Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SEKCobra posted:

Headshots are normal for all CVs here, is this not true for you guys?

I think the idea is the only reason you'd need a head shot for most jobs is to discriminate illegally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've really enjoyed reading an A+ study guide. I'm new to IT but I've been a "computer guy" for a long time.

My knowledge is a bit like swiss cheese: thick and rich in most places but there are some big holes.

So now I know how a laser printer actually works, that file systems have improved since FAT32, the basics for smartphones and what a subnet mask is.

Now I've just got to pass the test.

Edit:
Oops, I messed up and meant to post this in the IT thread.
Right thread, but a page late. A+ is good for new people like me but I'd hate to try and study it if I was a few years more advanced.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 14, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm not really a beer guy, but I did pick me up some Angry Orchard Hard Cider after trying some at the pub last week. Not bad.

I think Angry Orchard is way too sweet. But it's better than no cider at all.

Experto Crede posted:

Can someone recommend a polite way to tell a client on the phone that, no, they don't need to write out the whole ticket whilst on the phone with me?

Maybe you could say something like "Sometimes I like to stay on the phone with people while they fill out the ticket, but I trust you, you're a reliable guy. I know that you'll get that ticket finished and do it right so I'm going to let you go, okay?"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SlayVus posted:

It would be interesting if there were cameras on all the floor covering all the cubicles that IT had access to.

:eng101:: Did you restart your computer?
:downs: : Yes
:eng101:: I am looking at the security cameras and I see that all you're doing is playing solitaire on your PC. Please restart your PC before I can continue helping you.
code:

Get-WmiObject win32_operatingsystem -computer 127.0.0.1| select csname, @{LABEL='LastBootUpTime'

;EXPRESSION={$_.ConverttoDateTime($_.lastbootuptime)}}

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector_71 posted:

Or just type "net statistics server" in the command prompt.

I'm not familiar with that command, how do you target a remote PC in the domain?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

fatman1683 posted:

We use BGInfo for this purpose and have the computer name, IP addresses and other important poo poo displayed on the desktop.

This actually works really well. It doesn't matter if I'm talking to a cook or an analyst or even a manager, they can find that big old number at the top right hand side of the screen.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

anthonypants posted:

When I worked for a city at my last job, the fire department wanted to buy this augmented reality app for their iPads to set buildings on fire for training scenarios :shobon:

Augmented Reality

Edit:
Be careful, that fire up on the stairs is clearly a chemical fire and you need to take special precautions.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dead Cow posted:

The other 20% :iiam: I fix things by standing next to the computers all the time.

I'm new to IT, but I've been a technician for a long time. The theory I've heard was described as "Bozon" field theory. See, there's these Bozon fields everwhere, they're just part of nature. The problem is that electronics are very sensitive to Bozons, too much Bozon radiaton in one place and buttons stop working, equipment won't turn on, glitches show up, etc.

For reasons that science can't explain, technicians can absorb Bozons. Just being in the same room, or even better, touching equipment can fix a Bozon problem.

Watch out though, there are some people who seem to emit Bozons. I think we've all met one of these people.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ratbert90 posted:

And this is why I use Linux (at work). gently caress you all with the need for GUI's. :smug: CLI interface best interface.

Stop-Computer -Force -Computername localhost

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 6, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Trastion posted:

Wait, wouldn't S&M be turn on. It's a turn on for me at least. :rimshot:

Yeah, I've got it all screwed up. That's what I get for trying to do this from memory.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

That's pretty much the example used to demonstrate the Pigeonhole principle. That and computing the minimum number of men in New York City who have the exact same number of hairs on their head.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

stubblyhead posted:

No, I think I would remember a story about a gently caress switch.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

The best ticket I ever saw needs a little explaining. The ticket itself was an escalation to a developer regarding an issue with switch hook flash not working a certain Japanese version of a Commercial phone switch. If you translate switch hook flash into Japanese, but use English characters (not sure what that is called) switch hook flash becomes switchero fukko.

The Japanese engineer who put in the ticket must have tried to translate back phonetically, because the ticket read:

gently caress switch not working.

And they were right!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Maybe if your job involves sending and receiving a variety of large files it'd make sense because you could fill up over the weekend.

Like a marketing person who sends and receives art and video back and forth as different people make revisions and suggestions.

And if you've got 8 projects at different stages going down the pipe, you can fill up a box quickly.

That said, they don't need to keep 100 versions of 3 year old projects in their archives.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you don't want to renew that website, PM me the address and I'll buy it when it expires. I'll probably use it to show off pictures of my car or aquarium.

I've been wanting to learn Web Development and it'd be nice to start with a website that people already have in their favorites bar.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I have some people who use the number pad for their password. Sometimes the numlock key gets hit and the trouble report I get is that "when I log in, it takes me back to the login screen again."

What's really happening is they type "GoP@ckers2 enter" but the 2 is actually a down arrow which selects "Switch User"

The worst thing for me is when you're trying to help someone choose a password.
I just love this:
pre:
Username: JDoe45
Password: **********
Confirm : ********

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nexxai posted:

If they're using Windows 7 (or 8 - I don't know since I've never used it), if you open the start menu, type in "Record steps", the first option "Record steps to reproduce a problem" will do exactly what you're looking for.

Problem Steps Recorder (PSR) is a pretty handy little tool. I've been using it lately to do rough drafts for documentation.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Potato Alley posted:

I've spent my entire weekend moving VMs from California to Lansing, MI across a 6 megabit MPLS. Here's the great thing - VMware Converter for whatever reason is having transfer issues, no matter whether it's hot or cold V2V, and will slow down to about 1 megabit. These VMs range from 30 to 250 GB, and while most of them are thin provisioned, that doesn't matter if it's going at 1 megabit because it'll still take 6+ days. So I basically had to shut VMs down, download the folder from the datastore, compress it using 7-Zip on ultra (which, by the way is AMAZING, seems to be able to read the zeros in the thin-provisioned disk successfully, and I'm getting files literally 30-40% the size of what the VM's actual disk usage was, not 30% of the entire disk size, like two web servers with 9.5 GB used on a 40 GB disk ended up as 3.2 GB files - however, the cost for that is time, and each VM takes about 8 hours to compress), and then Teracopying across, decompressing (which also takes 3 hours per), and uploading to the datastore on the other end. Because that's STILL much faster than Converter (which is the most recent version, doesn't matter whether I initiate from Lansing or California, etc).

Whatever, it's in my best interest to get it done ASAP because these are the critical line of business servers that are finally moving from our client's DC (which is getting decommed) to their in-process-of-borging-them parent company's DC, and once they're there, hey hey, no longer my loving problem. But it's still annoying.

I'm sort of new to IT, but at some point doesn't it become more cost effective to transfer everything to a physical medium and mail or even personally deliver the data?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MJP posted:

Adventures in YotJ!

It should be said that "ability to perform basic algebra or literally copy and paste poo poo into Google" is not listed as a requirement, while the problem can be solved either way.

Or even better yet: "I didn't solve the math problem or Google it; I created a Powershell script to just run nslookup SMTP queries until I got an appropriate response."

The classic example is a fly traveling between two trains.
Here's a neat anecdote involving physicist John von Neumann:

quote:

Another mathematician knew the quick solution to the Fly problem and wanted to see von Neumann struggle with it. He posed the question and von Neumann responded with the right answer in a few seconds.

"Interesting," said the first mathematician. "Most people try to sum the infinite series."

"What do you mean?" von Neumann replied. "That's how I did it."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nitrogen posted:

My employer does not give a gently caress about my happiness or well being.

Not necessarily true. In many states there are no requirements for breaks or lunch periods. Most employers provide them anyways. Why? Because people are more efficient and productive when they get breaks.

The same goes for vacation time. It's a productivity booster.

Who the gently caress cares if they stay home to play cookie clicker while watching My Little Pony on Netflix. If they come back to work refreshed and recharged, the vacation did its job.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When I request PTO, I don't give any reason at all. My boss can choose to imagine that I'm spending the day fishing or drinking or playing video games. He doesn't need to know that I'm going to take a class on performing stand-up comedy.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ConfusedUs posted:

So this Cryptolocker thing is floating around and really picking up steam:
http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/1mizfx/proper_care_feeding_of_your_cryptolocker/

gently caress the people who wrote this thing. It's simple, evil, and they're going to make some bank.

Can anyone tell me if this solution looks legit?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Galler posted:

Someone needs to give one of those scammers access to a VM setup like this. They also need to roleplay someone who is very particular about how their computer is setup and that everything is perfect right now oh god don't touch anything I need that.

Oh god, giving them access to a VM sounds like fun. I wonder how long it would take them to realize something was up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Haha, how is that sort of thing even legal? I can think of 0 legitimate uses for that.

There's a huge chunk of the population that doesn't have access to banking. This allows that segment access to markets that don't do business in cash.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That's actually a pretty generous policy. My company does lockouts after 3 attempts, no automatic unlock.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The funny thing is that it almost guarantees that passwords will be in the form of P@ckers1 P@ckers2 P@ckers3...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

HalloKitty posted:

Alcohol has no doubt caused me to make two elementary mistakes in a short space of time on this noble forum; for that I unequivocally apologise. Lest I am banned and have to pay ten dollars, I will gladly give the money to Lowtax for my foolishness.

I get that way too when I'm looking forward to the first drink of the night. It's hard to post straight without a beer on the desk.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
A while back where I work, someone accidentally dropped a wrench onto a coworker's head. The person who got hit got drug tested.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

peak debt posted:

Maybe you already know this but with the CLASSPATH environment variable you can install multiple Java runtimes on one computer and run each application on exactly the edition it requires without compromising system security (too much).

I didn't know that! Is there a good guide on how to implement that?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I try to be sympathetic when ridiculous requests come in, it's pretty difficult for someone who's not very technical to understand what is and isn't reasonable.
Communicate with a room full of people 2000 miles away as if they're in the same room: Reasonable
Sort through 20 Million Records to find the specific customer we're looking for: Reasonable
Multiple remote microphones for a speakerphone: That might be tricky

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

peak debt posted:

I'm convinced it's a hobby of certain users to call in a ticket at 16:59, then immediately sprint away to their already running car.

Whenever I get these calls, I picture them sitting in their car while holding onto a telephone handset that's been stretched, looney tunes style, all the way back into their office. As soon as they finish the message they let go and P-Shoooo, it flies through the front door, up three flights of stairs, under some tables in the coffee room and slams into the phone cradle. Beep! You have one new message!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

tehloki posted:

Warning: homestuck shibboleth

Wow, talk about accidentally authenticating myself into the worst club ever.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm at help desk level but it sounds like they're thinking of things that have legitimately eaten up a ridiculous amount of time.
They're also probably unskilled at running meetings and facilitating discussion. I'm guessing that the meeting went into a lot more depth than the notes suggest.
Edit:

blackswordca posted:

No pictures, but the email did come in Comic Sans.

Nevermind.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TWBalls posted:

Forward that to whomever is above him and ask if that is an appropriate response that an end user should expect. If so, the next time he kicks a ticket to you, do the same back. When they try to discipline you, refer them to that email.

I think that's probably the best solution. I'd been turning the situation around in my head for a while to figure out the safest way to handle this.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blackswordca posted:

I added the two google DNS servers and now everything is working a lot better.

Serious question: Unless you work for Bing or something, is there any reason to not use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

toe shoes posted:

Come to Australia and have your local DNS requests go to America and back?

My ISP also provides a free *nix mirror as long as I'm using their DNS servers too.

I guess that makes sense. I guess I just picture Google as being magically everywhere instantly.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ElGroucho posted:

Why do all electrical engineers write code that saves files directly to the root of c:\ ? Is there a special school they go to in order to learn bad programming habits? :bang:

Look, it's either there or your desktop and unless you have multiple monitors or have a really high resolution, I don't think you have room for the 100K data files in my software.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

demonachizer posted:

I love poo poo like that. Servers getting walled in to the back of a closet, random equipment in a room that is bricked over, poo poo like that.

When I was in the Navy, there were legends about workshops and hallways being accidentally sealed off on the Kitty Hawk. One guy claimed that he discovered a hallway of offices that could only be accessed via a vertical shaft.

If I found something like that, I'd have wired up a telephone and given myself an office.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Caged posted:

"The toilets are overflowing and maintenance won't answer the phone"

Notes:
Walked down to maintenance department, no employees present. Called maintenance phone from cellphone: Maintenance phone rings. Answered maintenance phone and performed voice check: Passed.
Closed:
Verified that maintenance phone is functional.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Don't write anything that will look bad when you're in court defending against an accusation of industrial sabotage or some other frivolous bullshit. Write the mean letter because it will make you feel better, but then send in a super professional letter that talks about how much of a learning experience it was working there and how you're looking forward to opportunities to work together in the future.

Or do something where the first letter of every sentence spells out something funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dick Trauma posted:

Time to discuss the Divine Right of Sysadmins.

That's creepily close to the truth. Whenever someone gets a 'new' computer, IT has already spent a night with it.

• Locked thread