little boy, I was like, "Anime dudes yelling and fighting? No sir, give me the show with girls chasing boys and gossiping!"

Then I got enthralled by Rurouni Kenshin and I was all aboard the Japan train.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Some knowledge for you all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmrmNeEOSw

Edit:

Endorph posted:

For me at least, the appeal is the characters. Like they're kind of cartoon stereotypes in a way but their interactions are really fun and they develop enough to have a lot of life to them.

Usagi and Rei have basically the best dynamic ever, too. They're kind of assholes to each other and somehow that makes them really believable friends.
I'd say it's good because Usagi actually acts like a 14-year-old would. She's bratty, impatient, insufferable, just like we all were at that age.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 17, 2013

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why is there all this love for Sailor Uranus/Neptune? As a kid, I thought they were boring characters. Not as cool as the normal Scouts. Also, did anyone actually buy that they were cousins? Even as a kid, I knew they were lesbians.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

I feel cool because I liked both as a child, a true conoisseur of japanimation.

Pshh, a true connoisseur would have learned Nipponese and watched Cutie Honey by then.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Um, I believe the OP says that Sailor Jupiter is the best? :smuggo:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Does anyone actually know if it'll come out this winter? I know winter's been promised to us, but I keep expecting the rug to be pulled out. :smith:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Finally, the thread tag fits.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Violet_Sky posted:

Wait, people love the DIC and Cloverway Dub? Serena's Cloverway voice is grating as all hell and DIC had those stupid Sailor Says segments. I really don't understand fangirl logic. I mean, nostalgia makes sense, but why would somebody throw a tantrum over this poo poo? :stare:

Uh, Sailor Says is awesome, I learned so much from them

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

a cartoon duck posted:

Everyone's wrong, only her German dub name "Bunny" is correct because it captures the deep meaningfulness of the Japanese name and delivers it perfectly to Western audiences.

I'm pretty sure that they called Serena Bunny at some point in the anime. I remember rabbit puns.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Postal Parcel posted:

The return of a certain Rose Bride perhaps? :v:

One thing I've been wondering, is Crystal a retelling of the story or a continuation of it?

It's supposed to be exactly like the manga.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The episode was amazing! I'm so happy this exists.

aers posted:

Holy poo poo the official subs are loving AWFUL lmao.

Heads up: Crunchyroll and Hulu's broadcast do not have an episode 2 preview. Nicovideo does.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1404364425

You'll have to let the video load the full way to skip to the end. Preview looks good, it has a way better animation director than the first episode (you can tell the character designs look better).

Yeah, even with my limited knowledge of Japanese I knew that the subs were poo poo. Oh well, gotta take what we can get.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Darksaber posted:

There was a side by side comparison (just checked, been taken down already) I saw and I think you're right, although I can't remember exactly and now I'm kinda doubting myself.

I just finished watching it and I really enjoyed it. Some of the animation was a bit sketch, and that translation was absolute poo poo, but the episode as a whole left me happy. Maybe someone will pick it up as a scrub or a re-translation.

Aers do the needful

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tarezax posted:

Usagi's voice just sounds awful to me. And I know Kotono Mitsuishi can do better, I really liked her as Peko Pekoyama in Dangan Ronpa 2.

Hopefully that will change as the show goes on and Usagi matures.

uh, that's what usagi sounded like in the original anime

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

aers posted:

I saw one episode on TV while living in the Philippines (the season 1 episode with Tuxedo Umino) and then a ton more on UPN when I moved to America. It wasn't really until Cartoon Network picked it up that the show became big in the US; it was always more popular in places like Latin America and Europe.

Sailor Moon was always #1 in my heart :blush:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

As a man with strong opinions about toast, I'm very disappointed that

Toast is the cornerstone of the art form and I'm appalled that smc has done without it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tender Child Loins posted:

It all just seemed so lifeless and grey compared to the colorful "present day" Azabu-Juuban.

In Heaven, everything is fine.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

KariOhki posted:

If you missed it, they posted a clip of the new dub for the original series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPMh2ZZOCzI

Mamoru sounds a lot like his old dub voice. Usagi is clearly different (and I can definitely hear the VA's "standard" voice in it), but it gets better as the clip goes on I think.

No, sir. I do not like this.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I thought this episode was pretty good. To me, Ami has always been the weak character of the senshi, so her having some nice early character moments beyond "oh, she's really smart and good at everything" was nice. Looking forward to the next episode!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DrPaper posted:

So is the new Sailor Moon good or does everyone hate it?

It is good.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Silver2195 posted:

It's weird because shonen fans are always talking about how much better their shows would be if they got filler-free remakes like DBZ Kai, but apparently some shoujo fans like filler? :iiam:

I think that's because a lot of the appeal of shoujo stuff is the relationships th= characters have with each other. As much as I'd love 10 episodes just about Joseph and Caesar hanging out with Lisa Lisa, most shonen fans would whine about the lack of fighting.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Command Ant posted:

Rei saw right through Usagi's disguise. :allears:

This was an all-around great episode. Pretty fitting, considering Sailor Mars is objectively the best Senshi of them all.

This picture fills me with so much pure-hearted glee that my cheeks hurt from smiling. I can't wait until we get a Cardcaptor Sakura reboot in about 7 years or so! :swoon:

wow, i can't believe that someone on this earth can have such poo poo tier taste in senshi

truly the hearts of men are vile and corrupt

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jupiter is the best

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also a slumber party, so make sure to wear your jammies.

Im a guy so am i not allowed to join in

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

A Pinball Wizard posted:

If anyone else was wondering I was referring to

???

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

LegionAreI posted:

Man, that seems to be such an enormous waste of money to not do it right the first time.

Not that I'm complaining!

Toei has like 6 guys to draw and they had like a day to do everything

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What does the Blu-Ray re-release look like? My favorite part of Sailor Moon is the use of reds and pinks. Is it as rosy as the Italian release?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Monkey Man posted:

I'm just gonna leave this here.

guarding tokyo, guarding my underwear

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

aers posted:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/98564

Even ignoring the blended frame this isn't "fine" lmao.

Lmao indeed, aers. Lmao indeed.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ConanThe3rd posted:

Between Crystal and Viz's shockingly bungled release of the original's remaster (and post release attitudes) 2014 will be the year of that phrase.

I'm only hoping that Digimon Tri (Which is a Non Precure toei show so, yeah, expectations are sub-terranean) and YuGiOh DM's remaster (I know, but it's fun popcorn anime) aren't as much as an utter farce for 2015.

Hell, the Black Moon Clan arc could totally be the Battle Tendency to part 1's Phantom Blood for all we know.

Not saying PB was as bad as SMC Part 1, mind.

both phantom blood and crystal are good, op

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

like what your heart tells you, and don't like what your heart tells you

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Travis343 posted:

See, I haven't seen the movie. I had heard the movie was a sort of tangent to the series? Its own offshoot canon or something? I didn't know it was necessary to grok the arc.

I'm definitely not saying I didn't like Utena or that it's bad. I was rather unsatisfied with the resolution though.

The Utena movie is hot garbage made by garbage people

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ALFbrot posted:

sailor_moon_crystal.jpg

She's my favorite character in Princess Jellyfish

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ALFbrot posted:

Did you guys know that there's a phone number you can call, and it will play the audio of a full episode of the old dub for you

Post the number.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Which one's the Blu? They both look equally terrible.

The top one looks ok, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Travis343 posted:

With all the merchandising and how cheaply they're animated I've got to assume Crystal is making money hand over fist.

That assumes Toei is well run

• Locked thread