Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I was always really interested in Dom3, but last time I checked it was still physical only for ridiculous money. Think I'll have to check this one out. It always struck me as a ridiculously complex version of the Fall from Heaven 2 mod for Civ 4.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Okay, everyone keeps talking about 'scales'. What the heck is that?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Ah, I see. I know how those work, I just wasn't aware that they were referred to as scales. I thought it was some super-secret lizardman strat or something v:v:v

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
So if I play king of bones I can expect everyone to gang up on me? Booooo :mad:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Any new people (like myself) want to try learning the game by playing against each other? I don't see much point in playing against the AI if it's as horrible as people in this thread are saying?

I'd probably be down for this.

And re: learning the game with Ermor being a bad idea, probably, but I tend to gravitate to those kinds of races (my first race in Sword of the Stars was Hiver :v:)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Kin33 posted:

I'm not sure what Hivers do but if you want to spam undead then LA C'Tis can be pretty fun. Your priests can reanimate undead chariots and your mages can skele spam with the best of them. I'm guessing they got nerfed pretty hard with slow to recruit though(though so did most nations so maybe not). If freespawn is your thing then Pangaea and its hordes of Maenads might be a good nation to try.

Hiver was different in that you didn't have a regular ftl drive, so you expanded really slowly, but once you reached another planet you could set up a gate that allowed you to instantaneously move a large number of ships from any gate to any other gate in one turn, meaning you could essentially ignore fuel and defense fleets, which you needed to deal with for all of the other races. Similar to the problem with starting with Ermor (get to ignore key parts of the game compared to other races). I'll give LA C'Tis a look though.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

BenRGamer posted:

So, what's the difference between Dom3 and Dom4?

TheDemon posted:

What's changed in Dominions 4?

Illwinter has a list here, but to sum up
- Team support
- UI Improvement & Streamlining, for example you can give orders without opening the scripting window
- Support for widescreen and big resolutions
- Gemuse toggle
- Reworked blesses
- New scripting options like Formations and Fire and Keep At Range
- New sprites
- New nations, new spells, new mechanics
- Better modding support like full Item Modding

In terms of new mechanics, these are the things you'll have to adapt to:
- Tax management removed. Big implications for blood hunting, we're waiting on new BH mechanics.
- Tax and gem income now has to be traced back to a fort. Raiding is both more difficult and more tactical.
- Rituals have a range. No more teleport across the entire map, but range 6 teleport is still pretty good.
- Research formula is now 5+2xPaths. Magic scales are now +1/-1 rp per tick. Research costs are much higher at top levels (5k at level 9).
- Some mages are "slow to recruit" meaning they take two turns. You'll need to build more forts.
- Some mages are now recruitable without forts, dependent on terrain type, like LA Pyth's revelers.
- Reverse communions are gone. Learn your standard communions.
- To get bless regen you'll now need N9 for 10%. N4-standard is no longer.
- Lots more, I'll work on a better list.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

This made me laugh way too hard.

Please explain, I need a laugh

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

builds character posted:

Look at this incredibly well-written LP that discusses just such a topic (among many others, including how great the fat guy from lost really is SO GREAT!!!).

http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3-(by-Lilli-et-al)/

Auto url tags evidently don't like parentheses :v:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

tooterfish posted:

I've just been leaving nation selection on random, then trying to figure out what the hell from there.

Gives an incentive to learn new strategies. Seemed to work okay for me in Civ 4.

Some general guides would be nice, the few that are around tend to be very specific. I know it's a complicated game, but an experienced player could look at a nation and see that this mage can cast X, or bless Y would be good. Or even, "these guys suck! I'd better take a blood/death pretender and bootstrap myself into vampires!"

Us new players have no bloody clue at all, it can sometimes leave us floundering!

I'm also new, but I feel like you can't really have a general guide, because the differences between races is not limited to 'gets an improved horse guy in this age, oh and they get slightly more gold.' From what I've seen, you should not only have a good idea about how the race you're playing works, you should also have a plan for how you're going to get to endgame, and what that endgame will be. So, while in Civ you can get by just saying "I'm going to get nukes, and I'm going to nuke EEEEEEEEEVERYTHING AHAHAHAHAHA," (simplified, but it's not too off the mark, I think :v:), in Dominions, you say "I want to get to Wish and start chain-casting it, but to do that I'm going to need to be able to mass produce Clams, and for that I need lots of water/nature mages and Construction, and to actually cast it I'll need a ton of Astral on my pretender, so I'll need these booster items, and..." (Dom 3 example). I'd say that unless you're going for such a super-specific strategy, if you're just learning, just get someone to tell you what x spell does, and if it's generally considered worth it, and then just try it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
To expand on that, don't be afraid to play multi-player because you're "bad" or afraid of losing, everyone loses more than they win, just give yourself a goal (take a good dual bless, murder the first neighbor you run into, for example) or gimmick (take a Freak Lord, make heavy use of cross breeding) and go for it. You'll have more fun than trying to minmax the best possible way to win (there isn't one).

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
No, clearly it causes major unrest for 12 months or so, plus turmoil and misfortune, because it makes the province unstable, THEN it has a chance to gently caress up the province gently caress up the province.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
I don't think you ever really want to take off paths with dragons. Also, which age? I think MA has wardens of Avalon, which I believe are pretty solid sacreds.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Diogines posted:

I don't have the patience to play a game which takes weeks, yet, I rarely have the time to do a sit down game with others.

Weeks? Heh.

Seriously, though, just join a couple of games, they're a lot of fun, and playing a long-form game doesn't really take patience, just a decent memory to recall what has been happening.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Why did my Pretender suddenly develop diseases? He wasn't in any fights and isn't old. He just entered a province and is suddenly diseased and suffering a chest wound?

Could be MA C'Tis' Miasma.

E: Actually a site is more likely yeah.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

Ah, that explains it then. I guess I'm gonna aim to conquer the C'tis in the game and see if I can't grab one of those mages to park on it.

I hope it spits out something horrible right next to my capital if I can manage it. :allears:

Unfortunately, you can't recruit nationals even if you take their cap. I think your only recourse is to try enslaving one (or I guess you could wish for one :v:)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

How are u posted:

Wait why do you have to be careful with bottles of living water?

You have to be careful trading them away, because they're really good, and giving your enemy a bunch can backfire

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Going AI is permanent.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Neruz posted:

I volunteer to play MA Ermor in the newbie game to give it that extra bit of authenticity.

Only if you take a blood mage pretender, suicide it to indies on turn 1, and take misfortune 3.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Orchard kind of sucked for team ponymans. We spawned right between team skellington and team nature, so that we were the only target for both. The team didn't really communicate, either, so we were pretty hosed from the start. I had fun, though!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

EA T'ien Ch'i

Welp, now I want to play EA TC

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

akulanization posted:

Here is a metaphor for you, "When he saw the shadow vestal's ten strength, Turin Turambar felt like gravity had failed to keep him tethered to the ground."

This whole discussion is pants-on-head stupid, but I'd just like to point out that that's a simile.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

I'm giving myself away as a former EVE player, but when I saw this the first thing I thought of was Dabigredboat (for those of you who never played, DBRB was notorious for his dog barking constantly over voice chat).

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Nuclearmonkee posted:

R'lyeh's final solution I expect.

Wasn't me, honest.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Boing posted:

I managed to get my Son of Niefel pretender killed in the first year to a Bog Beast rebellion. I thought him and his Jotuns handled the encounter fine, albeit with a little bit of poison. But once all the bog beasts fled the game seemed to speed through about 50 combat turns or something, in each of which there was a message about 'The Independents have routed' and him taking a tick of poison damage so he died apparently out of the blue. Is that just how poison works in combat, or is that a bug?

Yeah, it's the same for bleeding. It will eventually wear off (poison lasts 10 turns, dealing 10% of the total poison damage per turn, while bleeding has a 10% chance + regen level of stopping per turn, according to the manual). It's so that you don't just magically heal the poison/bleeding once all of the enemies are gone.

EFB

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Donkringel posted:

Libluini;

I read through your posts.

For a freespawn gem driven economy, couldnt you just do your gold/resource vortex to ensure you have no gold, then make all your units sacred to ensure they don't desert? As for temples/forts, screw em. For dom, make your commanders create a low level candle push, like the prophet, pretender and that weird giant idol at the end of construction magic line.

This will probably be unbalanced as hell, but maybe make the units weaker/only certain units have dompush. So make the balancing act between "Do I want useful commanders/units, or do I want dompush from my frail weak commanders?" That seems the easiest way to handle all the weird questions for a gem driven economy, though again I don't know how balanced it will be.

The main issue with the income vortex is it makes the nation's cap a giant gently caress-you to anyone who captures it on a level that Ashen Emipre can only dream of.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

That's pretty much goodnamegame as well.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
:ohdear: I'm tempted to play a game of maps again.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
He's actually got a stealth army sitting there as PD. It's a bluff.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Gaghskull posted:

WHERE THE gently caress DID YOU FIND THAT FISH? YOU WERE FOUND IN A LANDLOCKED MOUNTAIN PROVINCE...

Mountains have streams, y'know.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Gaghskull posted:

Cod lives in the ocean. :colbert:

Not all of them :smugbert:

Carcer posted:

Cod are also much bigger than that.

Obviously he picked a juvenile so he could be the Fish of Cod.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Density posted:

Boy did I look like an idiot when I thought that the internet was right about patrol mechanics for blood hunting. Just assume that non-goons are always wrong about dominions. Stay safe out there.

What was it they were wrong about?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Fat Samurai posted:

Because I haven't managed to CheatEngine my way to extra Pretender points without the game noticing.

You're going about it wrong. What you do is make a mod that makes questionable changes to every nation and host your own games running it. One of those changes being a pretender specific to the nation you plan to play that costs -1000 points. Then after that game update your mod to 'tweak the balance' and move on to the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
I dunno if PD patrols for stealthy dudes with the same effectiveness as an army with the exact same makeup would, but they don't patrol down unrest like the army command (they don't kill malcontents, you just get 1 unrest reduction per 10 PD). This is dominions, though, so I'm certain of nothing :v:

• Locked thread