Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It looks like his upgraded costume has a proper face mask though - Felicity seems to have drawn inspiration from Malcolm's costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

We have been Told he appears this season but we do not know in what capacity

What's the bet it happens in episode 5, which according to wikipedia, is titled: League of Assassins

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mr.Drf posted:

I think Oliver straight up said he was dead to Laurel. When she was talking about there being one archer left.

Oliver also thought Deadshot was dead after their first battle.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Phylodox posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that was just the mannequin the costume was displayed on.

Oh well, guess it's still eye makeup and looking down at his feet all the time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Go big, get Christopher Lee.

Christopher Lee is not going to fly halfway around the world at his age to be in Arrow. Besides, they may want the character to be recurring, and Christopher Lee may not have much recurring left in him.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Deadpool posted:

See, here's a statement that can apply to the show as a whole.

It ought to be the thread title.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Since Oliver and Laurel's relationship is kind of blown up what with the dead Tommy in the room, I'm wondering if he's just going to start hooking up with Sarah now.

I hope the first clue Laurel or her father have of Sarah being alive is accidently walking in on Oliver having sex with her. The drama would be delicious.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I suspect this season will be all about Brother Blood and Rochev, with the league of assassins remaining in the background of Sarah's plot arc, and as a bit of a cocktease. I suspect they're being set up to be a big thing next season.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm honestly struggling to comprehend how anyone, let alone a genre savvy goon, could have seen those first few episodes and not just assumed she'd be revealed to be alive at some point.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The CW has announced another DC comic show in development, this time its Hourman but instead of the regular comic book version of the character (Rex Tyler, a chemist who creates Miraclo which is a drug that gives him superpowers for exactly one hour) they're giving him the ability to see one hour into the future.

They already did this for an episode of Deep Space 9. It doesn't really need to be done again.

I have really mixed feelings about the thought of them adding superpowers to this show. It doesn't need it, it does just fine as its own little Nolanesque piece of deliciousness. Which is so strange considering I went into Arrow thinking what a shame it was that they weren't making a Smallville spinoff with Justin Hartley. (Oh god how much worse would that have been than what we ended up getting.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

oh jay posted:

Every time a female character is revealed, the shot always starts from the heels and then reveals the rest of her body (see also: Isabel getting out of the car this episode).

That's just the way it is in TV and film. Don't ask me why.

They were wearing the exact same shoes though. I'm struggling with the idea that the show could show a shadowy figure, where the only thing you can see clearly is the distinctive shoes, and then focus on those exact same shoes again, only for it to be a coincidence. I think it's her.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

[quote=""Drifter"" post=""422612571""]
Maybe he meant someone missed the bus.
[/quote]

I bet it wasn't Barry Allen.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

But then he'd easily get to his destination and it wouldn't provide dramatic tension.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Well, that, and after a couple of scenes together, Amell made a phone call and basically said "Hey, I don't know if you're seeing this in the dailies, but it feels like Emily and I have insane chemistry together. If you get a chance to bring her back, I think you should."

And then the producers smiled, because Amell already gave more of a poo poo about this show than Tom Welling did about his.

Was Tom Welling always such a fuckwit? Or did something happen to sour him on his role in smallville? He seems like such an idiot who hasn't done anything of note since.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

VDay posted:

This was the only thing about the episode that I hated by the way. I can kind of understand why they wanted to have that scene to show us that hey, she really talked to someone, but it was completely ridiculous for it to happen the way it did and I think would've been better off being cut. That way there's still some mystery as to whether or not she's bluffing (which, to be fair, she still might be in a way) and we don't have this ridiculous exchange happen:

"Hey Mom, why was that mysterious man that we've never met before in our house talking to you?"
"Oh don't worry about it."

Yeah, cause it's not like you just barely dodged getting the loving death sentence for secretly conspiring with a madman. Yeah, no big deal, I'm sure you meet random strangers in your home all the time. No more lies or secrets, right? Yay Mom, so good to have you back! Oh, you also just want to randomly tell me you love me as well? Great, I love you too! Yup, nothing weird about this entire scene at all. Who wants shots?

I actually assumed it was one of Malcolm's goons, and never gave it another thought till now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dreffen posted:

God drat.

Tomorrow cannot come fast enough.

given that as of the conclusion to last episode Oliver is unconscious, what are the chances this happens in some sort of dream/hallucination sequence?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Just have Laurel die and have Sarah change her name to Laurel in memory of her sister. Everyone wins and technically the showrunners haven't lied to us.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dracorion posted:

Yes, but it'll be good Felicity wearing them as her everyday wear. Evil Fecility will dress surprisingly conservatively.

Seems the "choice" Ollie made on the island was just to put himself between Ivo and the person he was pointed the gun at. Slade's just overreacting because LOVE.

I still wonder how things would've gone if Slade had been in love with Ollie instead.

Honestly the most unrealistic part of the episode was the fact that an intern gets a huge loving office all to himself. Though maybe that's just, like, a chemical storage room that they just told him to set up in.

Oh who am I kidding this episode was great, the show is great and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

I assumed it was his apartment, and he just happened to have a makeshift laboratory in there because he's a giant man-felicity.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Am I alone in thinking there absolutely has to be an annual crossover episode on each show?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Limited edition HTC IVO LTE.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ufarn posted:

I still can't get over Manu Bennett's pronunciation of "vigilante".

Kiwi villains are the best villains.

You do realise he is speaking with an Australian accent right? A typical middle class blue collar accent. As far as I'm concerned that's the correct pronunciation of vigilante. (I know he was born in New Zealand but he was raised in Australia from the time he was a few months old).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Maybe she's going to crop up as Slade's new apprentice. I'm sure he's amenable to doing anything that would press Ollie's buttons.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Whizbang posted:

Somebody saaaaaaaaaaaaaave me!

*Dramatic turn towards camera, shampoo commerical bounce*

Smallville had the most godawful theme music ever.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Feenix posted:

Just wanted to check in and say I'm 8 eps into Season 1. While there is definite room for improvement, I am digging this show.

Obviously, not wanting to risk spoilers, I'm avoiding the bulk of this thread, and I imagine it's been touched on, but why the hell do Thea Queen and the mom BOTH have freaking moles/marks in the same spot on their lip. It's driving me bananas. What the hell?!

maybe it's hereditary?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Prometheus. It was after he bombed Star City and killed Roy's daughter. The storyline ended with Roy having one arm and fighting off burglars with a dead cat while high. It is really really stupid.

With Slade it is hard to say who is his archenemy since he was a anti-hero for a long time. Then Identity Crisis came and Slade became king badass of DC Universe.

I hope they go for a redemption arc with Slade in this show, and keep him as an anti-hero. I like him too much to have him as a clear cut villain. Besides, then they could eventually spin him off onto his own show ala Angel.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Avulsion posted:

He runs an organization that kidnaps people, shoots them full of experimental drugs that will probably kill them and then brainwashes the survivors into murderous fanatics.

Thus the need for the 'redemption' component of a redemption arc.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Crunk Abortion posted:

I can report that FakeClockUp works with the beta of MobileSubstrate, and also makes iOS 7 a hell of a lot snappier on an iPhone 4, especially with some of the fancier graphical flourishes disabled. I'm amazed at how fluid and snappy 7 feels on here given some of the horror stories circulating about running it on old hardware. It feels like a new phone at this point.

This is the Arrow thread dude. We only permit Microsoft products here.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 25, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

In a show that just recently introduced super-soldier serum and exploding particle accelerators giving people superpowers, maybe the most unrealistic thing is that everyone uses Bing. I know why they do it, it's just always makes me smile whenever I see a loving shot of Bing pop up on someone's tablet or smartphone.

As a massive windows phone and Microsoft Surface fan boy though, I prefer to see it as an idealised vision of the world as it should be.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Amell brings up an interesting point in terms of Arrow vs Flash; most of the effects stuff on Arrow is practical. They rarely, if ever, use CGI for anything. But the Flash has powers, the kind that can be very difficult to portray convincingly without special effects. Grant Gustin has an Olympic running trainer whipping his rear end into shape, but that can only do so much; you just can't give a man onscreen superspeed with practical effects. And the Flash isn't the only one they have to worry about; if they're going to use Flash as their 'powers' show, it seems they're going to need some pretty heavy CGI eventually, and TV CGI just isn't good most of the time.

But then, the actual :science: scene for Barry was some of the best special effects I've seen on TV, so maybe they just have a really clutch CGI department. Or maybe they blew most of the season's budget on that scene. Who knows? It's an interesting question going forward. Because I think whether the show can sell the Flash's speed without making it look fake or dopey is going to be one of the biggest factors in whether it sinks or swims.

I never had an issue with the special effects on Smallville. That show had many problems, but CGI was never one of them. Anything Smallville can do, arrowverse can do better.

People have been watching/making effects heavy scifi for decades - Star trek managed it fine, the stargate franchise managed it fine.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Keeku posted:

Good chance Australia is a significant cause of that. Season 1 was way behind the US, and I don't think season 2 has even started airing here yet.

Definitely, I wasn't willing to wait. If Channel 9 doesn't respect its viewers enough to show stuff on time, then they lose me as a viewer - and it's not like I ever watch ads, I record everything I watch so I can watch on a delay and skip ads.

I justify it by always purchasing the DVD of the season when it comes out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Man of Steel's largest problem is that it relegates Superman into a passive role for the ENTIRE FILM. First he's subservient to his father, then his space-father. Then Zod basically says "The only way to beat me is XYZ" and Clark just goes "Yeah, okay, I'll do that."

And while I like some of the pieces in isolation (Lois' involvement is great), every subplot further turns him into a supporting character in his own story.

I just got done rewatching Batman Begins, and the one thing they absolutely nailed to the wall is how that entire film is Bruce's movie. Everything ties back to him, he's at the crux of nearly every scene.

As for the other MoS stuff... I would've cared a lot more about Metropolis getting wrecked if we had SEEN or spent any time there beforehand. The Dark Knight trilogy, even at its weaker moments, always takes pains to give you a good sense of what Gotham is like and why we should care about it.

Man of Steel just goes "Oh yeah, metropolis gonna get hosed up!" without investing a single second of screentime to making the audience care.

To tie that back to Arrow, I love how this season has really done more to show us the state of Star City. Instead of isolating half the cast to the cavernous Queen mansion, everyone is off in different sections of the city showing us more and more facets.

Really? You didn't think that Man of Steel's biggest problem was that it was an episode (ok, half a dozen episodes, I know how slow they were) of dragon ball z masquerading as a superman movie?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, flying around and fistfighting powerful villains has no place in a Superman film.

When half the movie is one massive chaotic fight scene, it's excessive. cf: Nolan's Batman trilogy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The guy was on Dexter. The sets catching on fire would probably be nothing compared to the trainwrecks he has witnessed.

Trainwrecks are nothing compared to the trainwrecks he has witnessed.

Is there some kind of juicy behind the scenes drama that happened on Dexter that I don't know about?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ufarn posted:

Spartacus was a good examples of a show where each episode is its own movie.

I'm falling apart with no decent television to watch during this break period. Is Spartacus worth my time? I like me some Manu Bennett.

XboxPants posted:

Absolutely Madsen. Bullock needs to give off a constant air of "sleeze" and I think Madsen is just the guy to pull that off.

I agree, I think they're both characters. Either one would be pretty cool. Unless Combs is on the table, then all bets are off 'cause Jeffrey Combs.

Jeffrey Combs as...wait I don't care just stick him on the show make something up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Whelp I guess I know what I'm going to be doing for the next two weeks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Spartacus is worth anyone's time, it's spectacularly awesome. However, the stuff about having to slog through early S1 is true. My experience, which may change when I get around to rewatching the series, is that episode one was laughably bad, episode 2 was a big improvement, and the episodes following that continued to climb in quality until the loving-awesome episode 5, and then it kept that level of quality for the rest of the series.

Also, the dialogue could be seen by some as over-the-top - it's very theatrical and flowery (if flowers swore at you repeatedly). It's not BAD, but I feel that the main reason it works is that the actors sell the gently caress out of it, and without them it would not work so well, and still mightn't for some. The characters and plotting are straight-up awesome, though.

I slogged through smallville. I think I'll be able to handle it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

I decided to marathon 4400 a couple months ago because "hey look! Sci-fi show I haven't watched yet!", and it was physically jarring every time Jeffery Combs was on screen just because of how synonymous his voice is to the Question in my head.

But yeah. He's getting a little up there to play Q on arrow, unless they want to use him as an aging Vic Sage to help introduce Renee Montoya to the crew. That would be kickin' rad, but it would never happen.

Aren't there any elderly gentleman villains they could get him to play?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kruller posted:

I think I figured out what happened to Katie Cassidy's face/general look. She's been looking thinner recently, and I bet it's because she's training to take over as Black Canary. They said she becomes Black Canary "later than you hope, but sooner than you expect", and the end of this season fits that pretty well.

I didn't think it was possible for something to happen later than 'never'.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Is this coming back this Wednesday or next?

This Wednesday:neckbeard:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Whizbang posted:

I'm a time traveler from the future and Avengers 3 is a musical with Russel Crowe as Thanos and it's just the worst.

You broke my suspension of disbelief at 'Russell Crowe being the worst'. He was my second favourite Javere.

• Locked thread