Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I completely don't understand why this is one of the great segments of the bonus stream. I feel like there's something I'm not getting because all I'm seeing is two people playing a puzzle game.

A big part of what makes it great is that one of those two people is Medibot. :allears:

I don't think I've seen someone bullshit like that in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Roar posted:

The last ten minutes have been the most frustrating thing I've seen in a long time. I'm pretty sure they're trying to cut a plant but they've gotten nowhere close to it.

They also tried to teach Teleport to Pidgeot.

I can sort of see the appeal to watch this but oh my GOD it's so frustrating.

I just log in every once and a while to see how far they've gotten; I don't think there's anyway to make it compelling long term.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lazyfire posted:

I think it'll be harder for companies to do that with single player games without putting out a lot of the plot points or giving away parts of the game with that sort of video, so it'll probably happen forever with multiplayer games, but I doubt you'll see like, the 2 Best Friends channel doing a promotion for like Arkham Knight later this year.

They could do promotions if they stuck to the early levels, I suppose. Of course, that might be a problem too; if you only saw the first campaign of Alpha Protocol or the first three hours of Spec Ops I don't think it'd do much to convince you to buy the game.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

wottermelon posted:

Mike Kob's also done several speedruns/tutorials of God Hand and Dragon's Dogma. And though it's totally not an LP, how could you not mention this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyUArTDYYVc

If we didn't already have the ballad of Mike Haggar, I'd have considered that proof that LPs could be art. :allears:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jamesman posted:

As of yesterday, I have begun an experiment.

I have a proposal to expand your experiment.

If possible, try to make a compilation of all the positive moments you happen to encounter, and then show it to a randomly selected group of people who have not encountered any of his material before (ideally having not even heard of him, but at the very least people who have not seen any of his videos, or any of the compilation videos), and a compare their reactions to a group that has only viewed the negative compilations, and one which views unedited content from his channel.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 2, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

frozentreasure posted:

What if we did montages of both types for other LPers to see if other people are as abhorrent as DSP for as large a fraction of the content that they put out?

Too many variables; for proper experimental etiquette, you need to keep as many things constant as possible.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Five posted:

It's not really a Let's Play but a guy named LethalFrag on Twitch is currently going through a thing where he is doing no-pause runs on hard of every single ship. He's not broadcasting right this second, obviously.

I'm watching one of his recordings, and I have to say; while I'm not a fan of face-cams, I appreciate that he: 1. put some effort into it (looks like he's got a green screen set up) and 2. is animated enough that it adds a little to the experience rather than just staring at the screen glassy-eyed and slackjawed.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Rythian posted:

That doesn't stop this thread from functioning. :v: That's pretty much 80% of the posts in this thread.

Honestly, I'm in favor of it just so we can move all the bitching into another thread so that the people who want that can keep on keeping on, and I can ignore it. I want to hear about people on the internet who aren't complete poo poo.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chitoryu12 posted:

It's sort of a childlike view of it, thinking that they can just make money off of what they do right now when they're unemployed as long as they record themselves screaming when they do it.

It's the purest form of the American Dream, distilled and refined for the new generation. :patriot:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gaz-L posted:

I think another big turning point was when streaming and sharing gameplay footage was built into the XBox One and PS4. (Speaking of, the XBone Twitch app actually has facecam as default 'on', which saddens me.)

That kind of raises a question about ownership too, though. I mean, say Phil Fish gets his wish and everyone who uploads footage of his game has to pay him a royalty. Where do built in streaming capabilities fall under that? Does Microsoft have a clause in the Marketplace contract that says he gives up the right to collect money from them when their players stream fez?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hey, be fair; that's the dude's real voice, not an affectation.

SirShakes posted:

I just don't understand the appeal of playing a character while doing a Let's Play, especially one that is shrieking and yelling all the time. Do anymore of these things exist outside of Team Four Star? I hope it doesn't become a trend.

It's appeal lies mostly in it's status as an ancillary work to their much more popular Dragon Ball Z Abridged series. The in-character let's plays are just a way for them to make additional content for their utterly insatiable fans in between episodes of their focal work.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mr DJB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR5Ie9H3rMA

This guy is boss as gently caress and I need to include this in my Fallout 3 LP somehow. Including the reference to Kat Dennings.

This should do it.

That said, it won't have Three Dog howling over it, so you'll lose out on that. :(:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cheez posted:

That's when you just bypass the bypass detector and you go back to doing things as usual.

As long as they make it so that bypassing ads (and bypassing the bypass detectors ad nauseam) is more annoying than watching them, they've succeeded anyway.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Niggurath posted:

I don't know; would it make people feel better if EA or Visceral was filing the claim instead? Because I doubt they really want you making money off their game as well, though I do agree that these rando frivolous claims are annoying. I remember one I got years ago from silent, semi-ambient noises in a Silent Hill game...but it was silent, semi-ambient noises from Akira Yamaoka.

Honestly, I think they probably would. People wouldn't like it, but publishers and developers at least have what would be perceived as a legitimate claim to that material. Even copyright trolls can at least claim to be standing on solid (if low) legal ground. In a just world, repeatedly filing bad faith claims against someone else would be charged as fraud, but there's no way to reliably prosecute the thronging hordes of idiots looking to make a quick buck off of youtube's lovely DMCA.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

IGgy IGsen posted:

You know that doing this without consent is illegal in almost every civilized country, right?
I mean, unless the government does it.

One-Party Consent!

Assuming she lives in the US, unless VB lives in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Washington (not DC) or Illinois, she's got all the consent she needs to record any phone conversation, should she feel the urge to.

Edit: Caveat, you'd need to check the location of the call center your "actual person" is calling you from too, I suppose.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 27, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

VoidBurger posted:

I think since California is a two-party consent state, I have to abide by their laws AND mine, I don't think my state's laws cancel theirs out.

Also I have a feeling that saying "This conversation is being recorded" at the beginning is going to put a damper on whatever conversation we have, lol.

That's why I added the caveat that you should check which call center they're calling you from.

That said, the fact that the call is being recorded doesn't have to be a downer. In fact, they might end up giving you the "this call may be monitored for training purposes" shtick before you get started, or you can tell them you're recording in case you want to do a follow up article. The worst that'd do is make them more inclined to put their best face forward.

Just make sure not to put it in language that sounds like "I'm recording this so that I have ammunition to use against you in an upcoming class-action lawsuit," and I don't think you'll have a problem.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 27, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chitoryu12 posted:

Goddamn. Taken down by angry moms.

MASM: Mothers Against lovely Modders

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The only French Canadian swears I know are the ones raocow uses and I've been told he swears like an old person.

Do you mean in the "gosh-darnit to heck" sense, or the "Oh, right, grandpa was a sailor in his youth :stare:" sense?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Golden Goat posted:

Having encountered one "professional" fighting game expert that proudly told me about the time he and friends faked a call to an opponent saying their father died to get him out of the tournament I can say if they call themselves a professional fighting video game player they're usually assholes.

So were they ejected from the tournament for that, or...?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Golden Goat posted:

I honestly agree with DSP on Neon being a good game and that IGN is all over the place on it's reviews sometimes. Does that make me an awful person?

DSP isn't a shithead because he liked DD Neon. He's a shithead because he presented that opinion in a churlish manner, and engaged in personal attacks against someone who didn't hold the same opinion.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Unfunny Poster posted:

I sort of wish he's put his teaching background (what he did before he got fired and just made YT vids) and LPs together and taught poo poo you could learn from the games he's playing (there's a guy on Twitch who does this named Okaydrian) but he seems to be doing well with his own personality. I think he also had a show similar to this scheduled with Geek & Sundry (Felicia Day's YouTube thing) but I don't know if it got scrapped mid-production or not.

So I decided to watch one of Okaydrian's past broadcasts and loaded up a random Deus Ex: Human Revolution one. Was less than impressed by the ~30min of prestream music, some of which had been muted by twitch, but then when he finally gets on (and twitch unmutes) the first thing I hear out of his mouth is him lambasting his chat for being idiots. :allears: I think I like this guy.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Unfunny Poster posted:

He's pretty sarcastic with comments to the chat. Sometimes people fall for it and its wonderful.

He had a stream where he was like "OK I need to set a record. I'm gonna stream for 24 minutes straight" and some people not used to the stream were like "are you serious?"

I didn't mean it as a negative. And for some reason the facecam doesn't bother me as much when he's doing his educator thing with it. I couldn't tell you exactly why though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FactsAreUseless posted:

Without sarcasm, SA is better than YouTube comments.

Can you name even one thing that YouTube comments are better than though? Saying that 1 > 0 might be true, but it doesn't say anything impressive about 1.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Trojan Kaiju posted:

It is only an episode in and it looks like the update schedule will be fairly slow, but this guy Josh Trevett is doing a critical Let's Play of Dark Souls in which he goes into detail about its Joseph Campbell influences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKvHC2-UhL0

We need more people doing this poo poo. I'm all for people just having fun with an LP, and I certainly don't want to say that everyone should be thinking critically about games all the time, but it sure as gently caress doesn't hurt for people to give it a little more thought too. Especially when so many people are happy to just ape some swede screaming about rape.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

a cartoon duck posted:

was shamus the guy who got really mad about NASA's space program being cancelled because he got stuffed into lockers a lot?

I think that was Bob Chipman (guy who did movie reviews for a while,) who asserted that NASA was a better use of money than programs aimed at feeding the needy and the like, because it represented some kind of "grand optimism." As if we should be proud of the fact that we were more concerned with winning a dick waving competition with the Soviet Union than making sure people didn't starve or freeze to death in the streets. :jerkbag:

Don't get me wrong, I think NASA and the sciences and all the government programs funding them are great, but he explicitly pushed back against the idea that maybe we should put a higher priority on social welfare because he saw it as less important than shooting things into space.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
If the first chapter isn't about punching trees to get lumber, then they're completely non-cannon and can be safely ignored.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Personally I'm just surprised it took this long for a producer to try it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

paradoxGentleman posted:

And what has Konami done to ruin its reputation like that? I really need to find a way to keep abreast of gaming news...

http://www.geek.com/games/the-only-thing-konami-hates-more-than-you-is-silent-hill-1630257/

quote:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Phil and Konami could probably bond over mutual dislike of Kojima.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah, if you could find a way to harness how much youtube rolls over at the slightest hint of a copyright claim, you could power the entire western hemisphere.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Is it the EVE stuff? No offense meant, but your LP's seem to be pretty niche.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Golden Goat posted:

It being niche doesn't really matter. Re-uploading somebody else's poo poo is kinda lovely if you don't at least get permission first.

I didn't mean it that way; any time someone tries to pass off someone else's work as their own, it's lovely. I just meant that I was having trouble identifying a motive for it. Usually when people plagiarize, it's because they expect to benefit from it in some way.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
This strikes me as relevant:

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/important-win-fair-use-dancing-baby-lawsuit

quote:

Today, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled that copyright holders like Universal must consider fair use before trying to remove content from the Internet. It also rejected Universal’s claim that a victim of takedown abuse cannot vindicate her rights if she cannot show actual monetary loss.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jamesman posted:

All you really need to know is that YouTube's copyright system gives absolutely zero fucks about Fair Use. It literally does not factor in at all.

Yeah, you'll more than likely still get strikes (corporations will just claim that they "considered" fair use before auto-DMCAing), this just makes it easier to push back if you decide you've had enough of their poo poo.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

paradoxGentleman posted:

As a university student I take offense to that. My cooking sucks big time but even I realize that Mountain Dew should not appear on a list of ingredients.

You... might be able to glaze a ham with it?

Maybe. That's all I've got though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
:tvtropes: doesn't exist because it's a site full of delightful, restrained people with a firm grasp on reality and social mores.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't know. You coming in here to quote a week old post shortly after being made the butt of a lovely joke is a lot more petty than anything I've posted there.

It was awfully nice of them to provide an example of what you were talking about though.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

slowbeef posted:

Bad as the game is, I don't get to cut Sonic 06 into 30-second chunks. OR DO I?????

I mean, there's no way for anyone to stop you from doing that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

dijon du jour posted:

I believe TB himself has said before that his type of cancer is linked to a lifestyle that mostly consists of sitting down, and his line of work (playing video games and making videos) necessitates a lot of sitting down. That's the logic, and it makes sense.

drat it John, standing desks are a thing. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Isn't it colon cancer that he was having problems with though? I thought he meant that the sitting itself is what aggravated his condition.

• Locked thread