Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Humphreys posted:

I'll find some of the payslips.

The point is that you should be getting the higher rate only on what you earn over the threshold. Earning more money over that threshold should not make you worse off, only less better off than you might have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lum posted:

I do remember having internal modem on COM3 and mouse on COM1 used to cause issues. I just set it to IRQ2/9 (and yes I can remember why 2&9 are the same thing!), with the SoundBlaster on IRQ7. IRQ10 was for the third IDE controller I happened to have, since in those days having a CD burner sharing with any other device would screw things up.

I think the Gravis UltraSound may have defaulted to 10, but I was never rich enough to own one of those, and back in those days you either owned a SoundBlaster compatible card, or you didn't get sound in half of your games.

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5

Only for 99% of games to ignore that and demand manual configuration.

Didn't you also need "T4" or something in there? I'm sure mine used to have it in.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lum posted:

Yes, you do. I wrote that post from memory rather than Googling.

By which I mean memory in my brain.

Conventional memory, if you will.

Apparently mine's been kept in UMB.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

We had someone reply all to an email to an entire department (around 3000 people) with "please remove me from this list", which was in turn greeted by many, many people reply all telling him not to reply all, and it looked like it would all stop when the head of said department sent a reply telling everyone to knock it off.

Then some guy sent an Anchorman "that escalated quickly" meme. And immediately tried to recall it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

toe shoes posted:

A holiday?

It's not a holiday if you can't choose when you take it and they don't pay you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Instead of being evasive, why not just use the number that you'd like to make at the job you're applying for :confused:

It's not being evasive, it's making them start the negotiation off. As soon as you name a figure ( let's say your desired salary) they can lowball you. What happens if they were prepared to offer 200k and you say 100k? They're not going to offer you the higher figure if they don't have to.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Smoke posted:

You do what happens in my company and the customer we work for and just enter something that appears to be OK. We've got coworkers with different names in different systems as a result(Scheduling, QM, AD and remote AD)

Of course, once you ask about this it never gets resolved and people just deal with having multiple slightly differently-spelled last names.

You'd kind of expect names to just be copy-pasted out of an e-mail rather than being transcribed by whoever's making the account.

Even happened to me at a previous employer, my name was entered properly everywhere except for my e-mailaddress. When I mentioned this on my very first day I was said it'd be fixed soon. When I left 9 months later it still hadn't been fixed.

Also fun: A coworker's AD account was deleted when someone else with the same last name left the company. Somehow IT at this place has never heard of "disable, don't delete".

I had something similar once - my name was spelled correctly everywhere, but then one senior manager started spelling my surname with an I as the final vowel instead of an A. Then other people started doing it. Then the operations team started amending official records because they thought if everyone was spelling it that way the records must have been wrong. The first I knew of that last part was getting my first payslip with the wrong name on it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

If you DO buy a boat, call it "gently caress Printers".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Our place introduced a requirement for emails to have one of four confidentiality levels assigned to them so those receiving them knew whether or not they were ok to forward on to external parties, whether or not they could discuss them with underlings, and so on and so forth. Naturally this meant that everyone put something into their auto signature declaring that everything they sent was the highest level so they didn't have to take any responsibility for anything they put in an email.

Except our department where the guy in charge said that having it in the signature defeated the point of the policy in the first place, issued a directive that no one was to put it in their autosignature and told us all to bloody think about what we're putting into any given email and classify it if appropriate.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

tomapot posted:

How hard is it to put you mic on mute when you are on a Lync conference call / demo. Dude presenting has more patience than me.

I was on one today where someone was loading their dishwasher in the background. Thankfully the person chairing it straight up called them out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

dogstile posted:

If anything, I could understand him going towards that, but i'm sat next to a guy with a way bushier beard than me that he's grown out while working here. He's not had anything said to him.

Trust me, i'm trying to get the hell out. This place has phases of treating you nicely then insults and beats you down over the tiniest things. I only stay here because my co-workers are pretty cool.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I used it all in my responses and he's backed down. Only thing I didn't have to do was quote my contract, which i'm happy for. I don't want to give this bellend the impression that he can walk over me like he does to others. I'm out of this place for a couple weeks and going on holiday after today for a couple of weeks, so hopefully by the time I get back he'll cool it on that front.

Was it you that had the boss that had a problem with people smoking? Like, on their own time, nothing to do with work smoking?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sickening posted:

Have you ever known a smoker that doesn't smoke while at work? The perfect world scenario of smokers keeping to their approved smoking area, not making a mess, and then not smelling like smoke afterwards is pretty slim to none.

Still doesn't excuse being a dick though.

Oh yeah, I'm not claiming that smokers never ever smoke on work time, just I remember someone with a boss who was prone to sacking people if he found out they smoked, regardless of whether or not it impinged on work time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

topenga posted:

When I was at IBM we were "strongly encouraged" to use our in house social networking bullshit called Connections. This was to make you more "visible" or some such nonsense.

We got connections at my last job. One of our vendors called it "Pound Land Sharepoint" when he was in giving us training. Good work, IBM, you made the generic brand equivalent of something no one really likes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

What's the consensus on waistcoats?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Every major ISP here in :britain: is now on 802.11ac for their bundled routers, and some of the biggest have been handing out dual-band gear for a couple of years now. 5GHz is getting more congested every day.

Huh, I signed up with Sky about 18 months ago and got their "hub" which is this thing: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/network-wifi/3420596/sky-hub-sr101-broadband-router-review/

Which I think they're still doling out. It's pretty garbage and only does 2.4ghz.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

What the hell even is a Six Sigma desk review?

A way for people to pretend they understand Six Sigma?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sirotan posted:

My company pushed out this survey to every employee. I've been nagged to complete it as tomorrow is the last day and I'm off to go and drink a shitload of beers at a Bell's.

Sign in to the page. Says it's confidential, then proceeds to ask me my age, gender, and business unit. Gee, a 30-34yo woman in IT, I wonder who that could be?? Then I'm asked to rate things on an agreement scale, like:

This organization treats employees with respect.
Senior management's actions support this organization's mission and values.
I am proud to tell people I work for this organization.
I would stay with this organization if offered a similar job elsewhere.
I would like to be working at this organization three years from now.

:lol:

Decided to be a rebel and answered 'disagree' to that first one. Too much of a chicken to do more than neutral on the rest though.

Good news! The neutral answers generally convey more dissatisfaction than the positive or negative ones. When I had to do them at my last job we were repeatedly drilled that "don't know means don't care" and that picking neutral options indicated that you were utterly disengaged and disinterested. And companies HATE that, especially when their results are being benchmarked against other companies in the field.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

Spent a lot of the weekend doing tech support for my mum, migrating her from a prescott-era Celeron D system with 512MB of RAM that overheats so badly it's throttling the majority of the time it's running (:suicide:). I've set her up with my old gaming PC from 8 years ago that still runs Office etc. perfectly well and an external HDD so all her work is finally backed up. I'm gonna get her a crashplan/backblaze sub for her birthday too. :unsmith:

Worst moment, 9pm on a Saturday night, listening to the pathetic processor fan spin at 100% while the cursed thing grinds away and fails for the umpteenth time to run Sysprep so I can just slam the hard drive into the new PC and not re-install a multitude of programs. If anybody else ever has sysprep mysteriously fall over on Windows 7 and all the registry bullshit google pulls up fails, kill the Windows Media Player loving Network loving Sharing Service and run it.

I don't work in IT, but I know why it makes you drink.

I did some family tech support this boxing day. My nephew was playing PC game with my eldest kid and the PC kept resetting itself. I asked if this was a regular thing and got some vague shrugs.

Went and checked and the thing was running at like 5 degrees below Tj max just sat at the desktop. Opened it up and it was entirely full of dust - filling up the fans, wedged in between the fins on the CPU heatsink, basically anywhere it could be that could stop heat from escaping. Their last PC died of pretty much the same problem.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Exit Strategy posted:

I'm sitting at work and not allowed to be high on vicodin despite my shattered left foot, which is significantly painful.

I have therefore decided to make my operations manager's life hell simply because I am not allowed to be grumpy at customers.

Exit Strategy posted:

My favorite thing about my terminal heart condition is getting to call into work and go "Man, I've got some serious chest pain today. I'ma take some vicodin and go back to bed, mark me out as sick."

So it's me. I'm the poo poo pissing off the junior tech today.

Is there a difference in policy between calling out sick for your heart condition and calling out sick because your foot is broken? Because it seems like if you need the vicodin and rest that you should take them and do that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Maybe it was some dumb stress test to see how you reacted.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I saved them from lugging a 32" CRT out of the attic.

Update: Some of the movies are betamax. omg

Is any of this stuff by Video Arts? Because John Cleese produced management training videos are actually not too bad to sit through.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Absolutely. And good on you.

I recently rejected a zero warning two week trip to the middle of nowhere for a project I've had almost nothing to do with. When pressed for a reason why not, I admitted that my wife and I are working through something. Which is true, I mean, we are - we're drat near done working through season 2 of Cheers. Who could leave for 2 weeks at a time like this?

This is pretty great. It's still nuts that just saying "No, because you've given me no notice" isn't a good enough answer though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wibla posted:

If it's stupid and it works... It ain't stupid?

Just because something works doesn't mean it isn't stupid. It's like printing an email, annotating it and then faxing the annotated reply back - yes, it works, it's still dumb.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

nitrogen posted:

So we have this self-serve nutromat kind of place for snacks in the hallway. Have had it for quite a while.

We've been hiring lots of contractors to take the place of people we've been laying off (no really) so we have a lot of new faces. Apparently somewhere between 65%-80% of these contractors are stealing from the nutromat without paying.

Multiple choice question: How do you think management would handle an issue like this?

1) Speak to the individuals caught on camera stealing. Perhaps involve law enforcement for the really egregious violators

2) Fire the violators immediately

3) close the nutromat, breaking a contract with the vendor that runs it and having to pay some kind of early term fee

I would have assumed:

4) Despite knowing who the offenders are, send a blanket email to everyone saying how disappointed you are that everyone is a dirty thief and therefore you will have to do 3), thereby pissing off the people who didn't do any stealing in two different ways.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

I'm the only person I know who uses the low priority flag. :negative:

I used it for a while. People seemed to reply faster when I did, because it was unusual.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Gyshall posted:

:agreed:

I feel like they should teach email and conference call etiquette during grade school

I used to work with a guy who always worked at home, and on every single conference call you were guaranteed his home phone ringing for two minutes straight, his dog barking repeatedly or him sounding heavily out of breath because he was on the call while walking his kids to or from school.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

How on earth did that director think that was going to play out.

"Surprise! You don't really have the job and that other guy thinks he has it too! Now fight for my amusement."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I like the part where he says that people in his line of work are generally overpaid.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

This is an actual document that we send out every month. This is an actual thing that 72 year old owner of the company spends his time monitoring. This is an actual thing he flips the gently caress out over. This is an actual thing I get pulled into meetings to talk about.

<PAGES OF HORROR>

:stare:

That... that is certainly a policy he has there.

vvvvv Good point, edited out of mine.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 15, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

poo poo that makes me go "wait, what the gently caress?": Pidgin. Pidgin uses enough CPU time just sitting there doing nothing but accepting incoming jabber messages to raise my idle temps by ten whole freaking degrees.

I don't like my idle temps being 53 C, even if it is 28 C outside and I'm in a third floor bedroom. What the gently caress, Pidgin?

If you clear the scroll back of all your open chats then the CPU usage drops down. I don't know what CPU actions it's performing on messages that got sent two days ago but clearing the backlog is the way to get pidgin to calm the gently caress down.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

nitrogen posted:

Robert Half. Bunch of crooks. Avoid them.

Coworker is looking for a new job. Apparently he applied for something with Robert Half.

I get a call from one of their folks.
:cry: "Hey, do you have $COWORKER that works for you?"
:eng101: "Uh, these kinds of calls really need to go to HR, here's the number..."
:cry: "Oh, no. I just wanted to let you know that according to him, he's making $SALARY. I also wanted to let you know that I have engineers available that will do his job for ($SALARY*.60) if you're interested.
:eng101: "gently caress you, I hope you get raped by a balrog. If you ever call here again, I'll go looking for one."
:cry: *sputters line clicks*

tl;dr: Robert Half will use job listings and salary info they receive to call your current place of employment to try and replace you cheaper.

That's appalling. Though what's worse is that presumably it must work sometimes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Migishu posted:

The only important thing you should add to your signature is BSc SSc

And set a reminder in your calendar to seal that drive plate.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Super Slash posted:

SIckness is damned awful when you have a cramped open office with everyone clustered together. Nobody stays home so it spreads like wildfire, and then you get a wonderful crescendo of coughing and hacking which is annoying and loving disgusting.

During the swine flu outbreak in the UK I was setting up a call centre. We had people paired up to train and there were something like 4 workstations on each side of a desk each with a desk about 1.5m long.

One person called out with swine flu symptoms and the policy was to send anyone that sat within 2m of them home. I had to send home about ten people.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

My web history at work is full of all kinds of crap, but everything I'm expected to deliver gets delivered when it's supposed to be and the feedback I get from everyone as part of the performance review process is solid. It turns out that the majority of the time if you treat people like grown ups you get great results! That guy who's job is to monitor how much Facebook people use had the shittest job ever.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

Assholes get better customer service than nice people.

They only appear to get better customer service. The polite customer may end up waiting five minutes longer than the fuckstick who yells at the waiter, but they're way less likely to get jizz instead of salad dressing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Logs take up too much room. :pseudo:

They're also entrapment.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

To DT, maybe a car analogy will work. "Look, you're saying that your BMW's engine light is on and it's having trouble starting in the morning. You need to bring the thing in, have a proper mechanic look at it, and spend a few minutes listening when they tell you to stop doing <thing> that was causing the engine issue. Maybe you were half-dropping the transmission or whatever. While it's in the shop for a day, have a loaner: it's a nice BMW from last year."

Then give him a new laptop pre-configured. Just an idea: I'm obviously not in your shoes.

I will say that IT is strange. If someone who doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing tries to help, they're a hero, but if someone from IT shows up they're treated like the help. I'd love to call some Director of Finance some day and be like, "Hey, I noticed Janice from accounting was out this week, but don't worry: I closed out the fiscal month for her."

Yeah but Janice don't give a gently caress.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

No tell him you're board certified. When pressed on which board just repeat "board. Certified."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Seriously.

This probably isn't the thread to ask, but does anyone have an experience with an HR hero? A single encounter where you walked away from an HR event going, "That HR person loving nailed it."

I've had a few occasions when I've been managing people and needed help from hr and they've steered me in exactly the right direction and either made sure that I got the staff member what they needed or backed me up when I needed to start disciplinary poo poo.

The one who showed up late for a conference call she organised to tell a bunch of us details of our upcoming redundancy, repeatedly referred to the mass culling of hundreds of employees as "this piece of change" and generally acted annoyed at having to have the conversation at all can go gently caress off though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Call center manager has now told us she "does not feel comfortable" making another test 911 call, and instead wants someone from IT to drive over to make the call.

:fuckoff:

In other stupid user news, I got to send a "please do your job" email to someone CCing their boss and a director a few days ago. She just now replied with a "no u", CCing MY boss, her boss and the director. And now the above mentioned individuals have scheduled a meeting to discuss her job and why she needs to be doing it. Well played, idiot.

Call centre manager uncomfortable using phone. Brilliant.