Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I feel like it's a bit of a stretch to flame someone for using a Foghorn Leghorn saying, but a dude commenting on NBA for a living should probably know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"The only reason someone would post this is if they were an empty husk of a failed PR Marketing intern who thinks what they buy and consume defines them."
"Yeah, you are right. I shouldn't post this....OH WAIT"
(posts picture of entire professional career)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think there is enough room to know that Gatorade has probably enough interesting tidbits and innovation to warrant a book but have it also hilarious that Darren Rovell wrote it and uses it to gatekeep people on Twitter.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm like 75% sure that guy was a plant because Darren thought a Twitter own would help his brand.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Rip Ewing , Barkley and Byron Russell

:smith: will never forget

It's Bryon Russell, there was never an NBA player named Byron Russell even though everyone totally remembers that guy. It's the NBA version of the Berenstein Bears.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m pretty sure the 3-4 seeds in the West could all have beaten this Cavs team

Nah, Boston was pretty equivalent or slightly better than Portland/OKC by most metrics and that was a close series. I expect Cleveland against either would could have gone either way, but I don't know that they'd even be favorites.

Toronto was way better than the 3/4 seeds but I won't use them for shookness reasons.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm being pedantic (On the Internet?!) but $540 gives you more than just soccer games. That's like saying they are charging $600 for Comedy Central in my city because the cheapest cable packaged that includes it is $50.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

"This video contains content from the NFL, who has blocked it from display"

It's impossible to talk about the NFL trying to innovate slightly without remembering they are the NFL.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

xbilkis posted:

but also

Comparing single game ratings when NBA has 6x the number of games isn't exactly an apples-to-apples.

edit: I think NFL viewership is doing fine, but dismissing the the fact that one sport is rising and the other isn't because one sport isn't on for 82 vs 16 regular season games isn't proving much either.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All part of the larger, Aaron Rodgers gay agenda.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Well to be fair India really only cares about cricket. And they really loving care about cricket.

And field hockey, though I don't know where they rank in the world or if there are even world rankings or even how do you play field hockey

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

soggybagel posted:

I remember one time at a family gathering, I think thanksgiving a team was kicking a pivotal field goal maybe even a game winner and as the ball was mid flight the tv shut off and all of us looked at each other and were like “wtf.” It was super comical and it turns out someone just knocked the power plug out of the wall.

Soggybagel's cousin

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A bigger, heavier ball.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Timby posted:

Joe Buck is actively awful and has admitted in the past that he finds baseball boring, and Smoltz is just 31 flavors of sanctimonious poo poo.

Unfortunately, the alternative to a PBP guy on Fox is Thom Brennaman and the alternate to Smoltz is loving Tom Verducci.

I prefer Joe Buck Baseball to Joe Buck Football. Buck doesn't seem to understand at all what is going on on the field.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Perfect way of handling that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The great NBA stories of Memphis, Sacramento, Milwaukee and Indiana prolly doesn't translate well outside hard core NBA circles....

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Boston and Philadelphia aren't good?

Some of this is just a natural eb and flow coming off a few years of growth. It seems like the NFL is a little more engaging this year and some of the NBA viewership may be going there right now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Players generally like the bye weeks and it would be easier on their bodies. It would mean a week less of off season but they'd probably be ok with it. Added revenue to go to the salary cap would be gravy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Next, send Joe Buck to a farm where he can run free and not announce games, thanks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Oh yeah, I just watched some. "in this anything goes society its impolite to point out that traditional families build better products and prodigies."

So like its just gay marriage/adoption mixed with "black dads leaving" and some weird rear end thing describing children as "products". That seems normal.

Imagine having a kid and raising him the best you can and all he does is grow up to be Lebron James. SMH.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

NBA's ratings were softly high last year for a few different reasons, so this regression isn't a big surprise. Lebron taking a semi-sabbatical and the fact that NBA is going to be a canary for moving to streaming is going to accelerate the dip.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This is the equivalent of seat license fees for season tickets.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good for him but they should just give the LeBatard people his salary instead. The network really needs to move on from the hot take stuff

It's the most reliable thing 24x7 cable (sports) news has going for it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

How is Mike Wilbon, with decades of broadcasting experience, supposed to know this boring tornado alert poo poo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

me either. berman has his faults but he was really good at being a belligerent idiotic sports guy recapping the day's games. i used to watch that every week, NBC's doesn't have the music and is not as good

I thought Berman was decent at what he did but he has/had a REALLY over-inflated sense of his importance to the football world. I recall some interview he gave where he matter-of-factly stated that he was a major reason for NFL's popularity surge in such a way that it was a given everyone knew about.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

My favorite JVG was when he was openly trying to get Spo fired during the first Lebron Heat year so JVG could take his job.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

it actually owned when JVG was just going to town on Garpax because he was sticking up for Thibs.

Yeah, there have been many JVG rants that I've really liked but the frequency of those vs "old man yells at TV" is definitely moving in the wrong direction the further JVG gets from the actual game.

What I'm saying is color commentators, like Supreme Court Justices, probably should have term limits.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I'm pretty sure the plan is for Vince to eat the upfront costs for a couple of years and then start clawing his way up in rights fees if it takes off

All the other spring/non-NFL football leagues did great so there's no reason to believe this one won't also have long-term success.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It'd be nice if the NFL had a proper minor league.

A real minor league implies at least a subset of players would go through it first, and I think in general we need to reduce how much football pros play for their health and general longevity.

Crazy Ted posted:

If you live out west just set aside your late Friday nights for Aussie Rules Football.

This man knows.

Sash! posted:

I love football, but I don't need round the year football. I love sports, but I like having an off season where my nights and weekends aren't in front of the TV.

Yeah, I think at some point the off-season is pretty important to the sport.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Island Nation posted:

Didn't the worse three teams all have the same chance of winning or did ESPN think the NBA was going to rig the draft?

Yeah, NYK Cleveland and Phx all had 14% chance at the #1
https://www.nba.com/nba-draft-lottery-explainer

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gobias Ind. posted:

Don't really know how ratings work, but here are Canadian numbers:

https://twitter.com/hailey_salvian/status/1134545109729628163?s=19

Wait, could you get the game in Toronto if you don't have cable?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

You could only get the Canadian broadcast team on cable. It wasn’t on any of the Canadian OTA networks but we can get Buffalo’s ABC signal here.

A savage place.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Most of the bad teams are really just bad color guys. Breen is great and Tessitore is pretty good. Harlan is the best in the business but on the NBA he gets saddled with Reggie Miller at the very least.

I always loved Sean McDonough and Spielman but they aren't paired together anymore.

Marv Albert seems mostly incapable of calling an NBA game nowadays.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

We just can't afford to pay the women any more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I hope to god Marv is retiring.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Holy poo poo that burn

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

In what universe does the QB just stand there the whole game?

Track and Field Sprinter: Failure of an athlete.

Pinnacle of athletic achievement:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Uhh, is there some other context for "Grand Wizard" here? Does he really think it means some Wizard who is just GRAND?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

old, rumpled rear end berman on a stage yelling WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP as slavoj zizek explains the play action pass as a quinteshhhential SNIFF diaclectic

This is a good page so far. Coming along nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

My dad thought about cutting the cord, so I did some math based on his and my mother's viewing patterns. It turns out their tastes are so varied, cable is cheaper than the mix-and-match of "cable with buffering" services they'd need to get.

My wife was kinda the same way, but when I canceled cable and got an OTA antenna and Hulu (we already had Netflix) she just changed what she was watching. A lot of stuff on cable is pretty much replacable background noise.