Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Someone mentioned w/u heroic so I figured I'd throw up the deck I thought about making for fun: http://deckbox.org/sets/585964

I'd put it on deckstats but im on mobile and it doesnt work. Its a heroic deck using some new botg cards. Aside from obvious heroic shenanigans I thought it would be fun to pull some tricks with nivmagus elemental, particularly if I can get a strings ciphered. Ive never tried to make a heroic deck so feel free to tell me how dumb I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Typhus733 posted:

Has anyone tried building an even semi-competitive Minotaur deck now that BNG is out? I'm not much of a deckbuilder so all I've came up with is this but, while not tier one, I think it's an idea for a deck that can be fun and a little more effective than one might think at first glance given all the great removal available in red and black right now. I'd love to see some more mindfully built lists for the idea if anyone else has been looking at it.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/minotaur-tribal-06-02-14-3/

Edit for reference: That list in particular is just what I've been tinkering with based on what I already own, I'd probably run a full grip of hero's downfall if I had more of 'em. Ditto with not having thoughtseize in there at all.

I thought about doing this just because the majority of it would be so cheap to build. I would definitely run 4 ragemongers though, if you have a single one out then the rest only cost 1 to play. I'm also not totally sold on felhide spiritbinder, I played one in sealed at prerelease and it was fun when it worked but a lot of the time it was just a body. Only t1 spell I can see for that deck probably is a thoughtseize though. Cheap fun casual deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Elephant Ambush posted:

Does RDW really care about trample since it's pretty much swinging with everything every turn? I'm on the fence about Searing Blood. It seems good but it's also 2 mana, and the reason I replaced my Magma Jets with Shocks is that 2 mana isn't always easy to come by in most games.

I think the archetype is good and a good pick in sealed but I dont know about constructed uses. Searing blood though, I think is amazing. Between that and satyr firedancer I'm hoping burn decks can make a real return. If you use searing blood right, it's always at least a 2 for 1. If you have any combination of young pyro or satyr firedancer out, you get even more value out of an already effecient card. I dont think it replaces magma jet because jet serves its own purpose with scry. Worst case scenario is that you have to sideboard searing blood out against U/W control or something like that.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Since we were talking red cards earlier, I'd like some input on a standard burn deck build I'm thinking about taking to FNM. I have all the pieces except the BNG stuff.

4x Ash zealot
4x Chandra's Phoenix
4x Satyr Firedancer

1x Aurelia's Fury
4x Boros charm
4x Magma Jet
4x Lightning strike
4x Searing blood
3x Skullcrack
4x Warleader's helix

2x Chandra, pyromaster

4x Temple of triumph
4x Sacred Foundry
14x Mountain

I'm really wanting the new satyr and searing blood to push pure faceburn without red devotion into a good deck again. Phoenix is good for obvious reasons, and I feel like zealot is right because its great for early damage or defending vs aggro decks so I dont have to waste as many burns on creatures. Sideboard I'm not sure about yet, right now I'm thinking of keeping boros reckoners on the sb as replacements for the satyrs against decks with little creature presence. Probably a couple burning earths and around 3 chain to the rocks, along with some wear/tears or revoke existence. I'm open to ideas.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Malgrin posted:

Anyone see the Bard's deck tech? It's RW Burn, and looks pretty solid:
http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/deck_tech_rw_burn_with_brad_ne.html

When would you bring the oracle of bones and toil/trouble in from sideboard? He even says in the video "because reasons" and it's a neat combo but I'm not sure when they would come in.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Ask Me For Warez posted:

In addition to the above, I'd play Gift of Orzhova over Murder Investigation.

I kinda like murder investigation in a deck thats also running eidolon of countless battles, seems to be good synergy there. It only costs 1cmc with hero out too so it wont slow you down going into t3.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I've seen people tossing around the idea of replacing rakdos shredfreak with pain seer in rakdos aggro decks, has anyone actually tried it yet? Personally I think pain seer is overrated and I know opinion is split on it. Seems like the whole point of rakdos aggro is to rush in and do damage fast and pain seer not having haste seems like it wouldn't help that much. Just curious if anyone's playtested it yet.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, being a Human without a double mana cost may be enough to warrant inclusion, even if the effect will probably go off a negligible number of times.

Right and I'd normally agree but shredfreaks double cost can be paid with either of the decks colors so he can always be played, on top of also being a human. I feel like pain seers ability would end up making a somewhat negligible difference and the haste on shredfreak helps push forward the main strategy of the deck. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something or someone has had success in playtesting.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

inthesto posted:

I'm thinking of building a white weenies deck on a serious budget. Here's more or less what I've got:

Deck: Trailer Trash

//Lands
20 Plains

//Creatures
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
3 Boros Elite
4 Dryad Militant
4 Daring Skyjek
4 Precinct Captain
3 Imposing Sovereign
3 Banisher Priest
3 Eidolon of Countless Battles
2 Fiendslayer Paladin
2 Frontline Medic

//Other
2 Gods Willing
4 Brave The Elements
2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

//Sideboard
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
3 Acolyte's Reward
2 Blind Obedience
2 Spear of Heliod
3 Celestial Flare
3 Revoke Existence

You'll notice some conspicuous absences on account of price (Mutavault, Brimaz), but otherwise I'm looking for tweaks to keep this thing on the cheap. Naturally I'm not going to be going far in FNM with this, but it's nice to have a standard deck I can pull out regularly.

I played a version of this with red splash purely for boros charms and had some decent success. You should sideboard the paladins and mainboard the spears. Always play them on t3 if you can and have some creatures out. I also ran 4 boros elite and people haaate seeing multiples of those drop on t2. I also ran 4 banisher priests and 22 lands but im not sure how much difference it made.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah phenax mill seems like it would be more effecient and have access to thoughtseize/duress but a BUG mill that splashes G just for the prophet/phenax combo would be hilarious.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I am thinking about running this at FNM this week: http://deckbox.org/sets/589812

Never played it before but the last few cards should arrive tomorrow. Tried to balance out what to cut to add two Brimaz and balance the land out. It's mostly cribbed from a big boros deck that won a GP or something a few weeks back. Was going to run my new R/w burn deck but my shop is flooded with R/G monsters right now and I don't think it would win. Would appreciate any comments on the deck or sideboard.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mehall posted:

Yeah, I'd say running Phoenix and young pyro is greedy when you're already relatively creature heavy. (Heavy for a deck running those guys.)

You guys are probably right. I'm thinking of taking out both hammers, then either reducing the number of helixes or chains and adding in 4x searing blood. All the hard hitters in the deck are t3 and up so I need some control in the first turns. Maybe lightning strike on main and searing bloods on sideboard in their place? Or something totally different.

Ed: made changes to maindeck and sideboard. http://deckbox.org/sets/589812

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 18, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

I haven't played anything as mixed as this, but the deck seems to be all over the place. If you want to go the control route, I would recommend dropping the Phoenix and YPs and put in a playset of Anger of the Gods. Maybe add in another Purphoros because it looks like your finishers are Elspeth/Assemble + Purph. You won't be doing much beating with just Reckoner and Brimaz, but they're really good on the defensive. Maybe you could make room for some Boros Charms just because it is a good card.

Ive thought a lot about doing this so I might. The idea is supposed to be that you're well rounded g1, then g2 I can sideboard in more burn/control if I need it. I might try completely removing YP's and/or pheonix and opting for early game control into my 3 cmc stuff. I'm somewhat worried about trying that because there's a good bit of esper control played here. I also liked the combo utility they both have with purphoros. So you think maybe add 3 angers and 4 boros charms over YP and phoenix?

I think magma jet is better over searing blood here because of the scry. I love searing blood but it seems like having something to help make sure I can curve correctly into turn 3 has more overall utility in this deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

You could always try the all burn-spell w/ Satyr Firedancer route. :v: It would remove the need for Mizzium Mortars, and you get ridiculous efficiency out of Searing Blood. Then for the control match-up, you can take out Searing Blood and Satyr Firedancer for Assemble and Chandra's Phoenix.

Thats actually what I'm trying at this moment: http://deckbox.org/sets/592950

Ive actually had a lot of fun playing it. I went about even playtesting against a mono black aggro deck my friend is running and all my losses came from pack rats getting out burn death range. I did lose the matchup against a selesnya token deck my fiancee plays though, with smiters/trostani/advent being a problem. I thought I should switch to the midrange boros deck because I don't think the burn deck can stand up to G/R monsters.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

YP is how you survive G/R Monsters by chump blocking all day long. This is also why you need Mutavaults. I would also run Shocks over Ash Zealot and 4 x Warleader Helix because it is a 1-mana "Kill Mutavault" which helps bring those rats back down to manageable sizes.

So what exactly would you cut/add? I could see replacing helix with shock for the rats matchup, or anyone running full sets of mutavaults. Should I mainboard or sideboard shocks? I had ash zealot mainboard because it was doing awesome defending against aggro and the early damage it snuck in won me a few games. Young pyro wasn't putting in as much work against faster decks so I ended up sideboarding it but it did help out like you said against the bigger selesnya deck. I haven't had a chance to play against monsters so I was worried. Having out two satyr firedancers and killing something with searing blood was pretty nice though, it's fun to play.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

I'll consider these changes and add shocks, thanks. I probably will find somewhere to keep both Chandras because every time I got to play her she was awesome at keeping my deck moving. I'll be sad when rotation happens and some of the better burns like skullcrack and boros charm are gone, satyr firedancer actually makes burn pretty fun to play. Is Aurelia's Fury a garbage card for this deck? It's an X spell and I dont have a lot of land but the damage distribution/silence effect seemed interesting but I've never seen anyone play one.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Would like some advice on modern green devo, this is what I'm going to try and run: http://deckbox.org/sets/621273?v=l

Mostly cribbed from an idea I saw online with the sideboard assembled with suggestions from goons. I'm wondering though if I should add strangleroot geists, maybe in place of the joraga treespeakers? Having a small group of haste creatures seems like it would be pretty good if they come in along with a craterhoof using genesis wave and treespeaker seems maybe a little over the top? Not really sure. Also considered elvish visionary or wistful selkie, open to other ideas. I just want to drop huge g waves and go all in.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Thinking about throwing together a G/W hexproof auras for fun. I'd do naya instead, but I don't have the necessary lands. Hopefully getting some temple gardens soon. Also don't have any Voices, and they are really pricey so I doubt I'll get any right now. Trying to work with budget so I can get other stuff. The idea right now:

4x Witchstalker
4x Gladecover Scout
4x Fleecemane Lion
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Elvish mystic
4x Boon Satyr
2x Fiendslayer Paladin

3x Selesnya Charm

4x Ethereal Armor
4x Unflinching Courage

8x Forest
7x Plains
4x Temple Garden
4x Temple of Plenty

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
That link to the mill deck is broken but I never see any W/U mills, only B/U mills. W/U is almost always a control deck and is one of the more expensive decks to get all the right pieces for. You can probably make a B/U mill for pretty cheap but they rarely do too well past a casual level. They can be fun though, a friend runs a simic mill where the only two creatures are two consuming abberations and be only runs those so he can devour flesh himself and gain a bunch of life. The rest of the deck is pure control that uses mostly jace, memory adept and ashiok to mill.

Alternatively, you can make some good white weenie or R/B aggro decks for cheap that will score some wins. That's what a lot of people will suggest if youre getting back in and want to play at fnm.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mef989 posted:

This link should work http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blue-white-control-mill-take-2/. I changed a card out after I posted it and didn't realize it broke the link. I'll definitely take a look into U/B. I was enjoying milling tonight, and think I want to go down that road. Can tri-color work at all?

I haven't seen any tri cor mills, probably because there isn't much benefit unless you wanted tl squeeze in some detention spheres and supreme verdicts to add to the control. Jace MA is good at milling but he's going to be a fat target so you have to have other options. Your cards now aren't really conducive to mill tbh- youve got a little control with the counters, some creatures, and only a handful of mill options. The enchant lands are a bad mill condition- milling shouldnt be conditional assuming your opponent does it to themselves. Worst case someone just wouldn't use that land unless they really needed it. There's way too many mill options in mixed B/U cards to not go that route. Though really, the only expensive cards for a U/B control mill are dual lands, ashiok and jace, which arent that bad. You could also go the phenax wall mill route instead, which shouldn't be too expensive either.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I would sideboard a couple of the fiendslayers for precinct captains personally. You might also be better off replacing the gorehouse chainwalkers with either daring skyjek or boros elite. Skyjeks have evasion for the same cmc, and dropping multiple boros elites on turns 1&2 can be overwhelming early on.

Also don't know if I'd keep the helixes in an aggro and if you play boros aggro you either need a cheaper burn like lightning strike to kill blockers or you need brave the elements. Most boros aggro you see doesn't run firedrinkers because brave the elements won't work with them, the red is usually a splash for boros charm and a little burn.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 19, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I think both of those decks are really short on creatures. Nothing worse than having a handful of buffs and nothing to target. Or only having one creature and getting doom bladed in response to an attack or casting indestructibility. You should also factor in the fact that some of those creatures can be cast as auras themselves. Not sure what 4x copies of mainboard pithing needles will be needed for either.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If you really want to worry about heroic triggers then reap what is sown would be great for g/w. Fleecemane is a great value creature but you might also consider phalanx leader, I run 4 of him in my w/u heroic and he's super high value.

If youre interested in hexproof or hard to kill stuff or whatever why not consider just playing a G/W/x hexproof deck? I posted a pretty simple g/w hexproof a page ago.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I lost to a guy yesterday that ran deputy of acquittals in his ephara aggro. It actually won him the game because he used them twice to bounce creatures I tried to hit with searing blood. It seemed to mostly be a white aggro deck that had brimaz, ephara, and deputy and he did pretty well with it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Deputy was more used to guarantee a card draw with ephara but constantly being denied burn targets was aggravating. If the game runs late and you have 5 mana, dont forget you can abuse stack and permanently exile dudes with banisher priest/deputy combo too.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Huh my mistake, just thought of it while making that post. That said, I still wouldn't mainboard 4 priests if youre running 4 dspheres.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Reposting this because I was looking for some input. Fiancee has been playing selesnya tokens and said she wanted to try something different with the same colors. I'd go full naya hexproof but lack the g/r dual lands. I have a sideboard made up too consisting of skylashers, mistcutters, mending touch, etc. Wondering if I'm overdoing the manadorks or if I should keep them and cut down on lands. I do have a full set of Eidolon of countless battles too but wasnt sure if i should cut for them. Input wanted!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Don't have any Voices, and they are really pricey so I doubt I'll get any right now. Trying to work with budget so I can get other stuff. The idea right now:

4x Witchstalker
4x Gladecover Scout
4x Fleecemane Lion
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Elvish mystic
4x Boon Satyr
2x Fiendslayer Paladin

3x Selesnya Charm

4x Ethereal Armor
4x Unflinching Courage

10x Forest
5x Plains
4x Temple Garden
4x Temple of Plenty

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 26, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

tzirean posted:

You're running 23 lands and 8 mana elves, and the only things in the deck that cost more than 3 mana are bestowing Boon Satyr and the Fleecemane Lion monstrous activation that'll never happen anyway. Cut a basic land, cut the mystics and maybe even cut the caryatids.

Yeah I honestly can't remember why I put so much mana in there to begin with. I guess without the red naya part in there I wasnt sure what else to add. Could still add eidolons and cut the elves I guess. Maybe do:

-4 elvish mystic
-1 Forest
+4 eidolon of countless battles
+1 selesnya charm

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Death Bot posted:

Good, good, now cut the Caryatids for something else too. Maybe a few Spears? Hero of Iroas?

I have two spears. I hadn't considered hero of iroas but I kinda makes sense. Only problem with him is he's a magnet for removal since he doesnt have hexproof or pro colors. Still might be worth it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

traslin posted:

If you want to go more aggro, you could put in some Imposing Sovereign. Again, she doesn't have hexproof but at least you won't be wasting any Auras on her and she bolsters your other creatures.

Or you could put in some Blind Obedience, which wouldn't be as aggro but more helpful in the long games.

Also, Soldier of the Pantheon might be a good 1 drop to put in that sort of fits in with the theme of the deck.

I considered sovereign but she'd be a removal magnet. Blind obedience actually works well because it works with ethereal armor and isn't as dead of a card late game as sovereign. Spear works with armor too I guess. Hero is better on curve and helps make the auras easier to use, but obedience and spear might have more overall game presence. Hmm.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Chow-King posted:

Deck: Gruul Team

//Lands
9 Forest
6 Mountain
1 Rogue's Passage
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon

//Spells
4 Mizzium Mortars
2 Shock

//Creatures
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Fanatic of Xenagos
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Kalonian Tusker
2 Rakdos Cackler
2 Skarrg Guildmage
3 Slaughterhorn
4 Wild Beastmaster

Display deck statistics

So this is my budget Gruul Team deck. My aim is to use my spells to kill any early game creatures while I get my creatures out. I'll then pump up my creatures using the Blood Rush mechanic with Ghor-Clan Rampager and Slaughterhorn in combination with Wild Beastmaster to win the game. Anyone have any other suggestions to make this a better deck?

You could go full aggro and add rakdos shredfreaks and satyr firedrinkers, add a fourth fanatic, maybe some e1's. You have a really low average cmc right now so you definitely don't need elvish mystics, or 24 land for that matter. Legion loyalist would be a good one drop if you went that route.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Chains is amazing and I run 4 mainboard in my burn deck. Ash zealots are also amazingly useful but caryatids shut them down. Firedrinkers are there for the control matchups and mono B devotion as well. If games go too long against either of those then you will lose, so it adds an extra measure of fast aggro.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Boco_T posted:

Nothing major to report so far on Izzet Spellheart from LightReaper, but here are my notes so far:

I made a crappy build on MODO to get used to the deck overall and all I learned was that Aetherize/Disperse/Essence Scatter aren't really any good compared to Mizzium Mortars and Cyclonic Rift. No brainer. Prognostic Sphinx is neat, Scry 3 is very good in this deck but overall it isn't in the same league as Aetherling.

Got to play 2 rounds casual at the shop tonight with the real version. I decided to run the full 4 Guildgates in mine based on mana ratio math. Didn't cause any issues so far.

First was against a weird WBr aggro deck and I lost the first game quite handily but I think I just didn't draw a particularly good mixture of spells. Game 2 (no board) he didn't draw any land so nothing there.

Then I did a proper match against GW. Experiment One, Voice, Smiter, Advent, Call of the Conclave, all of that. Game 1 I used Young Pyromancer tokens (drew 3 YPs) to hold off long enough to win a race against his big guys.

Sided out YP, Guttersnipe and Quicken, brought in 3 Anger, 2 Fated, 3 Searing Blood. In the beginning I hold him off. I have to play through 2 Voices and an Advent, but I have a hand full of burn. He gets me all the way down to 4 when I stablize away the 2 Voice tokens and a third thing with Anger of the Gods. I tap out for Aetherling because his board is clear and I need to make sure I have a blocker and what the hell removal is he going to have for GW? He uses Selesnya Charm to pump Aetherling then a second charm to exile it. Then next round he plays Advent and I use double Izzet Charm to counter.

So we're both in top-deck mode, but for real. My Aetherling was gone so I literally just had the 4 Spellheart Chimera in my deck as my win-con. Still, everything in my deck is gas because I only ever have to do 1-for-1. Finally we both have like 15 lands out and I get the Spellheart. He's on 14 because of 2 early Searing Bloods, I'm still on 4. I drop it and he casts the card he's been holding for a few turns: Plummet. SURPRISE I cast Turn on my dude to make it an 0/1 without flying and counter his spell. Then I swing in for 16 because that's how many spells were in my graveyard.

I love the deck and am excited to play it in the league on Sunday. I am also excited to finally get the drat scry lands in the last set, plus see if Keranos can add anything.

I'd say we should try something else instead of Quicken in that slot. I cycled it 3 times on the night and did not really like seeing it. But I don't know what would be the best to add.

I got the pieces to make a spellheart deck but havent tried it yet. I thought about only running chimeras, 2 prog sphinxes, and 1 aetherling as my wincons, then filling the slots with counters/control. Seems like a fun deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Why are you running ashiok? Seems to do nothing with the rest of your deck?

Why are you running Imposing Sovereign if it isnt an aggro deck?

Why are you running 4 Soldier of the pantheon if it isn't an aggro deck and you have 12 scrylands to take up t1?

Also don't know why youre running thassa in an esper deck, doesn't seem like you'll benefit from it that much. Haven't seen anyone else doing that at least.

You seem to be all over the place. Ive been playing r/w burn for a month or so and midrange decks can be somewhat difficult if they are set up right. Blood baron cant be hit with chained to the rocks or Warleader's helix so they can be difficult to remove. A single whip isnt a bad idea vs burn depending on your other creatures and combos with obzedat well. If youre going to be esper midrange, you need to be able to use your control options to buy you time to stabilize. Burn starts running out of steam around t5-6 so if you stabilize and start gaining life it can be difficult for burn to keep up.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Am tweeking my standard BW midrange, concerned about Naya Hexproof. Plan to run 4 Devour Flesh, but I think I need more that can disrupt them, since Pack Rat isn't ideal for early Madcap Skills, and they may have Voltroned something big by the time the other stuff hits. Have 2 Revoke Existence to zap the auras, think that's it. Drown in Sorrow? Probably too easy for them to get a guy bigger than x/2.

Naya hexproof runs 4 witchstalkers, which are already 3/3. It might kill a gladecover scout but on t3 its pretty easy for them to have an ethereal armor and some other enchantment on the field to make it a 3/3 too. You could always try something like celestial flare I guess if your local meta is full of hexproof.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mef989 posted:

I took the advise that this thread gave me a few weeks back and as a newer player getting back into Magic after about a decade built myself a Boros Aggro deck instead of trying to play around with W/U Control or B/U Mill right off the bat. This deck has been doing fairly well, and I just went 3-1 at a Standard Skins Tournament. I'd still appreciate any advice on how to make it better however. For reference, I am looking at playing this deck regularly at FNM and other standard events:
Boros Aggro Deck

Also, I am thinking about making myself an Unglued / Unhinged deck just for the hell of it. After reading some articles on interesting combos with those sets, I came up with this deck, and would like some feedback:
Unhinged / Unglued Deck

I might recommend doing 4 chains/2 hammers over the 3/3 split you have now. Does the hammer come in useful often enough that youre glad you drew it? Normally people would run spear of heliod where youre going hammer but it depends on the results youve been getting. Might also suggest madcap skills over titan strength, but again thats up to you and your results. Sounds like youve been doing ok. I'm sure people have said for you to get some shocklands/scrylands but thats usually a budget issue if youre new.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mef989 posted:

I do plan on getting a few Temples in the near future, but shocklands are just too expensive for me. Most of the expensive cards here like Brimaz I was lucky enough to pull on my own. Would you recommend replacing the Boros Guildgates with the Temples entirely, or should I run 4 and 4?

I would replace the guildgates, only because its an aggro deck and you cant risk having 8 tapped lands. Brimaz is awesome but you might be able to find someone online who would trade that one brimaz for a full set of sacred foundries, or close to it at least. The foundries won't lose too much (if any) value after rotation and having those plus the scrylands opens you up to having the correct manabase for more options. You could always sell them later. Or keep brimaz because he's super solid and will be seeing quite a bit of use in standard for a while, just an idea.

Edit: wow dang sacred foundries have gone up a bit in price lately. I guess the rise of r/w burn bumped them, they are avg price of $13 on tcgplayer, glad I got some when they were under $10.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 8, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I would probably take out heliod, sideboard the fiendslayers, add a fourth reckoner and two more boros charms. You also don't really need nykthos seeing as your curve tops at 3, you could add another temple and mountain for chains.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, the things I see people attempting.....

Jokes aside I was thinking of trying an izzet control deck using keranos and maybe 2 prognostic sphinx as the wincons, using sphinx's scry3 to set up keranos. Huge counter suite followed by a mix of mizzium mortars, angers, cyclonic rifts, turn/burn, maybe aetherize. Sounds fun in my head anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Counterflux mainly exists as an answer to storm decks but its definitely a good sideboard card for uw control decks.

Pronostic sphinx dies to board wipers but keranos doesn't and he's the slow grind wincon. Sphinx is still hard to kill and it lets you maximize the reveals from keranos. Not sure what numbers to run though. Also not sure if the deck should run an elixer. Izzet has had a bunch of good cards but no long term wincon other than an aetherling, I want to do some playtesting go see how viable sphinx/keranos is.

• Locked thread