Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

I played it a bunch during their free week earlier in the year, and I had a blast. It's not feature complete, but it's pretty drat playable. They're a pretty bad example of developers getting lost during the development process though. They had a lot of buzz back in the day, but given how long this has taken them, they just weren't able to capitalize on it. I think they may have missed their chance to really succeed as a commercial game.

Yeah, Desktop Dungeons is very playable and they have finally implemented limited keyboard movement (the biggest step back in the transition from alpha to beta was loss of numpad movement and the developers have been inexplicably stubborn in their refusal to re-implement it, since "mouse control is better").

Honestly I just play the alpha still, it's a lot of fun, free, and has numpad movement, while the beta...is only one of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

You probably would enjoy Tales of Maj'eyal. It's tough to finish without knowing a lot about the game, but most classes are quite accessible and the interface is friendly.

Edit: I am assuming you mean time commitment to learn enough to not instantly die, rather than the actual length of the game. ToME IS really long, but I don't think it takes much effort to learn the basics.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 7, 2013

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dredmor would probably be a fantastic game by now if it had the long lifecycle of the average roguelike, instead of an expansion pack and then nothing. It's just kind of unbalanced and unrefined mechanically, but I don't think many of its issues are truly fundamental. Maybe the inventory system is.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 24, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Dredmor's skill system is rad as hell and something no other roguelike has really done, as far as I know. And while it's slow, there are ways to mitigate that; there's an option to double all animation speeds, and when starting a new game you can turn on "no time to grind" mode, which generates levels half the size but gives you double XP for all actions.

The biggest problem is the inventory. The inventory screen itself is pretty bad, and while you have infinite storage space via the Pocket Dimension, the UI for accessing it is "teleport to the pocket dimension and pile all your crap up on the floor". This is really bad considering just how much garbageloot the game generates.

Port the ToME4 or Dungeonmans inventory UI to Dredmor and it would be a much better game, I think.

Dredmor has no concept of "facing in a direction", so that would explain why you couldn't figure out how. Why were you trying?

Once upon a time we played a Dredmor without Pocket Dimensions, and our heroes developed severe back injuries from carting stashes around manually.

They solved that issue in the most :effort: way possible, but they did solve it, at least. It was just never iterated on because Clockwork Empires captured the developers' attention and, since that game is apparently a Dwarf Fortress-like and has required a solid 4+ years of development, Dredmor's probably never changing further. It's unfortunate since it has a neat basic framework.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 25, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am not good at Desktop Dungeons. :saddowns: Does anyone have any tips on how to beat...well, anything? I like playing as the Fighter and the Wizard, but I'll take tips on anything, please.

The key is to focus on above-level kills. Every class has abilities to let them punch above their weight for short bursts other than the Fighter, who has the XP bonus so the finer strategic points aren't as necessary. Sometimes the RNG or the level design will really screw you when it comes to what enemy types you're facing, but generally a situation that one class has trouble with, some other class will thrive in. Your goal is to maximize those situations for your class - so a magic resistant enemy is generally a bad target for a wizard until it's outleveled, while fragile first-strike enemies are likely to be possible to kill even if you're level 3 and they are level 5, for example. You usually need several above-level kills to get strong enough for the boss. Also, save level 1 and 2 enemies to cap off levels with - if you're 1 XP from level up and have a level 1 enemy sitting around that you can kill in one hit, the level 1 enemy effectively can act as a full heal potion if you kill it in the middle of a fight with a really nasty enemy. This can allow you to start tackling an enemy that is 3 or maybe, if they're weak to your class, even 4 levels higher than your initial level, and then finish them off without expending actual resources for a big bonus.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

So I finally have a working inventory in TTYmor! You can pick up, drop, and examine items.

There are also configuration settings for sorting and grouping items in your inventory...

...and a debug command to test it with, since the map generator won't place any items yet.

There's a few places I could go with this next, but I think the most obvious are either getting the map generator to start placing items (although its algorithm for doing so probably won't be very close to OG Dredmor), or starting work on the mechanics of primary and secondary stats, stat modifiers, and equipment, so that it becomes possible to gear up -- at which point the next obvious thing to implement is combat and some training dummies to test it with.

At this rate TTYmor is going to end up being substantially better than Dredmor just by having a usable item system.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HeartNotes3 posted:

Now that I have dungeonmans, I have no idea what character to play as.

The last one I made got creamed in a room of guys who apparently can hook and reel you in then blow up bombs in your face and there were like 10 or more of them.

Start as a Dungeonmans. 1 point in Real Armor, 2 points in Applied Wizardry, 1 point in Foominology, and 1 point in Liberally Forbidden Arts. When you get your first level get the first skill of Deadcrafting. Now you're heavily armored, have an offensive spell, and - most importantly - an explosive decoy that is both surprisingly durable and very deadly against early enemies when it dies and explodes. Level 3 probably should go to a second point in the Liberally Forbidden Arts so that you can continuously Raise Mostlies against champions, ancient kings, etc. After that it's basically up to you. The fire spell in Southern Gentlemans is extremely powerful and good for crowds like the one you died to, the other Deadcrafting spells are very good, and Bannermans banners are very useful in conjunction with the undead. The first spell in Necronomics is very powerful too.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

Yes. I'm too bad at Megaman to know if it's a good Megaman game, but it seems alright.

Dungeonmans gets a pass on showing my gear because it DOES show my gear because I know at character gen what kind of weapons I will be using.

Dungeonmans is fantastic and everyone should play it. You will almost certainly not die until the second or third dungeon! And every death makes the next play easier.

My pet Dmans Peeve is that it won't automatically iterate names. I just want to be Blogdorf II, Blogdorf III, etc, why do I have to remember who was last and who comes next myself? I bet the Steam randos don't enjoy that, either. "What, you burned my character name I always use? Well, I guess there's still time to return this."

I don't care for turning down my stat block options burning a name even though the flavor text when you try to use it again is pretty funny. Making the whole name-reuse-disallowed thing into a toggleable option might make the game easier to get into for random folks though. Maybe have the Headmaster give a funny speech to each character about having been bestowed the legendary title of "Gary", worn proudly by Dungeonmans through the ages - or whatever name it is the player wants to reuse.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Weedle posted:

What are everybody's favorite roguelikes for iPad? I've got iNethack2 and Brogue, obviously, as well as Cardinal Quest 2. I've heard Rogue Ninja and Pixel Dungeons are good, but they don't look like they bring much to the table that's unique or innovative.

ToME is rad as gently caress on a tablet, but for some reason DarkGod thinks he'll need to do a ton of interface work to make it actually tablet-playable (he doesn't, there are just a few things like how tooltips work that need revision) so that's only an option for Windows tablets.

If anybody has one of those I'd highly recommend the ToME touch experience, though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gibbo posted:

This laptop actually has Tome on it, so I've been playing that and some snes emulation to keep myself occupied.

Speaking of TOME. Recently someone mentioned a way to make the transmog chest spit out gems if you have the extraction ability before spitting out gold? Or was that a wish?

You can pay the fortress AI in fort power to make your box convert gear to gems and transmog those gems if you have gem extraction. Any gems you might want to keep you still need to extract manually though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
Oh man, I never knew I could want a board game more than I want ICP Talisman right now. Why did I not know about this sooner?

I bet the Elixir of Faygo card is really OP

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And this is a roguelike? I guess I should :google: some.

No, but a roguelike set in Illwinter's weird world would be :krad:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Is Renowned Explorers the good FTL-like Conrad-like or the mediocre one?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr. Jive posted:

Just started playing Nethack and I'm already pretty addicted.

Is there anything wrong with drinking every potion as soon as I find it? I have no idea what any of them do but none of them have killed me yet.

I *have* learned pretty quickly not to drink every fountain dry.

Potions of particular types can be pretty rare, I always saved them until I had identification to spare. You can also bless them to make them better, especially the ones that are really good already, so unless it's an emergency they're better held onto. Also, there are nasty ones. Scrolls are also better identified magically and saved until blessed.

Jack Trades posted:

I never played much Nethack but based on my Crawl experience, you're probably okay with drinking everything as long as you do that in safe areas.

There are always some tricks (like spawning rules and such) that could help you to narrow down what kind of potion it might be but that would require you to be autistic, so just stick to drinking everything.

Crawl is this way because people got sick of how cautious you used to have to be, though, which is an attribute old Crawl shared with Nethack.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Play Nethack until you ascend, then you have earned the right to move on :colbert:

Do it as a valkyrie and fully spoiled, though, no need to go overboard.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

You internalize the spoilers after a while. Watching the old Let's Play by a tournament winner helps get the habits of a good player in mind and most of the really run-threatening stuff is easy to remember. Abuse Elbereth, get as strong as possible early through the Mines and Sokoban, make your wishes intelligently, and you'll be OK. The game is a collection of bizarrely interacting systems but once you know what to do to win it's not actually that hard to do. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who clearly wasn't enthusiastic about Nethack, but this guy is, so :shrug:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nethack is a good game.

Nethack is a bad game.

Both of these things are true.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thorsilver posted:

Who's downloading Nethack and not expecting something difficult? The Nethack website itself advises caution in the second sentence of its intro to the game: ' the emphasis in NetHack is on discovering the detail of the dungeon and not simply killing everything in sight - in fact, killing everything in sight is a good way to die quickly'. And any Google search on the game will turn up page after page of discussion on how difficult the game is, sharing spoilers and ascension tips, etc.

Yeah, this, basically. I don't really see a huge difference between, say, Nethack and Crawl in this regard - when I play Crawl, I die a lot because I don't really know what the hell I'm doing. In fact, comparing Nethack and Crawl, I've had a much higher percentage of games that end on the first few floors in Crawl. If I played the game more or read spoilers, I would improve due to my knowledge. The command set in Crawl is more restricted, but that's a matter of streamlining and different emphasis, not a totally different game design. There are aspects of Nethack that are really dumb - Elbereth comes to mind, the combat should have just been balanced such that players were always effectively as strong as they are when standing on Elbereth - but even those tend to be due to overly ambitious design rather than fundamentally flawed design.

Nethack is not a bad game, it just emphasizes different parts of Rogue's design than what most roguelikes have focused on. This has always been what made it stand out from the crowd - ADOM is similar in that regard. Most roguelikes, especially recently, are combat focused due to being conceptually descended more from Moria/Angband or Crawl. For a game that focuses on combat system mastery, of course a complicated ID game and lots of monsters and objects having unique quirks that you have to remember specifically is undesirable - it detracts from the main point of the game. Rogue, though, had both of those things, and for better or for worse Nethack's emphasis is on mastering item manipulation and gaining knowledge about what you need to beat the game, then using that aggressively through player-knowledge-dependent tools like wishing and genocide scrolls. I do understand not liking it (I moved on to other roguelikes for a reason after I ascended a couple of times) but it certainly achieves what it sets out to do.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Equipment leveling can be a pretty cool mechanic if it's handled right. Simply including it as a mechanic doesn't automatically turn the game into a Disgaea or Phantom Brave :v:

Roguelike Disgaea could be amazing, now that you mention it. Item World (for those unfamiliar, every item - yes, every item - in Disgaea has randomly generated levels inside of it you can enter to power the item up) is a really cool mechanic that's mostly spoiled by the fact that the worthwhile items have 100 loving floors in them each. Compress it down to 5 or so screens per item, have items be very distinct and mostly side-grade-y so that your efforts aren't rendered worthless by the shops getting better items, and you've got a pretty decent system to make a roguelike around.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My main concern with "your equipment levels up" is that what I hear is "you choose some equipment at the start of the game and never change it", either because changing means starting the grind over, or because your choice of equipment is effectively deciding your build and you aren't incentivized to (or maybe even aren't allowed to) change your build mid-game. So you start out hitting things with a sledgehammer at level 1, and 50 levels later you're still hitting things with a sledgehammer.

I mean, it's entirely possible to make a good game with leveling equipment. I just don't see it as an innately good idea.

There was a mod for Diablo II called Sir General's Rune Mod that handled this really well. Runes, which each gave a tiny bonus (+1 damage of a certain element, 1% life leech, etc.) and had varying rarities, were the basic drops of the mod. You combined these infinitely with basic weapons and armor, which were mostly a cosmetic choice, and this was the only way to advance your gear at all. However, you had to specialize each item into a particular element, and most runes only worked on equipment of a specific element; as such, you might always have, say, that lightning sledgehammer you made at level 2, but you also have an earth spear, and a water sword, and so on, according to whatever you chose, and they each had a different niche, while still evolving in random and interesting ways over the course of a character's lifetime. This was especially interesting in multiplayer since you usually decided with the other folks you were playing with what elements you each wanted to specialize in - this reduced overlapping demand for loot and gave everyone sort of a secondary class mechanic. At the same time, in singleplayer it made you really diverse, since you could change out playstyles to an extent just by swapping to a different weapon or piece of armor that had evolved differently.

I think the mod itself basically doesn't exist anywhere on the internet anymore with the demise of Planet Diablo but it was an incredibly powerful concept. Sort of a "build-your-own-artifacts" thing.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 29, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quote:

I have no idea how you'd improve that fight. Rodney is arguably much less interesting in any single matchup and is trivially disposed of, but what makes him interesting is that he doesn't stay dead; you end up in a running battle with him across ~40 floors of dungeon in which straight up fights with Rodney are mixed up with magical attacks and summoning of random bullshit at your location. But Dredmor doesn't have the same "escape the dungeon" goal.

Why not make it so you have to escape from the bottom to the top with Dredmor's phylactery so you can expose it to sunlight to finally destroy him for good or something? There's nothing quite like an ascension run to add tension to the end of a roguelike.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Give teleporters a rainbow of possible colors, with the two ends of a particular set corresponding, so that I can keep the drat things straight :psyduck:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

All of the towns except Last Hope have two dungeons next to them which are intended to be done first. You don't have to do all of them on every character but it can be a good idea to squeeze out extra loot and experience from doing more than just your own starter dungeons. Trollmire in particular I always go through as it has an easy bonus boss.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

My first was Nethack, then Angband and ToME2. Oh, and Crawl of course.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I would avoid anti-magic on a rogue, there are lots of good daggers that are arcane.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tollymain posted:

remember that conquest of elysium game we played for a month

well the thread for that is dead and im playing it again and want to talk about it with goons so im gonna talk about it here

im playing voice of el right now and a senator is dominating the map and my only hope is that i can avoid their undivided attention long enough for el to start sending doom angels and stuff. i could take out my other nearest neighbor (bakemono) pretty easily right now but i think they and their oni stack running around flagging senator sites is the main reason i haven't been overrun with endless legions

also i made a mod that makes the pale ones not garbage but i've probably overtuned them

make sure you play with the goon mods from the thread, they make the early game indescribably better

i need to sit down and make the half-cost-units/rituals mod i was planning to do, i think it would speed things up a lot

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if you've never played angband you owe it to yourself to do it

much like nethack it's a relic of a different time but unlike nethack it's not abandoned, so you do get a more modern experience in some ways

it's diablo 2 hardcore in ascii more or less

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mountain dwarves :colbert:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

So I've gotten a few human fighters murdered in Angband so far. What do character levels actually do besides give you more hp?

Spell access and SP, as well. Fighters are really hard in Angband, standard humans doubly so. Dunadan Paladin is a friendlier start, the low XP modifier races are for experienced players trying to go fast imo as you get plenty of XP just bumping around looking for loot at level-appropriate depths.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Artificer posted:

Is Fallen Empire akin to Late Age DomIV?

Late Age, with the barbarian NPCs playing the role of Ermor.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tollymain posted:

how difficult would it be to mod an ai setting in conquest of elysium that steps up the ladder as factions are eliminated

impossible, coe4 modding is a dark art and you only have access to units, spells, rituals, terrain, and other stuff that's actually on the map

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I finally got over CoE4's UI and general clunkiness only to realize I don't like it very much as a game. :(

It's depressingly simple; the combination of random leader recruitment and leaders being the ONLY way to move troops around was a really bad decision; the seasonal changes to income often end up just meaning the game slows to a crawl in the winter; most factions seem stuck on a spectrum where either they take too much tedious micromanagement or they practically play themselves with no happy medium.

I will say that the AI actually seems pretty solid for a game of this type, which is especially surprising coming from the Illwinter guys -- usually that's the weakest part of their games. But mostly I just found myself wishing I were playing Warlords 3 instead (and that it didn't take literal black magic to install that game on Windows 10, goddamn.)

i've been too lazy to implement it but i think a half-costs mod would do a lot to make it better

i like coe4 a lot but the pace kills me, the game would be way cooler if every faction could get like 5 or 6 top level stacks out on the field feasibly

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I just want to find the Artifact Spellbook of Summon Dire Bears like Elisha did.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Go up (stairs) thou bald head

Thou art early, but we'll admit thee.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I found XLarn in Steam today.

It claims that Larn was an influential roguelike from the 80s, and well, I've never heard of it? So I came to you guys so you could hopefully let me know if it's any good / fun to play.

e: I've also found Anais Roguelike which is yet another actual roguelike I've never heard of!

Larn is indeed a classic, one of the original big roguelikes alongside Rogue itself, Moria, Hack, and Omega. It is very innovative for the time and simply different from any other roguelike; worth playing at least a bit of. I don't know anything about XLarn though, that's a variant.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nope.
Oooh, I had no idea. I've never heard of Omega - I know Hack and Moria - precursors to ToME and Nethack, yeah?

Nethack arose straight from Hack, while ToME took a long and winding road through Angband and then the original Middle Earth themed ToME before arriving where it is today, but yeah.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

nethack is not a bad game and people should play it. but to win in a reasonable number of attempts you need to know stuff you'd never learn on your own.

anyone who wants to get into it should dive in, play enough to understand the basics, and then watch good nethack players play for a while. i watched the old goon let's play. once you have a sense of the needed gear for finishing the game and how to get it, ascension should come relatively easily and instant death should be very rare

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 27, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kanos posted:

I picked up Dungeonmans and I'm super mixed on it. I like the writing and the meta-progression feels insanely strong(it took roughly 5 minutes for my second character to overpower my first one at his time of death), but the skill trees feel really weird and disjointed and I'm not really sure how I should be building a character. It also makes me feel a little bit like a newbie playing ToME for the first time because I lost my first character in an area where I was trivially one shotting all of the trash with no effort and then the area champion did 125% of my life with his first attack. :psyduck:

Every skill point is consequential in Dungeonmans. Many of the skills are about positioning, buffing, etc. which just takes a little bit of practice to see the uses of.

If you want my advice, start out as a Dungeonmans, and get Applied Wizardry, The Terrible Basics of Necromancy, and Raise a Mostly. On first level up, grab Volatile Liquidity. This is a very straightforward starting build: foom bolt down basic enemies, against champions or unusually tough things, raise a mostly and infect the strong thing with Volatile Liquidity, and any of its buddies too. This basically mulches 95% of the early game without much further investment, so you can feel free to grab other stuff or continue down the trees you started with. Southern Gentlemans skills and Bannermans skills both go well with a necromancer lifestyle (or any, really), so you can branch into those too. Make sure you grab an armor skill (any is fine, mages can wear Real Armor just fine and I usually do).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Nethack is clunky and mired in old school game design and absolutely requires that you have a wiki open at all times even after you learn all its eccentricities.

DCSS, for better or worse, is almost slavishly dedicated to being the most simple 'traditional' roguelike available.

Or, to put it another way: DCSS has an SA thread. Nethack does not.

once you learn nethack you can play without a wiki very easily it's not actually that complicated

literally all of the instant deaths are avoidable with mild effort and knowing where to go when, especially since the game gives you a wand of wishing before it really starts to throw anything too outrageous at you, and there's a decent chance you'll get a magic lamp fairly early anyway. the item effects are mostly straightforward and once you know what you need to survive ascension the game becomes a matter of assembling the right stuff and then (probably) winning.

the only reason i could see someone skilled needing to consult a reference is for the really detailed price identification and you're really ruining the game for yourself if you engage in that kind of tedium.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank you so much!

And yeah - I could see the shape of the game more as I played. On Jester difficulty I got away with just deathballing around killing things, and it would've been a pain to split up and hold things, so I stopped there. I'm hyped to play a new game tomorrow though, and bump the difficulty up so I have to play it properly and actually worry about holding things and so on.

I'm basically doing difficulty tuning like I had to in Invisible Inc - at easy that game is boring and terrible, but the hardest is too hard for me, so gotta find the right level between losing constantly and being bored to tears.

i usually play on a huge map with 9 AIs on baron. everyone gets a fairly significant territory of their own, but not so much that the game is boring - just enough that your first major battles are going to involve more than regular troops, though. the AI is reasonably competent without being able to simply outbuild you.