Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Don't think I ever had this one happen in a Dom3 game.. let's see what we got here.

An insane commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I got another one about a year later. Misfortune 2. Jerks.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

That's a great collection of stuff, thanks!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Did he destroy any temples yet?

He "preached", did some "site searching" every other turn (no paths in anything, naturally). I tried to build a fort with him but he decided to do his own thing the very next turn and when I tried to continue building there was no sign of any building in progress. No sign of my money, either.

Fed him to indies.

In other news, Arco's Engineers REALLY don't like long, drawn-out sieges.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Update notes popped up when I launched a few minutes ago.

code:
GAME
Air shield from throne show in bless info
Alchemy bonus didn't work
Changed maximum number of thrones
Could get non water breathing retinue under water.
Crossbredding had good/bad monster switched
Don't show retinue popup for monsters without retinue
Dragons could not shape change on first turn
Ermor etc. did not get their special holy spells
It's no longer possible to start dead because of high age
Modified reanimation numbers
Never start with no sound unless -s is used
Random event fixes
Stat fixes
Throne dark vision effect did not only affect blessed units
Turn off music for network server
Typos fixed

MAC
Sound on caused game to crash

WINDOWS
Updated windows SDL version
edit: err.. it's from 11 hours ago, apparently, so it's not exactly new.

edit2: Had a game going where I could conveniently check the Crossbreeding change using a Freak Lord with the innate (10) boost to casting it:

Before :black101:

After :smith:

edit3: Siege Bonus on Arco's Engineer is back down to (25)

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 3, 2013

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

So I started up a MA game of two teams, with each team consisting of one god and one disciple. Team 1 is Ermor (God) with Arco, and team 2 is Asphodel (God) with Marignon.

Nobody gets to prophetize in Disciple games. The Disciples are effectively the prophets themselves. Notice the lack of "Become Prophet":

Any commander of any nation has the ability "Relinquish Province", making the province change hands to whatever allied nation has a unit also in that province. Allied units can co-habitate in the same province.

You will "see" other Allied units in your province through an accurate scouting report, like when selecting a province held by neutrals/enemy.

You'll get confirmation once you've relinquished, but no notification if someone relinquishes to you.

The Disciples' domain is their God's domain. So you can get Ermor freespawn in non-Ermor nations, like Arcosephale! :hfive:

...but your people are going to die, too. :smith:

And Arco doesn't Dom-scry as a Disciple nation. :smith: :smith:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Speleothing posted:

Somebody posted an image in the PGS thread that has all the nations.

EA Ermor's Flamen and Pontifices are only available without a fort. I'm sure there are plenty more.

THAT'S where they hid the Flamen? I fired up a game and thought maybe they'd just been removed.

That's awesome. They were barely worth recruiting before.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

First time seeing this, and it may be (may be!) super relevant for Mictlan Blood Hunting in Amazon provinces, if nothing else:

While buying PD as Machaka in a Lion Tribe province, I noticed the green "Friendly civilization" note on the PD card.

Assuming this isn't just a Machaka thing, anyways.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I remember hearing about night marchers when I lived in Hawaii, very cool interpretation
Probably too contemporary for your mod's flavor, but it seems like as good an excuse as any to create a new immobile pretender:

I'd prophetize for that.

Also, the Wiki article on Haole is rife with possibilities for interesting auxiliary/foreignrecruit units or summons. :)

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

:woop:Patch Notes:woop:

code:

GAME
Air shield 0 was printed as bless effect
Armies were not draw on right side of widescreens
Asphodel auto spawn tweak
Bouda shapechange 
Cat's eye amultet gave stealth instead of stealth boost
Caves are difficult terrain
Chaos & magic power stats printed
Could sometimes start without dominion
Disable info on other players hides score graphs too
Don't load the same map twice even if it's in both map dirs
Dreamlands start gems 5 -> 4
Drown units after random events
Earth attack no longer works against floating units
Event fixes
Fixed border in maerland map
Friendly dominion reduces unrest
Host crash bug when exploring city fixed
Items slots wrong after arm being chopped off
Lifelong protection gave too many imps
Limited regeneration that doesn't affect lifeless, Normal regen affects all
Message when failing to delete game
Missiles can now strike through shields on high damage
More Agartha specific spells for mid Agartha
Mountain passes are now easily passable
Multiple terrains in same province are now easier to traverse
New descriptions
New maps
New sprites
New thrones and some throne changes
No gold mine for Sauromatia
Nog, The King and the Clown
PD from sites didn't work
Poison resistance spell, res 100 -> 15
Spirit Mask cast fear on wearer
Sprites
Stat and typo fixes
Troglodytes for mid Agartha
MODDING
#animalawe didn't work

OTHER
AI Could design useless immobile pretenders
AI Didn't research and search for sites properly
AI Less evenly distribution of research
Kinda bummed about the Cat's Eye Amulet- I don't know of any other stealth granting items available early on. Stoked to see the BOUDA WERE-HYENA, as that unit is already really damned interesting.

Also.. I take that this to mean that Mountain Survival/Floating/Flying is no longer required to pass through mountains (the orange connectors, similar to blue river connections). Super lame if that's the case as I find it hard to believe anyone's really played a serious game where something like that would come up as a fun-ruiner or whatever. Will have to check this one out.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Bouda's Werehyena form:

Well. It's cool, I guess. Hyena form gets Stealth(40). While there could be some incentive to send this guy behind enemy lines because of Heretic2 & Unrest Increase 2, he takes his high earth/death paths & forge discount with him. Machaka already has spies, though, so he's not really all that much better at doing what they already provide at a cheaper rate and without slow to recruit.

edit: Oh, and Mesmerize is MR Negates, Doesn't Affect Mindless, Range:25, Precision:100, Ammo: 5. Causes Enraged, making the enemy "strike out at anyone, including friends"

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 10, 2013

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

If someone has a gimmick in mind (or just wants to coordinate cold/heat scales or poo poo scales) holler at me, I'll take whatever works.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Capfalcon posted:

Missed both Pantheon games. What a shame.

Ah well. Guess it's time to get rolled by the AI again.

You can have my spot in the LA game if you like!

edit: Use the Private Game Servers thread.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 13, 2013

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

Quick question: is there hotseat mp in Dom4 yet?

Isn't "Hotseat" just playing a MP game with everyone using one computer? You can do this. It was possible in Dom3, too. Start a new game with every nation set to "Human".

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Slaan posted:

Great, Dom4 comes out while I still have a year of crappy, no downloads internet left for me. :argh:

So my favorite Dom3 nations was Marverni and Agartha. You already went over how Agartha has been made even more terrible. But I heard Marverni's druids are now slow recruit and capital only? Did they get any buffs to make up for this? Their troops are decent enough, but certainly can't hold up the nation on their own.

Dom3 Druids are now Elder Druids- stat-wise they are basically the same and are now mm1, Cap-Only and slow to recruit.
Dom4 Marverni's (new, non-elder) Druids are E1 S1 with 1 random EWSN.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Slaan posted:

Well, that's not too bad. Fewer guys being able to immediately cast big rear end battle spells sucks, but having all those extra communion slaves will be nice to have. Guess I finally need to be able to figure out communions.

Also, mm1? Don't know what that stands for.

Also, what does the early Machaka look like? Is it basically lion tribe guys with even better wizards?

mm1 = map move 1, although moving around the map is even harder now for everyone regardless of map move, really.

EA Machaka is a collection of clans.

Lion Tribe guys are your formation fighters, your elephant-commanding Voice of Lion N1 priests, and I guess technically the King and Queen- diverse FEN casters with focus on Nature/Fire paths, respectively.

Hyena clan are your cowardly scummy guys, the best non-slow-to-recruit researchers right off the bat are Hyena, but they also have Heretic and Raise Unrest, so you can't flood your cap with them. They provide reliably strong earth/death magic on a guy with a forge bonus who can also shape-change into a sneaky Hyena.

Spider clan troops have poisoned tipped-weapons on their warriors & archers but are cap only. Also Spider Rider troops. Their slow-to-recruit mage can potentially have very high focused paths but they're really random. Also they have a spy, Voice of Spider, which is still pretty rare in EA and is necessary for infiltrating enemy caps in order to get graph info.

Rhino clan is represented by a single highly durable warrior, but they don't have the formation ability like Lion clan's warriors do. (Line Formations are really cool).
Bird clan is represented by a single troop type: Archers that have exceptional range and precision. Could be really good with a Machakan Queen casting Fire Arrows, I think.

And finally there are high morale Elephants. They have even higher morale if placed under the command of a 80 gold 1N 1H Voice of Lion.

edit: And most Machakan troops and many mages have map move 3 (because Zulus can Run -RUN- 50 miles and fight a battle at the end of it!), which is incredible if you can find 3 plains provinces linked together.

edit2: And their sacred troops are really big warriors who wear little armor and carry the Machakan equivalent of a cattle prod, I guess. Very expensive and cap only.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 15, 2013

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

ZLogic posted:

Get out of my swamp!

:ducksiren::getin: to my Dominions Four :ducksiren:

Poor girl had something like 150+ fatigue by the time she dropped. I assume that's from the whip vines? I pushed my luck by going for a 2nd province there- I definitely would've dipped out if I'd seen that big ugly ahead of time. C'est la vie, Pizza for Breakfast.

It looks like Niefelheim and C'tis are coming to pay their respects, how very devilishly opportunistic thoughtful of them.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Asehujiko posted:

Am I correct in assuming that two temporary gem items on the same mage don't actually provide two temporary gems?

That is correct- at least when I tried it on a Machakan Queen in 3.99whatever.

edit: For clarification, same gem type, both fire.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

This is still a thing?! Go home Dominions, you're drunk.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Asehujiko posted:

How do I convince my priests to actually bless the useful sacreds instead of just themselves? A serpent acolyte with extra hp, strength, regeneration and blood vengeance is nice and all but it doesn't exactly help with keeping the hydras alive.

Hydras aren't sacred anymore? :ssh:

edit: Nevermind. Late age ones are, apparently.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Is MA Ermor (or its new equivalent in Dom 4 since MA Ermor is now LA Ermor) any better? Because I always loved the concept but it was such a one trick pony.

Isn't that the concept, though? Everything dies and the undead horde marches forward?

Flavor-wise, in MA, there's Sceleria which is not-totally-undead-Ermor embracing Death magic. They have a recruitable Sacred undead unit, their Priests can lead & free-summon the undead, and they have a strong STR Astral/Death Mage along with the usual mix of human Ermor infantry.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

And the moment you try to rely on it some poo poo for brains decides the fight is too small for him to burn a gem casting the vital buff you ordered him to cast and everything goes to hell fast.

Wow, yes, this is really annoying! Hopefully Dom5 will include a second check box, "DO AS YOU ARE SCRIPTED, IT'S A TEMPORARY GEM FFS!"

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Lemme take a newbie whack at the Bodhisitivatavitsa of Mercy:

She costs 100 build points and another 70 per additional path, so taking her as an awake SC is going to mean lovely scales/low paths and taking Dom 9 or 10 to increase her innate Awe5 isn't going to be an option.
She has a meager 33 HP, 0 Prot and 12 Def, so it's more likely she'll die in combat before she's able to heal herself up with her healing ability. Innate mirror image through glamour is nice, but if she's clearing out indies eventually enough lucky shots will get through and she doesn't have invulnerability or anything to mitigate those.

Seems like an even-more-fragile Virtue for Eastern nations, although slightly cheaper since she's 50 points less and starts out with Astral.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Given enough arrows, B9N9E4-blessed giants CAN be killed.

RIP 163 dead pygmies =(

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

amuayse posted:

N9 is overrated on giants.

That's a good point. Well said.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Why is W9 Bless so good?

Sacreds are good at doing things.

W9 Sacreds do good things x2.

(and the Defense boost from the minor aspects of the bless is good, too.)

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Speleothing posted:

W9 does things x1.5 - just to be accurate.

Does the quickness spell work the same way?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

amuayse posted:

I never seen the bug get quite this bad.

Quick, research Thaum 8

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

The nation description says EA Abysia doesn't take an income/supply hit for taking Death scales but the tooltip still displays an income loss (while showing zero supply loss, as expected) when sinking the scale on the pretender creation screen. Anybody know if it's the description or the scale's tooltip that is displaying incorrectly?

I haven't played EA Abysia in MP since my first game in Dom3, but I'd probably take the Neteret of Many Names now. For nations that don't need a SC and have access to her, there's never really a reason NOT to take a Dom 3 Research-bonus basically-a-Rainbow Titan. She's pretty great!

Speleothing posted:

For a pretender, you either want an E major bless, or a large number of diversity paths. Having Prod 2+ is a necessity. SC is generally unnecessary, since your troops will have no trouble even against strong indies.

Yeah after playing as EA Machaka and Shinuyama, I'm a bit envious of Abysia's starting army- they can single handedly blaze a trail to the ends of the earth- without reinforcement- if you pick your fights right.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I Love You! posted:

I'm trying to find a list of the assassins in the game - specifically looking for nations with national assassins, and if there are any sacred assassins/summonable assassins with sacred. Anyone know some off the top of your head?

This should be all of them, barring any ModBrowser goofiness

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Wask posted:

As a super new player how can I actually get better to be able to play MP?

In the week I've owned Dom 4 I can now consistently crush the AI with either a strong bless nation, MA Ermor, or the LA ghost guys. That's mostly because the AI is completely dumb and will try to invade provinces my PD can defend, they get totally smashed by blessed giants/jaguar guys/warriors of five elements, or they don't do anything about my dominion bleeding them dry. I still don't really have any high level strategies beyond make sacred units or push dominion.

I know little about what I should actually research or how to use battle mages, useful summons, path boosting, item crafting, or building SCs other than the basics of the concepts from reading some forum posts. I've been playing more T'ien Chi as suggested but by the time magic seems to start to get useful those crazy archers and sacred units have already smashed everything.

Join a MP game, see human players destroy all the gold you sunk into PD/run circles around your one-dimensional blessed troops. Figure out which summons/rituals are useful/useless against which opponents and which summons/rituals are going to be always/never useful.

Then tweak your strategy and sign up for another MP game. And so on and so on..

Most of the tactical stuff you can read about from Dom3 applies to Dom4, so it never hurts to look around these forums and others for ideas. Pick a nation and figure out what their strengths are, pick out a few research goals that play to those strengths (even if you find yourself in a year 1 war, researching level 4 of any school is usually possible before you're knocked out).

Also joining IRC is great for getting immediate feedback on ideas and questions.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

tooterfish posted:

I would think BoT rendered any pacts moot, since it's basically a direct attack anyway.

Ponymans gives no fucks. (They don't qualify as "old" until their 1000th birthday)

Also they're the largest nation in this game.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Penguingo posted:

Search by property "gemgen". Sea King is the only non-unique, I think.

http://dom4editor.googlecode.com/sv...&unitkey=gemgen

Oops, but yeah I think that's the only way.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Neruz posted:

The free point in heat is no longer worth any design points as of Dom4; factions gain points for moving away from their preferred temperature instead of from neutral temperature.

Going from Heat 2 (their preference) to Heat 3 is basically free. The drawbacks are negligible, I think.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Neruz posted:

The drawbacks are exactly the same as going from neutral to heat 1: -5% income, -10% supplies, +2 encumberance for units. The seasonal temperature variations will mess about with it and it's not huge, but it's by no means 'free' anymore. In Dom3 heat\cold preference was literally free points.

Temp scale only goes up to 3, the drawbacks are negligible if you're already comfortable at 2.

Neutral scale nation with Heat 1 is at Heat 1 for Early Spring, Spring, Late Spring
Heat 2 Nation with Heat 3 is at Heat 3 for Early Spring, Spring, Late Spring
Advantage: Push

Neutral Scale Nation with Heat 1 is at Heat 2 for Early Summer, Summer, Late Summer
Heat 2 Nation with Heat 3 is at Heat 3 for Early Summer, Summer, Late Summer
Advantage: Heat 2 Nation with Heat 3

Neutral scale nation with Heat 1 is at Heat 1 for Early Fall, Fall, Late Fall
Heat 2 Nation with Heat 3 is at Heat 3 for Early Fall, Fall, Late Fall

Neutral scale nation with Heat 1 is at Neutral Scale for Early Winter
Heat 2 Nation with Heat 3 is at Heat 2 for Early Winter

Neutral scale nation with Heat 1 is at Cold 1 Scale for Winter
Heat 2 Nation with Heat 3 is at Heat 1 Winter

Neutral scale nation with Heat 1 is at Neutral Scale for Late Winter
Heat 2 Nation with Heat 3 is at Heat 2 for Late Winter

The Heat 2 nation that takes Heat 3 will not find itself 2 scales away from it's preference, unlike the neutral scale nation that takes 1 temp scale away from neutral.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

MF_James posted:

Flaming Arrows

I haven't done it myself yet, but EA Abysia has F3 casters everywhere (and slow-to-recruit F4 that are cap-only) and as they usually take high resource scales, cobbling together armies of independent Archers shouldn't be too hard. This is especially nice because Abysian troops have fire resist and are quite good- meaning they can tie up the enemy while you fire into the melee.

EA Machaka has slow-to-recruit F3 casters that are capital only, and a Bouda equipped with a Dwarven Hammer can make Fire Jars for the low low cost of 3 fire gems. Their pygmy archers are particularly nice because they are the cheapest in the game. At 5 gold and 1 resource, you can mass them in a hurry.
EA Machaka's native front line troops will get chewed up by friendly fire, but if you have Fire Gems to spare Terracotta soldiers are summonable at Ench4 (same as Flaming Arrows) and are very durable fire-resistant infantry.

Your strategy that you wanted to use would work well with EA Machaka because they can lean on Elephants until flaming arrows is researched.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Neruz posted:

For flaming arrows you want MA Marignon imo; they have easy access to recruit anywhere F2 casters and have an str cap only caster that can potentially get up to F5. Their crossbowmen are fairly cheap at 10g\8r and are of course awesome because crossbows (seriously crossbows are the best) and it's usually not too difficult to find some cheaper indie archers to round out the crossbowmen if resources become an issue.

Call it a philosophical difference, but 2x 5 Gold 1 Res ShortBow Archers firing a flaming arrow each every round vs 1x 10 Gold 8 Res Crossbowmen firing a flaming bolt every other round sounds like a better deal for the nation bringing the little guys. And that's before considering the benefits of being able to completely sink production scales while still being able to mass them faster than crossbows.

TheDemon posted:

I feel like I post this every page, but for Flaming Arrows you only need a F2 mage. You then cast Phoenix Power to make the mage F3 and then use an extra gem when casting Flaming Arrows (total 2 gems in the unmodded game).

There are starving magma children in Abysia that don't have enough fire gems, please don't waste yours on frivolous Flaming Arrow adventures with non-optimal nations.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Snollygoster posted:

The last time I played dinomod it had sacred, trampling, 18-move T-rexes with Devour skateboarding across almost everything in their path. I'm sure that got adjusted but it didn't leave me with a great impression. :\

Yeah that changed well before Dom3 games stopped being played with Dinomod aka EA Machaka.

Penguingo posted:

So, uh, dinosaurs. 90 gold recruitable fear-8, compared to 200 gold slow-to-recruit fear-5 Sirrush from Ur.

It's probably fair to compare Tyrant Kings to Elephants instead of Sirrush. Their major drawbacks are that they are Cap-Only and don't have trample or an AoE attack. They suffer from similar durability issues as elephants (Prot 11, Def 11, MR 8), but for only 10 gold less (and 14 fewer resource), they have far superior Morale (improved further by availability of a commander with Beastmastery), a fear effect, are sacred, and can be mixed into the relatively low-morale flame units to impart a morale bonus from their standard effect.

So while they're fantastic for early expansion, I'm guessing they become too expensive to field in numbers once you make contact with human players and/or are difficult to field in numbers near the fontlines due to being Cap-Only.

I think the hungry flames are much scarier due to them being available-everywhere and dirt cheap, but I'm guessing the lack of H3 Priests (and H2 Priests being expensive and cap only and slow to recruit) makes it very difficult to keep these guys rolling.

Also, everything is gluttonous- those 2 Nature gems/turn are going to be turned into a lot 15 gem cauldrons early on, depending on the map/terrain.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 18, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

TheresNoThyme posted:

If a cross-path spell has + scaling, how are the bonus levels determined? For instance, magma eruption is 3E1F and the aoe has a + indicator. Will a caster with 4E2F get +2 bonus to aoe, or just +1?

I believe it will always be based on the primary path, so just the bonus for having 1 level of Fire beyond the requirement.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Yeah, thought so. I'm not such a newbie that I didn't know about the scales, though. Just was wondering, once the game was begun, if there was any way of boosting it.

Seems kind of odd, given how fertility rituals and talismans and magic are such big things in most cultures and in traditional religious and mythological ceremonies.

You could justify this by imagining that growth scales improve the health of your people, thus increasing your population of adults, while any sort of jump in birthrate would take 15ish years to really have an effect on your adult population, at which point the game is (hopefully) done with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

amuayse posted:

The one thing that worries me about buying mammoths/elephants is that I sometimes get the feeling I'm throwing all my gold into a bottomless hole.

Well sure they're not a real long-term investment but you can put that bottomless hole in any one of the 15 provinces they effortlessly bulldoze through.

• Locked thread