Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
The annoying thing is that Windows Server Backup will not delete old backups unless you remove the disk from the rotation completely and format it. Instead, it shrinks the snapshot down incrementally until it can't be shrunk down anymore. Such a piece of poo poo - I'd never thought I'd be happy to have Backup Exec installed for one of our clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Stealthgerbil posted:

Every time the internet cuts out or gets slow, apparently its the servers fault! Its like they don't understand that our LAN and the internet have nothing to do with each other :(

Look, just go down the road to the store and buy another quart of internet will you?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Helushune posted:

Now I'm trying to figure out how to go back to "inconvenience" from "catastrophic failure". Does anyone know how to possibly restore deleted shadow copies?

I guess you could try something like Recuva - I can't imagine the file would be intact though.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

You're not going to do it, right?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

One of the hotels we support uses PMS software from a tiny company in New Zealand. We're in the UK.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Especially if you use web browsers that default to starting from the top of the page when you reach the bottom.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Something that's been pissing me off for the past few days; someone keeps emailing myself directly saying "....I still can't print..... Is this fixed yet....." - I've emailed her asking for details about: Which site she's at (Field-based, could be from home, could be 200 miles away), is she using a terminal server, even what printer she's trying to use. No response, apart from "Still not fixed.... When will this be fixed???" - Repeated 2 or 3 times.

So I just sent an email to her, my boss and her boss, which included the trail. Explained that I can't help until I get details, so hopefully that's the end of that - But still :catstare:

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 10, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

I was in the same boat as you until I switched jobs/got my poo poo together, I believe I posted a thread in E/N about it. The people there gave me some really great tips which might help you as well. First and foremost is there a ticketing system in place? If so why aren't admin using the ticketing system properly?

If there are SLAs in place, and the ticket shows the SLA as being either 'good' or 'bad', use that to your advantage. Explain to the admin who's trying to pass a call off to you that you're dealing with another, more serious issue and you can't take the call. One thing to remember is that *it is not your fault* if someone has been on hold for 5 seconds longer than they expected. They will have to deal with it. A good helpdesk/sysadmin (Or anyone, I guess) can prioritise as needed and explain to people why their issue is not high priority.

It'll be tricky to be assertive at first but eventually the admin team will get the message. Document any time someone tries to pass a ticket onto you (And not someone with a lesser workload) so if you have to take it up with either the management of the admin team or your own management, you can back it up with solid evidence.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

A friend of mine just bluntly states he doesn't like the cause.

"I don't like ducks. :) " It seems to work quite well! Most people don't know what to say to that.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

McAfee. Why doesn't it come with a remote removal tool, is there something I'm missing? It sucks to have to RDP onto each PC to get rid of the drat thing.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

I should have expected that :v:

Oh well. The thing that's especially frustrating is that I can connect to each computer's OAS console from the server, but only have the option to perform scans etc. It seems trivial to add the option in there.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Lum posted:

Logmein woes

For future reference the default expiry time for sessions is 5 minutes I believe, but it doesn't show that on the console. At some point the session just disappears from the console. It's a major PITA.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm the only I.T. person so I have to always answer that phone. I've worked every weekend since we moved to our new HQ because it's the only way to keep from getting hopelessly buried. In the last three years since I started we've gone from about 50 people to over 100, at over a dozen sites in three cites and two states, and that growth pace isn't slowing down.

My boss and the HR VP asked me about getting some help but all they want is to get a temp from one of their crap agencies. I've explained that the amount of time I'd need to spend training and managing that temp will far outpace whatever they can do for my workload but I don't think they're listening. Nothing new there.

So I came in yesterday (Saturday) to prep two new PCs before the rest of the dozen I ordered show up. Instead I spent the whole time working on the Controller's laptop because (to keep things short) she is an idiot. Now it's Sunday and I'm here to do what I couldn't get done yesterday.

You're working at least 6 days a week and they didn't agree to giving you the title of IT Director? Man.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone have any tips for getting off Microsoft's email blacklist?
code:
RCPT TO generated following response:
550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [64.186.45.37] blocked using Blocklist 1;
 To request removal from this list please forward this message
 to [email]delist@messaging.microsoft.com[/email]
They sent us a message back saying they were unable to immediately mitigate the issue. We have good SPF records and a reverse lookup PTR for our mail server, we just switched ISP's so we have a new IP. Our old one was clean and we never had any issues...

Going on 24 hours and they're not responding to anything I send them. I followed pretty much everything on http://mail.live.com/mail/policies.aspx and joined JMRP and SNDS.

Microsoft are a complete PITA if you're on their blacklist.

A few days ago I was dealing with a company that was blacklisted with 4 big companies: Microsoft; AOL; BT; VirginMedia.

The first 3 all removed us off their blacklists no problem, as we could prove the new IP we were using was listed as bad due to a previous company; Microsoft would just flat out refuse to remove the block.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Seeing as we're speaking about MS Access, does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid Access corruption due to loss of network connectivity? A user keeps getting the "You have lost connection to Microsoft Access" error message and the DB usually corrupts. We've disabled Sophos' On-active scanning, and there's no GPO that might be causing it. His wifi card has the most recent drivers. He's not experiencing loss of connectivity for basic internet access, Outlook exch connection etc.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

guppy posted:

I once got yelled at because I told a lawyer that no, he couldn't "trade in" his printer.

Out of all the possible users, I think that lawyers are actually the worst. Worse than doctors, C-levels etc. - Even the most basic, just-passed-the-bar lawyer is extremely demanding and expects everything to be done instantly with the minimal possible level of access to his computer. Drives me insane.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

dogstile posted:

Yeah, expecting someone to throw out that command is a bit of a dick move to be honest. In fact, I run a few scripts for my job and its expected that I write a few of my own. When asked in the interview if I could run scripts I just mentioned that i'm pretty rusty but I could relearn if they needed me to as I'd had some experience before. That seemed good enough to them.

Edit:

In poo poo that's pissing me off territory, how the gently caress am I supposed to know what issue is urgent if every ticket in my loving name is "urgent". I've gone from being able to tell at a glance what needs doing next via icons to having to read each description of each problem because all of them have the "this is affecting production!" marker on it.

The way I handle it currently, is to send them an email explaining why I've listed it as Priority 2 instead of 1, etc.

"Due to the high number of tickets raised, and the scope and severity of the issue, I have raised this as a Priority 2 fault. This has an X hour SLA and I will assist you as soon as I am able."

If you think you can't do that without making people angry, speak to your mananger first. Say "Ok boss, I've got Ticket XXXX and Ticket YYYY, both are marked as urgent. Which one do you want me to prioritise." - That way it's up to the boss to make the call.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

dogstile posted:

That beard thing that's stopping me from going on site visits that I was happy with? Turns out i'm not now.

There was only one visit that I had left before I wasn't booked for any for the foreseeable future and i've been taken off it. It was booked in a really nice hotel by the beach and it had loads of the young techies on it, meaning we could actually go out and have a couple drinks after the job was done rather than just going to the hotel (previously it was either that or drink alone and I only do that when gaming now).

There goes today's motivation.

Why should you lose motivation based on a choice you made?

AlternateAccount posted:

Things that are about to irrationally be pissing me off: First days. I hate first days. Yes, let's spend an entire shift being the center of attention wayyyyy too much. It's the worst. :[

Totally - When I first started at my current job, on the first day my manager and the HR woman were both on annual leave. So it was me listening to an HR administrator go over all the terrible systems we never use for 3 hours - Me nodding my head saying 'Yeah, ok, cool! awesome' and so on - And then sitting at my desk for the next 5 hours worrying if there was anything I should be doing :(

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

when I was in primary school we played fizzbuzz, it was a fun game

Am I a programmer

Edit: MessageLabs is such a piece of poo poo. Why we're migrating to it I don't know.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Unfortunately my manager is at the hospital with a sick friend, so half of the people are trying to 'help' because she is away, and the other half are CC'ing her and making her get involved when she should be with her friend. And the people above manager that are involved are in my direct chain of command. In the past year they have added multiple layers of management whose only job is to look at reports and ask you why your tickets are not updated and why tickets are sitting unassigned.

The problem is they all have a point. I am not meeting the metrics. I have old cases that have been open too long. I have new cases I need to pick up and focus on due to escalations, and I have things I haven't statused in the past 2 days because I have been dealing with stuff on fire. At this point, I have 20 tickets, and spending any time working on one gets me in trouble with the other 19. I am not able to say that the metrics are wrong, because they hired a bunch of people and spend money developing the processes and metrics, and folks get very defensive regarding the way things are.

Can you make a case that you're working 100%, that you're not slacking - That you're overworked? Better yet, do you track your time spent in the ticketing system?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

I for one welcome our new seal-based overlords.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

dogstile posted:

I went in, bitched about it and I get to go home a whole 2 and a half hours early!

If I had the energy to punch something, I would. At least me being this tired made me realise pressing ctrl + B/I on these forums works much the same as it does on word due to me missing the shift key. Little victorys!

The EU Working Time Directive states that there must be a minimum of 11 hours between work shifts.

If you've opted out of that, god help you.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Crowley posted:

Amazing offer

"Crowley, the ADSL line is down again. Please do the needful, this is affecting production!!!!"

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

The ITlluminati!

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I am the only one in my group who was hired with a programming background (to also do work of that kind, along the same tasks as theirs) and scripting to make their lives easier is only appreciated for about 5 minutes. Obviously any work done on your workstation isnt work in their minds, Im obviously just goofing around. I have no idea how to change this tho.

"Hello,

Recently it has come to my attention that yourself and your team are monitoring my work-flow. I'm sorry if I am not satisfying your expectations at the moment, but I will take any steps necessary to resolve this, and clear up any misunderstandings if they exist. Can I meet with you on X to discuss what you think is required from me?"

Or whatever. Get the ball rolling, on paper, to prove that you want to improve. It doens't matter on whether their claims against you or true or not, sending your boss an email will show you're trying to do *something*.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Would you agree that I should not CC HR on this yet?

:shrug: I can't comment due to not knowing the ins and outs of your office. Are HR evil? Is your boss an over-reactionary dick? It's up to you.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

guppy posted:

That's the thing. One of the three jobs I'm currently doing is my boss', because he retired. So depending on how you look at it, my boss is either me or the CIO, and I would feel ridiculous calling the CIO to tell him that I'm having a slapfight. I am not able to punch at the weight class of the guy I'm having a conflict with on my own, though.

My boss' retirement is part of the reason my workload is what it is, but I'm hoping that by stepping up I can prove myself to the CIO and maybe move into that role "for real" or otherwise advance. If not, I need to leave the organization for reasons of career growth. Not only is this sort of thing too small potatoes to bring to a member of executive leadership, but I don't want to give him the impression I can't handle my business.

I've already had the staffing conversation with him, and for budgetary reasons I'm not getting any more staff right now. His suggestion was to bring in help from another team (the specifics on the organizational setup are a little too revealing to post publicly), but for political reasons I also don't want to give any ground that might get my more specialized team absorbed into a larger team.

The workload is nuts but should improve over the next few weeks; the bigger issue is redundancy, in that if anyone is out for any reason (vacation, sick) a primary site is going to go uncovered. And them's the breaks, I can staff the higher priority sites and leave the other ones hanging until everyone is back.

Edit: I do absolutely have the metrics to back this up, and he knows it.

Edit 2: And, frankly, it's busy and stressful but I can handle this level of workload as long as I'm allowed to triage as I feel is appropriate. And the CIO isn't giving me poo poo about it or anything. The only reason this is a problem is that someone who doesn't understand the situation is attempting to jump the queue.

Use SET as a way to cover your rear end.

Support: I understand that you need X being done by Y, and I want to help.

Empathy: I appreciate it's frustrating to not be able to do Z

Truth: However due to [insert high priority ticket here] I'm not able to complete your request. However it's in our ticketing system and will be dealt with in accordance with the priority of other tickets in the queue.

(You DO have a ticketing system, right?)

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Whoooooaaaaa

I'm depressed both because your company does that, and because there's really nothing anyone can do about it. 'Merica.

Not if you're in the UK like Dogstile and I are!

:krad:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Wibla posted:

poo poo pissing me off today: Bad SATA cables.

Some SATA cables that work fine on 3gbps motherboards will cause corruption and all sorts of funny behaviour when you try them on a mobo with 6gbps support. Turns out it's been bent and twisted a bit too much, and may be old enough to not support 6gbps in the first place :argh:

Just chuck the broken cables into a coworker's PC and see how long it takes him to find out :smugdog:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

More poo poo that pisses you off: My boss said I don't use Internet Explorer enough

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Also, can you still install retail Windows with an OEM sticker key? I remember having issues with Vista and that, but then again, Vista...

If I recall correctly you can - but you might need to call Microsoft's support line for activations and explain you're rebuilding the PC. As long as you can confirm the key's only being used on one machine you should be good.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

If it's not in the employee handbook and it's not in your contract, don't do it.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'd double-check with your boss to make sure you have the necessary power to discipline and/or fire non- or under-performers (and if I didn't have it I'd drop the position post-haste) before having a "Come-To-Jesus" meeting with all members of your team. Bring with you a write-up form filled out and signed so that when the first jackass smarts off or acts up you can hand him/her the form and tell them to come see you after the meeting for their disciplinary sit-down, and then ask if there was anyone else who would like to express their disdain for their new manager. Then thank them for their attention and let them know that if they have any concerns you will be happy to speak with them about it and that you hope everyone has a wonderful day.

The sad thing is that's the exact same way I used to deal with high school students back when I taught. Just because I was fresh meat didn't mean I was going to let them chew me up.

Holy poo poo that's a terrible idea. IMO all that would do is breed resentment and accelerate the team's decay.

Students have to put up with this. Employees don't. They'll fall in line, sure - But if any one of them has an inkling of sense they'll be doing the bare minimum while they look for new jobs.

Praise in public, reprimand in private.

In conclusion

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 22, 2014

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

this is weird guys

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

A complicated system of external mirrors, and magnifying glasses.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Going to a client site tomorrow for the first time, dressed to the loving nines

How do you do, HR ladies. Let's hang out by the water cooler and discuss [not computers] sometime

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

They're sadists too. One of my colleagues was told "Get these exams[MCSE I think] done or the company loses its partner status". He did so, only to find out the next week that the exam was being retired and updated in 3 months. He was told to re-certify.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

For companies with people in them

Is your Sprint rep Dr. Fishman?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

mewse posted:

Sysadmin bravely navigating an outage:

Haha, best thing about that .gif is that he ejects into what would be Day 6 or something - It just got too much. "This is just unsalvageable. gently caress it, bye!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Did you call him out on it?