Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Swink posted:

Back when Australia hosted the olympics in 2000, they extended DST for a month or so. Gave us months of warning. Microsoft released a patch specifically to adjust the times on Windows. It didnt work. Nothing worked. Our clocks were hosed for a week, even Bank ATMs shat themselves.

You cant just decide to change the clock on a whim! Time is sorta important!

Edit - Maybe it was 2006 Commonwealth games? Either way, it hosed me.

They did it for both. We had a heap of windows phone devices in service when I started at a new place in 2008, I was still cleaning up that loving mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

dogstile posted:

I've had so much free time that i've read this entire thread in about a week.

There is no free time, only documentation and study time.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Lol nope. I let Be2012 verify it after it's all put to tape. Our tape backups are in the realm of 200TB each so there isn't time to do test restore unless our CTO springs for a second tape library.

A backup set is only as good as the last restore from it. if you have never restored from one, then assume it is bad.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Then again, such things can make life hell for contractors or consultants, both of which tend to be expensive resources. You really don't want to pay $100-$300/hour for somebody to twiddle their thumbs while you determine that yes, indeed, they know how to run antivirus software, use full-disk encryption, and their OS is 2 versions ahead of yours, fully patched.

Guest wireless segments are a good solution to this. then if they need internal resources get them to VPN back in to internal the same as anyone offsite.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Might be combining evils into mega evil, but we use the MFD fax integration and Fax to email / print to Fax on them instead of dealing with Fax hardware. Works well for us.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Swink posted:

Is it possible to download Photoshop without using the fuckhole that is Adobe Creative Cloud Downloader thing? I just want the install files so I dont have to download it 10 times.

I think there is a package manager that you can use to build an installer.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Pissing me off: co-worker's complete inability to read instructions and follow them, instead asking me every couple minutes "now what?"

For whatever reason we use a royally hosed-up setup of McAfee that works fine on some servers, but on others decides it doesn't feel like updating DAT files, so each day we run VBS scripts that poll each server across five different domains and generates a CSV file that then gets run through Access to generate a spreadsheet that we can then use to determine which machines are not updating their DAT file that day.

you are not using the mcafee management tools?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

I'm not in the IT department :/ If I were, this definitely would not be an issue.

so far all evidence points to your IT department being useless.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Veskit posted:

...The only concern is since this will be a document tracker access made it really easy to design it, and I don't know if its as either in the other environments...

This sounds like a solved problem. SharePoint or some OSS tool may do what you need.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Veskit posted:

*note, an installation charge of (a loving ridiculous amount of money) will be charged to your departments budget.

At that point I may as well find the best software I can snag for around the same price.

Sounds like you are looking for a technical solution to a non-technical problem. The problem being your corporate IT not supporting the business. Good luck with that.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Humphreys posted:

I'll be staying on the east coast thankyou very much! I've heard enough horror stories about heat and fire in SA

Yeah, but it's a dry heat.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Westie posted:

Nothing stopping you from saving an EML now, is there?

With the level of endpoint protection around, I would be not so sure.

In these case the official advice is usually a dated journal. Write down the substantive content of all incidents and the people involved.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Humphreys posted:

One old job of mine, we received movie tickets as prizes. Having said that, this was the parent company of a major cinema chain of which the staff ID card could be scanned at any of their cinemas for a discounted ticket of 50c. So worthless. It cost me more driving to see a movie than to see the movie :v:

Could you give the tickets away? use them to bring friends?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Caged posted:

Maybe that option hasn't made it across the pond yet. I also don't want to have to go to an i7 to spec an SSD, but I suspect Dell probably know this. 8GB RAM, i5, 256GB SSD and dual display outputs is the entirety of my shopping list.

Just call your Dell Rep and tell them the spec you want.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

anthonypants posted:

If someone says they had a BSOD and there's a bugcheck code in the event viewer, my first step is plugging that number into Google. gently caress you.

Google is not your first step. You know what a BSOD is and have looked in the event viewer and found a bugcheck code. You have perfomed what HR would put on an advert as "High level desktop troubleshooting". The people who struggle with basic troubleshooting need to be asked, "What did the event log say". Repeatedly.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Sounds like you are about to learn WDS/MDT

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
It's printers and Java in sweet sweet embrace.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

ocall posted:

I have been tasked with researching/implementing a print limiting solution. With the size of environment ~1000 students and ~300 or so staff it doesn't seem to really be worth the investment. It just seems crazy to spend a bunch of time and money without being able to quantify how much "print waste" is really costing the college.

I have voiced my objections but it seems this has a hell of lot of support from upper management.

We had print limiting setup a few years ago. In the five years it was running there was not a single request for usage reports for staff or students. All it did was create a huge influx of tickets at the start of the semester.

Cost accounting / recovery might not be appropriate to your organisation, but print release saves a metric poo poo tonne in waste. Our solution payed for itself in 12 months on the print cost savings.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

myron cope posted:

Is there a slightly less terrible way to manage printers? A print server? We literally install every printer driver on every machine we set up and then anytime someone wants to print to another printer. There has to be even a somewhat less ridiculous way

With some solutions you can set up one queue, and then swipe in on the printer to collect output from wherever you want. Best bet is to hand the whole thing, from the Server software, hardware and consumables off to the photocopier vendor. This way you just pay x cents per black and y cents per colour

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

myron cope posted:

Oh I should also mention I am helpdesk and have no authority to do this so I'd have to rely on 1) getting something approved and 2) our lazy sysadmins wanting to set something up

Easy answer: Stop caring, put in your hours, and head home to a nice single malt. I recomend a nice west coast highland malt or Islay.

Hard answer: write the buisness case, get it sponsored by the executives, and make a very large amount of enemies from people who took the easy answer.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
You need to make a reality TV show about rescuing companies from IT/Ops disasters, like Gordon Ramsey does with resteraunts. Call it "Dicks Trauma's"

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Sickening posted:

Dear all,

Stop making windows vm's with system drives that are too large. No, they don't need to be more than 60 gigs. Yes, Seperate data drives make more sense. Yes, it does matter.

I have been doing 120Gig. Am I too generous?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Moey posted:

I had someone tell me dark fiber that runs across a small private campus isn't secure enough. :fuckoff:

security licenses for the kit at either end (assuming cisco) and put an IPsec tunnel on it? I mean, if they want to waste the money.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

When the University of Strathclyde rolled out their resnet in 2000, DHCP would go down every Friday afternoon, and STAY down all weekend, like clockwork. Reservations were long enough that those of us antisocial enough to run PCs 24/7 weren't affected, but everyone "normal" hated it.

was it running from one of the admins desktops?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
so what is /24 worth these days?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an RSS client? I know a million websites, but any good applications to pull down RSS to the desktop?

Outlook?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: One of the trainer / sales people / vendor / I don't even know, just the 10 or 15 random poo poo emails I get per day that I ignore... one of them today sent me an email saying they've heard nothing from their attempts to contact me and if i I want to, I think the quote was, "tell me to piss off", they won't be offended. Holy poo poo my man, do you want to wake the dragon? What are you thinking, offering that up? Still, just ignored it, but man don't stick your head in the alligator's mouth if you don't want to get bit.

Go on. Chomp down. Post the fallout for our amusement.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I get my expense checks promptly and without fail, if I had doubts that they couldn't reimburse me I certainly wouldn't be doing any of this.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should build a kegerator with all the cash or use it for something adult and responsible instead...

I thought the choice was a boat or trip to europe?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

The RMA unit took a poo poo today. Looks like the exact same problem, HD or whatever it uses for storage puked.

Any suggestions for NOT A FORTINET firewall?

We only have 10/10 connection, would like traffic monitoring capabilities and VPN, we have 100 users behind it.

We are using a PA 200 for an office on a 10/10 (only 15 users though) and a 500 for an office on a 50/50 with 200 users. Had a HDD fail in the 500 in its first month of service. overnight freighted replacement still working.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Swink posted:

On SQL Server 2008, what can I use to detect when a record has been added, and validate what data is present\absent in the relevant tables? Is this idea so bad that it's worth telling management that it cannot be done?

A trigger on the table insert? Look for data errors in the "inserted" table and fire off an email with the email stored procedures if they are found.

You could try adding the validation as some sort of constraints on the database tables, but I am not sure what that would do to your forms.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Client -> HP ProCurve 26xx switch -> patch panel HP ProCurve 26xx switch -> DHCP/DNS Server -> Gateway.

This confuses me.

map out the layer 2 and layer 3 networks. then draw some sort of diagram over time with the connections. and when they fail.

If clients get a config from DHCP, and can resolve a name via the DNS server, then the problem probably has nothing to do with the server. At that point it is an IP packet from the client to the gateway which is going nowhere. either the packet is not reaching the gateway, or the gateway is not forwarding it. The idea of checking the subnet mask is good, as is checking the routing and ACLs on the router.

My guess will be subnet masks put in wrong on the router? 255.255.255.0 instead of 0.0.0.255 or something similar?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I know, I almost don't know what to do with my current job, at a well functioning organization.

EDIT: I've posted so many, I forget which ones and I don't want to repeat, but I basically had 7 years at that company and every day was a new adventure.

Write a book.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

ponzicar posted:

That can backfire spectacularly if he's into any of those things.

Still create more amusement for us. which is all that really counts in the end.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Yes. The current legal state is that you effectively have no expectation of privacy while working, so spyware in the name of making sure employees are doing their work is legal. This means that your employer can read your email, and intercept any communications performed on work provided machines.

Taking your picture constantly sounds super creepy so I cannot imagine anyone who has a choice putting up with it, even if it's legal.

It is not the monitoring that surprises non US people, it is the legality of docking pay.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Senso posted:

I get you, every now and then we talk about a better solution than having all cron jobs everywhere email their results to us. Services exist that can grab those and put it all into a nice Node.js page, but we would end up ignoring it, I just know it. The thing is, of the ~100 cron emails I get every day, every now and then we do spot a valid error that needs to be fixed (ex. a backup rsync, the host ssh key changed, backup job fails) so it IS useful to check them. But I usually do with my finger on the delete key, just watching for patterns different from previous days that my morning brain can catch.

Sounds like a good monitoring tool will pay for itself just in time saved.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

anthonypants posted:

My boss is super paranoid and for our upgrade to a 2008r2 forest/domain functional level he wants me to provide a rollback plan using snapshots and it seems like the worst idea

dc promo everything but one out. snapshot. upgrade. Promo all the others back in?

I mean, it is a dumb plan, but it meets the requirements.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

anthonypants posted:

If you are adding a new domain controller, you use dcpromo to "promote" the server to a "dc". You can do this if you have an existing domain, or if you're creating a brand new domain. When you're creating a new domain, you can, of course, specify the functional level, like if you're spinning up a 2012R2 box for your first DC but you also have some old 2008R2 boxes you'll use as DCs, so you'd set the functional level to 2008R2. All our DCs are 2008R2 and the 2003 servers were decommissioned long ago, so we're not using dcpromo.

If you're raising the functional level you go into Domains and Trusts and right-click the forest/domain and click Raise and Next and OK a couple times and you're good.

Sorry If I wasn't clear. the intent was to remove all but one DC, so that you can use a snapshot of your last DC as a rollback plan on your upgrade. You can use your favourite tool for that, but I don't know of any way to get a snapshot as part of a rollback plan without removing all but one DC.

Your alternative is to not use any snapshots in the rollback plan, which is probably best.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
can you even get a cert signed by someone from outside for a domain that is not public?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Tomorrow I think I need to have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with him.

Someone you know has had a major change in behaviour. Can I suggest a "are you ok?" before the "come to jesus conversation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've been waiting well over a month for our networking folks to open a port in the firewall. They had the paperwork initially over a year ago, but last month they had an issue with the switches and firewalls and had to roll a bunch of things back, and this closed the once-open port. Re-sent the paperwork and sat back and waited. And waited. Yesterday got told the port was open again. It wasn't. Emailed the lead. "I'm out of the office until Oct 24." Motherfucker...

If the change was already approved and in, why are you resubmitting paperwork. the closing of it is a fault.